Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Seriously. He ran the playtest to hype the game and spent most of the time describing doors and walls. I liked when the dude wanted to play a warlord and he had to awkwardly explain how a paladin is basically the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Also the one playtest where he was on the other side of the screen he played a dwarf fighter named "MC Killsalot" wearing a steel top hat and steel tuxedo. Those streams were all painful to watch.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Really Pants posted:

You could take every Forgotten Realms location and culture that isn't a half-assed copy of something historical, mash them all together into a single place, and nobody would even notice.

If they did that, my official canon knowledge of how many dicks Yuan-ti have in FR would go to waste*

*never read FR novels

edit: the answer is two.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The interesting thing about Sasquatch Game Studio is that it includes Richard Baker, who has good 4e credits.

Richard Baker was one of the designers of the 4e Gamma World game and worked on the Dark Sun books which people often credit with being the turning point when 4e got really good.

The other two guys are early to mid 4e and late 3e designers. Hopefully they manage to make something interesting.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
All this talk of Mearls GMing and no mention of "Roll a wisdom save to see if you fall asleep while lying in ambush!" Which I think was about on the same level of bad as the adventure grinding to a halt because of a failed check.

An apt metaphor for Mearls' GM skills: nothing ever happens and even the characters are bored.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
So... No wonder the latest DMG does not actually offer you much in the way of DM advice.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

ascendance posted:

Incidentally, anyone see a video or listen to a podcast of Mike Mearls running a game? Is he any good?
He's terrible. Although I have run into someone on ENWorld that was impressed by his DMing on the livestream.

And mark me down as someone else who found the 4e Realms simultaneously the version of the Realms I found most interesting and a terrible idea. Different people are allowed to like different things, and the 4e realms took away what the people who liked the Realms liked about it. That I disliked it for those same reasons doesn't mean that I think they should have been locked out of their favourite setting. I like all of PoLand, Eberron, and Dark Sun. There's no reason not to let the Realms-lovers have their setting.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Mearls just seems like a really, really terrible person to game with. As a DM he's dull, out of touch and obsessed with walls and WIS checks, as a player, he did very little prep and brought a totally off-spec and out-of-theme character and proceeded to 'hilariously' dominate the gameplay with his ridiculously dickish character.

It's a real shame he's in charge, basically.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mormon Star Wars posted:

If they did that, my official canon knowledge of how many dicks Yuan-ti have in FR would go to waste*

*never read FR novels

edit: the answer is two.

Well given the main Yuan-ti religion involves being dicks for no reason. (In order to wake up their sleeping god they think they have to do evil acts that can't benefit them in anyway other then pleasure.) So if every Yuan-ti is a huge dick I supposed you could say they have 3.

(Note: I did not know Yuan-ti had 2.)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

neonchameleon posted:

He's terrible. Although I have run into someone on ENWorld that was impressed by his DMing on the livestream.

And mark me down as someone else who found the 4e Realms simultaneously the version of the Realms I found most interesting and a terrible idea. Different people are allowed to like different things, and the 4e realms took away what the people who liked the Realms liked about it. That I disliked it for those same reasons doesn't mean that I think they should have been locked out of their favourite setting. I like all of PoLand, Eberron, and Dark Sun. There's no reason not to let the Realms-lovers have their setting.

Shoving all of the untouchable GMPC-style Mary Sues off to the side--of which FR has loving dozens--isn't killing the setting.

Pretty much every other setting in D&D has a distinct flavor that sets the tone without relying on NPCs to dictate the world, FR has a kitchen sink and a bunch of characters whose main traits are how powerful and in control of everything they are.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 5, 2015

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

mastershakeman posted:

Was FR ever really not flavorless? I don't see how it was ever special or in need of being protected from outside influences.

I live in Central Ontario which is the model for the Dales. It is an accurate simulation. I spend many a day running around rolling hills meeting hippes and orcs. Torontodeep has a large number of underground passages.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Shoving all of the untouchable GMPC-style Mary Sues off to the side--of which FR has loving dozens--isn't killing the setting.

Pretty much every other setting in D&D has a distinct flavor that sets the tone without relying on NPCs to dictate the world, FR has a kitchen sink and a bunch of characters whose main traits are how powerful and in control of everything they are.

Tuning back Drizzt, Elminster & co. is one thing, but when the gods being huge Mary Sue GMPCs constantly dicking around with events has been a defining flavor of your setting pretty much from the get-go, finding a new direction to replace it can get awkward.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

MalcolmSheppard posted:

I live in Central Ontario which is the model for the Dales. It is an accurate simulation. I spend many a day running around rolling hills meeting hippes and orcs. Torontodeep has a large number of underground passages.
Torontodeep is also run by a faceless cabal of masked people. Or more to the point, our city councillors act as masks for the Lords of Waterdeep, who are mostly real estate developers.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Mearls just seems like a really, really terrible person to game with. As a DM he's dull, out of touch and obsessed with walls and WIS checks, as a player, he did very little prep and brought a totally off-spec and out-of-theme character and proceeded to 'hilariously' dominate the gameplay with his ridiculously dickish character.

It's a real shame he's in charge, basically.

I imagine those games were also partially setup to spotlight him and the other players and the DM were to go along with it or else they'd find someone else to put in the role and they wouldn't get to be on the internet with the great Mike Mearls.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Littlefinger posted:

Tuning back Drizzt, Elminster & co. is one thing, but when the gods being huge Mary Sue GMPCs constantly dicking around with events has been a defining flavor of your setting pretty much from the get-go, finding a new direction to replace it can get awkward.

Realtalk, cutting down on the number of Gods was pretty dumb because half the fun of Forgotten Realms games are allying yourself with bizarre gods. There used to brow a Drow pantheon that had some pretty interesting and ambiguous figures - all of them but Lolth got killed off in a novel series.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
So I'm looking to buy the 5e Player's Handbook, but I'm wondering what's in it that's not covered in the booklet in the Starter Set, or the free rules available online? Mostly character creation stuff?

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Hatter106 posted:

So I'm looking to buy the 5e Player's Handbook, but I'm wondering what's in it that's not covered in the booklet in the Starter Set, or the free rules available online? Mostly character creation stuff?
Yup. Basically a poo poo ton of classes, character options, and the like.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

ImpactVector posted:

Also the one playtest where he was on the other side of the screen he played a dwarf fighter named "MC Killsalot" wearing a steel top hat and steel tuxedo.
Okay that part actually sounds amazing. I'm sure he found some way to screw it up though.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Wait, they moved the Temple of Elemental Evil to FR? Did the villiage of Hommlet just drop from the sky?

It's not like there isn't precedent. They moved the Desert of Desolation adventures from GH to FR when they reprinted the trilogy in one volume, and Kara-Tur started out in GH, moved to generic fantasyland by the time OA saw print, and moved again to FR during the 1e-2e transition.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hatter106 posted:

Big thing is that the PHB covers all the classes and class archetypes, but otherwise all the "what can I do" mechanics are actually in the Basic Rules.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Ratpick posted:

All this talk of Mearls GMing and no mention of "Roll a wisdom save to see if you fall asleep while lying in ambush!" Which I think was about on the same level of bad as the adventure grinding to a halt because of a failed check.

An apt metaphor for Mearls' GM skills: nothing ever happens and even the characters are bored.

Why the gently caress would you do a Wisdom check to see if you fall asleep instead of using Constitution, a far more fitting ability score?

(Because Caster Supremacy, duh! :rolleye:)

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
I know it's been mentioned in this thread before, but I don't think it can be overstated just how infuriating it is to have all the magic items and some of the players options (death domain, 'blackguard') in the DM's guide. It's bad enough that my players need to borrow my book if we ever start a campaign at a level higher than 1, now I need to keep two books open on my desk and go back and forth between them when figuring out what treasure to give out. Freaking ridiculous.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

IT BEGINS posted:

I know it's been mentioned in this thread before, but I don't think it can be overstated just how infuriating it is to have all the magic items and some of the players options (death domain, 'blackguard') in the DM's guide. It's bad enough that my players need to borrow my book if we ever start a campaign at a level higher than 1, now I need to keep two books open on my desk and go back and forth between them when figuring out what treasure to give out. Freaking ridiculous.

3E did it that way, so that should be reason enough. :colbert:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It's the whole DM EMPOWERMENT thing. IT'S IN THE DMG! ONLY THE DM DECIDES IF YOU CAN USE IT OR NOT!

Yes, this is a hobby where they intentionally withhold information because otherwise human beings would have to talk to each other, and that's to be avoided.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's the whole DM EMPOWERMENT thing. IT'S IN THE DMG! ONLY THE DM DECIDES IF YOU CAN USE IT OR NOT!

Yes, this is a hobby where they intentionally withhold information because otherwise human beings would have to talk to each other, and that's to be avoided.
...Wait what? That doesn't even make sense. Witholding information from the PHB means the players and DM have to talk to each other.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Chaltab posted:

...Wait what? That doesn't even make sense. Witholding information from the PHB means the players and DM have to talk to each other.

No, it means the DM can edict whether or not the classes are alright, and the players MUST go to the DM for permission first. It means the players don't get "entitled" into thinking they're "allowed" it.

It's all just intense antisocial power games wankery.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chaltab posted:

I don't know if 3E did this, but the inclusion of items in the 4E PHB meant that players could specify exactly what items they wanted for their character. Never mind the fact that the math and design needed it, some players really resented that.

Isolating it to the DMG means less talking and more just taking what the DM deigns to give you.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

It's not that they could specify what they wanted, that poo poo happened anyways because people would just take and/or buy a DMG anyway. The literal placement of the items in the DMG is, to these broken people, an unspoken acknowledgement that the DM is the final and only arbiter of what items are given out and when this is my world that I have crafted, every potion, every scroll, every magic weapon was put there by meeeeee

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012
It's kinda like how more than half the races were categorized as "uncommon" so that DMs could feel more justified in arbitrarily banning them.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There are many games that give GMs more power or give players more power. The big difference is that D&D isn't as explicit about who gets what power, everyone has their own differing ideas about what the balance should be, and the target audience is too antisocial to discuss it with civility.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
They should move the wizard class to the DMG. :getin:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

First Bass posted:

They should move the wizard class to the DMG. :getin:

Moving the fighter and rogue classes to the DMG with a note that says "these classes are actually just not very good any more but are included anyway for legacy reasons" would have been loving amazing.

I also suspect it would have solved all kinds of balance problems without pissing off the real audience very much.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Dick Burglar posted:

Why the gently caress would you do a Wisdom check to see if you fall asleep instead of using Constitution, a far more fitting ability score?

I actually can kind of see the point of making it a Wis save, but it only makes sense in the context of D&D.

The thing is, as has been pointed out in this thread a number of times, 5e often refers to spells in order to explain how certain things in the world work. A truth serum works as a localized version of zone of truth, amnesia dust (if it were to exist) would refer you to the amnesia spell. Hell, I'm actually kind of surprised that we've yet to see a ventriloquist's dummy that let's you cast ventriloquism provided you have sufficient skill in Perform.

In light of that design it makes perfect sense that Mearls would think "Hmm they're getting really tired and weary lying in ambush, how would I emulate this with the rules? Of course, the sleep spell!"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would question why a D&D hero has a chance to loving fall asleep at such an important junction in the first place.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would question why a D&D hero has a chance to loving fall asleep at such an important junction in the first place.

I tried to stay up all night once and it was haaaaaard.

See also: I exercised once and I got really tired, I hurt my back lifting a crate of soda and it took months to heal, and I once held my mouse by its cord and am such a giant klutz that I couldn't flick it back into my hand.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 6, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

AlphaDog posted:

Moving the fighter and rogue classes to the DMG with a note that says "these classes are actually just not very good any more but are included anyway for legacy reasons" would have been loving amazing.

I also suspect it would have solved all kinds of balance problems without pissing off the real audience very much.

Change the name of the game to Wizards & Muscle Wizards :allears:

Has anybody run a muscle wizard before? It is super fun, actually, to make a less-than-optimal wizard or fighter 1/wizard <the rest of the levels> with like 18 Strength who can lift dudes off the ground by their head and then release a Shocking Grasp charge.

Dick Burglar posted:

Also, it's going to come down to what actually constitutes your "willpower" for any given source of adversity. Like, is your ability to hold a hot object in your hand despite the pain a function of your physical toughness, or your mental ability to override the instinct to drop that thing? I feel like there should be a Feat called "True Grit", with a minimum level or a high Constitution pre-req or something, that lets you make Will saves using your Fort roll.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

I tried to stay up all night once and it was haaaaaard.

See also: I exercised once and I got really tired, I hurt my back lifting a crate of soda and it took months to heal, and I once held my mouse by its cord and am such a giant klutz that I couldn't flick it back into my hand.

Yeah, I know. I was being rhetorical.

It's just - drat, they give Battle Masters a half-assed Vancian casting system, but then you can't use it for anything except deal more damage or take less damage because something in the ability always has to be tied to the Superiority Dice's roll. The Fighter still can't duplicate the Alarm spell without going DM-may-I (and if they did, it'd probably be something silly like "you're guaranteed to stay awake for the first ... *rolls d8 Superiority die* ... 3 hours of your watch"

And then they give Eldritch Knights a Vancian casting system, period, but then limit the schools to Evocation and Abjuration.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Ratpick posted:

I actually can kind of see the point of making it a Wis save, but it only makes sense in the context of D&D.

The thing is, as has been pointed out in this thread a number of times, 5e often refers to spells in order to explain how certain things in the world work. A truth serum works as a localized version of zone of truth, amnesia dust (if it were to exist) would refer you to the amnesia spell. Hell, I'm actually kind of surprised that we've yet to see a ventriloquist's dummy that let's you cast ventriloquism provided you have sufficient skill in Perform.

In light of that design it makes perfect sense that Mearls would think "Hmm they're getting really tired and weary lying in ambush, how would I emulate this with the rules? Of course, the sleep spell!"

Pretty sure that amnesia dust would refer you to fireball, the true amnesia spell.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

deadly_pudding posted:

Change the name of the game to Wizards & Muscle Wizards :allears:

Remove all Wizards and just keep Muscle Wizards. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine