Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CarForumPoster posted:

You will have found the first useful 3rd party recruiter ITT if you get that job lol

There are useful recruiters. I've worked with a few, they do a good job vetting the candidates, doing the groundwork, etc. I've worked with far more that were terrible but good ones are out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockback posted:

There are useful recruiters. I've worked with a few, they do a good job vetting the candidates, doing the groundwork, etc. I've worked with far more that were terrible but good ones are out there.

Realtors and 3rd party recruiters must repent or be sent to the gulags.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Lockback posted:

As a hiring manager or as a candidate? I’ve been on both sides and anyone vaguely competent quickly gets promoted to working on the client side. The third party recruiters out there doing the actual cold-contacts with potential candidates are the bottom of the industry.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dik Hz posted:

As a hiring manager or as a candidate? I’ve been on both sides and anyone vaguely competent quickly gets promoted to working on the client side. The third party recruiters out there doing the actual cold-contacts with potential candidates are the bottom of the industry.

As a manager. The one I use on occasion now has relationships with some of the local universities and bootcamps and have done a good job running the filter (though they've also done well with experienced candidates too). My main contact is a part owner so I imagine he makes more doing what he's doing vs going in house somewhere.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I have a riff on the "when/how often do I follow up?" question.

I interviewed for a position in a state government the week of 7/5. I believe it was a final round interview, with the person who would be my boss, and I think I'm a strong contender.

I asked about next steps, and she said "we should be having some decisions made and I should be able to reach out to you with updates next week", which was the week of the 11th. I didn't hear anything that week, and waited another full week as a buffer, and emailed the person who would be my boss on 7/22 with a professional and polite "Hello! I'm still very interested in the position, looking to follow up and see if there's any updates or any additional information I can provide, thanks!".

I did not get a response.

Should I email again, now that it is one week after THAT email, or given that this is government, should I just assume that poo poo Is Real Wild And Crazy and not try to push it too much?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

SgtScruffy posted:

I have a riff on the "when/how often do I follow up?" question.

I interviewed for a position in a state government the week of 7/5. I believe it was a final round interview, with the person who would be my boss, and I think I'm a strong contender.

I asked about next steps, and she said "we should be having some decisions made and I should be able to reach out to you with updates next week", which was the week of the 11th. I didn't hear anything that week, and waited another full week as a buffer, and emailed the person who would be my boss on 7/22 with a professional and polite "Hello! I'm still very interested in the position, looking to follow up and see if there's any updates or any additional information I can provide, thanks!".

I did not get a response.

Should I email again, now that it is one week after THAT email, or given that this is government, should I just assume that poo poo Is Real Wild And Crazy and not try to push it too much?

Don't e-mail again. You'll come across as pushy and naive. That's bad.

They haven't forgot about you. It's likely a decision maker somewhere in the chain is out on vacation, or the job got cut, or they already hired someone else. There's no situation in which e-mailing them will help. Sorry they suck.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dik Hz posted:

Don't e-mail again. You'll come across as pushy and naive.

This.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Operate under the impression you did not get the job.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Lockback posted:

Yeah, that’s unfortunately where I am, but holding out hope.

Thanks all, I’ll let it be.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

Just got a job offer for a position that pays as well as my old one, starting in two weeks. Big thanks to this thread, the advice here helped me and my non-goon friend both get jobs after our layoff and it's been a huge help. I hope it'll also give me the courage to change jobs/positions more often, since the process is much less intimidating to me now.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Scatsby posted:

Just got a job offer for a position that pays as well as my old one, starting in two weeks. Big thanks to this thread, the advice here helped me and my non-goon friend both get jobs after our layoff and it's been a huge help. I hope it'll also give me the courage to change jobs/positions more often, since the process is much less intimidating to me now.

Nice! Congrats!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Today is so stressful that I do not know where to begin.

I am supposed to give my resignation today and I was told to wait until 4pm.

Also, the recruiter convinced me leaving earlier than later made more sense. Like sticking around u til 9/15 is a long time and he convinced me to leave at 8/12 instead. And I realized this was better and that I would benefit immensely. Well, thing is that, even though I never gave a start date, the job was expecting later than sooner and now I am worried I messed things up and made myself look bad. They are confirming now that they can do 8/22. And I am so worried that this is going to have me start on a bad foot. Or I might need to delay the resignation and part of why I wanted to leave was to just get this resignation over with so I can stop feeling this pit in my gut about resigning.

I know this is all illogical but I am so nervous. Sorry. Just venting.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Covok posted:

Also, the recruiter convinced me leaving earlier than later made more sense. Like sticking around u til 9/15 is a long time and he convinced me to leave at 8/12 instead. And I realized this was better and that I would benefit immensely. Well, thing is that, even though I never gave a start date, the job was expecting later than sooner and now I am worried I messed things up and made myself look bad. They are confirming now that they can do 8/22. And I am so worried that this is going to have me start on a bad foot. Or I might need to delay the resignation and part of why I wanted to leave was to just get this resignation over with so I can stop feeling this pit in my gut about resigning.

I am confused. Why is the recruiter trying to influence your resignation date if the start date was set?

If your concerned that you will be looked down upon for not taking more than 2 weeks, don't worry about it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lockback posted:

I am confused. Why is the recruiter trying to influence your resignation date if the start date was set?

If your concerned that you will be looked down upon for not taking more than 2 weeks, don't worry about it.

Oh, so the start date wasn't set. We kind of said we were flexible. The boss preferred I started after his early September vacation.

Then the recruiter spoke to him, since its his father, and convinced him that me starting before the vacation is fine. After all, the recruiter said making me wait over a month was a lot.

The recruiter told me their phone call and I agreed so I said today that my start date being 8/22 would be perfect because that gives me a 1 week vacation. He called today because they were finalizing the written offer and wanted to put a start date.

However, the company didn't think I would take the earlier date so now they're like "wait, can IT have him set up by 8/22?" Because they thought I'd still do the 9/15 and never communicated the thought I could pick earlier up the chain to IT. So now they need to confirm before giving the written offer.

And the recruiter said to wait on giving the resignation until they confirm so I don't end up in a lurch. Thing is, I have been sick all weekend dreading the resignation and I really just want to put it and move on with my life at this point.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ah ha, I see. I mean, yeah I'd wait until they know when you can get in. Your start date is not set until it is, your resignation can't be changed.

I know this is of no help, but don't worry about the resignation. It sucks, but it's a business and career switches happen.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Covok posted:

A life spent catastrophizing is a hard life. :therapy:

Covok
May 27, 2013

CarForumPoster posted:

You have no idea.

They could do 8/22. The resignation went fine. They were extremely nice. I have no idea why I was so worried. All they said is they were sad to see me go and they were lucky to have me as long as they did and they had nothing bad to say about me.

My final day will be 8/12.
I will take a one week vacation.
I will start 8/22.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

A co-worker was hyperventilating about her exit interview because she'd never done one and I sat her down and emphasised that she didn't owe anybody poo poo, especially not emotional labor to HR and she could basically mark "C" on their lovely survey say "thanks" and never think about them again. I was going to give her the "hit da bricks" advice and tell her to just blow it off and not go if it was stressing her out but I figured that was a bridge too far for babby's first "gently caress your stupid job i don't even work here anymore" experience.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Covok posted:

I just got a verbal offer and it's even better than I thought:
  • $90,000 Base
  • Christmas bonus
  • 6 month review for further salary increase
  • 15 Paid Vacation Days
  • Health Insurance with 50% matching
  • Eligible for 401k on January 1st, 2024
  • Flexible start date

The recruiter said to call him back around 2 or 3pm to discuss how to resign properly.

That's awesome, congrats!

Still have not heard back from the job I got to the final round with. Last time I went through the process they were pretty prompt with the "Sorry, but we're going foward with someone else" within a few days of the last interview, so I don't know what gives this time.

Just gonna operate with this mindset

Lockback posted:

Think I might need to revamp my resume or start thinking outside of the box as far as stuff to apply to. I've applied to roughly 30 positions since last fall, and I've only received call backs and interviews for two. Which I don't know if that's just the par for the course for someone in a mid-level position. Debating getting IT certs and such to just jump into that career field, or looking more into some kind of coding boot camp program that offers placement or assistance once you complete the program. Just venting at this point, but I just absolutely hate my current gig now and I want out. :smithicide:

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Update on freelance recruiter - I'm scheduled for an interview with the company tomorrow. Everything is passing the sniff test so far, so we'll see if there's any curveballs in the actual interview itself.

mercantilism
Oct 22, 2012
Hey Thread,

Just moved to the PNW from Berlin, looking for work as a program manager in Seattle. After roughly 80 applications and three months, finally got a single HR screen - turns out the recruiter was from Spain. She noted that my Resume was "extremely Euro" and that that's probably been the number one reason for no callbacks (along with the whole impending Tech industry die-off). Are CVs really so different on this side of the pond? Are companies out here really this risk-averse when it comes to nonregional experience? Any ex-euro goons with interview / application advice specific to the US?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
our resume format is completely different from a euro CV if that's what you're rolling so that could be problem 1

just poast that poo poo

mercantilism
Oct 22, 2012
:justpost:

Edit: half-assed privacy bit

Think I even got the format off this thread years ago. I think maybe all the companies just want TikTok resumes now.

mercantilism fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 3, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That Resume looks fine (actually, quite good) but I think the fact that everything is from the EU means it might be getting trashed as "not local".

You might need an "Objective" section to make it clear you are in the US and legally able to be employed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the format is weird to me since it's nonlinear and confusingly organized, i'd probably use something more traditional and linear. i hate that this format splits your bullet points on to multiple lines and i agree that it is probably hurting your candidacy.

i don't know your space specifically but it seems like you should be a strong candidate for product manager type roles. other goons will know better but your actual substance probably isn't holding you back.

notes:
you are a grown rear end goon with 7 years of real jobs so take your internships off of there
i am confused by your education dates. were you concurrently getting a B.A. in Ireland and B.Sc in Germany?
you are a little inconsistent in some of the format of bullets - eg you should not use the "as a product manager xyz" format; that feels very cribbed from a true CV
was your international leadership trainee thing a rotational program for TUI? that's very unclear from your resume format
your management, business development etc skills are encapsulated in your roles; you do not need to list them with years in your skills section and in fact it is very odd to me that you do

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lockback posted:

That Resume looks fine (actually, quite good) but I think the fact that everything is from the EU means it might be getting trashed as "not local".

You might need an "Objective" section to make it clear you are in the US and legally able to be employed.

also good advice, probably one of the few cases where an objective is useful. also, write them cover letters.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not the PNW, but I can tell you that Hapag-Lloyd is opening up an office in Atlanta and they were hiring quite aggressively for all sorts of roles. The interviewing team in my case was German and interviewed me from Germany. Might be a good place to throw your CV, if you haven't already.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

mercantilism posted:

:justpost:

Edit: half-assed privacy bit

Think I even got the format off this thread years ago. I think maybe all the companies just want TikTok resumes now.
You need to put US citizen right below your name. Your resume looks like you’re only a German citizen until a small line in the second page. Nobody is reading that far or closely.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Curious if there's a recommendation for a "modern template for CV" that is designed around google docs.

Last time I did a proper re-tooling was almost a decade ago, and it was with Word (which I no longer have a working copy of) so formatting etc gets a little borked.

FWIW I'm in Québec so a US-oriented format should be fine, and I'll translate the French version by referring to provincial resources.

TYIA

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

I've been asked to prepare a short presentation for an entry level Paid Search role at an E-Commerce company on a topic of my choosing so they can see my presentation style. In all honesty, i'm kind of stuck on ideas at all. I'm thinking that I want to include figures and statistics in it, seeing as how the role will involve that. Does anyone have any advice or ideas they could possibly share?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

CptAwesome posted:

I've been asked to prepare a short presentation for an entry level Paid Search role at an E-Commerce company on a topic of my choosing so they can see my presentation style. In all honesty, i'm kind of stuck on ideas at all. I'm thinking that I want to include figures and statistics in it, seeing as how the role will involve that. Does anyone have any advice or ideas they could possibly share?

Give them a presentation on the job you're there to do and how much money you'll make them.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Give them a presentation on the job you're there to do and how much money you'll make them.

Yea this.

Hit up their website, learn about them and their target customers. Maybe get an ahrefs trial, see what theyre already doing for SEO. (IDR if ahrefs gives SEM insights)
Prob figure out their customer LTV, guess from their products or if big company check their SEC statements. Maybe you get lucky and they put out what the LTV:CAC ratio is.
Prob include some bits about the sales process, persona, funnel.
Explain how youve got a great strategy to improve their LTV:CAC ratio, prob be specific.
I'd be impressed if someone picked a specific product and understood what the conversion funnel was and how to make personas.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
The "should I wear a suit" question appears a lot ITT. Best thing to do is ask: "what does a typical [position of person hiring you] wear to work every day?" and then go one step nicer.

The video below though presents a mental framework that may inform that decision and also make you more conscious of some of the social norms you're observing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsx7YFkPMlQ

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Just a friendly reminder ot everyone to re-read your resumes again. I have finished my current job search, but when looking and tidying things up at the end, I noticed that one of my position's bullet points started with an adverb instead of a verb / action word. :eng99: I read this thing dozens of times and never noticed that and that is the #1 thing I look for when critiquing them. No idea how I overlooked it so many times.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
One of the things of applying to so many jobs, and trying to tailor each CV at least a little, is that you end up always loving something up because since you start off from a proofread template, you skimp on proofreading the modified version.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Background: brother works in mining, there is an internally posted process engineering job that I would love. Got resume together, sent to him, which went to HR, then went to a recruiter for that role.

I get this email from her:

quote:

Thanks for your interest in Imerys. You have an excellent background.

Can you please tell me what type of position you are looking for?
Target salary?
Why are you looking for a new opportunity?
Will you require relocation to or near Blargle, CA?
Are you open to relocation to other parts of the country?
Thank you!

First and last questions are easy. For target salary I want to say something like "I'd like to see what the total compensation looks like for this role" right? I don't want to gently caress this up, lol. I will require relocation there which kinda sucks. Third question is also easy, wife got a job near there and my family is all in the same place.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Target Practice posted:

Background: brother works in mining, there is an internally posted process engineering job that I would love. Got resume together, sent to him, which went to HR, then went to a recruiter for that role.

I get this email from her:

First and last questions are easy. For target salary I want to say something like "I'd like to see what the total compensation looks like for this role" right? I don't want to gently caress this up, lol. I will require relocation there which kinda sucks. Third question is also easy, wife got a job near there and my family is all in the same place.

Yea delay the salary question is usually a good move.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Hey, all. My wife is currently finishing grad school in the US and starting to shop around her CV. I've offered to rework her current version because it's honestly way too verbose and unfocused, in my opinion.

The bullet points are that she has around 9 years marketing experience in multinational corporations but always in the LATAM offices. She then quit her job for around 2 years to start her own business, which was going OK until the pandemic hit, at which point she decided to go back to grad school to try and get rehired in multinationals.

I guess I'm just wondering if you have any general tips for this kind of role/life-story. Does she add an objective section to give some color to her jump into entrepreneurship and back to corporate life? Does she focus on skills vs. experience?

She's been told by the career advisor at her school that with her experience she can afford to have a 2-page CV, but the roles she's aiming are 100k a year mid-level management, I feel like that's not special enough for to gamble on a hiring manager being willing to look at more than one sheet?

Any tips welcome.

Edit: to clarify, this is for US jobs. She's authorized to work here, which I've clarified at the top of the CV.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I know that this is coming from non-US perspective so you may be using the term interchangeably, but US employees, non-Academia edition, have resumes. These are different from CVs.

Her grad institution should have a resume workshop (assuming she's doing a MBA or similar, because that is what multinationals are looking for - if she's doing some other random poo poo this is going to be a very different experience). She should go to that and clean sheet her resume for US job market purposes.

She should have multiple versions of her resume - two at minimum - one focused on skills and one focused on experience. Pick the one that suits the job she is applying to. Emphasize working in a US-type corporate environment with US stakeholders. Does she have management experience at a MNC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the clarification. She's doing an M.A. (I know) but focused on brand management from the business perspective, and her target industry is fashion, so in theory her school and the program have enough name ID to overcome the lack of a proper MBA (let's loving hope).

Her experience is mostly "Managed budget for online and offline campaigns of over $2M, including consumer activation, lead generations and POS visual merchandising", and poo poo like that, so I don't think anyone looking at her resume is going to be worried about her being some former designer who thinks she can manage a fashion label because she did an M.A.

I'll tell her to contact the school and see if there's a resume workshop or similar.

As for management experience in a MNC, she has never formally held the role of manager, but she has led teams within the local subsidiaries of Unilever and a fairly big US company.