Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You're in Korea, so, no.

Fake edit: If you have some time in Seoul, go to the War Museum. It's really excellent.
I am at incheon station on some city tour bus. I have another 3 hours before I have to make my way back to the airport with a nice safe margin unless I get on a black taxi for the thrills.

There are war memorials everywhere so I am bound to hit one even if I was blind. You you have to be a little bit more specific about which "War" thing it is as google gives a pretty extensive list. But next time should I layover here again.

The airport is a lot easier to deal with in the morning and having a battery bank is great as it lets you use your phone without break.

I also rented this mobile wifi gadget f I'm LG I had missed the first time I was here as they call it renting a phone instead of a personal wifi hotspot.

Edit: I might as well ride a black taxi again as I am likely going to have money to burn as bring it back isn't much fun.

oohhboy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oohhboy posted:

I also rented this mobile wifi gadget f I'm LG I had missed the first time I was here as they call it renting a phone instead of a personal wifi hotspot.

Did you reserve it or just pick one up at the airport kiosk? How much are you paying for it? Im visiting korea next month and I need my internet to translate and navigate

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

oohhboy posted:

There are war memorials everywhere so I am bound to hit one even if I was blind. You you have to be a little bit more specific about which "War" thing it is as google gives a pretty extensive list. But next time should I layover here again.

You're welcome for the tip. Here's another one: "memorial" and "museum" are different words. :downs:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fauxtool posted:

Did you reserve it or just pick one up at the airport kiosk? How much are you paying for it? Im visiting korea next month and I need my internet to translate and navigate

About 8000won a day and after 5days they don't charge you for rental, only data which is 5000won. They even give you a spare battery and charger.

They are available from both 1st and 3rd floor of incheon. Look for the LG kiosk. Have your credit card and passport ready.

If the maximum speeds are right they give my fibre connection back home a run for its money.

SIMs are everywhere but I have no idea as to their effectiveness but the gadget is great for the easy setup, multiple users and helpful salespeople who know English.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The wifi egg is nice though if you're on a budget you don't really need it. There's enough public wifi in Korea that I didn't bother when I was there a couple months back and I barely noticed. Every coffee shop has open wifi and about a third of the buildings in Korea are coffee shops.

Since I'd lived there I did not need constant access to translation or maps though.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Imperialist Dog posted:

Miasma theory is Traditional Western Medicine

Also please remember that BONGHITZ just copy-pastes sad tales from Reddit.

Its my only joy

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you are here for a day or two the wifi egg is a cheap enough way to get a connection without wifi hoping which I couldn't do the first time around in a much denser area than where I at.

If you are tight on time get the egg as it will save you a lot of hassle.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

BONGHITZ posted:

Its my only joy

You are our sunshine boy

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Wifi eggs are a huge waste of money IMHO.

Want wifi on the street in Korea?

1. Walk around until you see a network named "iptime"
2. Enter "12345" as the password. (Or maybe it's just 1234? Anyways, something like that.)
3. You're in.

Iptime is the default network name; if someone hasn't changed that, it's a good bet that they didn't change the default password, either.

You can also use the free app Maps.Me to download interactive, searchable city maps to your phone that are available offline. I use it all the time in Chengdu and it works pretty well. I think you'd have to try pretty hard to get lost in Seoul, though. The subway is excellent, there's a lot of English signage, and the overall English level among people you meet in Seoul is fairly high. There's a ton of free Wifi available, as others have said; pretty much every bar/cafe/restaurant will have wifi for customers.

If you have the cash and you feel more secure, by all means rent one, but I honestly wouldn't bother.

Actual Chinar content:

On Monday (or perhaps last Friday?) my boss was on the phone yelling in Mandarin when: "shi shi shi shi shi shi THREATENING ME shi shi shi shi shi"

:stare:

Anyways, there was this girl mooning around last week. Looked like Sadako from The Ring, long hair over her face, completely silent, accompanied by a Typical Sichuan Uneducated But Rich Bitch I've seen before- middle-aged woman with a bowl haircut, expensive shoes, ill-advised lipstick color, stared at me working in the office with a look of (apparent) disgust on her face until I took my computer into the meeting room and closed the door against her gaze.

TSUBRB was in the "counseling" (lol) office last week with my boss and the recruitment advisor. I've seen Sadako once before, ghosting in and out of the office in silence, and I saw her again yesterday, this time accompanied by an older woman who seemed much nicer than TSUBRB.

The kids told me she was a transfer student. It's loving March.

Therefore, I believe the TSUBRB to have threatened my boss with...something...in order to admit Sadako so late in the year. Which, accompanied with the fact that Sadako seems to be a robot zombie, leads me to believe that the poor girl is some kind of rich fuckup, as many of our students are, and didn't pass the minimum English requirement (as many of our students, I believe, do not).

oh, god, I think I wrote an oohhhhiohhohboy post.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm not falling for BONGHITZ copy pastes this time, but why is there a bride price in China if women are seen as undesirable offspring? Why don't they pay you a dowry to marry their worthless daughters like in prehistoric European times?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Imperialist Dog posted:

Miasma theory is Traditional Western Medicine

Also please remember that BONGHITZ just copy-pastes sad tales from Reddit.

Miasma theory is still alive and well on Asia, why do you think everyone keeps their loving windows open in winter

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

edit out any parts of interest and include some dipshittery about walking around and badminton and there you go

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outrail posted:

I'm not falling for BONGHITZ copy pastes this time, but why is there a bride price in China if women are seen as undesirable offspring? Why don't they pay you a dowry to marry their worthless daughters like in prehistoric European times?

Because scamming rich foreigners with no sense is timeless and cross cultural.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

oohhboy posted:

Well, back in Korea, hopefully I will see something more enlightening than the inside of a bar.

You're in Korea. The inside of a bar is the only thing remotely interesting that you will come across.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Outrail posted:

Mediaeval European:
drat that woman takes food and clothes and servant time to keep, her dad better give me money for this

Modern Chinese:
drat that woman was gonna be my servant when I was old, the husband better give me money to buy that slavedaughter

The wife cares for the in-laws. Your son will get a wife, therefore you get the benefits of having a more respectable son, with his steady income, plus the benefits of having a servant [son's wife].
The parents of a daughter will lose their wife to the husband's family and thus need Fat Stax to have a decent retirement.
Only good daughter is an unmarried one so she can care for you but also you must berate her for being a failure at getting married but actually you don't want her to get married so make sure you stop her from having any sort of social life.

No this does not apply to all and every Chinese person everywhere, in China or out, yada yada, gently caress off.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 1, 2017

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

simplefish posted:

drat that woman was gonna be my servant when I was old, the husband better give me money to buy that slavedaughter

there are SHITLOADS of korean idioms and sayings about how worthless daughters are, how they are basically thieves for eating all the food and providing nothing, "woe is the man who has three daughters", etc.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ladron posted:

there are SHITLOADS of korean idioms and sayings about how worthless daughters are, how they are basically thieves for eating all the food and providing nothing, "woe is the man who has three daughters", etc.

To be fair, I've seen Korean girls beat the poo poo out of each other over a single mini-doughnut. They DO eat all the food. That why I poured a bunch of Fisherman's Friend in the candy bucket. Hee hee, that was a fun day.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're there a day or two don't try to scrape a couple bucks like that. If you are staying longer or backpacking then go right ahead as the eggs aren't for long term use.

:lol: at the "excellent" Korean subway system. It keeps eating my tickets and none of the stations have the same logical layout so every one of the is like a rat running in a maze.

If you have been to HongKong you would know what an excellent system is. It is almost effortless.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

oohhboy posted:

If you have been to HongKong you would know what an excellent system is. It is almost effortless.

yeah, but there's a bunch of weirdos ranting about badminton, soo...

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

That why I poured a bunch of Fisherman's Friend in the candy bucket.

please, please tell me you have video

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

HK and Seoul have the best subways I've used in Asia, but all subways here suck compared to NYC because they close at night.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

To be fair, I've seen Korean girls beat the poo poo out of each other over a single mini-doughnut. They DO eat all the food. That why I poured a bunch of Fisherman's Friend in the candy bucket. Hee hee, that was a fun day.

I've never seen anyone eat more than when I had a couple Korean girls over for New Orleans food. I seriously thought I'd made enough to have a week of leftovers and the three of us ate everything.

Also always enjoyed going out to BBQ or a chicken place and seeing that table with two 20s Korean girls with like 15 empty bottles of alcohol.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\After 2 years in Korea, I don't think I went to a location in Seoul that required more than a 5 minute walk from a subway station. Going back to Toronto was like living what Cavemen think a subway system should look like.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You're welcome for the tip. Here's another one: "memorial" and "museum" are different words. :downs:

The War Museum in Seoul is world class, and you can see all of the outside exhibits for free.

http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/ATR/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=268131

Also, it has a BUFF!!!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

oohhboy posted:

If you're there a day or two don't try to scrape a couple bucks like that. If you are staying longer or backpacking then go right ahead as the eggs aren't for long term use.

:lol: at the "excellent" Korean subway system. It keeps eating my tickets and none of the stations have the same logical layout so every one of the is like a rat running in a maze.

Oh, you ridiculous man. You would start an argument with thin air if you could.

Fine; the Seoul subway is totally terrible and the HK subway is literally the best EVER despite them both being perfectly fine. But HK is better, no why. *drinks hot water*

Also, if you get lost in a subway station in Seoul, you are pretty dopey.

ladron posted:

please, please tell me you have video

I don't, sadly. :ohdear:

Blistex posted:

/\After 2 years in Korea, I don't think I went to a location in Seoul that required more than a 5 minute walk from a subway station. Going back to Toronto was like living what Cavemen think a subway system should look like.

The TTC is so goddamn expensive for what you get, which is some of the grungiest stations I've ever seen. Two whole lines, wow (or is it three now?)

I was back in Toronto for the first time in six years this past summer...boy, that city is more disgustingly expensive than it's ever been. I still can't believe I managed to live there for five years as a student, considering U of T students get jack (astor's) poo poo (hahaha I made a Jack Astor's joke) in terms of help. ooooh, ten bucks off a Metropass, thank you so loving much VUSAC.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 1, 2017

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I think you're right Mcgurn. . . he's a literal retarded person.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

Also always enjoyed going out to BBQ or a chicken place and seeing that table with two 20s Korean girls with like 15 empty bottles of alcohol.

omg flashbacks

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
any subway less than 25 years old is pretty great

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ladron posted:

omg flashbacks

Thirded. I love that so much. Second best is Japanese girls at a buffet; you can totally get how Kirby was conceptualized.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fauxtool posted:

any subway less than 25 years old is pretty great

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Fine; the Seoul subway is totally terrible and the HK subway is literally the best EVER despite them both being perfectly fine. But HK is better, no why. *drinks hot water*

Also, if you get lost in a subway station in Seoul, you are pretty dopey.

I drink cold water thank you.

Look at it as a first time user of the Seoul subway. Maybe I got unlucky with the stations during my first layover and the single trip tickets are BS if you have a transfer to go through. The station I went to had rail pairs not accessible by a single platform despite not having a transfer opposite it. The signs are sprinkled seemingly at random.

Whatever it was it bugged the hell out of me.

Did much better this time round as I ignored the transfer tickets and just brought new ones at the transfer. I also knew I would be taking a taxi back so I could "2nd star to the right straight on until morning". It's probably fine once you find the under pinning logic to it but it definitely left a bad impression.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It has a beginning, a middle, and an end that wraps the whole thing together so no you're good.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Second best is Japanese girls at a buffet; you can totally get how Kirby was conceptualized.

wrong. second best is korean girls flipping out around a pigeon

oohhboy posted:

Did much better this time round as I ignored the transfer tickets and just brought new ones at the transfer. I also knew I would be taking a taxi back so I could "2nd star to the right straight on until morning". It's probably fine once you find the under pinning logic to it but it definitely left a bad impression.

dude, I don't want to beat a dead horse by continually pointing this out, like everyone else, but you have got some problems, and maybe you should stop posting for a day and think about that

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I was oohhboy to come to Bangkok so I can personally watch as a city eats a man alive.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You are an evil genius.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

JaucheCharly posted:

You are an evil genius.

It worked! No one stole candy for the rest of the year. And they were very, very appreciative when they got some as a reward. :getin:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ladron posted:

dude, I don't want to beat a dead horse by continually pointing this out, like everyone else, but you have got some problems, and maybe you should stop posting for a day and think about that
Please you think too highly of your ability to analyse someone through the internet. Why the hell are you trying to do that anyway?

You might as well be self trolling considering you seem to be stressing about me more than I am. The only one that stresses more is my well intentioned aunt.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

HK and Seoul have the best subways I've used in Asia, but all subways here suck compared to NYC because they close at night.

I've never seen anyone eat more than when I had a couple Korean girls over for New Orleans food. I seriously thought I'd made enough to have a week of leftovers and the three of us ate everything.

There's something respectable about a girl with a healthy appetite and a good tolerance for liquor.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

ladron posted:

wrong. second best is korean girls flipping out around a pigeon

The vomit eating drunk-flying pigeons of Seoul are one of the best things ever to come out of this thread.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

oohhboy posted:

Please you think too highly of your ability to analyse someone through the internet. Why the hell are you trying to do that anyway?

it's a hobby. severe mental illness is pretty easy to pick up on, even for the layman

oohhboy posted:

You might as well be self trolling considering you seem to be stressing about me more than I am. The only one that stresses more is my well intentioned aunt.

yeah, I guess you got me there, clearly mentally ill retarded internet person.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

oohhboy posted:

So wait is this the "puppet master" phase or the "I'm a dumbass on purpose" phase or what?

I mean I know it's a harsh reality to realize that literally everyone who reads your stuff dislikes you but you're going to have to confront that you're an uninteresting human being and an uninteresting writer sooner or later so if you could speed along the lovely Poster Phase Progression a little quicker it would be cool thanks

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

JaucheCharly posted:

The vomit eating drunk-flying pigeons of Seoul are one of the best things ever to come out of this thread.

there's plenty of undigested rice in that vomit

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Guys guys they said to check out the temples but all I can find are these little shrines outside my hotel and they're covered in strawberry Fanta bottles. What the hell is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Thirded. I love that so much. Second best is Japanese girls at a buffet; you can totally get how Kirby was conceptualized.

I've noticed this with every japanese lady I've known and often Korean too. Skinny as hell but take them to a buffet and they can put away 4+ plates while I'm barely doing 1.5 before I'm uncomfortably full. Me and my wife will share a big pho and they'll just disappear it in minutes. Do they not eat during the day?? I've had quite a few actually-from-asia asians often tell me westerners seem to never be able to eat much in one sitting so how do they get so fat???

• Locked thread