Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lmao if you don't have Paul Wall bumping while you grip your custom wood grain Xbox controller

I'm thinking a montage set to Get Low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
with the ghost ghost, does the sheet stick to one of the pieces when you die?

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
So I'm not the best pvper, but I can hold my own; normally achieving top of the ranks, or at least having a solidly positive K/D. However,it seems since last reset, I've been getting mudstomped into the ground in crucible matches. I dunno if I just got put in a higher bracket and just need to git gud(r) or it could be the fact that I've been queuing solo since my buddies weren't available.

It's pretty frustrating, also, I need to get better at Trials, besides elimination how do I just get better. =/

To stay on topic: That dumb broom sparrow is awesome.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lol after not playing crucible for a long time I ventured in today.

PvP in this game is a loving joke, all bad trades and terrible connections. Amazing what some time off does in terms of seeing this garbage for what it is.

Edit: not to say that it isn't fun, but it's incompatible with any sort of seriously competitive mentality or game mode.

Pozload Escobar fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 25, 2016

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Stay woke.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Cowboybot posted:

So I'm not the best pvper, but I can hold my own; normally achieving top of the ranks, or at least having a solidly positive K/D. However,it seems since last reset, I've been getting mudstomped into the ground in crucible matches. I dunno if I just got put in a higher bracket and just need to git gud(r) or it could be the fact that I've been queuing solo since my buddies weren't available.

It's pretty frustrating, also, I need to get better at Trials, besides elimination how do I just get better. =/

To stay on topic: That dumb broom sparrow is awesome.

You were probably never good, Bungies SBMM just protected you from having to play good players and their refusal to produce a ranking system in game kept you in the dark about it.

My guess is your buddies are pretty bad. If you were playing with your buddies and getting top of the scoreboard then by solo queing the game assumes you're better then you are based on those top of scoreboard games. You'll likely get wrecked a bunch solo and then dip down back to manageable games in short order (10 marches or so). Scoreboard position is the overwhelmingly primary factor in determining what players you'll face.

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

You were probably never good, Bungies SBMM just protected you from having to play good players and their refusal to produce a ranking system in game kept you in the dark about it.

My guess is your buddies are pretty bad. If you were playing with your buddies and getting top of the scoreboard then by solo queing the game assumes you're better then you are based on those top of scoreboard games. You'll likely get wrecked a bunch solo and then dip down back to manageable games in short order (10 marches or so). Scoreboard position is the overwhelmingly primary factor in determining what players you'll face.

That is pretty loving maddening to not be aware of your actual capability and actually get playable close matches. How close to actual skill is Guardian.gg? Is that a good indicator of actual matchups vs. the skill I'm at? Too many drat questions, and it seems the only answer is "Play More"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cowboybot posted:

That is pretty loving maddening to not be aware of your actual capability and actually get playable close matches. How close to actual skill is Guardian.gg? Is that a good indicator of actual matchups vs. the skill I'm at? Too many drat questions, and it seems the only answer is "Play More"

It's pretty accurate in tracking the way you normally play the game. If you play with the same bros every single night the system will give you roughly the same level of competition every night.

It's once you break pattern that problems show up.. like you hook up with some high-elo goon for an evening and are suddenly in a bracket you have no business being in, or you solo queue some games you'll find the quality of competition changes.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Elo is only ever a ballpark. Ex: me and my buddy are both about the same skill in 6s. He plays a bit more and rolls with fireteams a lot, so he's always been about 200 pts higher in control elo.

You gotta play a ton in a single playlist to really get an accurate reading and even then ELO has issues in things that aren't inherently 1v1

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
God dammit I had a bunch of raisins from last year and I did some vault cleaning when I got ROI and deleted them all because I was like, "they'll never do anything with this stupid joke item."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DrNutt posted:

God dammit I had a bunch of raisins from last year and I did some vault cleaning when I got ROI and deleted them all because I was like, "they'll never do anything with this stupid joke item."

Eris still hands out raisins. You just have to pay 25 motes to make them ascendant.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Keep in mind that Elo is not something published by Bungie as far as I know, it's being calculated by the sites themselves based on your history and Bungie's internal algorithm may be different, there are a lot of variants on Elo-type ranking by now.

(I don't know this for sure but there doesn't seem to be anything about skill ratings from what I've looked at in the bungie.net API.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, Bungie keeps their ranking close to the chest. They learned their lesson with Halo.

Then graduated to making other mistakes, but hey, life is just a series of mistakes.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

haveblue posted:

Keep in mind that Elo is not something published by Bungie as far as I know, it's being calculated by the sites themselves based on your history and Bungie's internal algorithm may be different, there are a lot of variants on Elo-type ranking by now.

(I don't know this for sure but there doesn't seem to be anything about skill ratings from what I've looked at in the bungie.net API.)

Bungie keeps their ranking system to themselves. Stuff like Elo is unique to the site calculating it (GG vs DTR for example). You need to play a ton of a single playlist and only reference one tracker to gauge your relative skill.

That being said bungie will regularly dick with the matchmaking behind the scenes and even change things without notification. Like, I played Control all through year 1 and 2. Started probably just shy of g.gg 1500 elo through all of it. Now? I can barely crack 1100 and struggle to even go positive. They are the sweatiest matches I've ever played. On the other hand, I struggled with Clash the first two years and now I'm breezing my way past 1500 and rarely have games under a 1.5 KDR.

Basically, the only way to have fun is to never solo queue and make sure you grab a casual buddy to play with so it muddies up the average skill of the players in the lobby. And I'm a pretty decent player. I know the maps, I'm not spacially challenged and have no problem quick scoping someone out of a bad decision.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 25, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best part is Bungie will dick with your ranking and insist for a week that nothing changed. Then eventually they're all "oopsie yeah we did push out an update, sorry dudes" and everyone eyerolls once more and buys a new emote from eververse.

I guess development and production environments is not a concept they've studied much.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
The only way to bad juju ornaments through silver boxes?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Moochewmoo posted:

The only way to bad juju ornaments through silver boxes?

For now. Once halloween is over they get added to the general ornament pool.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
in case anyone was looking forward to the ghost ghost, don't worry: it doesn't work. it displays in-game as a normal ghost

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DeeJ tweeted the ghost ghost will be fixed after the intern finishes moving his bush.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
When I moved rasheeds mom's bush last night I was pretty sure I saw a ghost come out

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

When I moved rasheeds mom's bush last night I was pretty sure I saw a ghost come out

:drat:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
but I thought Bungie shut down the loot cave

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

:golfclap:

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lol after not playing crucible for a long time I ventured in today.

PvP in this game is a loving joke, all bad trades and terrible connections. Amazing what some time off does in terms of seeing this garbage for what it is.

Edit: not to say that it isn't fun, but it's incompatible with any sort of seriously competitive mentality or game mode.

Yeah the lack of custom games at launch, any serious stat tracking or skill level or attention to matchmaking balance probably would have told you this from the get go rather than you wasting thousands of hours of your life to reach the same conclusion that was already extraordinarily evident from release. Good job though buddy

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
So been working on getting the full ugly as sin stellar impact set and of course the legs drop while I have the dopey as gently caress cryptarch mask on. 330 light.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Bob NewSCART posted:

Yeah the lack of custom games at launch, any serious stat tracking or skill level or attention to matchmaking balance probably would have told you this from the get go rather than you wasting thousands of hours of your life to reach the same conclusion that was already extraordinarily evident from release. Good job though buddy

I didn't have to take it seriously before Dec 2015 when they flipped on the strict SBMM, and by then I'd invested a lot of time and collected a pretty sick friends list centered around the game. It was the first console shooter I'd ever played PvP in beyond the "let's check it out" level and it was fun.

After that I had to either take crucible seriously ever match or get poo poo on every match because there's no room for error when the game is consistently unbalanced as it has been.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Danger posted:

So been working on getting the full ugly as sin stellar impact set and of course the legs drop while I have the dopey as gently caress cryptarch mask on. 330 light.

Game seriously needs cosmetic slots and/or the ability to give drops based on your highest recorded light level.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

haveblue posted:

One of the Bungie guys said recently (can't find the tweet/post/whatever it was) that they don't track Elo at all. This is a number that individual sites calculate. DTR and Guardian.gg also appear to calculate it differently.

Bungie tracks some representation of your skill they refer to as "combat rating", but they haven't talked about how that measurement works.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Wait the special sheet ghost is bugged and doesn't have the sheet? Lmao

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Mikey-San posted:

One of the Bungie guys said recently (can't find the tweet/post/whatever it was) that they don't track Elo at all. This is a number that individual sites calculate. DTR and Guardian.gg also appear to calculate it differently.

Bungie tracks some representation of your skill they refer to as "combat rating", but they haven't talked about how that measurement works.

Some stat guy did a bunch of analysis and broke it down over at crucible playbook. Long story short it's basically your scoreboard position. Finish top 3 enough you're getting harder dudes. Finish bottom 3 and you're getting softer dudes.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Anyone ever get a gun that just won't infuse into anything else? I got a 399 hereafter from an engram but it won't let me use it to infuse anything

No it's not locked.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i just watched a man spend $200 trying to get an int/dis ghost ghost

he did not get it. only got 1 of each ghost

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Awesome! posted:

*Kicks a huge pile of money into a pit*

"This....is.....DESTINY!!!"

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Awesome! posted:

This just makes me feel good and right about all my decisions.

Deviled Ghost, you're all I need :love:

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Wait the special sheet ghost is bugged and doesn't have the sheet? Lmao

idk. (not mine)

bushwookie19
Apr 2, 2015

at least I got the kill and ended the round. You didn't have the embarrassment of blowing yourself up with a rocket like uber.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Awesome! posted:

Lmfao

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
What was the name of the man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RNG for normal game play is bad enough, but RNG behind a paywall is loving evil.

• Locked thread