Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

But Whedon is largely credited with popularizing the style in the 90s with Buffy, and it's a style he uses in everything he writes. I can't think of an earlier example that was so high profile, so his name is a useful shorthand for the style. What else would you call it that would so clearly and briefly communicate the style?

It's not even a flat insult. Like I hate everything he writes, but people who like him use the term in a positive sense too.

Well, I'm not totally disagreeing, but Whedon is such a polarizing name, and it seems to get tossed around to describe self-aware, meta or "whitty" dialogue. Those things are all part of Whedon's style, and he carries it wherever he goes, but these are also common elements of humor. While Whedon may have helped popularize this comedic/dramatic style, it's also reflected in Dawson's Creek, which was on at the same time as Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The creator of Dawson's Creek is the same person who wrote all four Scream movies, which are famous for their genre-awareness and meta commentary. Writers who worked on Dawson's Creek went on to work on Californication which also has a witty punch to it's dialogue. This is just off the top of my head. Sure it doesn't prove that Whedon wasn't the influence behinds some lines someone said in GotG, but I think it's pretty shallow and unfair to associate what has been a popular and wide-reaching current in dramadies for awhile now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It doesn't mean he invented it or that a given film is directly influenced by him, he's just the most prominent example and thus best name to use as short hand. It's a way to say "this thing is like this other thing," not "this thing is derived from this thing."

What short hand would you provide in its place? If someone calls GotG "Dawson's Creekian" who will understand what is meant? If they name drop the showrunner for the series how many people will know who that is?

Do you take offense to the terms Dickensian or Kafkaesque as well? Because they didn't respectively invent impoverished social injustice or surrealistic menacingly complex systems as narrative tools, nor are they the only skilled authors to use them. But they did make the most visible use of those elements in our culture. They're just widely recognized reference points that make for efficient communication of a concept.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 24, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Woah I was just talking about it. Carry on, or whatever...

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I'm not angry or intending to sound mean, sorry if the tone came across harsh in writing. It's just odd to call people ignorant for using the term when it's a pretty logical and efficient term to use. Anyway, no aggression intended. Just clarifying, maybe with too much detail that made it sound like I'm talking down? Sorry if it came across that way.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

I'm not angry or intending to sound mean, sorry if the tone came across harsh in writing. It's just odd to call people ignorant for using the term when it's a pretty logical and efficient term to use. Anyway, no aggression intended. Just clarifying, maybe with too much detail that made it sound like I'm talking down? Sorry if it came across that way.

No it's okay. I just don't have any better application for all this pointless knowledge than to run my mouth about it. I think it just bugged me in the first place because Whedon is such a polarizing person that using his name as a descriptor is going to aid people in bringing their preconceptions

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'd say that Shane Black is a bigger influence on that style than Whedon was.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

I'd say that Shane Black is a bigger influence on that style than Whedon was.

I'm not sure I could say he was a bigger influence, but he is yet another contemporary with a similar tone.

edit: And it really doesn't help that Whedon, Black, and Gunn are now all MCU directors. There's a good chance it's why they are, though.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Snak posted:

No it's okay. I just don't have any better application for all this pointless knowledge than to run my mouth about it. I think it just bugged me in the first place because Whedon is such a polarizing person that using his name as a descriptor is going to aid people in bringing their preconceptions

Well yea - either you like his style or you don't, but he's a big enough name for it to BE polarizing. Which is the point.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
Does a website exist that lists typical movie clichés? It's something I have a fondness for.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MisterGBH posted:

Does a website exist that lists typical movie clichés? It's something I have a fondness for.

If you ignore the terrible community and all the anime stuff, TVtropes has plenty of movie stuff. I'm not telling you to go there. I'm just saying this happens to be a true fact.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Ebert's Glossary of Movie Terms is far better option than TVTropes.

Ebert posted:

"Fruit Cart!"
An expletive used by knowledgeable film buffs during any chase scene involving a foreign or ethniclocale, reflecting their certainty that a fruit cart will be overturned during the chase, and an angry peddler will run into the middle of the street to shake his fist at the hero's departing vehicle.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Who the yell uses "Fruit Cart" as an expletive and when the fruit cart would they use it?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

xcore posted:

Who the yell uses "Fruit Cart" as an expletive and when the fruit cart would they use it?

Did you only read the first two words of that definition? Both of those questions are answered in the very same sentence.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why does John carpenter put his name in the title of all his movies and why is he the only director who does this?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Why does John carpenter put his name in the title of all his movies and why is he the only director who does this?

He doesn't. He's just a successful enough director to have his name appear above the title of his films, much like Spielberg, Scorsese, etc...

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

He doesn't. He's just a successful enough director to have his name appear above the title of his films, much like Spielberg, Scorsese, etc...

This isn't quite right. Carpenter's movies are often titled as 'John Carpenter's...'. The main titles of Halloween are listed as 'John Carpenter's Halloween', same thing with 'The Fog' I thought it was actually a contractual thing that he stipulated his name goes upfront.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

DrVenkman posted:

This isn't quite right. Carpenter's movies are often titled as 'John Carpenter's...'. The main titles of Halloween are listed as 'John Carpenter's Halloween', same thing with 'The Fog' I thought it was actually a contractual thing that he stipulated his name goes upfront.

Yeah, it's in almost all of his movies.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 26, 2015

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Yeah, but in the cases of "The Fog", "The Thing", "Vampires", Halloween" and "They Live" the argument could be made that those are really generic titles and throwing the Writer/Director/Producer's name in front could help distinguish it from someone else's movie. I don't know if anything could stop Asylum from making a completely unrelated "The Thing" movie for example.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Yeah, but in the cases of "The Fog", "The Thing", "Vampires", Halloween" and "They Live" the argument could be made that those are really generic titles and throwing the Writer/Director/Producer's name in front could help distinguish it from someone else's movie. I don't know if anything could stop Asylum from making a completely unrelated "The Thing" movie for example.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Does anyone know why 10 films won the Palme d'Or in 1946? I know that the festival was just getting established and no one probably knew it was going to be the massive event it is today, but was it just a massive tie or did they have some sort of different voting system in place?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I have no idea but I really like to imagine it was via some kind of farcical door-slamming letter-mishandling fuckup.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

TrixRabbi posted:

Does anyone know why 10 films won the Palme d'Or in 1946? I know that the festival was just getting established and no one probably knew it was going to be the massive event it is today, but was it just a massive tie or did they have some sort of different voting system in place?

I have not found a specific citation or anything from the jury or festival, but it seems that the inaugural festival was leaning heavily on the internationalism of it all, so every country that submitted a film got a grand prize.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Your Gay Uncle posted:

John Carpenter is just a really badass name.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

Fair enough.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
John Carpenter wrote and directed his movies and not too many people did that so that is a good reason to do it that way and why it's kind of rare. As to why he does it and others like Tarantino or Woody Allen don't probably comes down to personal preference. Blake Edwards also did it so Carpenter wasn't the only one to do it.

edit: although Carpenter didn't write the Thing and I think that was the first one where he was credited like that so maybe not.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 26, 2015

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Bram Stoker did it too with that Dracula movie he made

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

Bram Stoker did it too with that Dracula movie he made

I have a theory that all movies based on books that have the name of the Author in them are garbage. It hold's for Bram Stoker's Dracula, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein , and "Stephen King's The Shining". That's good enough for me.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Snak posted:

Certainly a lot more badass than Tyler Perry.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Snak posted:

I have a theory that all movies based on books that have the name of the Author in them are garbage. It hold's for Bram Stoker's Dracula, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein , and "Stephen King's The Shining". That's good enough for me.

Look at this wrong guy being wrong.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Defend Stephen King's Shining at your own peril, dude.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet. Disproven.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm not sure which movie you're saying I'm wrong about, but I'm prepared to be entertained by your argument.

edit:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet. Disproven.
Apparently it is called that, although I had never seen it marketed as such.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

User-Friendly posted:

Did you only read the first two words of that definition? Both of those questions are answered in the very same sentence.

Yeah, but none of it makes sense. Film buffs get angry at seeing a French car chase and voice their anger by saying "Fruit Cart!"? Right....

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Snak posted:

I'm not sure which movie you're saying I'm wrong about, but I'm prepared to be entertained by your argument.

My opinion is you're wrong.

I've telephoned your parents and they've expressed their lifelong disappointment in your movie choices, and they're overnighting me a care-package of brownies as we speak.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
There's a shot in Birdman in one of the dressing rooms where the camera moves into the room and you can't see the cameraman's reflection in the mirror, even though he should be visible given the angle. How do they do that, hide him? Mirror tricks? CGI? Something I haven't thought of? (Not talking Birdman specifically, just in general; it was just the first example that came to mind.)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Allyn posted:

There's a shot in Birdman in one of the dressing rooms where the camera moves into the room and you can't see the cameraman's reflection in the mirror, even though he should be visible given the angle. How do they do that, hide him? Mirror tricks? CGI? Something I haven't thought of? (Not talking Birdman specifically, just in general; it was just the first example that came to mind.)

CGI

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Is that also how they did that mirror shot in Contact?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Is that also how they did that mirror shot in Contact?

That and some editing fuckery for sure.

here's the scene, it owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCTGdhXCSks&hd=1

On rewatching I just noticed that the static shot it moved to is off angle from the mirror.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Snak posted:

I'm not the one that responded to you but I felt like Bram Stoker's Dracula was very well done and has held up pretty well. Apart from Keanu, the acting is strong. The visual effects are amazing at times, especially when you consider how they were achieved, and provide such an unsettling atmosphere that works very well in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Sand Monster posted:

I'm not the one that responded to you but I felt like Bram Stoker's Dracula was very well done and has held up pretty well. Apart from Keanu, the acting is strong. The visual effects are amazing at times, especially when you consider how they were achieved, and provide such an unsettling atmosphere that works very well in the movie.

It's a shame that it's kind of a bad movie, but the look of it is amazing. Coppola throws everything at it and it has a verve of a much more youthful director. But it just doesn't hold together all that well.