Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
To be fair I saw some objects that were seemingly identical to FO3, like some shelving units, cash registers etc., but the video made it impossible to tell if they were actually reused, or maybe used upscaled versions of the original assets.

Anyway, as has been said already, nobody cared about FO1 and FO2 reusing a gently caress ton of stuff, so what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

7c Nickel posted:

I'm actually curious, what was reused?

Off the top of my head, these Wisp Stalk mushrooms where tinted green and put into the caves of Fallout 3:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nevets posted:

I can't tell you how pissed I was when Empire came out and the cheap fuckers reused that POS Falcon. I mean, come on! New movie, new ship, right?

Funny you say that as Empire did use a new Falcon model (the original had been left to rot.) It was built so heavy that very few shots used it, though (most of the Falcon's appearances were using matte paintings.)

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

7c Nickel posted:

Somewhere in America, a fat man is googling furiously.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Constant Hamprince posted:

Somewhere in America, a fat man is googling furiously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNJ6dFwh8a4

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

7c Nickel posted:

Not exactly reused but the funniest thing I know is how the moon is named after the moons of Elder Scrolls in the Data files.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I've had Dogmeat for all of 1 in-game day in this replay of FO3. I'm immediately reminded why I was so apprehensive about a dog being featured so heavily in FO4. He's constantly in the way and just pants non-stop. That being said, he's handy in combat so hopefully they find a way to make him less irritating when I'm just trying to go about my business. And yes, I know you can park him in FO4 but I still hope they can improve his usability.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Off the top of my head, these Wisp Stalk mushrooms where tinted green and put into the caves of Fallout 3:

I mean yeah, they're similar mushrooms but they're not the same asset as in Oblivion.

They don't have the same crazy taper to the stem, shape of the cap, or same texture. For something as simple as this I doubt there would be any advantage in reusing the wisp caps if they're going to make all those changes.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 12, 2015

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

7c Nickel posted:

I mean yeah, they're similar mushrooms but they're not the same asset as in Oblivion.

They don't have the same crazy tamper to the stem, shape of the cap, or same texture. For something as simple as this I doubt there would be any advantage in reusing the wisp caps if they're going to make all those changes.

The googling intensifies. Each clack of the fat man's 400 dollar mechanical keyboard is now clearly audible upstairs, drowning out his mother's soap opera and frightening her poodle.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Similar mushroom assets. How far does this rabbit hole go?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Those mushrooms specifically are not reused.

If you find and pinpoint the shelf that was used in FNV, I'll give you candy.

Or not.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

graynull posted:

I've had Dogmeat for all of 1 in-game day in this replay of FO3. I'm immediately reminded why I was so apprehensive about a dog being featured so heavily in FO4. He's constantly in the way and just pants non-stop. That being said, he's handy in combat so hopefully they find a way to make him less irritating when I'm just trying to go about my business. And yes, I know you can park him in FO4 but I still hope they can improve his usability.

Reminds me of Dogmeat in FO1, aka the main reason for reloading in the game (besides your allies shooting you in the back because their script didn't check for your presence in their line of fire)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The googling intensifies. Each clack of the fat man's 400 dollar mechanical keyboard is now clearly audible upstairs, drowning out his mother's soap opera and frightening her poodle.

You monster, my mothers poodle is dead! I'll miss you Teddy, you where a good dog :(

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rutibex posted:

You monster, my mothers poodle is dead! I'll miss you Teddy, you where a good dog :(

This is off-topic, but: How old was he? He looks kinda young, but the apparent cataract (it may be just a reflection) says otherwise. Anyway, poodles are the best dogs if you want a long-term pet (mine is 19 y.o. and still mostly functional).

Anyway, poodles rule.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

This is off-topic, but: How old was he? He looks kinda young, but the apparent cataract (it may be just a reflection) says otherwise. Anyway, poodles are the best dogs if you want a long-term pet (mine is 19 y.o. and still mostly functional).

Anyway, poodles rule.

He's young in that pic because he run out into traffic when he was 2 and died :( He is generation 3 of a long line of poodle family pets, starting with Toby, then Toby Jr (or TJ), than Eddie, than a combination of TJ and Eddie for Teddy.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Standards or Miniatures?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rutibex posted:

He's young in that pic because he run out into traffic when he was 2 and died :( He is generation 3 of a long line of poodle family pets, starting with Toby, then Toby Jr (or TJ), than Eddie, than a combination of TJ and Eddie for Teddy.

I'm sorry, I hope you managed to continue the line with another adorable pup.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Rutibex posted:

That's not a poodle, that's a schnauzer wearing the skin of a poodle. :gonk:

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

The only reused assets I care about are the bad animations from Fallout 3 and NV. And it looks like they are reusing those bad animations in many cases, while making new ones in other cases (the deathclaw grab).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

I'm sorry, I hope you managed to continue the line with another adorable pup.
In a weird coincidence my mother ended up renting my old bedroom out to a guy that owns an old Poodle named Toby :v:

7c Nickel posted:

Standards or Miniatures?
I assume they where some sort of miniatures, they where like medium sized between the smallest and largest poodles I have seen.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rutibex posted:

In a weird coincidence my mother ended up renting my old bedroom out to a guy that owns an old Poodle named Toby :v:

I assume they where some sort of miniatures, they where like medium sized between the smallest and largest poodles I have seen.

Yeah, miniature is the class between standard (or even royal, which seems to be quite rare nowadays) and toy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

King Vidiot posted:

That's not a poodle, that's a schnauzer wearing the skin of a poodle. :gonk:

You obviously never saw a poodle few weeks without a barber :3:

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

7c Nickel posted:

We're not being defensive, it's just fun baiting someone with an obvious axe to grind. Let's humor you for a second though. The Lockpicking huh? Yeah I would imagine that a closeup of a lock, bobbypin, and screwdriver WOULD look pretty similar to a picture of a lock, bobbypin, and a screwdriver. But if you actually compare them side to side you can tell that they aren't actually the same asset, or at least they've been reworked for the new version.

FO4

FO3

The screwdriver is different, the bobbypin is brass now and the scratches aren't in the same place. Admitting you have a problem is the first step you know.

Holy poo poo. This is the most epic and awesome burn I have ever seen.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sir AIDS posted:

I actually looked at the sun for 3 hours before comparing these and I can see the difference. In fact it's the last thing I ever saw.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

FauxGateau posted:

I actually looked at the sun for 3 hours before comparing these and I can see the difference. In fact it's the last thing I ever saw.

Are you the ancient Pharaoh Akhenaten?

Fallout really could use some good old fashioned sun and nuclear warhead worship.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Are you the ancient Pharaoh Akhenaten?

lol, like any goon could gently caress Nefertiti.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Delsaber posted:

Similar mushroom assets. How far does this rabbit hole go?

What's the deal with child proof caps?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
When is the poodle mod?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

It's not a proper Fallout poodle unless it's named Dogmeat. Or Rex. Rex was pretty cool.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sir AIDS posted:

Fallout 4: The Bobbypin Is Brass Now

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

This is pretty funny, but not as funny as you having confused Crash with Traffic.

I haven't decided if I'd rather have a Fallout character voiced by an incoherent Benicio Del Toro or a Tony Danza who only says "Could you do it...you know, blacker?"

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I haven't decided if I'd rather have a Fallout character voiced by an incoherent Benicio Del Toro or a Tony Danza who only says "Could you do it...you know, blacker?"

Especially during character creation

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Benicio Del Toro voice over while he plays his character from the usual suspects would be downright amazing.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
majora's mask was just a bunch of recycled assets from ocarina of time what a piece of poo poo

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

majora's mask was just a bunch of recycled assets from ocarina of time what a piece of poo poo

They didn't have five years to make it either. That's kind the crux of the problem with reused assets, not that reusing assets is inherently bad, but the development time for Fallout 4 has been immensely long and I ponder what the art team has been doing during that time if they are still reusing some old assets.

Again, it's not an attack on the developers, it's more a question of "why not update them so they don't look like they stand out like a sore thumb". I think most of Skyrim did not reuse any assets in the same manner, but maybe I'm remembering poorly.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

They didn't have five years to make it either. That's kind the crux of the problem with reused assets, not that reusing assets is inherently bad, but the development time for Fallout 4 has been immensely long and I ponder what the art team has been doing during that time if they are still reusing some old assets.

Again, it's not an attack on the developers, it's more a question of "why not update them so they don't look like they stand out like a sore thumb". I think most of Skyrim did not reuse any assets in the same manner, but maybe I'm remembering poorly.

What assets have they reused?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Oh christ not this poo poo again please

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

frajaq posted:

Oh christ not this poo poo again please

Alright, let's talk about the hacking minigame instead. I hope they put a lot more terminals in 4. That's one of the issues with 3 and NV. Not enough of the hacking minigame.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

JackBadass posted:

Alright, let's talk about the hacking minigame instead. I hope they put a lot more terminals in 4. That's one of the issues with 3 and NV. Not enough of the hacking minigame.

I heard they're reusing the same hacking minigame from 3/NV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

T. Howard posted:

"We acknowledged that [Fallout] 3's hacking mini-game wasn't very popular with the community. A lot of people were like, 'what are all of these numbers and words? I don't know the first thing about hacking!' It was redundant and felt like a chore. What we needed was a system that was broader in scope...that felt more like a game within a game'--an 'internal adventure", as it were. So we thought, how about--instead of hacking a computer like you would in real life--the player downloads himself into the computer? And this digital world would be inhabited by little machine-people shaped like ones and zeros, and in order to 'hack' the computer, he'd have to defeat a personified virus named Gigabyte (voiced by Kelsey Grammer). The cool thing about this approach is that the player will develop a reputation with the inhabitants of the digital world, and Gigabyte will be sort of a secondary antagonist--especially for science/intelligence-focused players."

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 12, 2015

• Locked thread