Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah I dunno why someone would choose PC games unless they are gonna drop a chunk of change and never make that stupid $500 argument ever again.

edit: I mean, or the other side is buying a $150 machine just to play Touhou games or whatever but that's not what most people mean when they say PC gaming as a hobby.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Play video games and have fun with them, everyone.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You can use a PC for things other than gaming.

... You guys do realize that, right? It's not just a $1k gaming machine...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzz posted:

You can use a PC for things other than gaming.

... You guys do realize that, right? It's not just a $1k gaming machine...

Yeah but im not dumb enough to rationalize spending 1000 bucks for word processing either

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I feel that graphical wow factor lasts about a minute while you take in the intro around and the second you get into the first game's fight no one looks at the shadow that the pot casts but instead some glowing counter button.

Black King Conga
Mar 30, 2011
Hey guys, just wanted to get your opinion on which game I should get next.

I'm choosing between Yakuza 0 and Persona 5. I basically have no experience in both franchises and thought it would be a good time to start. I'm looking for something quite different as I've been playing a lot of open world games.

Thanks!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Black King Conga posted:

I'm choosing between Yakuza 0 and Persona 5. I basically have no experience in both franchises and thought it would be a good time to start. I'm looking for something quite different as I've been playing a lot of open world games.

Thanks!

Well if you are looking for something different from an open world game then you should play Persona since Yakuza is an open world game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Yakuza is a lovingly rendered open 4 square blocks. Not and open world.

I really want persona 5 to be on a handheld. The vita was great with 4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yakuza 0 is a completely linear game that asks you to do scav hunt stuff to progress and dick around when you want

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah. It has open world dick around freedom. But everything is right there. And you always know where the story is and what you can play with. If you have no Yakuza experience I think its worth it to experience the series.

I know Persona is supposed to be drat good. But does it do anything different the the rest of that series?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah. It has open world dick around freedom. But everything is right there. And you always know where the story is and what you can play with. If you have no Yakuza experience I think its worth it to experience the series.

I know Persona is supposed to be drat good. But does it do anything different the the rest of that series?

Yeah it has handcrafted dungeons with unique gimmicks that use new light stealth mechanics pretty well. It also incorporates smt battle system elements into the formula to make things a bit more interesting. Not major changes but a huge improvement in gameplay if you were sick of random generated dungeons

Characters are cool too but maybe not as endearing as p4's

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

No joke, the PS4 is the premiere indie game console.

It was until Switch came out. Now I want all the indie standbys on Switch. Handheld BOI is a game changer.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

It was until Switch came out. Now I want all the indie standbys on Switch. Handheld BOI is a game changer.

You have to pay more than 5 bucks/month for indie games on switch though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah I dunno why someone would choose PC games unless they are gonna drop a chunk of change and never make that stupid $500 argument ever again.

edit: I mean, or the other side is buying a $150 machine just to play Touhou games or whatever but that's not what most people mean when they say PC gaming as a hobby.

Strategy games don't require a beefy PC if you are into those.

(and you should be)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

But Super Robot Wars games aren't coming out for PC? :confused:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Holy poo poo I finally played Inside. Holy poo poo.

That game is near perfect. Best game I've played in years.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Black King Conga posted:

Thanks!

They're both good but Persona 5 is becoming one of my favorite games ever, it's also like 100 hours long so it'll last you quite a while

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

verbal enema posted:

build a PC for a million dollars

If you aren't gaming on a quantum computer why bother?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

If you aren't gaming on a quantum computer why bother?

I tried Nier:A on my quantum computer and got every ending at the same time, it was very unsatisfying.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Obsurveyor posted:

I tried Nier:A on my quantum computer and got every ending at the same time, it was very unsatisfying.

Sensiblechuckle.jpg

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Been clearing my backlog finally completed

Final fantasy 15 = poo poo ending really didn't care decent beginning/mid game

Doom = loving AWESOME

LETITDIE = excellent dark souls style f2p game (I did buy stuff though)

HZD = Good game but I think I spoiled it playing on the hardest difficulty by the end of the storyline I had lost interest.

Still need to finish uncharted 4 which I've been enjoying alot and finish witcher 3

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

VoLaTiLe posted:

Final fantasy 15 = poo poo ending really didn't care decent beginning/mid game

What do you mean by ending? I'd say it had the best ending in the series but I would be specifically talking about the point where you enter the final area to the actual end. If you mean the last few chapters then sure ok.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

VoLaTiLe posted:

finish witcher 3
People don't "finish" witcher 3

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

NNick posted:

People don't "finish" witcher 3

Yeah you do?

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
The last few chapters but by the end of it I really did not care about any of the characters

I did like the picture option however everyone dies for absolutely nothing as it looked like the human race was finished by then. Also I didnt understand the 10 year jump for me it did not make much sense

My ps4 blew up I recently got a ps4 pro so can get back on it. That's the only reason I have not clocked witcher 3 as I'm a fan of the series

VoLaTiLe fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 16, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

These joke endings in Nier or pretty bad. I got a few naturally But I didnt realise they were mostly "run away during a plot point"

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I'm trying to clear my backlog. I love FFXV, but it is a buggy mess. I finished chapter 14 and the trophy didn't pop for some reason, so I'll have to do that again. The fight with Ifrit was pretty cool, though!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

that and most of the best indie games are already on vita, an actual handheld system

Bombadilillo posted:

These joke endings in Nier or pretty bad. I got a few naturally But I didnt realise they were mostly "run away during a plot point"

they aren't

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I just watched them all. They are.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Maybe I'm just a weirdo but I use my PS4 to play new games and then my pc to play old poo poo like sierra adventure games, command and conquer, and the sims.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

I just watched them all. They are.

no I'm saying they aren't mostly running away from a plot point (tho some are for sure). I don't care if you like them or not; that's your choice

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fuzz posted:

I see this argument often and honestly wonder if people have eyes or just poor visual memories or what.

I finally started playing Arkham Knight on PC and it literally has extra shader effects out the rear end (just like every Arkham game) and looks a lot different because of the better lighting effects. Runs fine on my old rear end computer now, too, so I guess they patched it. But yeah, that game is over a year old.

Witcher 3 was the same way... there's resolution poo poo which is one thing and honestly I can agree with people that don't care that much about 4K our whatever because jaggies never bother me much over 720p. That said, Witcher 3's lighting, weather, and even just the clothing and hair of characters look so much better on PC it's ridonkulous.

Even stuff like Shadow of Mordor benefits from the extra power, since it continues to render enemies and poo poo at far distances. On PS4 you'll see a pretty vista, sure, but on PC it's that same gorgeous vista with some nice fog and like 200 Orcs all patrolling across it, hundreds of meters away from you. It literally feels like you're stepping into the LOTR movies at times.

This is not even touching framerate, where often you can pretty easily get PC games locked at 60fps+ if they're ported/patched well. This is the case for Witcher 3, which had some absolutely beautiful animations and looks amazing when you're playing at 60fps.

So yeah, texture memory and resolution wise consoles can mostly match up, but you're literally missing out on graphical features with them vs a PC. A lot of console people seem to not realize this because so many YouTube and twitch people have lovely computers and can't run things totally maxed out the rear end, but that's the way it is. Half the "TRUE MAX HD 60FPS L337 PC H4X" YouTube videos are either not running at full settings or are uploaded stupidly with a lovely capture card that drops frames.

Not PC Master Racing, but seriously... if you state that opinion you're objectively wrong and just advertising that you literally are not noticing often profound visual differences that have nothing to do with texture quality or resolution, which arguably can be hard to notice differences in.

I know a nice PC is going to look better. My point is that console games look so good now that demanding high end PC gaming is like the game equivalent of being an audiophile nerd that acts like a normal stereos are just totally unacceptable. It's not like its like the end of last gen where the consoles were so old that the difference was night and day. You are looking at something only marginally better. Console games look really drat good now and better hardware is much more diminishing returns than it used to be.

And after checking out plenty of stuff on max pc settings and PS pro performance modes I'm convinced it's 75% placebo effect where people are telling themselves that the regular PS4 version of stuff looks much worse than it actually does. I was bouncing around different modes in Horizon on my friends PS4 pro on a 4k TV the other day, and both of us agreed the differences were almost unnoticeable outside of HDR mode which looked a little different. That didn't stop a bunch of people from going "woah you gotta play Horizon on a pro!" because they just assumed that it looked much worse on OG ps4 than it actually does.

Like. In the case of Witcher. I know linking Youtube videos is generally unfair, but all the stuff you listed as selling points are things you dont need a 4K video or anything to see. Do these hair and lighting and weather effects differences honestly look ridonkulous to you? Yeah I guess the horse hair looks better with the magic of NVidia Hairworks ™ lol. But this is not night and day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fUGFmmikn4

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

veni veni veni posted:

Like. In the case of Witcher. I know linking Youtube videos is generally unfair, but all the stuff you listed as selling points are things you dont need a 4K video or anything to see. Do these hair and lighting and weather effects differences honestly look ridonkulous to you? Yeah I guess the horse hair looks better with the magic of NVidia Hairworks ™ lol. But this is not night and day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fUGFmmikn4

You realize that Witcher 3 had two iterative graphics patches on its own, plus an engine revision with the DLCs... right? Comparing pre Day 1 release footge as proof of your argument is some Fox News style presenting of "fact."

It's okay to not care about having super amazing graphics, no one is faulting you for that. The point I was making was to say that the graphics aren't appreciably different is tacitly incorrect, that's all. It makes you look like a fool to post that viewpoint, just watching out for your GOON CRED, bruh.

Off of this stupid derail: You should all play Titanfall 2. It is pretty and good on PS4 and a shitload of fun and you should all play it. :smugbert:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

no I'm saying they aren't mostly running away from a plot point (tho some are for sure). I don't care if you like them or not; that's your choice

9 out of 21 are. The largest portion are poo poo running away.

Does that satisfy your pedantry?

These 2 or 3 good joke endings tops.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 16, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

veni veni veni posted:

I know a nice PC is going to look better. My point is that console games look so good now that demanding high end PC gaming is like the game equivalent of being an audiophile nerd that acts like a normal stereos are just totally unacceptable.

Comparing something with observable effects even you acknowledge to something that involves five-figure voodoo props.

Yup, this sure is a good-faith argument.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I like to play Factorio on my $1400 computer. The PlayStation is for games that don't look as good, like HZD or The Witcher 3.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I play flash games on my 128gb ram & dual 1080 machine. Usually while I am waiting for simulations to calculate though so any games I do play have to be very undemanding.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I only play KSP on my computer and haven't done that in months.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I enjoy being able to play PC games from the past 20+ years with relative ease on one platform, and I also enjoy playing first party console exclusives.
Games are good and so are the micromachines of your choosing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

dont be mean to me posted:

Comparing something with observable effects even you acknowledge to something that involves five-figure voodoo props.

Yup, this sure is a good-faith argument.

Maybe not a perfect comparison because Audiophile is for literal morons who spend tons of money on snake oil, and PC graphics being better is an actual thing but my point was that all game platforms look good now. Some looking slightly better isn't the selling point it used to be when there was a huge difference.