Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I remember that story about Swedish forces in Afghanistan hiring local translators and then when the Swedes pulled out they left them behind to get murdered for assisting western imperialist invaders plunder their country.

I was always kind of split on the issue because on one hand the Swedish military obviously has a responsibility here but on the other hand I can't imagine any reversed scenario where I wouldn't think they earned it.

Like if Russia invaded Sweden and some people helped the Russian soldiers. Then when Russia pulls out Putin leaves the Swedes who helped them behind etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Katt posted:

I remember that story about Swedish forces in Afghanistan hiring local translators and then when the Swedes pulled out they left them behind to get murdered for assisting western imperialist invaders plunder their country.

I was always kind of split on the issue because on one hand the Swedish military obviously has a responsibility here but on the other hand I can't imagine any reversed scenario where I wouldn't think they earned it.

Like if Russia invaded Sweden and some people helped the Russian soldiers. Then when Russia pulls out Putin leaves the Swedes who helped them behind etc.

Plunder?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Katt posted:

Pretty sure it was the Danish, not the Swedish. I think we hosed it up a lot because we were scared of military adjacent brown people, even though they had a pretty legitimate reason to seek asylum, om specifically one caused by Denmark.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

BonHair posted:

Pretty sure it was the Danish, not the Swedish. I think we hosed it up a lot because we were scared of military adjacent brown people, even though they had a pretty legitimate reason to seek asylum, om specifically one caused by Denmark.

This happened in Sweden too. I remember a radio interview with some officer who said basically "we hired them as translators and never promised them asylum. They got paid for their work that's the end of our agreement"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Katt posted:

I don't think there's any moral grey-area here at all. They were non-combatants which we put at risk for our own benefit. Leaving them to dry as the Taliban increasingly re-asserted control over the country was straight up immoral. Especially when it was only because our acting government was afraid of being portrayed as kind to foreigners.

It'd be a different question if they were mercs, spies or whatever. But translators are a necessity of any occupationary force not hell-bent on murdering every civilian they come into contact with. They'll always dominantly be locals who need food and shelter to live. The fact that the military intervention in Afghanistan was as illegitimate as they come doesn't make leaving the translators to die okay. Two wrongs don't make one right.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Katt posted:

This happened in Sweden too. I remember a radio interview with some officer who said basically "we hired them as translators and never promised them asylum. They got paid for their work that's the end of our agreement"

And then they :qq: about locals not cooperating any more.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I know the Norwegians have a word for someone who helps an invading enemy. But I don't know if the Swedes or Danes do :v:

Katt fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 24, 2020

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Katt posted:

I know the Norwegians have a word for someone who helps and invading enemy. But I don't know if the Swedes or Danes do :v:

"Norsk"

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I guess Fin would work too. What with them buddying it up with Onkel Adolf to do some genocide.

Mannerheim to Nuremberg.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So, Danish Radio published an interesting article just now, and the first thing anyone sees when opening the article is a father and a daughter not wearing a mask, followed by a mother holding her daughter who not wearing a mask while the mother, who is possibly pregnant, seemingly wears the mask wrong (it appears to me that she's twisted the straps of the mask, so that more air is let in through the side). Further down the article, there's a picture of another dad who's got the mask only covering his mouth, while his three children aren't wearing masks at all.
Do...do people not realize that their children, who likely haven't learned to cover their mouth and nose with the back of the elbow when coughing, can be asymptomatic disease carriers too?

On reflection, you probably don't need to answer that.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Personally I'm really careful, we canceled/moved christmas in my family (merry christmas scandipol!) but there is no reason to wear a mask around people you're living with unless they're sick and you're not. In the pictures the families are pretty far away from other people and they're outside - the dad without the mask probably removed it after leaving the church and getting away from other people - or his kid did. Kids pull on masks all the time when carried, likely also what happened to nose-guy. Older kids might also have removed theirs. In addition, sundhedsstyrelsen does say that children under 12 are exempt from having to wear masks. More generally, WHO and UNICEF recommends that children under 5 are not required to wear mask. Age 5 - 11 under certain circumstances. Above 12 should wear masks. Children are also quite unlikely to be carriers in general, and it's quite a bit more unlikely if their parents are not sick. The most recent studies show that children are very unlikely to be the cause of household clusters for example. Not that it's impossible for a kid to have contracted it, spread it, but the parent not yet having symptoms obviously - it's just very unlikely. Walking by someone outside is also not a very dangerous situation without masks - and probably not at all at the distances shown in the pictures. Obviously an asymptomatic carrier (or someone who is outside without a mask despite having symptoms) who exhales really hard, or sneezes, just as you're passing close by them, with neither of you wearing masks, can infect you.

I don't think anything in those pictures are particularly outrageous. What is outrageous is that that the church is having Christmas mass, loving petri-dish rooms with singing. I'm almost certain there will be a substantial increase from that alone - though I'm not sure how many churches are doing it, since everyone recommended against it. We all know that jesus wasn't actually born on the 24th or 25th or whatever, loving just do it at some other time when the vaccine has been doled out or something.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 24, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Katt posted:

I know the Norwegians have a word for someone who helps an invading enemy.

"Svensk".

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

So, Danish Radio published an interesting article just now, and the first thing anyone sees when opening the article is a father and a daughter not wearing a mask, followed by a mother holding her daughter who not wearing a mask while the mother, who is possibly pregnant, seemingly wears the mask wrong (it appears to me that she's twisted the straps of the mask, so that more air is let in through the side). Further down the article, there's a picture of another dad who's got the mask only covering his mouth, while his three children aren't wearing masks at all.
Do...do people not realize that their children, who likely haven't learned to cover their mouth and nose with the back of the elbow when coughing, can be asymptomatic disease carriers too?

On reflection, you probably don't need to answer that.

Twisting the straps seems fine, the point is not to filter air but the catch the spittle. People with small heads do it all the time. Teaching kids to wear masks and cough responsibly is in many cases basically impossible, which is why they're exempt. Also, lots of people, especially people with glasses, remove their masks as soon as they get outside where they can keep their distance, because otherwise they can't see poo poo.

The real problem is gathering people in churches (and other places), not individuals having human mask discipline

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alhazred posted:

"Svensk".

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Hold fire you ingrates. Sweden was the loyal, benevolent guardian or Norway for centuries. One snafu doesn't diminish generations of altruism.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Alhazred posted:

"Svensk".

Yes, indeed.
Historical precedence even.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Personally I'm really careful, we canceled/moved christmas in my family (merry christmas scandipol!) but there is no reason to wear a mask around people you're living with unless they're sick and you're not. In the pictures the families are pretty far away from other people and they're outside - the dad without the mask probably removed it after leaving the church and getting away from other people - or his kid did. Kids pull on masks all the time when carried, likely also what happened to nose-guy. Older kids might also have removed theirs. In addition, sundhedsstyrelsen does say that children under 12 are exempt from having to wear masks. More generally, WHO and UNICEF recommends that children under 5 are not required to wear mask. Age 5 - 11 under certain circumstances. Above 12 should wear masks. Children are also quite unlikely to be carriers in general, and it's quite a bit more unlikely if their parents are not sick. The most recent studies show that children are very unlikely to be the cause of household clusters for example. Not that it's impossible for a kid to have contracted it, spread it, but the parent not yet having symptoms obviously - it's just very unlikely. Walking by someone outside is also not a very dangerous situation without masks - and probably not at all at the distances shown in the pictures. Obviously an asymptomatic carrier (or someone who is outside without a mask despite having symptoms) who exhales really hard, or sneezes, just as you're passing close by them, with neither of you wearing masks, can infect you.
What period are these stats based on? The way you write this it kinda comes across like it's an intrinsic fact that kids are unlikely to be carriers.

Katt posted:

Hold fire you ingrates. Sweden was the loyal, benevolent guardian or Norway for centuries. One snafu doesn't diminish generations of altruism.
Literally only 113 years total.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Så blev det da jul som det gjør hvert år,
og julefest holdtes i hver en gård
så langt som den hellige kristenhet når.

Og ribbe og surkål og øl og dram
man åt og drakk for å ære ham
som fødtes i armod og døde i skam.

Og prestene gjentok de eldgamle ting.
Men noe var nytt. For med radio kring
blev talene sendt - som på engleving!

I eteren bruste velsignede ord
som dengang da byrdene hørte et kor
der sang det utrolige. Fred på jord!

Fabrikkherren likte det bibelsted
og tenkte på: hvordan slå lønnen ned
og likevel sikre sig arbeidsfred?

Politichefen syntes det også var godt,
og gudskjelov hadde han nylig slått
et oprør til jord og bragt statsskuten flott.

Rebellene satt nu bak lås og slå
og hadde det fredfullt og ventet på
den dødsdom de alle var viss på å få.

Og forsvarsministeren følte sig vel
som aldri tilforn noen julekveld.
Hans virke for freden var kronet med hell.

For fredsgarantien er vebnet makt.
Og den skulde ingen få ødelagt
med vennskapstraktat eller avrustningspakt!

Og utenriks-statsråden var også glad
at freden var innført så fort og bra
i Samoa og Nicaragua.

De innfødte truet med litt av hvert,
men heldigvis hadde en giftgass-ekspert
til advarsel gitt dem en kraftig snert.

Hver eneste sjel i vår kristenhet
blev løftet på bølger av kjærlighet
For fred er det beste - som alle vet.

Men alle de drepte på ærens mark
de utstøtte bare et uhørlig hark,
og hemmelig gav de hverandre et spark.

Under Arc de Triomphe lå en ukjent soldat.
Han snudde sig ikke. Han var vel for lat.
Og hadde så ofte hørt lignende prat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What period are these stats based on? The way you write this it kinda comes across like it's an intrinsic fact that kids are unlikely to be carriers.

As I said, it’s not like children can’t get it. It’s just unlikely that they have it, if their parents don’t have it. There was a review of a bunch of research on children and the spread, and it was suggested that children are rarely the cause of household clusters, meaning if the parents don’t have it’s not very likely that the children have it. Children are more likely to be asymptotic though. https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/12/kids-likely-not-driving-household-covid-19-outbreaks

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Revelation 2-13 posted:

As I said, it’s not like children can’t get it. It’s just unlikely that they have it, if their parents don’t have it. There was a review of a bunch of research on children and the spread, and it was suggested that children are rarely the cause of household clusters, meaning if the parents don’t have it’s not very likely that the children have it. Children are more likely to be asymptotic though. https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/12/kids-likely-not-driving-household-covid-19-outbreaks
OK, this was what I was expecting:

From the article posted:

the researchers cautioned that children may be infrequently identified as index cases because of limited interaction outside the home during the study period
Even if children are less likely to infect other family members, which does seem to be the case, the fact that a lot of data came from a period where they were largely prevented from picking up the disease outside the home makes it a bit of a stretch to say that this means they're less likely than their parents to be infected now. Like, if you're working from home but your kids go to school, then the vastly increased number of contacts they'll encounter will rapidly drown out the reduced risk of transmission to/from children. Of course if the parents are """being safe""" then that might skew things back in favor of them infected before the child.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Katt posted:

lol

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Katt posted:

Let's not forget that Sweden wanted Norway to have all the black gold to themselves out of pure incompe^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hkindness.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Let's not forget that Sweden wanted Norway to have all the black gold to themselves out of pure incompe^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hkindness.

Virgin Norway oil VS Chad Sweden iron ore and lumber.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Scratch a Swede and a nationalist bleeds, lol

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
I would have thought Norwegians were madder at Danes but, uh, no?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Gaukler posted:

Scratch a Swede and a nationalist bleeds, lol

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

It's pretty hard to be a nationalist Swede because you have to be nostalgic for an age that basically only exist in writings on stone tablets.

Which is probably why so many Swedish nationalists go for the generic "Nordic culture" or "Western culture"

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Rust Martialis posted:

Why? What did they ever do to us?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nice piece of fish posted:

they hosed our language up

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Made you speak Danish

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

V. Illych L. posted:

If anything we fixed theirs

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Katt posted:

It's pretty hard to be a nationalist Swede because you have to be nostalgic for an age that basically only exist in writings on stone tablets.

Which is probably why so many Swedish nationalists go for the generic "Nordic culture" or "Western culture"

Well, a Swedish nationalist can also be an old social democrat that thinks everything went worse after the 70s. Our boomers are pretty much diehard S.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

I've met a single Norwegian who was a bit salty towards Denmark in real life, kinda got the feeling she'd equate it to British rule in Ireland.

V. Illych L. posted:

Proof that Danes and Norwegians were proper siblings in arms. No need to force anyone, the Norwegians just started talking like us because we were so nice.

If anything we fixed theirs
Another Swedish crime. Without Norway anchoring our language, it rapidly spun out of control.

Cardiac posted:

Well, a Swedish nationalist can also be an old social democrat that thinks everything went worse after the 70s. Our boomers are pretty much diehard S.
Yes? The term is social fascist.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

In the extremely danish movie Druk, Mads Mikkelsen gets cheated on by his inexplicably Swedish wife.

https://twitter.com/gifmads/status/1340219573887492099

Discuss in groups what this is a metaphor for.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

MiddleOne posted:

In the extremely danish movie Druk, Mads Mikkelsen gets cheated on by his inexplicably Swedish wife.

https://twitter.com/gifmads/status/1340219573887492099

Discuss in groups what this is a metaphor for.

Swede thieves, thief swedes and swedes that steal.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

(it appears to me that she's twisted the straps of the mask, so that more air is let in through the side).
The reason people do this is to shorten the straps IIRC. It's much better to put a knot in the strap if they're too long tho.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Children are also quite unlikely to be carriers in general
says who

Revelation 2-13 posted:

What is outrageous is that that the church is having Christmas mass
he

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 24, 2020

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Katt posted:

Yeah Sweden the famously non-nationalist country, with no imperialist history or anything to harken back to.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Told GF about everyone hating on Swedes in this thread and her comment was "good".

Asked her if Danes were mad at Norwegians and she paused, looked mildly confused and said "they're just riding around on elks, singing their language. Why would Danes be mad at them?" :)

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Mom worked at Posten as it became PostNord and she spent a few years working with danish HK ppl.

She doesnt like to talk about that time. But she has hated the Dane viciously since.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Rust Martialis posted:

Well, 1814 [2] is quite a bit longer ago than 1940-1945 [1], or even 1905.

[1] While it's doubtful if Sweden could really have done anything much against the interests of Germany in WW2, there was and still is some saltiness among Norwegians about their wartime conduct. While Denmark escapes such sentiments given that it could have done pretty much nothing in any case (being small, flat and right next to Germany, it was conquered in about the time it takes to drive a tank across).

[2] There is a school of thought that views the events of 1814 as at least partially a Norwegian attempt to stay in union with Denmark, rather than going for full independence. Evidence: The guy they chose to be the King of independent Norway was also in line to inherit the Danish throne, which I'm sure was a mere coincidence...