Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Thankfully it (at least the Shadow Warrior version) lets you to remove the closest stain with a console command, because 99.5% is good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
MGSV: why is "dismiss Quiet" right under "Chose Quiet sniping point"? Twice today I've accidentally dismissed her. And it costs money to bring her back so I end up doing the missions alone.

Also if there's a side op, and you go up to a chopper and a new one that's near by appears, the old one disappears, so you're not able to do two missions that are near each other at once; instead, you have to have the stupid chopper pick you up and then the old one reappears. Which, again, costs money. And, all new side ops are for whatever reason crazy far from each other in general so trying to get 100% in a pain in the rear end with all the traveling and helicoptering.

OH and there's no way to sort side ops so only new ones are displayed so you have to scroll through 100 greeted out or already-done ones to fine the one that you haven't done yet.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Dec 11, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Arrath posted:

How much effort did you put into illustrating those leaves?

I stole a png. I'll make the effort to provide an example, but I'm not that dedicated.

Fake edit: if anyone gives a poo poo (why?), I'll make a series of images about the annoying quirks of the Sniffer.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Dec 12, 2015

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Thoughtless posted:

The "sniffer" also doesn't work at all in that game, or at least it doesn't in the Shadow Warrior one. Like, I've cleaned all the blood, it still beeps. That means there's still blood around, right? Nope, I used a console command to remove all the blood. It still beeps at varying frequencies, seemingly randomly.

It has two modes, one for detecting organic matter, and one for detecting detritus.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

It's hardly dragging the game down but it's a shame you can't check your stats during a mission in Dishonoured. Getting to the end of a mission to find out that I didn't successfully remain undetected is loving annoying.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Death Zebra posted:

It's hardly dragging the game down but it's a shame you can't check your stats during a mission in Dishonoured. Getting to the end of a mission to find out that I didn't successfully remain undetected is loving annoying.

At least you get end-of-mission stats. Human Revolution doesn't have any way of checking if you've been detected or killed someone until you beat the game.

And both games have achievements for non-lethal playthroughs but have tutorials that strongly encourage you to kill people as part of teaching you the controls and have no indication that the kills that happen in the tutorial count towards the actual game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Does Dishonored actually have an achievement for that? Everyone bitched about that game's morality system but I got the best ending possible despite slaughtering everyone in the intro and last two levels wholesale (about 200 corpses worth).

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ryoshi posted:

Does Dishonored actually have an achievement for that? Everyone bitched about that game's morality system but I got the best ending possible despite slaughtering everyone in the intro and last two levels wholesale (about 200 corpses worth).

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I mean, would you prefer that you don't get a tutorial on the game's (very good) combat system just in case you want to do a perfect clean hands run blind? That would drag the game down a hell of a lot more.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sleeveless posted:

And both games have achievements for non-lethal playthroughs but have tutorials that strongly encourage you to kill people as part of teaching you the controls and have no indication that the kills that happen in the tutorial count towards the actual game.

Wait if you kill enemies in Human Revolution in the tutorial section before you get augmented, that still counts as kills for the achievement? That's bogus as hell.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There is also an apartment in Detroit where if you tranq a thug before triggering a dialogue (he tells you to take a hike when you get close to him) it will count as a kill.

When I did a non-lethal run I used Gibbed's achievement manager at the end. I did a similar thing for the achievement that involves reading all the e-books/logs. I think the way they integrated the Missing Link DLC in the Director's Cut broke that one.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
To be fair I imagine a "don't kill anyone" run in most games tends to be something intended for second or third playthroughs, rather than the initial blind one.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
I've taken to doing the non-lethal playthrough first, then second playthrough going lethal, as it's cathartic not giving a poo poo and just killing everyone after going through the effort of a no kill run. For me, at least, doing it backwards is a frustrating experience. I agree there should be a tutorial showing off how to actually fight dudes but having it affect the whole run is pretty bogus. At the start of DX:HR you're still fully human against impossible odds, fighting obvious murderers. It's not until later you're in a position where sparing enemies has any real moral merit. It's dumb.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't know about DX but again in Dishonored you can kill a fifth of the people you come across and still qualify for the non lethal ending. That achievement is meant for something to do when you've played the game is million times and want a special challenge, not one of two major ways to play the game.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
Well, that's not really a "Non-lethal" ending, just the "You didn't kill over [arbitrary number of] people ending". Not that I wish there was a perfect non-lethal ending or anything. They are just worthless achievements, yeah, but would it really be so bad to have the tutorial not count for kills? I forget if you were super-powered during the prison breakout, however. If you were then kills there should count toward achievement status. It's nice having 3rd/4th playthough goals but you shouldn't be locked out things for just doing what the game wants you to.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xythe posted:

At the start of DX:HR you're still fully human against impossible odds, fighting obvious murderers. It's not until later you're in a position where sparing enemies has any real moral merit. It's dumb.
That whole tutorial section is bad in a lot of ways. For one, it's way harder than the bit that follows it. For another, when the reason you want to play the game is to be an augmented super-soldier, making you first play through a bit where you have no augs is dumb - same as how Jedi Outcast made you do the first level with no light sabre or force powers. The fact that new game plus (where the whole point is that you get to keep your augs as you go through the game again) still makes you go through that unskippable pseudo-cutscene (which was bad enough the first time) and then do that level with no augs just makes it even worse. And then it ends up being one of those sections where you're scripted to lose, which always pisses me off. And actually new game plus in that game is just a complete waste of time. You don't get to keep your inventory, just your augs, and there are cheats you can use to just give yourself all the augs you want anyway, so that's not really of any value.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A game I legitimately love, Startopia, has an issue that normally isn't one for me:

It gets too easy. Basically, even at the most difficult settings, Startopia's sandbox is an excercise in experiencing the economic singularly.

Let's say it takes you ~2 hours to get to the point where you're making enough cash that your currency-storing building caps out. Since excess cash is drains away, you need to buy another currency-storing building to store the excess. Now you have twice the liquid currency that you did before, and that allows you to improve your economic engine. Doing that ensures that it'll take half the time to fill both buildings. So you'll need another, and another, and another.

The description of the currency-storing building says not to put too many too close to each other, lest Bad poo poo happens. I'm guessing the Bad poo poo was removed from the gameplay because good lord.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Xythe posted:

I've taken to doing the non-lethal playthrough first, then second playthrough going lethal, as it's cathartic not giving a poo poo and just killing everyone after going through the effort of a no kill run. For me, at least, doing it backwards is a frustrating experience. I agree there should be a tutorial showing off how to actually fight dudes but having it affect the whole run is pretty bogus. At the start of DX:HR you're still fully human against impossible odds, fighting obvious murderers. It's not until later you're in a position where sparing enemies has any real moral merit. It's dumb.

And then there's games like MGS5, where killing your enemies is rarely more beneficial than tranqing and extracting them out for pretty much all of the game. The only kills I've really made in my playthrough so far have been helicopters, Skulls, and an outpost or two I cleared out with Quiet right after I got her... In order to build up her Bond enough to get the tranq rifle.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Her Story is great but has some terrible empty cup space work.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Xythe posted:

What makes it a million times worse is the smarmy pseudo morality of the ending - "Oh yeah I totally abused my powers sometimes and lost some of my humanity" says the main character who only killed people that literally stormed the office where he was employed as chief of security and did not actually have any augmentations or powers yet. It is literally in his job description to gun those motherfuckers down and absolutely ludicrous to have any kind of crisis of conscience over it.

That whole dumb ending was just terrible all around, although the post credits scene was pretty great.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't remember how much effort I put into playing DXHR non-lethally but I certainly killed some people outside of the tutorial and got the "i mostly tried to do the right thing" ending. It didn't seem that strict, not that that makes the ending itself suck any less.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Say what you will though it's still better than the Fallout 4 ending. I mean for that I didn't expect something like the early Fallouts had with scenes from places you went to and how you affected them but this time it's literally just the same lovely 20 second clip no matter what you do. Again, I wasn't even expecting much while I was playing and how the story played out but that was still weak.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

2house2fly posted:

I don't remember how much effort I put into playing DXHR non-lethally but I certainly killed some people outside of the tutorial and got the "i mostly tried to do the right thing" ending. It didn't seem that strict, not that that makes the ending itself suck any less.

I tried to stay pacifist until Maliks chopper crash.

I don't think the original DX really gave a poo poo if you went lethal after Paul goes rogue.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

2house2fly posted:

That's because DX:HR's ending doesn't care how many people you killed. It only cares how many sidequests you did and what button you pressed at the end.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

I don't think the original DX really gave a poo poo if you went lethal after Paul goes rogue.

Same except for me it was when they slaughter everyone in the slum in China. gently caress that, they can all eat lead now.

And the original barely cares about lethality at all, it just provides a few different dialog lines for like three characters total. It just happens to make nonlethal runs through the first several missions really fun anyway.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lol if you don't kill every person that you can regardless of whatever game you're playing

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Regalingualius posted:

And then there's games like MGS5, where killing your enemies is rarely more beneficial than tranqing and extracting them out for pretty much all of the game. The only kills I've really made in my playthrough so far have been helicopters, Skulls, and an outpost or two I cleared out with Quiet right after I got her... In order to build up her Bond enough to get the tranq rifle.

Up until you start filling your base out anyway. "B rank in Intel? That's all you got? GOODNIGHT, SUCKA!" :commissar:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Lol if you don't kill every person that you can regardless of whatever game you're playing

Sleeping Dogs taught me that people to trunk to sea quotas are a cornerstone of working as an undercover cop.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Action Tortoise posted:

Is this even possible in a non lethal run?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, but you need enough equipment/ammo ahead of time so it's possible to end up there with no way to do it non-lethally.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, but you need enough equipment/ammo ahead of time so it's possible to end up there with no way to do it non-lethally.

I mean, the option to fail at the sequence but continue on with the story and non-lethal run exists, so there's no confusion.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Supposedly but you need to run a perfect route to save her.

I'm fighting Kyogre and I can whittle him to a single sliver of red but he still rips through like 7 ultra balls. I used my only net ball on a loving relicanth

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Yep, and it's honestly no harder than a lethal run. It's basically identical: run in, stun-gun both the heavy soldiers, drop an EMP to destroy the bot, stun or punch the snipers, stun or punch everyone else at your leisure.

I did it in a no-augs non-lethal run as well by just eating a bunch of candy bars and punching people. I couldn't do it no-augs/no-items, though. There's no way to punch people quickly enough, and that's your only method of attack in that run.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah saving Malik in a nonlethal run of DX:HR is actually pretty easy as long as you know to run to the right side first, everything pretty much falls into place. Malik takes like 90% of the aggro, so you just run up to everyone and stungun them, and drop an EMP on the robot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

oldpainless posted:

In DX:HR I didn't kill any non-aggressive NPCs if there were witnesses, but if I saw a cop hanging around by himself, well, I could probably use some more ammo. Seems wasteful not to kill him, really. It was fun seeing how many people I could kill in the police station and still walk out without getting shot at.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yep, and it's honestly no harder than a lethal run. It's basically identical: run in, stun-gun both the heavy soldiers, drop an EMP to destroy the bot, stun or punch the snipers, stun or punch everyone else at your leisure.

I did it in a no-augs non-lethal run as well by just eating a bunch of candy bars and punching people. I couldn't do it no-augs/no-items, though. There's no way to punch people quickly enough, and that's your only method of attack in that run.

It took me more than a few tries because a couple of bodies would reliably be next to the robot when the EMP blew it up, which counts against you.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

The Witcher 2 has a weird progression where if you main alchemy you'll be weak and struggling for a lot of the game and then suddenly during the late game a switch flips over the course of about half an hour of progression and you become an unkillable god.

That's just the Witcher II in general, that game has a really bizarre difficulty curve. The most challenging non-boss fight in the entire game for me was in the goddamn prologue where you have to fight five dudes and you have almost no abilities. I died dozens and dozens of times in Chapter I, whereas in the later two chapters I rarely died and was able to beat the final two boss fights just by button mashing.

That said, still preferable to Bethesda-style level scaling since at least you get that sense of progression.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Guess what? It's 'complain about Fallout 4 time' again! I'll admit they did a lot right, but this main quest is just so shoddily constructed that it lets the rest of the game down. By a lot.

So I'm now at a point in the main quest where they force you to align with one of the major factions. They're clearly trying to learn from New Vegas here by offering three very distinctly different groups, which is nice because that was a really good part of New Vegas' story, but they've hosed up in both of the ways New Vegas made it work.

1. All these factions suck. New Vegas made it work by making all three of the major forces very viable choices, with both upsides and downsides that can compel you to either side with or go against them depending on how you feel; the NCR is democratic yet overstretched, the Legion is (supposed to be) authoritarian and fascistic yet remarkably lawful, and House has kept New Vegas in its sovereign state ever since the bombs for better or worse. 4, in comparison, has utterly failed at that; the Minutemen and the Railroad are very slightly different brands of well-meaning yet ineffectual freedom-fighters, and the Brotherhood is just a better-equipped version of the same. I know I'll be able to side with the Institute later, but that doesn't help me now, and they haven't exactly been putting forward the best case thus far either.

And 2. They forgot the most important part of New Vegas' faction setup: Yes Man. The in-built and totally viable option to say 'no, all of these options are wrong and I'm not taking any'. Even if you ultimately want to go with the Institute you're still forced to get help from one of the three freedom-fighter factions, and even there you're just trading in straight-up heroism for siding with the obvious bad guys (that actually have a remarkably similar M.O. to the Brotherhood anyway; the Institute are just sneakier). With every faction being basically the same, we could really use a way to say 'yeah I'm actually not all that into heroism with laser beams, I'm gonna do my own thing'. The worst part is that there's actually a perfect setup to do that: you're going to them to get help in building a teleportation relay, but you have the plans for the relay. It is theoretically possible that you could do this yourself, given you do the actual construction work anyway, but gently caress you, go choose between the lovely identical factions they wrote.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inco posted:

It took me more than a few tries because a couple of bodies would reliably be next to the robot when the EMP blew it up, which counts against you.
Oh, I forgot about that. I think it can only hit the two Heavies, so I just dumped their bodies elsewhere before it showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I gave up on trying to avoid incidental kills to save my sanity after the time I tased a hobo and he fell in the sewer and drowned.