Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

played a demo game of alpha strike as a refresher. felt fun and we banged through in like 30 minutes. what point level do people normally play at?

I mostly see 250 or 300, and we do 600 sometimes as a treat. Those usually take about 4 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's really amazing how the actions of pilots and MechWarriors are so freaking far beyond the pale that its actually impossible for a bystander to believe.

PROPOSAL: A 100 ton artillery trailer will provide missile support to Tank Girl's team all game long

REALITY: A random TAC locks the turret pointing uselessly at nothing for the next 9 hours, a 100 ton initiative sink

PROPOSAL: Player "Leeko" will use VTOLs to destroy enemy artillery and focus down key low mobility units

REALITY: Player "Leeko" hits the boof, scores one random TAC on an artillery trailer, then skids the VTOLs off the map at top speed

PROPOSAL: Elite cyborg fanatics use broken terrain and C3 to deliver accurate heavy PPC fire while jumping everywhere in high BV assault mechs

REALITY: 5000 BV of cyborg piloted Seraph dies simultaneously when one of them reverse headfakes a Gauss round and a Firemoth moving at speeds usually achieved only by hyperpulse generators does a 270 around the entire map to shoot the other one in the rear end with 900 micro pulse lasers, critting nothing except its gyro

PROPOSAL: Stealth vehicles deliver teams of Tau Wraith cyborg commandos with C3 implants to spot targets

REALITY: The stealth vehicles get lost in the woods. The Tau Wraiths get out and hike where they meet a bear called 'elemental 3 flamer'. The stealth vehicles are motive critted by a single VTOL with an er small laser

PROPOSAL: Engage in a dynamic and well planned combined arms battle

REALITY: An armless, torsoless Pack Hunter attempts to DFA a Thor that is tracking everything on the map. Several squads of Marauder battle armor waddle after it like angry ducklings. The Thor runs out of HAG ammo while the Pack Hunter kicks an Elemental squad so hard it disappears

PROPOSAL: Spend 5 hours playing Battletech, determine a victor

REALITY: Spend 9 hours playing Battletech, agree that from the state of our forces at the end everyone has lost

PROPOSAL: "You don't need to go hustle on Doordash to make rent, I'll pay you to play MegaMek"

REALITY: I actually did pay em

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 6, 2024

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

A complete re-write of the rules? That... concerns me. Unless it's to balance stuff like lance/star abilities and command abilities, because I know a lot of groups won't touch those with a 10-foot pole because they think it unbalances the game far too much.

I'm constantly astonished at CGL's strategy of pushing Alpha as hard as possible while attempting to kill it at the same time

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

FLGS is doing a paint contest and I was stoked till I saw it was MWDA Mechs lol.

Still going to enter to see how shiny I can get the turd.

Is their a practical reason even existing decent designs had to be reworked to look like poo poo? Did the FASA designs just not work in that weird gummy plastic?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Owlbear Camus posted:

FLGS is doing a paint contest and I was stoked till I saw it was MWDA Mechs lol.

Is their a practical reason even existing decent designs had to be reworked to look like poo poo? Did the FASA designs just not work in that weird gummy plastic?
Early 2000s marketing towards teens was a hell of a trip

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Owlbear Camus posted:

What possible logic could there be behind this? Did someone find a stash of old MWDA mechs and decide to go hog wild?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

A complete re-write of the rules? That... concerns me. Unless it's to balance stuff like lance/star abilities and command abilities, because I know a lot of groups won't touch those with a 10-foot pole because they think it unbalances the game far too much.

It’s more like Joshua Franklin wouldn’t want to rewrite the core rules as they are, but the current rulebook is basically patches upon patches and lacks certain things while being structured in weird ways (mostly having to do with the fact that Commander’s Edition is compiled from the old rulebook and the AS Companion). There are things he wants to completely rewrite, like artillery, but the core would stay the same.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 6, 2024

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

NinjaDebugger posted:

I mostly see 250 or 300, and we do 600 sometimes as a treat. Those usually take about 4 hours.

yeah that feels about right. thanks

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

played a demo game of alpha strike as a refresher. felt fun and we banged through in like 30 minutes. what point level do people normally play at?

My friend i play with, we usually play at 375. That’s mostly because we’re bouncing lists off of each other for a tournament in Nov (Southern Assault), and that’s their point limit. Last year was also faction and era-locked for lists, with 1 freebie from any time/place to represent a salvaged mech*

*i think, I didn’t get to go last year and that’s mostly how I remember the list building rules before I had to back out.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Atlas Hugged posted:

What possible logic could there be behind this? Did someone find a stash of old MWDA mechs and decide to go hog wild?

It's 100% this. Pretty sure the paint contest mini is usually decided by "well poo poo were overstocked these and they're not moving."

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/YD68yq1m7kwjwJaL/?mibextid=qi2Omg

Gonna do the MAD2C at least Its not too egregious by the standard of these things.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Oh yeah, so while I was at the game store waiting for my alpha strike opponent on sunday, I was like "Did y'all have a box of bits from that collection you bought?" and sure enough, they did. I did not expect to find anything in there, but I went looking for those jenner heads, and miraculously, not only were all three jenner heads present, giving me three metal jenners, but I also found almost an entire black hawk, I'll just have to kitbash a right arm from somewhere.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Can't remember seeing this posted so: https://www.patreon.com/posts/hungry-like-wolf-103570780

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Well the game store I had started frequenting has left their current location but doesn't have a new location picked yet. I don't think they're going to find a new location. :/

Fortunately a new game store opened up nearby and seems far more organized.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Icon Of Sin posted:

My friend i play with, we usually play at 375. That’s mostly because we’re bouncing lists off of each other for a tournament in Nov (Southern Assault), and that’s their point limit. Last year was also faction and era-locked for lists, with 1 freebie from any time/place to represent a salvaged mech*

*i think, I didn’t get to go last year and that’s mostly how I remember the list building rules before I had to back out.

I looked this up and that sounds rad. I also saw these rules: https://wolfsdragoons.com/alpha-strike-core-tournament-rules-2/ but didn't know if they were current. either way having a low point and high point boundary helps give people guard rails. so thanks

at the moment my idea is to get the group playing a narrative campaign and see if I can build momentum

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I say all that but then I remembered that I made some progress painting:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

General Battuta posted:

Where is the gay man who uses battle armor smokes? I want to adopt his tactics for a big Megamek game today!

e: sorry if I got your personal identity wrong BattleMaster

It's me but unfortunately MegaMek doesn't support smoke rounds for BA grenades!

Which I guess you might have found out by now.

However it supports smoke missiles just fine so be sure to throw a ton into every one of those LRM 10s that comes with 2 tons of ammo

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

BattleMaster posted:

However it supports smoke missiles just fine so be sure to throw a ton into every one of those LRM 10s that comes with 2 tons of ammo

And then dump the other ton in the back of the 'Mechbay because you won't be firing anything else anyway.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

BattleMaster posted:

It's me but unfortunately MegaMek doesn't support smoke rounds for BA grenades!

Which I guess you might have found out by now.

I just brought an LRM carrier with a spare ton of smokes. I forgot to change back to regular warheads after smoking up my position and dropped 60 smoke LRMs on an enemy Glass Spider parked on top of a hill in partial cover :doh:

I also ran into this loving thing, specifically the ihgauss variant, which in a sick twist of fate is tanking my entire list's weapon fire because I only have PPCs and lasers. It's a tough life when ER PPCs hit for 5...just a few more rotor hits and maybe it'll die...

This game is so much fun, I'm hitting Megamek every chance I get. I've talked loads of poo poo about classic Battletech as a board game in this thread, so I'm shocked how much I enjoy it with Megamek to automate everything.

e: I have also been trying out Tau Zombie manny dominos infantry, using Sprints to ferry them around. They are ridiculously durable, I had a squad survive a range 0 exchange with an Elemental 3 point. I also hosed up badly and dropped some of them from altitude 3 (failed zipline roll) and they bounced! Wish they weren't married to the Support Laser but I'm not sure how to customize them in Megamek...

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 8, 2024

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

General Battuta posted:

I just brought an LRM carrier with a spare ton of smokes. I forgot to change back to regular warheads after smoking up my position and dropped 60 smoke LRMs on an enemy Glass Spider parked on top of a hill in partial cover :doh:

I also ran into this loving thing, specifically the ihgauss variant, which in a sick twist of fate is tanking my entire list's weapon fire because I only have PPCs and lasers. It's a tough life when ER PPCs hit for 5...just a few more rotor hits and maybe it'll die...

This game is so much fun, I'm hitting Megamek every chance I get. I've talked loads of poo poo about classic Battletech as a board game in this thread, so I'm shocked how much I enjoy it with Megamek to automate everything.

e: I have also been trying out Tau Zombie manny dominos infantry, using Sprints to ferry them around. They are ridiculously durable, I had a squad survive a range 0 exchange with an Elemental 3 point. I also hosed up badly and dropped some of them from altitude 3 (failed zipline roll) and they bounced! Wish they weren't married to the Support Laser but I'm not sure how to customize them in Megamek...

I've had some oddness in Megamek when opening a pre-existing unit to mod it. I was trying to do a modified Fury dropship (swap a vehicle bay or two for Battle Armor carrying capacity) and it wouldn't display those bay choices at first. *Think* I got around it by saving it under another name, then re-opening it and suddenly it let me adjust the sheet as I wanted.

Out of curiosity, was "manny dominos" a typo or deliberate choice? If the latter, good, those guys need more mocking nicknames. I kind of like the WoB Celestial mechs anyway, though I'm waiting to mess with those since I understand there will be plastics of them coming in the future. Given the insane BV of lore-accurate MD units, not sure when I'd get to field them though. Ah well, at the moment I'm mostly just painting, and they'll look cool enough for that without any worries about points.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

And then dump the other ton in the back of the 'Mechbay because you won't be firing anything else anyway.
Thunder Augs :colbert:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Arquinsiel posted:

Thunder Augs :colbert:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

Out of curiosity, was "manny dominos" a typo or deliberate choice? If the latter, good, those guys need more mocking nicknames. I kind of like the WoB Celestial mechs anyway, though I'm waiting to mess with those since I understand there will be plastics of them coming in the future. Given the insane BV of lore-accurate MD units, not sure when I'd get to field them though. Ah well, at the moment I'm mostly just painting, and they'll look cool enough for that without any worries about points.

I love the lil guys but they do absolutely deserve a ribbing, and they're very difficult to field in a BV balanced game if you pile on the implants and C3i. Well, the mechs at least - the infantry seem surprisingly affordable for the capabilities you get, if you're willing to put ~230 BV into a squad of six guys.

The Celestials are a zany bunch. They have some solid configs, but the primary ("Invictus") configs are...not easily understood by a frail mind like mine

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

I say all that but then I remembered that I made some progress painting:

These are really cool. Sometimes a single color broken up by weapon metal and cockpits is just better than something complicated.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

General Battuta posted:

MegaMek makes it much easier to use C3 networks.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

These are really cool. Sometimes a single color broken up by weapon metal and cockpits is just better than something complicated.

why thank you. I still have highlights and some static grass to go but they're good enough for a few rounds this weekend

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Noooooo! :gonk:

Static grass is a great and useful basing tool, but it needs to be used very cautiously with BattleTech miniatures. There's a huge difference between using it in a 1:60 Warhammer mini and a 1:285 BattleTech mini.

If you want that grassy look, consider using fine turf instead. By carefully combining dark green, light green, and yellow or brown turfs you can still capture that grassy aesthetic. Used without anything else to ground the miniature, static grass can make your 'Mechs seem really small or unimpressive.

There are a few things that can help, though!
1) Use alien / unnatural colors in your static grass like reds or purples, to help establish that it isn't grass but some sort of weird alien plant.
2) Mix basing elements. Use static grass in addition to other features like clump foliage (as bushes), fine turf (as human-scale grass), or even unnatural elements like 6mm infantry, building rubble, cars, or other objects that look manmade to help make the static grass look big rather than letting the static grass make your 'Mechs look small. I don't suggest basing rocks for this, because rocks come in a lot of different sizes.

That said: You don't have to use every trick on every base. It's perfectly fine to do mostly static grass on half your bases if you've got 1-2 bases with tiny infantrymen to help establish that the static grass is 3 meters tall.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

PhotoKirk posted:

MegaMek makes it much easier to use C3 networks.
How so? For drawing lines of sight through interdicting ECM?

I was recently clued in on a rule change reversal where C3 spotters originally didn't need LOS to provide data to the network. Then it did, and then most recently it didn't again.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

Static grass is a great and useful basing tool, but it needs to be used very cautiously with BattleTech miniatures. There's a huge difference between using it in a 1:60 Warhammer mini and a 1:285 BattleTech mini.

If you want that grassy look, consider using fine turf instead. By carefully combining dark green, light green, and yellow or brown turfs you can still capture that grassy aesthetic. Used without anything else to ground the miniature, static grass can make your 'Mechs seem really small or unimpressive.

1) Use alien / unnatural colors in your static grass like reds or purples, to help establish that it isn't grass but some sort of weird alien plant.
2) Mix basing elements. Use static grass in addition to other features like clump foliage (as bushes), fine turf (as human-scale grass), or even unnatural elements like 6mm infantry, building rubble, cars, or other objects that look manmade to help make the static grass look big rather than letting the static grass make your 'Mechs look small. I don't suggest basing rocks for this, because rocks come in a lot of different sizes.

That said: You don't have to use every trick on every base. It's perfectly fine to do mostly static grass on half your bases if you've got 1-2 bases with tiny infantrymen to help establish that the static grass is 3 meters tall.

Poptarts you've always been super helpful with this stuff thank you

I was being loose and really meant something to break up the landscape. I do know there's a scale size difference between these and other miniatures games. the quick start suggested, I think N, scale train hobby stuff and I have a Hobby Town nearish that I was going to stop by sometime and see what they have

the alternative is getting some blue / teal ink then water effects and try to make it look coastal. really I just want something to break up the warm colors a bit to give the models some more depth

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

How so? For drawing lines of sight through interdicting ECM?

I was recently clued in on a rule change reversal where C3 spotters originally didn't need LOS to provide data to the network. Then it did, and then most recently it didn't again.

It handles all the LOS, distances, etc. Just lets me be lazy and concentrate on big robots punching each other.

quote:

Kitty litter makes great boulders.

SHD2H by photokirk, on Flickr

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Poptarts you've always been super helpful with this stuff thank you

I was being loose and really meant something to break up the landscape. I do know there's a scale size difference between these and other miniatures games. the quick start suggested, I think N, scale train hobby stuff and I have a Hobby Town nearish that I was going to stop by sometime and see what they have

Sorry, I tend to overreact to static grass mentions. It's a really useful tool that can absolutely ruin great looking minis like yours.

Some really dark green foliage could help make the red pop even more.

You can also pull off some good looking water effects just by painting the base and putting a transparent layer of water effects over it. I don't have any minis using that, but I did try it on some old objective markers:

An ice base would probably look nice, too:

But really, the color is less important than the contrast. Unless you're doing camo (in which case, blending into the base is ideal), if you've got a bright paintjob (like red) putting your 'Mechs on a dark base will make them pop, and vice-versa. If you've got dark 'mechs, a light base will make them pop.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 8, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you gently caress up just whack it with some matte varnish spray and it'll clump down and look like a shrub. It's really not that bad.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Finally settled on a base colour for my mechs!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
That orange is awesome, great job.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Count Thrashula posted:

That orange is awesome, great job.

No no, it's an Annihilator, the Awesome has only been primed yet :buddy:

But thanks, these stompy bois have really re-ignited my hobby flame :shobon:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I hope you name your mechs with orange puns

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I am now!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I love that the foot detail is picked out that way. It's not something you see often.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Getting 35 year old paint off plastic is loving miserable. Two weeks of soaking in various solvents, including 99% IPA and LA's Totally Awesome, plus repeated application of a small wire brush, and this is what I've got.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm having a similar amount of trouble stripping paint off new plastic BattleTech minis, so I feel your pain. An ultrasonic cleaner helps, but only so far.

It's my own fault for using really durable primers, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm having a similar amount of trouble stripping paint off new plastic BattleTech minis, so I feel your pain. An ultrasonic cleaner helps, but only so far.

It's my own fault for using really durable primers, I guess.

Yeah, those are 1988 minis, from the PlasTech box, so the primer's been on there a LONG loving time. There were at least five layers of paint, as well. If I can't get them properly cleaned with an ultrasonic, I'll consider dismembering them for kitbashing or basing.