Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I just bought RE6 for free with Playfire credit. :toot: I hope some west coast goon is willing to play with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I enjoyed what I played of RE6 Mercenaries mode but then I kept trying to play the campaign and I just never want to touch the game again.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
A little mini-review of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Pros:

The game is very pretty. It has the best-realized forest environments I've seen in any game, and some of the vistas you can see are lovely.
Sound and music are pretty good and atmospheric, though sparse, which matches the kind of lonely feel of the game.

Cons:

The puzzles aren't very challenging, and most can be solved with a bit of trial-and-error. There aren't more than a dozen or so of them. Myst, this is not.
The big one: the game is short. Very short. I finished it in a bit over three hours and while I enjoyed it, I don't think it's really worth the $20 it costs at the moment.

The developers definitely have some chops behind them, and I hope their next title is larger and more complex if this one is a success for them. However I'd recommend waiting on a sale for this.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I thought the character that you play in Ethan Carter was the same guy who did the voice for Garrett in the Thief games, but apparently not. Sounds pretty similar, though!

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Geomancing posted:

A little mini-review of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Pros:

The game is very pretty. It has the best-realized forest environments I've seen in any game, and some of the vistas you can see are lovely.
Sound and music are pretty good and atmospheric, though sparse, which matches the kind of lonely feel of the game.

Cons:

The puzzles aren't very challenging, and most can be solved with a bit of trial-and-error. There aren't more than a dozen or so of them. Myst, this is not.
The big one: the game is short. Very short. I finished it in a bit over three hours and while I enjoyed it, I don't think it's really worth the $20 it costs at the moment.

The developers definitely have some chops behind them, and I hope their next title is larger and more complex if this one is a success for them. However I'd recommend waiting on a sale for this.

I strongly disagree! The game is perfect in tone and mood, focusing on the difficulty of the puzzles or the length of the game completely misses the point. The writing, the music, and the atmosphere are amazing and I haven't been so strongly affected by a game in years. Totally worth buying full price.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Is RE6 better on controller or kbm? I would think kbm, but apparently melee matters more than guns...

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Semisponge posted:

I strongly disagree! The game is perfect in tone and mood, focusing on the difficulty of the puzzles or the length of the game completely misses the point. The writing, the music, and the atmosphere are amazing and I haven't been so strongly affected by a game in years. Totally worth buying full price.

I agree that the tone was good, but I didn't expect to finish it in one short afternoon session.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Pirate Jet posted:

Is RE6 better on controller or kbm? I would think kbm, but apparently melee matters more than guns...

Both work rather well, I preferred mouse and keyboard, the shooting is not the most important, but setting up combos with it is fun.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

I enjoyed what I played of RE6 Mercenaries mode but then I kept trying to play the campaign and I just never want to touch the game again.

I quit the campaign as soon as it gave me access to the main menu. That's all I really have to say about RE6.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Mercs mode is ridiculously good

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Luisfe posted:

RE6 is really the best brawler since God Hand.

I can't believe I'm going to buy this game in the next sale now.

Unless it's cheap somewhere else?

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Luisfe posted:

Really? Sold.

Acquire Currency! posted:

I can't believe I'm going to buy this game in the next sale now.

Unless it's cheap somewhere else?
It's $7.50 from GMG with coupon right now.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Comparisons to Godhand are misguided. Resi 6 mercs is fun, but I'd be hard-pressed to draw any similarities between the two games.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Anonymous Robot posted:

Comparisons to Godhand are misguided. Resi 6 mercs is fun, but I'd be hard-pressed to draw any similarities between the two games.

RE6 isn't even a particularly good Resident Evil game. It's several ladders down from God Hand.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
In cast anyone actually bought Fight the Dragon during its sale over the weekend, I made a failure of a thread to discuss it:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3667966

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm pretty sure the dev team(programmers + artists + designers) for Ethan Carter was literally 6 people. $20 for a 3-4 hour AAA quality adventure-horror game by a small team of industry vets seems reasonable to me. If they had charged like $40+ that'd be insane.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Morter posted:

Then why the hell doesn't anyone else want to play it? :mad:

Because God Hand was pretty obscure, so few even make the connection, and because people never got over the (arguably reasonable) expectation that it would be another RE game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Luisfe posted:

I hope people don't actually take this seriously and buy RE6 expecting a deep brawler or anything.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
So Residue is really good.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/265790/

You get to investigate the disappearance of the Aral Sea. It's cool.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ddraig posted:

RE6 isn't even a particularly good Resident Evil game.

Resident Evil was always about a genuine, sincere love for schlock*. People have this weird assumption that b-movies, by virtue of being low-budget movies by amateurs, can't be scary, or achieve whatever else their intended result may be. People will constantly make fun of lines like "Jill Sandwich!" and "Master of unlocking!" and make them internet memes while not even stopping once to consider that these laughably cheesy lines were probably an intended part of the appeal. Resident Evil has always been ridiculous, even back to its roots, it's just now it's making its natural transition amongst the "b-movie" homages.

These are probably the same people who will tell you that Resident Evil "started going to poo poo" with 4, when 4 is the best game in the franchise and is still scary as poo poo your first time through unspoiled. It's just near impossible to do that now that the game is a decade old.

Resident Evil as a franchise is probably the closest thing that video games have to Guillermo Del Toro's career.

*Compare and contrast this to that stupid-beyond-belief Errant Signal video about how Saints Row is a "tribute to kitsch." Resident Evil 1 is an ACTUAL tribute to kitsch because it's still scary and sincere, and didn't need to appeal to that aesthetic by stuffing itself full of references and memes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I hope people don't actually take this seriously and buy RE6 expecting a deep brawler or anything.

Yeah its just an aggressively mediocre game. You can brawl, but I don't think that was ever really what you were supposed to do, it just happened to work out that way.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah its just an aggressively mediocre game. You can brawl, but I don't think that was ever really what you were supposed to do, it just happened to work out that way.

You were never "supposed" to ski in Tribes.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Luisfe posted:

It's a shooter with semi-decent melee combat, not a brawler. I know you like the game but don't oversell this as something it ain't.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Except Tribes is a good game, RE6 is passable at best, not "The next God Hand".

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Pirate Jet posted:

I don't see how that's even remotely comparable. There is a melee button and melee mechanics that are used by the game, to win the game. It's not like using melee is some kind of emergent gameplay that Capcom never intended to have happen.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Orv posted:

Except Tribes is a good game, RE6 is passable at best, not "The next God Hand".

Nobody said RE6 is the "next God Hand." Someone said it's the best brawler since (but not better than!) God Hand, and the thread exploded because liking an unpopular game!?!?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't see how that's even remotely comparable. There is a melee button and melee mechanics that are used by the game, to win the game. It's not like using melee is some kind of emergent gameplay that Capcom never intended to have happen.

The poster I quoted was saying that RE6's melee combat doesn't count as a pro for the game because they didn't believe it was intended. I was responding specifically to that belief.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah but pretending its a good brawler when its at best a game with passable melee mechanics is the point I was making.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

Nobody said RE6 is the "next God Hand." Someone said it's the best brawler since (but not better than!) God Hand, and the thread exploded because liking an unpopular game!?!?

A whole lot of hyperbole happening here. RE6 is a fun game and liking it is fine. But don't oversell a minor feature of it, getting people hyped for deep melee combat that doesn't exist.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Which is manifestly untrue either way.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
English Country Tune is the best brawler since Resident Evil 6

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm like this close to getting Resident Evil 6 but I have nobody to play it with. :smith: I also smoke a lot of weed when I play games so I'm not sure if I'm the best co-op partner.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah but pretending its a good brawler when its at best a game with passable melee mechanics is the point I was making.

It's a brawler with guns! It's a really unique and interesting style of fighting. This is what makes it a good game. The guns are primarily there to help you set up melee attacks.

Orv posted:

Which is manifestly untrue either way.

You're right, RE6 is an objectively bad game, gently caress my opinion on it.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I am willing to co-op with anyone in RE6 provided they live in the US, Mexico, or Canada. Any further is probably pushing it. Professional right off the bat is also a no-go because it's been months and I need some practice to remember everything again. http://steamcommunity.com/id/raidou-or-raido/

Edit: Also, today's a bad day, but after that, I'm open whenever I'm on Steam.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Really anyone who's dumb enough to blindly trust everything they read on the internet without qualification, cross-reference, or outside research does not have my sympathy.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
RE6 was a terrible game when it released on consoles. Many people who hate it only played that version, which is terrible.

When it came to PC, they made the shooting viable, and fixed most of the QoL problems people disliked. Some people who continue to hate it played this version, but didn't like how different it was from other RE games ( a fair complaint ).

As a game, it is not an incredible brawler. It's also not a great RE game compared to other RE games. But most it's problems have been fixed ( barring the fact you spend more time in turret/driving/dialogue sequences then fights ), and if you don't care how similar it is to the other Resident Evil games, it's a fun little thing. The campaign isn't quite worth $60, but it's probably worth $10-$15, or whatever it goes for these days. And on top of that you'll unlock Mercenaries, which is a legitimately fun mode you can still find goon buddies for.

If you weren't the type of person who would buy a Resident Evil game on day one, you'd like RE6. Most of our opinions don't matter, because we are just mad it wasn't the RE6 we wanted. It's the same issue DmC runs into, where the people who like DMC games loathe it, but the people who wouldn't normally buy a DMC game would legitimately enjoy it, so our opinions really don't matter.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Pirate Jet posted:

Resident Evil was always about a genuine, sincere love for schlock*. People have this weird assumption that b-movies, by virtue of being low-budget movies by amateurs, can't be scary, or achieve whatever else their intended result may be. People will constantly make fun of lines like "Jill Sandwich!" and "Master of unlocking!" and make them internet memes while not even stopping once to consider that these laughably cheesy lines were probably an intended part of the appeal. Resident Evil has always been ridiculous, even back to its roots, it's just now it's making its natural transition amongst the "b-movie" homages.

These are probably the same people who will tell you that Resident Evil "started going to poo poo" with 4, when 4 is the best game in the franchise and is still scary as poo poo your first time through unspoiled. It's just near impossible to do that now that the game is a decade old.

Resident Evil as a franchise is probably the closest thing that video games have to Guillermo Del Toro's career.

*Compare and contrast this to that stupid-beyond-belief Errant Signal video about how Saints Row is a "tribute to kitsch." Resident Evil 1 is an ACTUAL tribute to kitsch because it's still scary and sincere, and didn't need to appeal to that aesthetic by stuffing itself full of references and memes.

You seem to misunderstand me. I happen to think Resident Evil 4 is one of the greatest games ever made, and possibly the greatest action game period.

Each successive release seems to focus on the things that don't really matter that much. Same story with Dead Rising... it was a unique experience unlike any other then they decided the sole purpose was to kill zombies rather than have all the other cool stuff going on.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think the level design is getting progressively worse in the Resident Evil games. They are pretty much Call of Duty levels of sophistication, which is to say you go down one hallway to a point of no return, then go down another hallway. it may look like a cliff, or a cave or some poo poo, but it's really just a linear hallway.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

It's a brawler with guns! It's a really unique and interesting style of fighting. This is what makes it a good game. The guns are primarily there to help you set up melee attacks.

You're right, RE6 is an objectively bad game, gently caress my opinion on it.

No one is saying its a bad game (I don't even think its a bad game) but its not a brawler and its wasn't supposed to be.

If you want a brawler, look elsewhere, unless you have played all the brawlers out there, then I guess this will do in a pinch.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What are all these brawlers I've been missing? I can't think of one, except for maybe that Dungeons and Dragons one that got remade recently. Or is that a Beat-Em-Up? I guess Zeno Clash but I didn't care for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What are all these brawlers I've been missing? I can't think of one, except for maybe that Dungeons and Dragons one that got remade recently. Or is that a Beat-Em-Up? I guess Zeno Clash but I didn't care for that.

Metal Gear Rising came out last year and is pretty dang good.

• Locked thread