Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Help me out with a song that's at least 20 years old. Solo woman with a guitar. Slow song, kinda wistful. Only lyrics I remember are:

"All I want to do,
is to spend some time with you,
so I can hold you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Buttchocks posted:

Help me out with a song that's at least 20 years old. Solo woman with a guitar. Slow song, kinda wistful. Only lyrics I remember are:

"All I want to do,
is to spend some time with you,
so I can hold you."

Chris Bell - You and Your Sister

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-yvdIHOdxw

You might be remembering the Susanna Hoffs version or some other cover.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

The version by This Mortal Coil (featuring Kim Deal and Tanya Donnelly) is one of my favorite songs. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YwRzdCkzRHE

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Erebus posted:

Chris Bell - You and Your Sister

You might be remembering the Susanna Hoffs version or some other cover.

That's the one, thanks!

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I heard this song on the muzak feed where I worked, within a couple of years of 2000. Female vocalist, low and mellow, and the chorus had a horn hook like what I tried to replicate here: https://phallen1.com/song.html

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A song I heard on my local oldies station recently (yeah, I'm a Millennial who listens to oldies on the radio). I want to say that it's a Monkees song but I'm not exactly sure; if it is the Monkees, it's not one like Daydream Believer that gets a lot of airplay. Something about a bum who has been selected to receive government help but at the end of the song the bum is quite happy with his life.

e: Never mind, I found it - D.W Washburn.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 1, 2023

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Not quite a song, but what is the “Yeah!” Sample used in tons of old hip hop? 4 3 2 1 by LL Cool J uses it most prominently that I’ve heard lately, but it’s stuck in my brain now.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Not quite a song, but what is the “Yeah!” Sample used in tons of old hip hop? 4 3 2 1 by LL Cool J uses it most prominently that I’ve heard lately, but it’s stuck in my brain now.

WhoSampled attributes it to Beastie Boys - Girls. Hard to tell if it's actually a sample there too but it sounds pretty organic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_PNKah1ow&t=131s

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Ok, so this song is like almost a country song and lives in the category of Dire Straits/Genesis/the 80s.

It starts out with a really well known melody that's almost like a whistle or an organ
Dooooooooo, doodoo-doodoo dooooooo
Doo-doo doo-doo doooooo (mans voice: woohoo!)
Doodoo-doo doooooo..

... anything?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It’s Dire Straights, Walk of Life

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

morestuff posted:

It’s Dire Straights, Walk of Life

I was soooo close! Thank you!!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That song comes up all the time here for some reason. I guess it's ubiquitous and earwormy but the title lyric isn't particularly memorable and doesn't come on the earwormy part.

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello
"Help me identify Dire Straits - Walk of Life" Megathread

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It's like how every "identify a book" thread is about 50% Ray Bradbury short stories

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am surprised Baker Street does not come up more often, given Gerry Rafferty's singing on that song is so subdued as to functionally not exist compared to the exploding saxophone. I swear it took me five times learning what that song was called before I actually heard him sing the name

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am surprised Baker Street does not come up more often, given Gerry Rafferty's singing on that song is so subdued as to functionally not exist compared to the exploding saxophone. I swear it took me five times learning what that song was called before I actually heard him sing the name

It's also got more lyrics than you'd think, and they're kind of sad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's because the lyrics to Baker Street are iconic and unforgettable.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Almost positive it is an 80s pop song (thought it may be considered classic rock now). Pretty sure it is a very well known song by a very well known artist. The only thing I know is a non-verbal part that goes "Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh ohhh oh". I don't remember it being distinctly male or female (could have been a harmony of both). That's not much to go on, but I can tell you the melody and cadence of the "whoa oh oh" part is almost identical, but a little bit slower than, "Ain't got no home" by Clarence 'Frogman' Henry. It is also not by Dire Straits or Gerry Rafferty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIvy9nSlZf0&t=35s

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Skunkduster posted:

Almost positive it is an 80s pop song (thought it may be considered classic rock now). Pretty sure it is a very well known song by a very well known artist. The only thing I know is a non-verbal part that goes "Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh ohhh oh". I don't remember it being distinctly male or female (could have been a harmony of both). That's not much to go on, but I can tell you the melody and cadence of the "whoa oh oh" part is almost identical, but a little bit slower than, "Ain't got no home" by Clarence 'Frogman' Henry. It is also not by Dire Straits or Gerry Rafferty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIvy9nSlZf0&t=35s

This seems like it fits all that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuYvKLZXKhI&t=76s

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

That's it, thanks! I know the song well, but was just completely drawing a blank.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Caught the back half of a song on the radio this afternoon. Can't remember the lyrics, but they did say it was by Linda Ronstadt, which amused me because the couple of songs of hers I had heard before I hadn't liked.

Guitar reminded me a bit of the Beatles' Yesterday, in both sound and chord progression. The song had strings, very baroque pop that initially made me think it was (probably) older than what this has to be by a few years. I had initially thought it was 1965-67ish because it felt like Wrecking Crew stuff of that era.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Caught the back half of a song on the radio this afternoon. Can't remember the lyrics, but they did say it was by Linda Ronstadt, which amused me because the couple of songs of hers I had heard before I hadn't liked.

Guitar reminded me a bit of the Beatles' Yesterday, in both sound and chord progression. The song had strings, very baroque pop that initially made me think it was (probably) older than what this has to be by a few years. I had initially thought it was 1965-67ish because it felt like Wrecking Crew stuff of that era.

This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9qsDgA1q8Y

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

In finally just clicking on a ton of Ronstadt songs, I figured it out. This ended up being from 1970.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OADhKjNz8mI

Through the clicking around, I realized that a) I had heard more of her songs than I thought and b) this is going to be the only song of hers that clicks for me in the slightest.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Not Linkin Park but sounded kind of Linkin Park adjacent. Heavy use of those 'male chant' keyboard voices. Male singer except for like a bridge I think. Couldn't really make out the lyrics except I think I heard something like 'close[r?] to sublime' rhymed with 'lies' and then 'sing hallelujah' but this was DEFINITELY NOT the worship song 'sing hallelujah' which is cluttering all my search results.

God drat the bad sound system in my gym

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Killingyouguy! posted:

Not Linkin Park but sounded kind of Linkin Park adjacent. Heavy use of those 'male chant' keyboard voices. Male singer except for like a bridge I think. Couldn't really make out the lyrics except I think I heard something like 'close[r?] to sublime' rhymed with 'lies' and then 'sing hallelujah' but this was DEFINITELY NOT the worship song 'sing hallelujah' which is cluttering all my search results.

God drat the bad sound system in my gym

Phoenix - Alpha Zulu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKX_KUXcyiM

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yes, that's it! Thank you!

e: i got basically nothing about this song right, amazing

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 7, 2023

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Heard it on a dying college radio station yesterday, no DJ and no show scheduling means they're just shuffling the ENTIRE station playlist and it leads to some great songs, like this one. It also means they don't have the track listing up anymore, since noone is in to maintain it.

Female fronted punk, more towards pop punk/easy punk. Super high voice, very clear & almost breath-y. Only remember two words as the chorus started, sounded like "go easy". It was taken from a live album (I can't imagine the station would risk using some rip of a Youtube concert vid or anything, so I assume it has to be an official live album); the crowd was super into it and singing along. In the bridge it was only bass/drums and the singer thanked the bassist for keeping the groove or thereabouts.

Vaguely remember the pre-chorus having the guitar drop out for just bass/drums, kept the tempo up and then everything came back together for the chorus. Ugh. I knew I should have stopped in some random parking lot and downloaded Shazam before it finished.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Omnikin posted:

Heard it on a dying college radio station yesterday, no DJ and no show scheduling means they're just shuffling the ENTIRE station playlist and it leads to some great songs, like this one. It also means they don't have the track listing up anymore, since noone is in to maintain it.

Female fronted punk, more towards pop punk/easy punk. Super high voice, very clear & almost breath-y. Only remember two words as the chorus started, sounded like "go easy". It was taken from a live album (I can't imagine the station would risk using some rip of a Youtube concert vid or anything, so I assume it has to be an official live album); the crowd was super into it and singing along. In the bridge it was only bass/drums and the singer thanked the bassist for keeping the groove or thereabouts.

Vaguely remember the pre-chorus having the guitar drop out for just bass/drums, kept the tempo up and then everything came back together for the chorus. Ugh. I knew I should have stopped in some random parking lot and downloaded Shazam before it finished.

Tsunami Bomb maybe? They have a live album. Give them a listen and either her voice will be instantly recognizable as the one or it won't be.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Thanks, but not it. Not as chaotic and true punk as Tsunami Bomb

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Pretty good shot that it's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NtI0SawoOQ

If it isn't check them out anyway, they're great

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

misguided rage posted:

Pretty good shot that it's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NtI0SawoOQ

If it isn't check them out anyway, they're great

Posting mid chorus to day I really appreciate you. So happy you found this

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

this is gonna be hella vague and i'm so sorry but i was under duress when i heard it and now it's driving me nuts.

i was in a harley dealership bathroom nearly falling over from heat exhaustion and i heard the riff. clean guitar (maybe bass), no distortion. even time, no percussion. if i had to do the sound it'd be like "dun dun dun dundundun dundundun dundundun" where the note progression was "down up down upupup downdowndown downdowndown". clean vocals, i only recall the word "she" as the opening word for one of the lines, which isn't super helpful. was a slower song for sure. i don't remember any crescendo to the song where they kicked in distortion or maybe not even percussion but i maybe only heard half the song so that might not be accurate. it was mellow at least.

would've been probably mid-90s grunge/alternative/rock. probably lumped in the same pile as sound garden, stp, alice in chains, and all that stuff. i'm almost certain the voice wasn't chris cornell or anything whiny. it was on some station that was also playing our lady peace and pearl jam.

terrible description, i know. it's all i can remember from the terrible moment. i've been combing alternative playlists on spotify. please send help.

EDIT: thinking back to it, maybe it's more in the lane of fuel and days of the new? that kinda post-grunge thing? i'm probably making it more murky. bottom line no overdrive/compression/distortion that i recall, minimal percussion if any. clean singing. still hella 90s sounding.

knuthgrush fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 23, 2023

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

knuthgrush posted:

this is gonna be hella vague and i'm so sorry but i was under duress when i heard it and now it's driving me nuts.

i was in a harley dealership bathroom nearly falling over from heat exhaustion and i heard the riff. clean guitar (maybe bass), no distortion. even time, no percussion. if i had to do the sound it'd be like "dun dun dun dundundun dundundun dundundun" where the note progression was "down up down upupup downdowndown downdowndown". clean vocals, i only recall the word "she" as the opening word for one of the lines, which isn't super helpful. was a slower song for sure. i don't remember any crescendo to the song where they kicked in distortion or maybe not even percussion but i maybe only heard half the song so that might not be accurate. it was mellow at least.

would've been probably mid-90s grunge/alternative/rock. probably lumped in the same pile as sound garden, stp, alice in chains, and all that stuff. i'm almost certain the voice wasn't chris cornell or anything whiny. it was on some station that was also playing our lady peace and pearl jam.

terrible description, i know. it's all i can remember from the terrible moment. i've been combing alternative playlists on spotify. please send help.

EDIT: thinking back to it, maybe it's more in the lane of fuel and days of the new? that kinda post-grunge thing? i'm probably making it more murky. bottom line no overdrive/compression/distortion that i recall, minimal percussion if any. clean singing. still hella 90s sounding.

Green Day - She?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

codyclarke posted:

Green Day - She?

sadly, no. the riff is more noodly and way more slow. maybe a slide involved. i could definitely see the comparison based on my alliteration, though.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

knuthgrush posted:

i was in a harley dealership bathroom nearly falling over from heat exhaustion and i heard the riff. clean guitar (maybe bass), no distortion. even time, no percussion. if i had to do the sound it'd be like "dun dun dun dundundun dundundun dundundun" where the note progression was "down up down upupup downdowndown downdowndown".

Probably wrong, but the progression and phrasing seems like it could be Blue by Eiffel 65.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If I had a fever dream song from nearly passing out in a harley dealership bathroom, I'm not sure I'd want to remember tbh

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

it's not blue and i'm not sure i want to remember it either but it was just such a surreal moment i was trying to track it down.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

knuthgrush posted:

sadly, no. the riff is more noodly and way more slow. maybe a slide involved. i could definitely see the comparison based on my alliteration, though.

These probably aren't it, but just to eliminate some ubiquitous 90s 'she' usage:

Matchbox 20 - 3AM?
Ben Folds Five - Brick?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I've had a power metal track stuck in the back of my head for over a week now and I can't remember the drat song for the life of me. It's something along the lines of Brainstorm or Gamma Ray and all I remember is them singing about seeking "shelter from the storm." I can also vaguely remember the main riff if there's some way of sharing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

knuthgrush posted:

clean guitar (maybe bass), no distortion. even time, no percussion. if i had to do the sound it'd be like "dun dun dun dundundun dundundun dundundun" where the note progression was "down up down upupup downdowndown downdowndown". clean vocals, i only recall the word "she" as the opening word for one of the lines, which isn't super helpful. was a slower song for sure. i don't remember any crescendo to the song where they kicked in distortion or maybe not even percussion but i maybe only heard half the song so that might not be accurate. it was mellow at least.

Throwing some ideas out there based on what you're describing

Bush - Glycerine
Live - Lightning Crashes

Are either of these in the neighborhood? Faster/slower?