Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy birthday to the man himself, Joel Hodgson. He turns the big 6-0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Simplex posted:

Of the new seasons, Avalanche is the movie that I find myself keep coming back too. I think it has the worst geography of any movie that I've ever seen, as I have absolutely no idea where any location in that movie is in relation to any other location. I really need to see one of those miniature mock-ups of what the hell that ski resort is even supposed to look like.

And then the ambulance drives off the bridge.

I'm a real fan of Avalanche too. I mean, this movie has 2-3 people dying in car accidents for no reason other than general carelessness.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'm a real fan of Avalanche too. I mean, this movie has 2-3 people dying in car accidents for no reason other than general carelessness.

I would certainly be down for riffing more attempts to cash in on the 70's disaster movie as well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Dawgstar posted:

I would certainly be down for riffing more attempts to cash in on the 70's disaster movie as well.

I found it fascinating because my only previous exposure to that genre had been Airplane! so I was already primed for comedy.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

That movie is so amazingly sleazy, for so little reason. Why is every scene framed and lit as if a serial killer is about to enter from offscreen? Why is there a woman ice skating in a bikini bottom?

It's like the movie was produced at the same film studio where the hobgoblins from Hobgoblins escaped from.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My favorite running joke from Avalanche is how they keep talking about how the avalanche is about to show up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"Who is this guy?"

"I think his name is Scott!"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Ladies and Gentlemen, we give you Planevalanche!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really hope that if/when they find a new place for MST3K that Jonah gets at least one more season because I liked his energy.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Cari-BOO! Cause it's a ghost.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

I really hope that if/when they find a new place for MST3K that Jonah gets at least one more season because I liked his energy.

Same. Would be amazing but less likely to keep the Mads as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joel gave an interview with a paper while on the tour and this sounds kind of positive.

quote:

You've hinted that you want a continued life for Mystery Science Theater post-Netflix, but haven't announced anything yet. Is there anything you can say at this point, or any knowledge of when you might be able to let slip more details?
The way I’ve been saying it is I encourage people to go to mst3klive.com and sign up for our email list, because I would say some really amazing things are gonna happen. So that’s where I think I should leave it with you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

To my delight, I had no idea RiffTrax did one of the Puppet Master films. One I didn't even know existed because apparently that franchise went on forever.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dawgstar posted:

To my delight, I had no idea RiffTrax did one of the Puppet Master films. One I didn't even know existed because apparently that franchise went on forever.

Starring Mark from The Room, no less.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Starring Mark from The Room, no less.

I read his book and I can’t believe he bragged about his accent in that movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I read his book and I can’t believe he bragged about his accent in that movie.

It was like every accent I've heard by a GM who thought they were really good at accents crammed into one and done in front of puppets.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That movie is so amazingly sleazy, for so little reason. Why is every scene framed and lit as if a serial killer is about to enter from offscreen? Why is there a woman ice skating in a bikini bottom?

It's like the movie was produced at the same film studio where the hobgoblins from Hobgoblins escaped from.

you can say a lot of things about roger corman, but one thing he likes to point out is very rarely did any of his films fail to turn a profit

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

luxury handset posted:

you can say a lot of things about roger corman, but one thing he likes to point out is very rarely did any of his films fail to turn a profit
Yeah, but this was back when every video store in every neighborhood in every city and town in the country had to buy an overpriced copy of the movie to rent out to customers, so if your flick was under 20 million, you couldn't not make money off it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Yeah, but this was back when every video store in every neighborhood in every city and town in the country had to buy an overpriced copy of the movie to rent out to customers, so if your flick was under 20 million, you couldn't not make money off it.

Roger Corman was active both before and after the video store boom, and his movies still make a profit today.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

overpriced? roger corman?

lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Roger Corman made movies that made money. Were they good? Artistic? Made with love? High budget? Did you read the first sentence?

Avelanche is probably my favorite episode of that season, edging out Cry Wilderness

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barudak posted:

Roger Corman made movies that made money. Were they good? Artistic? Made with love? High budget? Did you read the first sentence?

I always remember in The Gunslinger when the camera pans just too far to show the two horsemen waiting on their mark and they then start to move as Joel yells "Cue the horses!" Like it would have taken maybe a second or two editing to not have that. That's Corman to me.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Barudak posted:

Avelanche is probably my favorite episode of that season, edging out Cry Wilderness

There's so much to love about Avalanche but the on-screen chemistry between Mia Farrow and Rock Hudson :chefkiss:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/fmarciuliano/status/1233028108804141056

Hittin' the big time!

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

They uploaded the entire list of tour updates to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z75Z1hI86v8

I'm about halfway through it, and there's a lot of interesting behind-the-scenes stuff: early concepts, modeling, production, cast introduction. Watch out for snakes mustachioed Joel!

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 27, 2020

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

You’re not completely wrong but Corman’s Poe adaptations cost a bit more and are awesome and really nice to look at, particularly Masque of the Red Death, House of Usher, Pit and the Pendulum and Tomb of Ligeia. They were made with lots of care, and it shows. Oh and his version of Tower of London is cool too! Everyone should check em out.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Undead (STAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY) has some interesting ambitions for a b-movie filmed in an abandoned supermarket.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of my favorite running jokes is when a character is reading something and they start narrating the punctuation.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Funky Valentine posted:

The Undead (STAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY) has some interesting ambitions for a b-movie filmed in an abandoned supermarket.

You know, I’ve never known more about what isn’t going on in a movie.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Corman's theory of directing: light and get away.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Say what you will about Corman, but he directed the best Fantastic Four movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I re-watched Swamp Diamonds, speaking of Roger, and am forced to wonder how the girls so expertly hemmed their cutoffs. (The movie does not really help sell the 'Corman as auteur' thory.)

Please don't touch Touch Connors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watched Rocket Attack USA last night, which is such a weird movie.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Watched Rocket Attack USA last night, which is such a weird movie.

I always confuse that one with the one about a hypnotist convincing a tractor factory owner to convert to tank production to defeat the Red Menace. No idea why, other than the Cold War angle they are completely different movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rocket Attack USA is notable for the fact that it clearly had ZERO budget.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

That's what happens when you refuse to finance your film with all the money you could receive thanks to RADAR!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Jet Jaguar posted:

I always confuse that one with the one about a hypnotist convincing a tractor factory owner to convert to tank production to defeat the Red Menace. No idea why, other than the Cold War angle they are completely different movies.

It is the same very very bad movie. I tried to watch this one a couple weeks ago and it was tough. How many times can you use the same footage of an explosion? Also the government knows what's best you dirty commies!

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Jet Jaguar posted:

... the one about a hypnotist convincing a tractor factory owner to convert to tank production to defeat the Red Menace...

I refuse to believe it being a thing. Which one is it?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

ringu0 posted:

I refuse to believe it being a thing. Which one is it?

Invasion USA (not featuring Chuck Norris)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

help me