Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

even if fami is 100% telling the truth about her plan it's still completely impossible. these dumb losers can't arrange a heart transplant! the rest of it might work, in theory. but denji would definitely die at the end and asa's the only one that would care.

It's hilariious how Fami is just as manipulative as Makima in her way, but also a complete doofus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Huh, maybe Katana man is not such a bad dude. :v:

He's on the path to being Denji's friend. Think about Aki, he started out threatening Denji's life (if he hosed up) and getting kicked in the balls by Denji, hating him for a while, but eventually: friends!

Kick your enemies in the balls to eventually make them your friends, it's a proven method :v:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Brightman posted:

He's on the path to being Denji's friend. Think about Aki, he started out threatening Denji's life (if he hosed up) and getting kicked in the balls by Denji, hating him for a while, but eventually: friends!

Kick your enemies in the balls to eventually make them your friends, it's a proven method :v:

He even smokes too!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

It's hilariious how Fami is just as manipulative as Makima in her way, but also a complete doofus.

One of the best moments from this chapter, definitely.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

uPen posted:

*stepping over a dead body*

Look Denji if you just let a group of high schoolers give you a heart transplant you can go back to your normal life.

*city skyline collapsing, on fire*

I'm sure your daughter is safe with the police, you can go pick her up and go back to school.

“Denji the dead bodies and burning buildings are normal. Now focus, we have to get you back to the other normal.”

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

King of Solomon posted:

One of the best moments from this chapter, definitely.

Amazingly Fami's "Stay perfectly silent until everyone else gets distracted so no one asks any follow up questions about how obviously suspicious you are" strategy worked perfectly.

My prediction for next chapter: Denji is gonna bail. The vibe here has gotten weird and terrible, there's no way he's going to keep hanging around these people. The train is going to stop and he'll kick Katana Man in the nuts and make a break for it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So at what point is Asa gonna recite her poetry to Denji?

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Fami's plan sucks because it is very, very hard to solve complex problems on an empty stomach.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Feels like it's the week before the complete collapse of society lmao

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

MorningMoon posted:

Feels like it's the week before the complete collapse of society lmao

Yeah. But did you read the chapter yet?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
death devil telling her heralds to hurry up and fulfill the prophecy before everyone gets so numb they’re no longer scared of her

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
When Denji is talking about eating toilet paper (jesus his life sucked), Asa tells him to stop talking in metaphors. Is this just a translation quirk, she's just telling him to get to the point, or does she not believe he actually ate TP?

It would be the most Asa thing ever, because her life was already so bad, not realizing that other peole can have even worse ones. I wonder if she'll ever get to know how much bad poo poo happened to Denji.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i think its less not believing him and more him using that situation as a metaphor for his current situation. He cant go back.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

i think its less not believing him and more him using that situation as a metaphor for his current situation. He cant go back.

I'm pretty sure Asa doesn't believe him. Or even realize that he's not making up a metaphor, but just stating blunt fact from his past.

It's been a funny thing about Asa and Denji that, as the manga has gone on, Denji's been more "He looks like an idiot, but he's got a good brain when he exercises it", while Asa acts like she's the smartest person in the room, while she's really... not that.

(I'd be amused, but not entirely shocked, to see Denji getting better grades.)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I do think Asa believed him about the TP - the look on her face as he tells the story is kind of an "oh. Oh gently caress." sort of realization. I just think she's confused as to why Denji brings up that story when she's talking about giving him a normal life. She's likely told herself so much that this is for the greater good and that she will help him go back to normal that she's totally blind to the world crumbling around her. Then denji's story hits her like a ton of bricks as she realizes they may be well and truly hosed. After he says he can't go back, she mimics his facial expression and posture of hopelessness. She repeats she's determined to help him, but the angle of the panel is from the floor looking up at her - she's trying to convince herself, not Denji. Every previous time she was talking to him, now she's talking to the fuckin floor.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Reading this chapter really makes it stand out what an abysmal idea this is when you say it out loud, and I really have to wonder why Fami especially thinks it’s a good idea, because she seems to know who to be aware that Denji probably values Pochita’s existence as much if not more than his own. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s not exactly being straightforward and has contingencies for that.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Considering Famine has not, as far as we know, gone through the "rebirths" that Control and War have, she might be trying to pull some Makima poo poo here

You might think Yoru would notice and object if that was the case, but while war is many things, it has never been smart

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Has anyone pointed out that Denji being pressured to become a prostitute by a member of the Yakuza as a child might make him not want to visit a prostitute with a member of the Yakuza as an adult?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I do think Asa believed him about the TP - the look on her face as he tells the story is kind of an "oh. Oh gently caress." sort of realization. I just think she's confused as to why Denji brings up that story when she's talking about giving him a normal life. She's likely told herself so much that this is for the greater good and that she will help him go back to normal that she's totally blind to the world crumbling around her. Then denji's story hits her like a ton of bricks as she realizes they may be well and truly hosed. After he says he can't go back, she mimics his facial expression and posture of hopelessness. She repeats she's determined to help him, but the angle of the panel is from the floor looking up at her - she's trying to convince herself, not Denji. Every previous time she was talking to him, now she's talking to the fuckin floor.

See, I think she's mostly just confused, and assuming that Denji's using TP as a metaphor for something. She doesn't really look down until Denji says bluntly he can't go back, at which point she completely misreads him, assuming it's "No, things have gotten too dire, my normal life can never recover, woe is me", when Denji's point is "I can't go for a normal life. Normal life sucks poo poo. I need something better."

(And this is where I note again how Denji reads Asa pretty well, while Asa completely doesn't get Denji. )

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i think the "normal life" conversation is particularly fun in terms of how asa mirrors denji

if denji somehow goes back to pre-act 1 normal, like folks have said his life is hell. if asa goes back to pre-act 2 normal, her life is not quite as bad as denji's but still awful. the sense of normalcy either of them wants was lost way before they actually made any sort of contract-- denji realizes this and asa doesn't

stuker fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 15, 2024

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Katana Man sucks! Katana Man rules!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supersonic Shine posted:

Katana Man sucks! Katana Man rules!

Go back to eye bed, Future Devil.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Denji's life sucked before, but now he can regenerate from having his head cut off and his limbs being mass-produced through a surgery/regeneration cycle. Dude even bragged about carving up his brain when fighting mind-assault devils. Asa still has just the one arm, and she's still risking everything for the guy, even though she's very aware she's amid a throng of people who could snuff her out instantly.

Denji rules and all, but Asa also rules.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

oh 100%, i love asa-- just meant their relative perspectives. this would be really boring if it was both of them feeling depressed for 10 pages before katana man saves the day

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Desumaytah posted:

Denji's life sucked before, but now he can regenerate from having his head cut off and his limbs being mass-produced through a surgery/regeneration cycle. Dude even bragged about carving up his brain when fighting mind-assault devils. Asa still has just the one arm, and she's still risking everything for the guy, even though she's very aware she's amid a throng of people who could snuff her out instantly.

Denji rules and all, but Asa also rules.

Denji's regeneration does nothing about the pain. In fact, using his chainsaws feels like, well, slicing your arms open with chainsaws. Acting like that's something that makes his life suck less feels like a very subjective assessment.

Asa, meanwhile, has several heavy hitters bailing her out at all times lately and defeated Public Safety's second most dangerous known active agent in a fight, with the first most dangerous saying she's not getting involved.

What's more important is that Asa's... hmn. Well, to begin with something simple, Asa's a contrast to Denji as protagonist. He's active, she's passive. He's a veteran from childhood, she was a civilian until her near death. She's a picky eater, he asks if someone's just going to throw away a perfectly good scab. You get the idea. And it brings us here.

Now, Denji's got a very weak sense of guilt, but a very strong sense of empathy. He's good at moving on (worse now, but he's still managing pretty well considering) but he really gets other people's troubles and helps out. Asa, meanwhile, is driven by guilt (it's her superpower, even) but empathy? Not such a big feature. She wants to "save" Denji, not because it's what he wants, but to provide her life meaning and let her feel like it's okay to be alive. Sad, yes. But... not heroic. And with her refusal to confront facts (like, you know, that Fami's playing her like a puppet on a string) that's liable to lead to tragedy. I mean, remember who taught Asa the "heart's in the right place" line?

Remember how that ended?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chiasaur11 posted:

Now, Denji's got a very weak sense of guilt,

This feels incorrect. Denji has a very weak sense of shame, but his sense of guilt is strong and is one of the few things that can overcome his natural drive towards hedonism.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
You have one choice, Denji: sex or the saw. Sex is, well... nobody knows. But the saw... the saw is family.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

You know, for science...:science:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am surprised no one came up with that being the conclusion to that story beat.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
the bottom surgery arc

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I don't know if I should be laughing or crying

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
......I genuinely don't know if Yoru is planning to give him a quickie or planning to cut off his dick.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

......I genuinely don't know if Yoru is planning to give him a quickie or planning to cut off his dick.

I don't think it really matters as either way it would take a miracle for it to lead to anything good.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Lt. Lizard posted:

look Denji's nightmare is just beginning.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

i love fujimoto so much bros

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I don't think it will happen but we might get a dick sword outta this, or maybe a dick club? Dick gun? Dick chainsaw?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The use of the panel break at the bottom here is so good

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Electric Phantasm posted:

I don't know if I should be laughing or crying

Yeah, it owns

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011