Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
yeah phantom i have a friend who has a very long term girlfriend getting her MD at BU and he's a student with me at columbia. him having gone to bc or bu would have been catastrophic. they manage just fine.

don't sacrifice your long term financial future because of a desire to avoid a short term inconvenience. also dont go to law school at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

out of curiosity, have any of the non-HLS admitted student weekends talked up a huge employment spike for the 2011 2L summer? HLS had some interesting data on just how bad 2L hiring became from 07-10, but they didn't have actual data for 2011 2L employment, aside from claims of a potential 30%~ increase from 2011. I'm wondering if there's any actual validity to these claims, if it's HYS-only, or if there's a real, discernible T14 market recovery.

Anecdotally, a 30% improvement in EIP hiring for the Class of 2012 as compared to the class of 2011 would not surprise me. What did they claim the percentage of 2011 students receiving jobs from EIP to be?

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

nm posted:

The cop thread got closed, so I'm posting here. Goddammit, they may not be able to fund my position next year, but the cops get night vision goggles?

DHS grant, I bet. Federal use-it-or-loose it money.

Same reason you see podunk departments running around with AR-15's and drones.

IANAL
Apr 18, 2008

FUSC

Feces Starship posted:

also dont go to law school at all.

Starting median salary in Chicago area is below poverty line with average loan loads (approx 60-80k)! I wish I could undo all the damage to my soul from this legal economy.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Met entris.

Did not let him meet my female Korean friend.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

HiddenReplaced posted:

Met entris.

I talked to Roger_Mudd on the phone. He's a lovely man and he could meet my korean friends.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HiddenReplaced posted:

Met entris.

I ended up skipping my lecture in favor of an impromptu study session with one of my study partners. I'd already missed the first twenty minutes, so you know, that lecture was basically over anyway.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
It's hard to believe that in less than a month this whole law school thing will be over. And three years later, somehow I'm still sort of on the path I had hoped and planned to be on.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

qwertyman posted:

It's hard to believe that in less than a month this whole law school thing will be over. And three years later, somehow I'm still sort of on the path I had hoped and planned to be on.

Well if you hope and plan to be a destitute pauper with little to no job prospects, then I guess law school is a good choice. If I had to do it again, I'd've been a crazy homeless alcoholic. No debt if you're a crazy homeless alcoholic, and you don't have to hide your drinkin'. Win-win.

omgwtfnoway
Aug 22, 2004

Uhhh.... little help here, please?

drat Phantom posted:

The Loyola Patent Law Interview Program opened up its bidding system on Symplicity on Monday. Any previous attendees have any tips on the bidding process? Is there any source online with the typical GPA ranges these different firms look for? Is it worthwhile to draft cover letters for each position even though most postings don't ask for it?

Are you a 1L? Already passed the patent bar?

I had a friend who didn't even put his GPA or class ranking on his resume from a school in the T50-100 and he got 8 interviews. I knew someone else who applied with top 10% class ranking from a T20 school and got a single interview. They were both 1Ls at the time and had the same technical background with equivalent work history. But the guy with 8 interviews had already passed the patent bar at the time.

When you say cover letters for each position do you mean each specific location for firms that have multiple locations? I drafted cover letters last year, but just one for each firm. It doesn't take too long and you can use that same one for different firms and future job applications. Hope that helps.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I love contracts. The conglomeration of applying rules, discerning intent, and connecting concepts while determining scope, application, and remedies just clicks with me. (Hopefully the exam won't be a total let down.)

I find it interesting and (to the extent possible) fun. Strangely (or not?) enough, I feel like it's the class where I'm most putting my English degree to work: the rule structures and frameworks are like the requisite, grammatical baseline; whereas intent, foresight, and all those other squishy concepts are like themes, motifs, and character/story arcs.

I like it.

:allears:

Is real life practice anything like a Contracts class?

Can you specialize or focus on only with contract litigation? Or is it just one type of case that you'll deal with when working on a litigation team in a corporate firm?

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER

omgwtfnoway posted:

Are you a 1L? Already passed the patent bar?

I had a friend who didn't even put his GPA or class ranking on his resume from a school in the T50-100 and he got 8 interviews. I knew someone else who applied with top 10% class ranking from a T20 school and got a single interview. They were both 1Ls at the time and had the same technical background with equivalent work history. But the guy with 8 interviews had already passed the patent bar at the time.

When you say cover letters for each position do you mean each specific location for firms that have multiple locations? I drafted cover letters last year, but just one for each firm. It doesn't take too long and you can use that same one for different firms and future job applications. Hope that helps.

1L, didn't sit for the patent bar yet. My cumulative GPA for undergrad is a sub 3, for my major in CS it's 3.15. I got dinged for a 1L SA interview because some of my grades in my aborted engineering major weren't too hot and they are painfully visible on my official transcript. I also don't have any work experience beyond two summers as a software engineering intern.

I talked with a previous hiring partner at a Silicon Valley IP firm who looked over my application, and he recommended that I either apply for patent prosecution positions at lower tier firms with lower GPA cutoffs (don't even know how the hell to figure this one out since nobody publishes this) or try to apply for IP litigation positions. My inclination right now is to look for any jobs, IP-related or not, that don't look at my undergrad transcript.

When I say cover letters, I meant writing something directed at each firm talking about how I am a *~good fit~* for their firm based on reading their firm website. Since most firms don't seem to break down their listing at PLIP by practice, the cover letter would be more or less the same for different offices within the same firm.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

I talked to Roger_Mudd on the phone. He's a lovely man and he could meet my korean friends.

Captain Scraps is a gentleman, if I had any Korean friends he would be welcome to them!

Beautiful Flower
Apr 9, 2007

Peter Gabriel's solo stuff is pretty ok imho

Green Crayons posted:

I love contracts. The conglomeration of applying rules, discerning intent, and connecting concepts while determining scope, application, and remedies just clicks with me. (Hopefully the exam won't be a total let down.)

I find it interesting and (to the extent possible) fun. Strangely (or not?) enough, I feel like it's the class where I'm most putting my English degree to work: the rule structures and frameworks are like the requisite, grammatical baseline; whereas intent, foresight, and all those other squishy concepts are like themes, motifs, and character/story arcs.

I like it.

Can you specialize or focus on only with contract litigation? Or is it just one type of case that you'll deal with when working on a litigation team in a corporate firm?

in real life you do document review and you regret not killing yourself

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Green Crayons posted:

I like it.

Real life means every company on the planet has the same boilerplate contract. I just dealt with a contract where one paragraph was 1.5 pages long of single-spaced 10 point font that I swear included every single legal theory on the planet - including Coast Guard criminal tribunal liability - and said that the signor of this contract agreed not to sue under any legal theory for any reason. Then the next paragraph said that if the signor did sue, he agreed to pay all legal fees, all judgments against all parties, and all interest, even if he won. Then he agreed that if he did win any lawsuit, he agreed to pay back all profits he obtained as the result of the contract.

The contract held up.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

drat Phantom posted:

1L, didn't sit for the patent bar yet. My cumulative GPA for undergrad is a sub 3, for my major in CS it's 3.15. I got dinged for a 1L SA interview because some of my grades in my aborted engineering major weren't too hot and they are painfully visible on my official transcript. I also don't have any work experience beyond two summers as a software engineering intern.

I talked with a previous hiring partner at a Silicon Valley IP firm who looked over my application, and he recommended that I either apply for patent prosecution positions at lower tier firms with lower GPA cutoffs (don't even know how the hell to figure this one out since nobody publishes this) or try to apply for IP litigation positions. My inclination right now is to look for any jobs, IP-related or not, that don't look at my undergrad transcript.

I don't have much to offer on the Loyola program, but I can give you some perspective as a fellow CS major who had a sub-3.0 GPA outside of his major and barely over 3.0 within.

I was able to land a job as a patent prosecutor, but it was not easy. Not all firms will request your undergrad transcript, but many will. You will be asked about it during interviews. You will get dinged because of it. Even if you do not put it on your resume, you will get the interview and then be asked to provide the transcript. In my experience, general practice firms that happened to have IP departments tended to care less about my undergrad grades than the mid-sized IP boutiques. It has something to do with maintaining their "All of our attorneys are scientists and engineers" cred.

My law school GPA was somewhere around the top 30/40% from a lower T2 school, and this was right about the time the legal market went to poo poo (Mid 2008). Despite all of these negatives, I was still able to land a job that will enable me to pay off my student loans without using IBR. As someone with a CS/EE background, you are in a better position than many, not that that's saying much.

In the end, I got hired at a small (10 attorneys or so) patent prosecution firm that didn't care about my undergrad grades (or even that I hadn't yet taken the patent bar) - it was more important to them that I had worked as a software engineer during my 4 years of law school (evening program) and could thus talk the tech with inventors. I gained experience there, and was able to parley that into a gig at a larger firm that was desperate for EE/CS types with a couple years of experience. During my interview at the larger firm, they told me flat out that if I had been entry level, my low undergrad GPA would have been a deal breaker, but the couple years of experience I had trumped that.

You likely go to a better law school than I did (God help you if you're not), and you have the capability to pass the patent bar before you graduate. If you want to go into patent prosecution, your undergrad GPA will be an albatross around your neck, but focus on what you can control. You will need to do well enough in law school that it overshadows your undergrad GPA. Get your registration number and any kind of patent experience you can. If your law school GPA is good and you go to a decent school, you also won't even have to worry about your undergrad GPA because you can apply for non-patent jobs, where they won't care about your undergrad transcript.

Incidentally, my firm is still hiring if any EE/CS prosecution types with a couple years of experience are interested. 3 months in and I'm still really happy here - plus we just had a guy in my practice group leave to go in-house so that means they'll be even more desperate for someone to handle some of the workload (Full disclosure, I get a sweet referral bonus if they hire you).

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 22, 2011

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

sure, but if there's any consistency to these claims across the various schools, I'll at least be more inclined to believe them. also they were extremely forthcoming with data about how the market trouble had impacted HLS, and what this meant for 2L summer positions, and it was pretty dismal. They didn't hide the fact that everything had gone severely downhill, so I at least give them some benefit of the doubt. It's not like Cooley claiming 95% employment or whatever.

I don't know if Boalt is +30% (I doubt it) but we know it's up and up a fair amount.

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER

NJ Deac posted:

I don't have much to offer on the Loyola program, but I can give you some perspective as a fellow CS major who had a sub-3.0 GPA outside of his major and barely over 3.0 within.

Thanks for all the insight. Sent you a PM as I didn't want to flood the thread with patent prosecution chat.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

NJ Deac posted:

Incidentally, my firm is still hiring if any EE/CS prosecution types with a couple years of experience are interested. 3 months in and I'm still really happy here - plus we just had a guy in my practice group leave to go in-house so that means they'll be even more desperate for someone to handle some of the workload (Full disclosure, I get a sweet referral bonus if they hire you).

Location? Jersey?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

qwertyman posted:

I remember when you left for law school!

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Looks like I get to move to New Orleans full time to work on the oil spill MDL.

Now instead of dying alone I will die in a room with thirty other doc review attorneys.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

qwertyman posted:

Congratulations! I will proudly help carry the NYU torch in these threads.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Elotana posted:

Looks like I get to move to New Orleans full time to work on the oil spill MDL.

Now instead of dying alone I will die in a room with thirty other doc review attorneys.

You working P or D?

Green Crayons posted:

Law practice:law school as playing monopoly:arguing over whether money should be placed in the free parking square without ever having played the game.

Real answer: Drafting or Dec actions?

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 22, 2011

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

CaptainScraps posted:

Law practice:law school as playing monopoly:arguing over whether money should be placed in the free parking square without ever having played the game.

It shouldn't be, for the record.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Direwolf posted:

It shouldn't be, for the record.

It should be for social justice purposes.

However, for true economic efficiency, all chance, community chest, tax, and go to jail squares should be removed from the board.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Green Crayons posted:

If you do any kind of transactional law, you'll be responsible for drafting and negotiating the contracts. But they'll make you negotiate that contract until midnight and then turn the draft that night, so it's all prepared for the client by morning (...I just got home from work.)

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

drat Phantom posted:

Also going to drop the app on Harvard but that poo poo is an uphill battle even if I bump by GPA up to 3.9.

Some kid from my class transferred to Stanford.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

NJ Deac posted:

(Full disclosure, I get a sweet referral bonus if they hire you).

Oh good idea.

My firm is hiring as well. IP litigators, virtually all levels of experience. Business is booming. Come work for a mix of household names and crazy-assed Korean companies you've never heard of. Silicon Valley... woowoo.

I will take you to an amazing dinner and pimp out your office with part of the $10k they give me.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

KennyG posted:

Location? Jersey?

Correct - north end of the state.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

NJ Deac posted:

Interested. Just took a $40k paycut thanks to the FY11 budget deal, so I'm looking to get the gently caress out of examining.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Interested. Just took a $40k paycut thanks to the FY11 budget deal, so I'm looking to get the gently caress out of examining.

PM sent

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

mrtoodles posted:

Oh good idea.

My firm is hiring as well. IP litigators, virtually all levels of experience. Business is booming. Come work for a mix of household names and crazy-assed Korean companies you've never heard of. Silicon Valley... woowoo.

I will take you to an amazing dinner and pimp out your office with part of the $10k they give me.

We've been told by the CDO office here to bone up on IP because the local market and tech in general is heating up - I'd take your word over theirs but at least there's some consistency with what you're saying. I was going to finally take IP this fall but I just couldn't resist the next golden carrot of a clerkship so I signed up for Admin to compliment Fed Courts. Who needs a job when you got dreams?

E: btw I'm jealous your peninsula status. I'm giving serious thought to getting the gently caress out of Berkland and commuting.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 22, 2011

mutism
Feb 17, 2011
I feel terrible for the guy who wants to know if he gets to argue about contract formation in practice.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
What is the segment of the law that deals with the fallout from popped VC bubbles? Because whatever it is is going to be absolutely dominating in 12-24 months.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

sigmachiev posted:

We've been told by the CDO office here to bone up on IP because the local market and tech in general is heating up - I'd take your word over theirs but at least there's some consistency with what you're saying. I was going to finally take IP this fall but I just couldn't resist the next golden carrot of a clerkship so I signed up for Admin to compliment Fed Courts. Who needs a job when you got dreams?

E: btw I'm jealous your peninsula status. I'm giving serious thought to getting the gently caress out of Berkland and commuting.
Yeah, everyone in IP is hiring right now.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Petey posted:

What is the segment of the law that deals with the fallout from popped VC bubbles?

Probably Agent Orange litigation - but there probably aren't many Americans who shared a foxhole with them, let alone a hot tub.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Wait, what? Did that apply to everyone who does that? How does that work?

molomoloch
Jun 9, 2010

CaptainScraps posted:

Where do you want to work?

Well, I'm from California, so whether I like it or not, the laws of animal magnetism will probably draw me back at some point. I'd like to work in a big east coast city for at least some part of my career.

I've never lived in the Midwest nor would I consider practicing law there (except in Chicago).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mrtoodles posted:

Oh good idea.

You guys need more public defenders?
I have a history degree. . . .
(I did code a content management system by hand back in the day though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I found this on a blog called "The Mechanical Turk Diaries". Which one of you posted it?

quote:

I entered law school because I had no idea what else to do with my liberal arts background. To my surprise, I developed a passion for public interest law; to my dismay, that area of the law is not particularly lucrative. Having attended college on a scholarship, I was ill-prepared for the penny-pinching that would mark my law school tenure and, in all likelihood, my future career. By May of next year I will be $120,000 in debt, and I expect to pull down between $40k and $50k a year.

Fortunately, perhaps, I have no social life, and I live in a boring town with little to do but stay inside and read Wikipedia articles about 19th-century architects. So what’s a law student with a flexible schedule and limited budget to do but join Mechanical Turk? The money I’ve made so far is enough to pay for some pre-interview dry cleaning, if nothing else. And I have learned a great deal about areas previously unknown to me, like baby clothes sold on Amazon and the major publishers of fancy postcards. Now if only I could find a way to integrate “Experienced Mechanical Turk user” into my CV I entered law school because I had no idea what else to do with my liberal arts background.

To my surprise, I developed a passion for public interest law; to my dismay, that area of the law is not particularly lucrative. Having attended college on a scholarship, I was ill-prepared for the penny-pinching that would mark my law school tenure and, in all likelihood, my future career. By May of next year I will be $120,000 in debt, and I expect to pull down between $40k and $50k a year. Fortunately, perhaps, I have no social life, and I live in a boring town with little to do but stay inside and read Wikipedia articles about 19th-century architects. So what’s a law student with a flexible schedule and limited budget to do but join Mechanical Turk? The money I’ve made so far is enough to pay for some pre-interview dry cleaning, if nothing else. And I have learned a great deal about areas previously unknown to me, like baby clothes sold on Amazon and the major publishers of fancy postcards. Now if only I could find a way to integrate “Experienced Mechanical Turk user” into my CV

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 22, 2011