Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/982322830082625536
This bodes well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

TACD posted:

The real :psyduck: is that they spent all the time and money to figure this out but then didn't make the simple logical connection that it would therefore be very profitable to invest in renewables and get ahead of the game. What was all this research for if not to get a decade of lead time on smart business decisions?

Remember when they invested in Nuclear but wanted to have all of their big oil guys walk across the street and set up the nuclear companies like oil companies and it failed because they didn't listen to the nuke guys?

That's the point they became climate deniers.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

Poor to lower middle class in the American south. Almost nobody I know with children planned for them, and they all seem to be really poor and unhappy about having them. I guess my point is lets worry about that first because its a much less controverial argument. Lets get to the point where only happy stable couples are having children. Then if the population is still rising too fast we can go from there.
I actually wanted to say "how is that at all controversial, that seems like a total non-brainer, what else should reasonable people agree on faster than that no woman should be forced to bear a child", but then I remembered 1. all of the American weirdness about birth control and 2. the last time I was probated, it was essentially because I said: that what you said right there - that everyone, including non-privileged people, should have access to birth control - is not, in fact, eugenics.

And all my friends have PhDs and I am sure many will die childless. Old, and well-off, and childless.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

DrNutt posted:

I love cats but I work locally to help companion animals and the people in need who care for them rather than fling myself across the globe in order to satisfy some selfish desire.

You are woefully naive and optimistic about what how society will weather climate change and we will never be able to offer the rest of the world the high standard of living that you or I currently enjoy barring some sort of miracle breakthrough in energy production.

E: also I'm sure my carbon footprint sucks poo poo too but I'm not going to be god drat moralized at by the guy who flew across the world multiple times to see cats.

You can literally calculate it though. We're at 6 tons per year for our household. Just a rough estimate but better than nothing.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

edit: removed post it was dumb. whole debate is dumb. talk about climate, dumbheads.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

This is bad. Talk about this.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Human larvae are worse.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ubachung posted:

Which part exactly? I stated some facts and posed a question. I didn't even state my own opinion. That's a pretty telling response though.

Life on earth goes beyond humanity, valuing human civilisation above all other life on earth is far more repugnant than anything I've written.

If I had to choose between humans and the rest of the natural world humans would be gone. Hopefully that's not an actual binary that we face.

That's insane though, the rest of the natural world wouldn't thank you for your choice because they're literally not capable of it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Relevant Tangent posted:

That's insane though, the rest of the natural world wouldn't thank you for your choice because they're literally not capable of it.
Is...is that the only reason you'd ever do something for someone else?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
For every $1 the US put into adding renewable energy last year, China put in $3

https://qz.com/1247527/for-every-1-the-us-put-into-renewable-energy-last-year-china-put-in-3/

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Is...is that the only reason you'd ever do something for someone else?

Nature isn't "someone else", and you can't do things "for nature". That post is adopting a specifically human attitude towards nature and using that to argue for an anti-human perspective. It's incoherent.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Nature suffers under humans, therefore nature should not have been born. This is my jrpg time travel plot.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So are we agreed that saying third worlders’ lives are less valuable than those of animals is super hosed up and gross?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

So are we agreed that saying third worlders’ lives are less valuable than those of animals is super hosed up and gross?
Accccctually, I think that's an unfair phrasing: ubachung seems to be a equal-opportunity misanthrope. ITT they seem to be encouraging comparatively privileged 1st worlders like you and I to abstain from procreation.

Something can be bad without being racist.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Personally I think it's pretty gross that people think that humanity should suffer no consequences or feel no shame for our utter disregard for the natural world. Sure, we've annihilated countless unrecoverable animal species and hosed up the earth so bad that we've practically guaranteed our own extinction, but it's okay, nature probably would have done it anyway at some point! And animals don't have morals so who cares if we kill them all, am I right? :iamafag:

Papal Infallibility
May 7, 2008

Stay Down Champion Stay Down

DrNutt posted:

Personally I think it's pretty gross that people think that humanity should suffer no consequences or feel no shame for our utter disregard for the natural world. Sure, we've annihilated countless unrecoverable animal species and hosed up the earth so bad that we've practically guaranteed our own extinction, but it's okay, nature probably would have done it anyway at some point! And animals don't have morals so who cares if we kill them all, am I right? :iamafag:

Literally LOL if you think anybody posting here has seen an animal other than a rat or a pigeon in the last few years. It's all abstract, I bet a lot of them don't even think animals can feel pain anyways.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Papal Infallibility posted:

Literally LOL if you think anybody posting here has seen an animal other than a rat or a pigeon in the last few years. It's all abstract, I bet a lot of them don't even think animals can feel pain anyways.

Jokes on you, I've seen several squirrels!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Thug Lessons posted:

Nature isn't "someone else", and you can't do things "for nature".
The post I responded to said it was insane because the rest of the natural world couldn't thank us for it. And the natural world is just an aggregate of a lot of someone else, who you can do things for. (And rocks and poo poo, which obviously doesn't matter for ethics.)

Thug Lessons posted:

That post is adopting a specifically human attitude towards nature and using that to argue for an anti-human perspective. It's incoherent.
Please explain how that is incoherent.

e: Is your point that animals would never sacrifice themselves for us, and the only "coherent" value system for dealing with the natural world is like the lowest common denominator for life? Or is this something about the more superior value system destroying itself in favor of more selfish ones, by destroying the species that maintains it?

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 9, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Papal Infallibility posted:

Well I mean OOCC has flown to six continents to pet cats.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

icantfindaname posted:

Sure, and we should absolutely try condoms and education for everyone before one-child policies or whatever. Can we agree that saying that the right to procreate endlessly trumps the right of any animals we can't domesticate to exist outside of a zoo is equally hosed up and gross?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

rivetz posted:

lost in the shuffle of this week's episode of Celebrity White House: This one's even worse than that Exxon one from last year

I mean, they even made a documentary about it. This movie was created by Shell in 1991:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VOWi8oVXmo

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Not "probably would have", but "already has for 99.9% of species and will inevitably do for all species". There is no justice in nature. The point isn't that there's no reason we should care about species extinction, but that any reason we come up with, (of which there are plenty, moral and practical), inevitably acknowledges a special role for humans. We're not the first species to drive others to extinction, or even (potentially) to extinct most, but we're the first to know we're doing it, or care, let alone feel guilty about it. And that, to my mind, kind of tempers any misanthropic reading.

The other option, of course, is to view humans as just another species doing whatever it does.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Thug Lessons posted:

Not "probably would have", but "already has for 99.9% of species and will inevitably do for all species". There is no justice in nature. The point isn't that there's no reason we should care about species extinction, but that any reason we come up with, (of which there are plenty, moral and practical), inevitably acknowledges a special role for humans. We're not the first species to drive others to extinction, or even (potentially) to extinct most, but we're the first to know we're doing it, or care, let alone feel guilty about it. And that, to my mind, kind of tempers any misanthropic reading.

The other option, of course, is to view humans as just another species doing whatever it does.

I think I get your point a little better, (and if I understand correctly, you don't personally feel we should be accelerating the decline of biodiversity if we can take steps to mitigate our impact) but I do think "well, everything will be extinct someday" is pretty lovely justification for not caring. I mean, taking that logic to the extreme, why care about anything? I mean, eventually nothing will exist due to entropy, so what does anything matter? Those kinds of ideas can go a long way toward justifying horrific behavior.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I see animals on the f***** time nerds

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Thug Lessons posted:

Couldn't this special role be "First life form to voluntarily end itself, in acknowledgement of the suffering it causes"?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Couldn't this special role be "First life form to voluntarily end itself, in acknowledgement of the suffering it causes"?

Or we could work to mitigate our impacts on nature? I'm not sure that annihilation is a proportionate response to suffering.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cingulate posted:

Accccctually, I think that's an unfair phrasing: ubachung seems to be a equal-opportunity misanthrope. ITT they seem to be encouraging comparatively privileged 1st worlders like you and I to abstain from procreation.

Something can be bad without being racist.

Most humans on this planet aren’t WEIRD first worlders though. It’s mathematically a fact that if you say human lives in general are not worth more than animals’, most if those human lives will be third world lives :shrug:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

Most humans on this planet aren’t WEIRD first worlders though. It’s mathematically a fact that if you say human lives in general are not worth more than animals’, most if those human lives will be third world lives :shrug:
There's still a difference between an implicit entailment and an explicit statement. When I say "I want all humans to die", and you paraphrase me as "Cingulate wants all babies to die", you are in fact being accurate; but you're still mischaracterising my position. An analogy: I ask you, can you please bring me a sandwich? You go and buy a piece of ham and throw it at me. "A sandwich contains ham, thus you said 'bring ham to me', which I just did!" You're factually correct, but language doesn't actually work the way fishmech talks. If your response to me asking you for a sandwich is to throw ham at me, you're a madman.

In sum, while it is not factually false to say ubachung wants African babies to starve, it is not a fair characterisation of their position.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cingulate posted:

There's still a difference between an implicit entailment and an explicit statement. When I say "I want all humans to die", and you paraphrase me as "Cingulate wants all babies to die", you are in fact being accurate; but you're still mischaracterising my position. An analogy: I ask you, can you please bring me a sandwich? You go and buy a piece of ham and throw it at me. "A sandwich contains ham, thus you said 'bring ham to me', which I just did!" You're factually correct, but language doesn't actually work the way fishmech talks. If your response to me asking you for a sandwich is to throw ham at me, you're a madman.

In sum, while it is not factually false to say ubachung wants African babies to starve, it is not a fair characterisation of their position.

It’s a fairly obvious first order consequence of what he said, IMO it’s reasonable to expect peope to think through the consequences of their statements one step forward

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Fly Molo posted:

Or we could work to mitigate our impacts on nature? I'm not sure that annihilation is a proportionate response to suffering.
I'm trying to figure out the whole logical argument of the position being incoherent, not whether it's necessarily right.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

DrNutt posted:

I think I get your point a little better, (and if I understand correctly, you don't personally feel we should be accelerating the decline of biodiversity if we can take steps to mitigate our impact) but I do think "well, everything will be extinct someday" is pretty lovely justification for not caring. I mean, taking that logic to the extreme, why care about anything? I mean, eventually nothing will exist due to entropy, so what does anything matter? Those kinds of ideas can go a long way toward justifying horrific behavior.

Sure, I agree. And in even the most cold-hearted analysis you'd still want to conserve as much biodiversity as possible for purely selfish reasons. The point is that looking to nature for any sort of justice is useless, because it doesn't have any. You don't even need to look at extinction for this. How about lynx and snowshoe hare population cycles, regulated by a strict law of carrying capacity and producing a cycle of population booms and die-offs? Human conceptions of justice are alien to nature. By pitting human interests against nature, especially when cast in apocalyptic terms of the survival of humanity versus the survival of the natural world, you're only projecting a naive, good vs. evil narrative onto an impossibly complex problem: how should humans relate to the living world around them and what moral standards should apply?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Honestly, if your platform is "voluntary human extinction", the obvious response is "you first". We don't need to get too philosophical to forget about that one.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The argument is "voluntary reduction in human population to a level which is possible to support without industrial civilization is necessary in order to accommodate the timely drawdown of said civilization. Alternatively, attempt to continue said civilization, and run the apparently rather high risk of causing a mass extinction that could include us."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Thug Lessons posted:

Honestly, if your platform is "voluntary human extinction", the obvious response is "you first". We don't need to get too philosophical to forget about that one.
Okay, so you don't actually have an argument for calling the original post incoherent, you just liked the way it sounded.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Car Hater posted:

The argument is "voluntary reduction in human population to a level which is possible to support without industrial civilization is necessary in order to accommodate the timely drawdown of said civilization. Alternatively, attempt to continue said civilization, and run the apparently rather high risk of causing a mass extinction that could include us."

I mean, the argument I responded to was literally "if the choice is between the survival of humans or the natural world, I choose the natural world". You guys are over there having an argument about anti-natalism that I'm way too high-level to care about.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Okay, so you don't actually have an argument for calling the original post incoherent, you just liked the way it sounded.

I don't need an argument for calling it incoherent when it's manifestly abhorrent. It's incoherent if you formulate it in a way that isn't.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Thug Lessons posted:

I mean, the argument I responded to was literally "if the choice is between the survival of humans or the natural world, I choose the natural world". You guys are over there having an argument about anti-natalism that I'm way too high-level to care about.

Why respond then? There is no choice; there are no humans on an Earth with a collapsed biosphere.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Car Hater posted:

What do you mean by "without industrial civilization"? Are you giving up electricty? Also, we're already in a mass extinction so the ship has sailed on that one.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Car Hater posted:

Why respond then? There is no choice; there are no humans on an Earth with a collapsed biosphere.

I doubt it. I'm with Peter Ward:

quote:

My sense of it is, with our technology, we’re just too good, we can engineer and keep some part of us alive on Earth. The only way out of it would be a wholesale nuclear exchange. But barring that, a greenhouse world won’t kill us all off. If worse comes to worst, we’ll have gas masks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

It’s a fairly obvious first order consequence of what he said, IMO it’s reasonable to expect peope to think through the consequences of their statements one step forward
That's just a totally disingenuous mischaracterisation of ubachung's intent, for no meaningful purpose at all. It's just pointless antagonisation. As if you need to add "racism" to the charge of "wouldn't mind if literally everyone died".

Also it's not how language works.