Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cojawfee posted:

They held together pretty well. I used to smash them together to make super ships.

I did this ALL THE TIME. As I recall, Miranda's nacelles perfectly fit into the Maquis fighters'.

Evek posted:

The Stargazer model from Picard's ready room. Yeah a model based on a model.

I'm now imagining an alternate timeline in which all Federation ships are a sickly yellow.

By the way, I have a query for the thread: Is Data golden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Data is golden. If you compare him to the white painted Borg in Q Who there is definitely a golden color to him. There were some creepy makeup tests for all sorts of colors done.

Evek fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 2, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Click to enlarge for :stonk:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Timby posted:

Click to enlarge for :stonk:

Cheap plastic doll pink Data would have been something to see for 7 seasons.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The funniest thing about Data's potential coloring is that Brent Spiner has gone on record as feeling very lucky that the gold makeup was the first one they showed to Gene, and not the bubblegum pink makeup, because Gene just walked in and said "Yup, that looks good!"

Unrelated, but I wish they had gone with the "unknown aliens made Data to study humanity" thing. Not sure why, but it seems like it would have been more interesting.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Data has some hue to him, but saying he's golden leads one to picture C3PO or something.

I mean, they are pretty much the same, only Threepio has emotions. Panic, panicker, and panickest.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Data has some hue to him, but saying he's golden leads one to picture C3PO or something.

I mean, they are pretty much the same, only Threepio has emotions. Panic, panicker, and panickest.

Data has always had emotions too, though: 1) childlike wonder 2)happiness at being accepted as almost human and 3) sad that he does not have emotions.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Data is way less flamboyant than 3P0.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Data has always had emotions too, though: 1) childlike wonder 2)happiness at being accepted as almost human and 3) sad that he does not have emotions.

:can:

I can't remember the episode but I did like when he pointed out that despite not having emotions he could still miss people because he expected their input. :3:

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Apple Jax posted:

Speaking of collections...my freaking awesome best friend went to some yard sale and they were giving away a box-o-trek books and she grabbed the ENTIRE BOX for me because they were just going to throw them out and now I have this:

I've read a ton of Trek books when I was younger (and a few now an then these days) but it looks like I'll have some work to do here.
You're just begging for the firemen to come back.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Being a robot, I don't have emotions, and sometimes that makes me really sad.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Pascallion posted:

You're just begging for the firemen to come back.

Oh gently caress me, no. Next time I'll just let the place burn down.

DoctorWhat posted:

This will always be my favorite Futurama quote.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

I know it's a Futurama quote but it's also "Data, as a character, described as simply as possible."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Apple Jax posted:

This will always be my favorite Futurama quote.

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

Or the entire Bigfoot film at the national park. Or "Turns out its man :geno:" scary door.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

My favorite Futurama moment is probably Zoidberg's monologue at the end of the Valentine's Day episode. But :zoid: is, by overwhelming degrees, the best character on the show, so that's easy.

Non-Zoidberg, I think the "Sexlexia" exchange is loving incredible comedy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hang on, you can't just hijack the Star Trek thread for Futurama posts! This thread is only for Star Trek discussion, even for those of you who hate Star Trek. Yes, Walter Koenig, that includes you! :mad:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Hang on, you can't just hijack the Star Trek thread for Futurama posts! This thread is only for Star Trek discussion, even for those of you who hate Star Trek. Yes, Walter Koenig, that includes you! :mad:

But it taught me so much. Like how you should accept people, whether they be Jamaican, mutant, robot, or even female. But most importantly, when I didn't have any friends, it made me feel like maybe I did.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
All this time we thought Bicyclops was a powerful super-being, yet he was just a child.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

All this time we thought Bicyclops was a powerful super-being, yet he was just a child.

He's not a child, he's 34!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That's enough! We're talking about Star Trek. You know, about 2400 episodes, about 30 good ones...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

That's enough! We're talking about Star Trek. You know, about 2400 episodes, about 30 good ones...

Oh please, I've watched too many TV shows to remember one particular series. But if you want to discuss my Sixth Doctor cosplay...

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

"Of all the episodes you watched me, which ones were good and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Bicyclops, they're all good."
"Even the bad ones?"
"Especially the bad ones."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh please, I've watched too many TV shows to remember one particular series. But if you want to discuss my Sixth Doctor cosplay...

Yeah, I can wear hideous quilts like they're coats, too. Get back to me when you pull off wearing celery on your lapel, noob.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah, I can wear hideous quilts like they're coats, too. Get back to me when you pull off wearing celery on your lapel, noob.

Laddie, don't you think ya should... rephrase that?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Anyway, I've just gotten to season 3 (I'm two episodes in), where people assert that Enterprise starts getting good, but so far, it just seems like they've amped up the worst parts of the show (Tucker's reactionary outbursts, T'Pol as a sex object, etc.), lost the sappy, escapist innocence that made the show bearable, and somehow managed to make the theme song even more dreadful. Hopefully it gets better, because I actually enjoyed the first two seasons much more!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Colin Baker's episodes should be hauled away as garbage :catstare:

because they are

Troughton for life

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Laddie, don't you think ya should... rephrase that?

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say your post should be hauling garbage, I meant it should be hauled away AS garbage.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

because they are

Troughton for life

No question, they're awful! Even Vengeance is scarcely bearable!

That doesn't make the coat bad. And Six is still goddamn incredible.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

because they are

Troughton for life

You just come into the Doctor Who thread and say that, Buster. :mad:

Because people will largely agree and pour you a drink. :)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

No, the coat being ugly as poo poo makes the coat bad. It's some Wesley-sweater kind of awful going on. :v:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

No, the coat being ugly as poo poo makes the coat bad. It's some Wesley-sweater kind of awful going on. :v:

something something sartorial elegance heightened aesthetic sense flibbity jibbity hopeless I can't argue this every day of my life. It's great and you're wrong.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

All British made TV is awful. They've got the fifth biggest economy but have production values of the 50th biggest. C'mon man.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The coat may be bad, but it's no bus seat material bad.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The coat may be bad, but it's no bus seat material bad.

It's honestly hard to tell which of these things would make you want to punch a person in the face more: Colin Baker's horrible crime coat, Jake Sisko's horrible crime bus seat jumpsuit or just a t-shirt that says "I love Star Trek/Doctor Who."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

It's honestly hard to tell which of these things would make you want to punch a person in the face more: Colin Baker's horrible crime coat, Jake Sisko's horrible crime bus seat jumpsuit or just a t-shirt that says "I love Star Trek/Doctor Who."

I can make the Coat work through sheer force of personality. No one can sell the bus seats.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

DoctorWhat posted:

Sash! posted:

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

Yeah. Emotions are dumb and should be hated.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

...please post photos of your Most Hideous Raiment. I thought you were joking about cosplay, but now... now I need to know.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Me? Joking? As if!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

...please post photos of your Most Hideous Raiment. I thought you were joking about cosplay, but now... now I need to know.

He already has in the Doctor Who thread. It's real. Be gentle, he spent a lot of money on it.

For reference, I think somebody could pull off the Sisko busseats jumpsuit at a club if they really had some kind of a cult of personality, but I think they'd still have trouble pulling off The Coat.

edit: Doctor What, where are the question marks? :wth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

The bus seat has the advantage of being in more DS9 episodes than Jake.

• Locked thread