Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

MechaCrash posted:

I think the point he's trying to make is that Democrats keep trying to find a middle ground and compromise with people who hate them and have made obstructionism their #1 goal, kind of like the left half of Kreider's The Choice comic, except it's Rall so it comes out all lovely and horrible.
They literally just filibustered Gorsuch this morning. This "Democrats are spineless and always compromise" meme feels like Freep complaining about how Ryan and McConnell were always giving in to Obama.

e: Dog? Okay.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I am never going to get tired of drawings of Mitch McConnell

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Angepain posted:

He already looks like a turtle in reality

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I'm kinda annoyed at the Gorsuch cartoons on both sides. Neither Democrats nor Republicans are doing something shocking or unreasonable given their positions. Neither filibustering Gorsuch nor going nuclear is killing the senate, or killing justice, or whatever the gently caress the cartoonists are drawing it as.

Like, Gorsuch is going to be bad for our country but going nuclear to force him in isn't loving mounting justice's head over your hearth.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Oh, gently caress off.

MechaCrash posted:

I think the point he's trying to make is that Democrats keep trying to find a middle ground and compromise with people who hate them and have made obstructionism their #1 goal, kind of like the left half of Kreider's The Choice comic, except it's Rall so it comes out all lovely and horrible.

His point is that Democrats could filibuster and get shut down or not filibuster and lose anyway, which is the only kind of false stand he believes they're willing to take. And I have a hard time disagreeing, although trying to pin it on Warren is pretty rich.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Angepain posted:

We were seriously missing political cartoons of googily-eyed assholes ever since Jesse Helms kicked the bucket.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

D.N. Nation posted:

We were seriously missing political cartoons of googily-eyed assholes ever since Jesse Helms kicked the bucket.

If it wasn't labeled Helms, I would have thought it was McConnell

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Trump is leading the charge of the continued witch hunt against Hillary. Hillary refused to back down so others have to carry her to safety as she deletes spam mail like a responsible human.

A yakety-sax comic.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Very thoughtful of Lester to label the guys holding the camera and microphone as "media." I never would've figured it out on my own.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Telegraph:

Jeremy Corbyn faces mutiny within Labour as Ken Livingstone escapes expulsion over Hitler comments

Independent:

China's President Xi Jinping arrives in Florida for Trump talks

Times:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm kinda annoyed at the Gorsuch cartoons on both sides. Neither Democrats nor Republicans are doing something shocking or unreasonable given their positions. Neither filibustering Gorsuch nor going nuclear is killing the senate, or killing justice, or whatever the gently caress the cartoonists are drawing it as.

Like, Gorsuch is going to be bad for our country but going nuclear to force him in isn't loving mounting justice's head over your hearth.
I think when you factor in Garland, what the republicans did here is an existential threat to America.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HootTheOwl posted:

I think when you factor in Garland, what the republicans did here is an existential threat to America.

The cartoon I quoted but with the newspaper reading "Mitch blocks Garland" would be a much better cartoon, I agree

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

If it wasn't labeled Helms, I would have thought it was McConnell

Jesse was in his early 20s when Mitch was born. I'm just saying.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

D.N. Nation posted:

What does that matter? Green sea turtles don't reach sexual maturity until 50.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Improbable Lobster posted:

He already looks like a turtle in reality

I thought his head looks more like a scrotum, honestly.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MechaCrash posted:

Right, they never filibustered any of the GOP supreme court nominations while Obama was president. What an oversight.

Also, lemme guess, the obstruction over the last 3 months doesn't count?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Regalingualius posted:

I thought his head looks more like a scrotum, honestly.

If your scrotum looks like that, you should probably consult a physician.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lord Hydronium posted:

Hey, Mr. Fish at least had that one good "motherfucker" cartoon, which is one more good one than Rall.
Was it Mr. Fish that had the guy loving the guillotined head of a child or whatever? That was a good one too.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Come on! At least one international comic should portray Putin as a gay clown.

http://time.com/4728422/russia-putin-clown-lbtq-court/

E: This is the image. Looks more like a mime to me.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

D.N. Nation posted:

So does being a soulless conservative Republican make you look like this, or is it the other way around?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Was it Mr. Fish that had the guy loving the guillotined head of a child or whatever? That was a good one too.
Yeah, I was exaggerating a bit, he has a few. Meanwhile, I think the most positive reaction I've ever had to a Rall was "this would be okay, if it were drawn at all decently". And I can't really name any of those.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

D.N. Nation posted:

I just watched Buckaroo Banzai the other day, and I've come to the conclusion that he looks like a hybrid of normal human and Red Lectroid.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

My just showed my six year old this picture and asked him "what does this man look like to you?"

"He looks like a turtle in a suit. Is he sick?"

Yes. Good. Nailed it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Lodin posted:

vlad gay. so what?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lodin posted:

"Haha this politician is actually gay!" is a childish line of attack that doesn't really help gay people.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Pants Donkey posted:

"Haha this politician is actually gay!" is a childish line of attack that doesn't really help gay people.

I disagree, it helps us figure out who not to trust.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Hydronium posted:

So does being a soulless conservative Republican make you look like this, or is it the other way around?

They're basically all related.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

cheetah7071 posted:

The cartoon I quoted but with the newspaper reading "Mitch blocks Garland" would be a much better cartoon, I agree

Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought you were attacking both sides for making mountains out of molehills which I countered with "Yes but the democratic molehill is built upon an actual mountain."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HootTheOwl posted:

Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought you were attacking both sides for making mountains out of molehills which I countered with "Yes but the democratic molehill is built upon an actual mountain."

The cartoons have been presenting it as "going nuclear is inherently an unacceptable breech of protocol" when in reality it's an incremental expansion of Harry Reid's nukes, and the elimination of the filibuster altogether would be a de facto reversion to earlier times when the filibuster was used much more sparingly. It feels disingenuous to talk about the filibuster as an inherent good just because our side is the one using it right now--the exact same people were almost certainly lamenting it back in 2006 and 2007.

That's why I think cartoons presenting the whole empty seat debacle as an unacceptable power grab by Republicans are fine, but ones that zero in on McConnel nuking are bad cartoons.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

The cartoons have been presenting it as "going nuclear is inherently an unacceptable breech of protocol" when in reality it's an incremental expansion of Harry Reid's nukes, and the elimination of the filibuster altogether would be a de facto reversion to earlier times when the filibuster was used much more sparingly. It feels disingenuous to talk about the filibuster as an inherent good just because our side is the one using it right now--the exact same people were almost certainly lamenting it back in 2006 and 2007.

That's why I think cartoons presenting the whole empty seat debacle as an unacceptable power grab by Republicans are fine, but ones that zero in on McConnel nuking are bad cartoons.

The nuking is bad because it eliminates any pretense of bipartisan cooperation in the Supreme Court

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Did someone ask for McConnell caricatures?

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

The nuking is bad because it eliminates any pretense of bipartisan cooperation in the Supreme Court

If we had voters that held their congresspeople accountable, and district lines that let them do so, I'd kinda be okay with that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

It was already dead

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

If we had voters that held their congresspeople accountable, and district lines that let them do so, I'd kinda be okay with that.

District lines for the Senate are state borders and those are very hard to change.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

It was already dead

That's why I said pretense.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

That's why I said pretense.

If it's just killing the pretense of something long dead, then I stand by what I said.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

duz posted:

District lines for the Senate are state borders and those are very hard to change.

I was talking about congress in general. First still applies to the senate.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Neither filibustering Gorsuch nor going nuclear is killing the senate,
I think you misunderstand the antimajoritarian role of the Senate in our system.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I think you misunderstand the antimajoritarian role of the Senate in our system.

That must be why the filibuster is in the constitution, rather than being something developed accidentally and then kept around because of tradition

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Same thing with direct election of senators, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Same thing with direct election of senators, right?

Direct election of senators IS in the constitution, it's the seventeenth amendment.

Anyways, my point is that the actual filibuster and nuclear option on Gorsuch is a relatively minor part of the supreme court vacancy drama that was almost fore-ordained once Garland was sidelined and Trump was elected. In another context, that same nuclear option could be used for good rather than for theft--as when Harry Reid went nuclear. Cartoons depicting the nuclear option as inherently bad on its face (rather than just another bit of political drama in a bad thing that happened a while ago) thus strike me as bad cartoons.

I stand by not condemning the nuclear option in this case (while definitely condemning the disgraceful way Garland was treated) because it would be intellectually dishonest to do that while applauding Reid going nuclear on lower seats.

• Locked thread