Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Kraftwerk posted:

He lives in Virginia so I have no idea how many applicants are competing for nominations. I told him to try for ROTC as a backup and not overthink his major too much. If he’s willing to compromise on piloting he could still get a decent life.

Not gonna sugar coat it: it's going to be hard as gently caress to get into Annapolis from Virginia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
But there's good news, the US has LOTS of colleges with ROTC he doesn't have to be hazed daily for years st AND he can do normal college stuff!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
That's not to say he shouldn't still apply. At worst he'll only be out the application fees (odds are high he won't even have to pay for gas to attend interviews now), and if he's academically and extra-curricularly qualified for USNA he'll be able to apply anywhere. He can also apply to the USAFA at the same time to double his chances.

Also, if he hasn't yet, he should check out the Air Warriors forums. It's a specifically naval aviator focused forum that, last I checked, had ton of information for kids just like him on how to best become a pilot.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Kraftwerk posted:

What is the NUPOC program anyway? How does it differ from ROTC? All the money talk kinda piqued his interest.

The ~prestigious~ job of Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate. Its ROTC without the military BS. You become either an officer on a carriers engineering deparment, or may volunteer to become a submarine officer. Which unlike carriers means actually driving the sub and running missions.

Submarines are a family and while the work is harder the people support each other more. Carriers are a city where you are a cog, but with 2,000 people working the individual load is far less so the stress is far more social than existential as with subs.

If you are either a Nuke officer or Nuke enlisted (which if you have grades in HS is easy to do) you will never want for a good paycheck for the remainder of your life. Just never lie about anything ever.

In return for such monumental paycheck and authority you are essentially personally trusted with the derived authority of NAVSEA08 which allows O-2's to overrule O-6's to tie ships to the pier in the name of reactor safety. A broken part once put us out of procedure mid shutdown and rather than try to *just fix it* shutdown and go home we started the barking chain and very quickly had woken up the entire DC senior Line Locker to get an official judgement call at what I think would have been 2am local for them. And they spent all of a few crisp minutes publicly conferring and agreed with our initial assessment with the safest plan forward and everyone went home maybe 2 hours late except now all the brass were loving ecstatic that we were all so professional. They metaphorically rubbed themselves raw at the whole system working exactly as intended.

On the flipside we had one guy kicked out because he forged a 2nd check signature on the fan replacement for one of the ovens. Because he was lazy and didn't want to spend the 20 minutes. Never lie about anything ever.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

nah its the same for both. BUT, if you want to make money, NUPOC is straight loving cash, homie.

If you have to be a nuke, be an officer because you make more money. NUPOC is getting paid for a full degree without any ROTC poo poo and your only punishment is a shitload of bonuses and incentive pay to run the suicide gauntlet for 6-12 years.

I think this is very true, but enlisted nuke can still be very lucrative. I left as an E-6, and went to work in the data center industry. I didn't quite make 200k last year, but it is in sight, in at least a few years. Doing just the 6 enlisted (albeit I did 10), and being not a gently caress-up, you can still make some money on the outside. My company also said that their policy of paying for a person's first Bachelors degree would be unfair if they prevented people from using their GI bill, as the company does not care if you, your parent, or whoever paid for it, so I was able to double dip and and got a BA in Gender Studies/Humanities and got straight up paid 45k for it or so between GI Bill and the company reimbursement. If I had more than a year of degree time left I would have loving killed it even more.

I got super hosed in the Navy, but my post Navy career has been crabdad levels of good.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think this is very true, but enlisted nuke can still be very lucrative. I left as an E-6, and went to work in the data center industry. I didn't quite make 200k last year, but it is in sight, in at least a few years. Doing just the 6 enlisted (albeit I did 10), and being not a gently caress-up, you can still make some money on the outside. My company also said that their policy of paying for a person's first Bachelors degree would be unfair if they prevented people from using their GI bill, as the company does not care if you, your parent, or whoever paid for it, so I was able to double dip and and got a BA in Gender Studies/Humanities and got straight up paid 45k for it or so between GI Bill and the company reimbursement. If I had more than a year of degree time left I would have loving killed it even more.

I got super hosed in the Navy, but my post Navy career has been crabdad levels of good.

Dude you are doing much better than me in the real world. Congrats on completing that grind and being justly rewarded for it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Dude you are doing much better than me in the real world. Congrats on completing that grind and being justly rewarded for it.

I just want everyone to know that there are good places out there and to find them before the good deals run out. Not all data centers are equally as good, but, by god, it is a great industry. Be a nuke to say you were a nuke then stay away from that poo poo for ever. I hear of people living in RVs roving from outage to outage to make 150k a year while being ultra loving stressed working 12x7. Yall don't have to do that. Nukes are attractive to employers because we are verified gluttons for punishment, and they loving know this. Nukes require just a little bit of social engineering and what appears to be "big money" for undying loyalty and perseverance.

My biggest post Navy regret is not living somewhere where I can go to law school. Like, if you can do Nuke school you can get your JD. It is one of a few degrees you can not get online. (Caveat here is you can get one online but then never be admitted to take the BAR, so, uh... bad idea)

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
It’s not like NROTC is a nuke only pipeline, it’s not. Out of my class if 15, we probably had half go nuke; but I also went to an engineering university and most of those guys had planned to go nuke from the start and wanted all the bonuses. About a third of us went into aviation and the rest went SWO. I don’t remember anyone getting railroaded into nuke.

There’s no harm in applying for NROTC. I think you can get the first year of the scholarship before you sign a commitment as well if he is worried about that. If he is in VA and not interested in fake academy stuff, steer him away from the combo of Virginia Tech and ROTC. They have a corps of cadets and are huge dorks about it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

My biggest post Navy regret is not living somewhere where I can go to law school. Like, if you can do Nuke school you can get your JD. It is one of a few degrees you can not get online. (Caveat here is you can get one online but then never be admitted to take the BAR, so, uh... bad idea)

Why would you want to get your JD? Unless you plan on getting into a specific law field?

Nearly every JD I know who isn't working for a firm or at DoJ (or isn't designated counsel for some agency/company) absolutely regrets their decision.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Do not go to law school. There's no money, no jobs, and you'll die alone.

There is no value in a law degree outside of the practice of law. It's trade school for a miserable job, and compensation for such is at a historic low. Do not look at biglaw salaries and think that you can get them. The only way you get one of those jobs is if you're coming from a T14 school with a decent class rank OR you have a familial connection.

Outside of biglaw, the only money to be made is steeped in misery. The entire profession, really, is lousy with the suffering of people. You see the worst parts of american greed and just how horrible people can be as a lawyer. It doesn't matter whether you're practicing criminal or civil law, everyone is monstrous in their own way.

Every day is a fight. You have an opponent in this industry. They might be a personal friend, but at the moment you're their enemy. It's your job to get the better of them. There's an underlying conflict in every conversation you ever have with opposing counsel. It is exhausting and draining.

Also, law school is easy. You don't fail unless you piss off the professor or blatantly cheat. Schools have incentive to pass everyone they can. You just end up ranked lower at the end.

If you are a no-poo poo sociopath, you can make some cash. If you have any amount of soul, going to law school is a bad idea with bad outcomes.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Kraftwerk posted:

Thanks everyone for helping me help my relative. I really want him to get a step up in life so I appreciate it.
I had a talk with him and broke things down like this:

I told him if he’s dead set on flying anything he can get his hands on, chances are his best shot at doing so is to put college on hold and go the Army warrant officer route and use his GI bill to touch up any civilian credentials he needs to fly planes on his way out. I said he should talk to a recruiter about this path if it seems unlikely he’ll get accepted into any of the college path options. I also warned him that if he fails they’ll make him a cook or a infantryman.

I also explained to him that the USAF probably isn’t as bad as he thinks and he should still apply to them as there’s way more airframes he can get access to than he would elsewhere.

Also I talked about the USNA, NROTC and how difficult it is to get in in the first place but also that on graduation he’s not 100% guaranteed to get a pilot slot. I specifically emphasized that the Navy wants to stick as many bodies as it can into a submarine reactor and hope for the best. I told him that it’s very likely he will sleep on a book shelf with curtains, that it will constantly smell like sweat and that it’s possible he will eat lovely food and never get a good nights sleep for months at a time until the Navy decides to release him of his obligations. So if he walks down this path he needs to be absolutely prepared for never seeing the light of day for long periods of time while being paid large sums of money to look after a nuclear reactor all without sleep or good food.

He lives in Virginia so I have no idea how many applicants are competing for nominations. I told him to try for ROTC as a backup and not overthink his major too much. If he’s willing to compromise on piloting he could still get a decent life.

What is the NUPOC program anyway? How does it differ from ROTC? All the money talk kinda piqued his interest.

Just an FYI on army Warrant they've put some ridiculous obligations on top of the contracts. Last I heard they have a 10 year commitment requirement on after becoming rotary qualified.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

rifles posted:

Just an FYI on army Warrant they've put some ridiculous obligations on top of the contracts. Last I heard they have a 10 year commitment requirement on after becoming rotary qualified.

Most pilot programs are 8 years after getting winged anyways, right?

TidePods4Lunch
Apr 24, 2005
You can't kill me, I'm made out of invincible!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Navy is 8 years commitment post winging (18-30ish months depending on platform) for pilots. 6 years post winging for NFOs, and I believe 5 years now for all other unrestricted line officers.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
NFO always seemed like a good deal to me

You don't even have to fly the thing, you take home the whole aviator check for sitting in there poking at a screen beep boop

boom now you're bringin home O3, plus flight pay and bah, not bad

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

US Berder Patrol posted:

NFO always seemed like a good deal to me

You don't even have to fly the thing, you take home the whole aviator check for sitting in there poking at a screen beep boop

boom now you're bringin home O3, plus flight pay and bah, not bad

But then you have to deal with pilots on the reg: the jabronies of the Navy.

I was guaranteed an NFO slot when I commissioned if I wanted it, but after my air week at CORTRAMID and dealing with my shithead pilot advisors for 4 years, nooooo loving way.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Helicopter pilots are mostly ok

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
NFO has been good to me. P-3/P-8 is a very NFO-centric community, so that helps. NFO does stand for No Future Outside though, so 2 years ago most of my pilot friends were scoring commercial pilot jobs and most of the NFO’s were hoping to screen for DH or lat transfer elsewhere. COVID messed that up though, so most of the pilots are furloughed and had to scramble to get into the reserve squadrons or find a real job.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wonder Free posted:

NFO has been good to me. P-3/P-8 is a very NFO-centric community, so that helps. NFO does stand for No Future Outside though, so 2 years ago most of my pilot friends were scoring commercial pilot jobs and most of the NFO’s were hoping to screen for DH or lat transfer elsewhere. COVID messed that up though, so most of the pilots are furloughed and had to scramble to get into the reserve squadrons or find a real job.

I mean you get to ride into hurricanes though, that's loving badass

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
My college had a pretty prestigious Aerospace Engineering program so a substantial plurality of freshman NROTC students came in as Aero E majors because they thought it would help them get selected pilot.

95% of them washed out or changed majors and the 5% that actually made it through with an Aero E degree ended up getting forced to go nuke.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So now that we’re clear on everything he understands the situation with the USNA given he lives in Virginia. He’s shifted his hopes to the Air Force academy.
For those of you who want to see more comrades join the navy he has found himself extremely tempted by the NUPOC program so it’s possible a future submariner is still in the cards here. I hope he knows what he’s doing. I don’t think I could handle the life of a nuke person given the physical demands. But he’s had a harder life than me and if it gets him away from home and sets him on a good path that’ll be much better than the alternatives.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 19, 2022

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Buy him an account; fresh blood complaining sustains us

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Being a submarine junior officer is completely miserable in ways that are impossible to describe to someone that hasn't experienced it, but if you're willing to sacrifice 3 years of the prime of your life, you'll come out the back end debt free with an open door to any high-paying industry or top-tier business school you want.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I don't normally pay attention to Navy stuff, but is Department of the Navy still waiting for people to stop paying attention to flush Captain Crozier?

TidePods4Lunch
Apr 24, 2005
You can't kill me, I'm made out of invincible!

Kraftwerk posted:

So now that we’re clear on everything he understands the situation with the USNA given he lives in Virginia. He’s shifted his hopes to the Air Force academy.
For those of you who want to see more comrades join the navy he has found himself extremely tempted by the NUPOC program so it’s possible a future submariner is still in the cards here. I hope he knows what he’s doing. I don’t think I could handle the life of a nuke person given the physical demands. But he’s had a harder life than me and if it gets him away from home and sets him on a good path that’ll be much better than the alternatives.

Tell him to apply for all the schools and scholarships possible. I applied for NROTC, AROTC, and AFROTC all at the same time and the navy officer recruiter asked me if I wanted to apply for USNA at the same time I was doing my NROTC paperwork. You can be awarded the scholarship and then turn it down. Hell, at least with NROTC, your first year of scholarship incurred absolutely no commitment and as long as you don’t sign on the dotted line day one of sophomore year, you can walk away with a free freshman year (at least was the case in 2008-2012).

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

A.o.D. posted:

I don't normally pay attention to Navy stuff, but is Department of the Navy still waiting for people to stop paying attention to flush Captain Crozier?

Last I saw on it:
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/emails-reveal-brett-crozier-support/

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/03/10/navy-moved-fire-capt-crozier-other-leaders-rallied-around-him.html

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Do not go to law school. There's no money, no jobs, and you'll die alone.

There is no value in a law degree outside of the practice of law. It's trade school for a miserable job, and compensation for such is at a historic low. Do not look at biglaw salaries and think that you can get them. The only way you get one of those jobs is if you're coming from a T14 school with a decent class rank OR you have a familial connection.

Outside of biglaw, the only money to be made is steeped in misery. The entire profession, really, is lousy with the suffering of people. You see the worst parts of american greed and just how horrible people can be as a lawyer. It doesn't matter whether you're practicing criminal or civil law, everyone is monstrous in their own way.

Every day is a fight. You have an opponent in this industry. They might be a personal friend, but at the moment you're their enemy. It's your job to get the better of them. There's an underlying conflict in every conversation you ever have with opposing counsel. It is exhausting and draining.

Also, law school is easy. You don't fail unless you piss off the professor or blatantly cheat. Schools have incentive to pass everyone they can. You just end up ranked lower at the end.

If you are a no-poo poo sociopath, you can make some cash. If you have any amount of soul, going to law school is a bad idea with bad outcomes.

My corporation has a need for someone with both a JD and data center experience for contract review and other functions to free up our lawyers that specialize in other capacities. It is pretty niche work, but I have a very solid idea that the compensation would be higher than what I currently receive.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Nice! posted:

AF is 8 for pilots, 6 for ABMs, and I think navs used to be 7 so that probably carried into CSO or whatever they call it now.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

rifles posted:

When I was looking at their "High School to Flight School" program yesterday it looked like the commitment was 10 years regardless of type of aircraft you qualified on.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kraftwerk posted:

Virginia is still massively populated with AF people. Air Combat Command is HQed at Langley, home of one of the larger fighter wings and a metric fuckton of contractor companies including three of the four I've worked for. By all means, apply. But he should probably brace himself for having to "settle" on a normal college. If he wants to do four years of formation runs and pushups there are other options. I wouldn't actually recommend them, but some are less stupid than others.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Godholio posted:

Virginia is still massively populated with AF people. Air Combat Command is HQed at Langley, home of one of the larger fighter wings and a metric fuckton of contractor companies including three of the four I've worked for. By all means, apply. But he should probably brace himself for having to "settle" on a normal college. If he wants to do four years of formation runs and pushups there are other options. I wouldn't actually recommend them, but some are less stupid than others.

Langley is a really nice base as well, in a good location. My son was born there, and when I had a kidney stone I went there. I think you would have to be a loving maniac to ever, ever go to Portsmouth Naval Hospital.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

My corporation has a need for someone with both a JD and data center experience for contract review and other functions to free up our lawyers that specialize in other capacities. It is pretty niche work, but I have a very solid idea that the compensation would be higher than what I currently receive.

Contract review is work that pays out around $25/hr or so. Lots of lawyers do doc review.

Besides it takes 3 years minimum to get a JD. That isn’t going to help you for a job opening now.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 14, 2021

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Contract review is work that pays out around $25/hr or so. Lots of lawyers do doc review.

Besides it takes 3 years minimum to get a JD. That isn’t going to help you for a job opening now.

Well, the position is still open now, so they have not found someone yet and it has been 5+ years. Perhaps I don't understand how other places work, all I know is my workplace, and that one major time intensive roadblock is that our legal team must review numerous contracts that our DCs utilize, and that number is only increasing in the future. I do know that a lot of our management team have JDs as well, and I had a long discussion with one of our department heads about career growth and they indicated it would be very helpful for me. It seems reasonable to assume that tens of billions of dollars of contracts and agreements might be something they would want a specialist for.

Ceric
Aug 17, 2012

Welp. I picked up Chief :chiefsay: and got redistributed to a carrier. The last time I was on one was 2010. Going to be interesting.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

orange juche posted:

Helicopter pilots are mostly ok

Just forget about ever rising higher than O-6 if you decide to make it a career. =/

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Langley is a really nice base as well, in a good location. My son was born there, and when I had a kidney stone I went there. I think you would have to be a loving maniac to ever, ever go to Portsmouth Naval Hospital.

Langley's fine so long as you stay on your side of the Bay/James River and cross the bridge(s) as little as possible. As for Portsmouth Naval Hospital, I still have a three inch permanent scar on my abdomen from their surgical team doing an unnecessary hack job at 2am after making me wait 12+ hours in 1986 to remove my perfectly good appendix only to find out I had mesenteric adenitis. :toot:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 15, 2021

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

As for Portsmouth Naval Hospital, I still have a three inch permanent scar on my abdomen from their surgical team doing an unnecessary hack job at 2am after making me wait 12+ hours in 1986 to remove my perfectly good appendix only to find out I had mesenteric adenitis. :toot:

I had my LASIK done at Portsmouth, and lemme tell you, one of the most unnerving things you can hear is for the doc slicing open your eye to say "okay, well, your eye is probably going to be fine, but..." halfway through the procedure. And then stepping out to get another eye surgeon to finish the job.

Eye ended up being fine and LASIK is great, but for a little while there I was thinking "well, it was nice having binocular vision while it lasted".

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Ceric posted:

Welp. I picked up Chief :chiefsay: and got redistributed to a carrier. The last time I was on one was 2010. Going to be interesting.

Congratulations!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ceric posted:

Do you go through initiation prior to, or after the redistribution? Congratulations and good luck!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ceric posted:

Which home port? And congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

AlternateNu posted:

But then you have to deal with pilots on the reg: the jabronies of the Navy.

I was guaranteed an NFO slot when I commissioned if I wanted it, but after my air week at CORTRAMID and dealing with my shithead pilot advisors for 4 years, nooooo loving way.

In the limited amount I've talked to NFOs outside P-8s, it seems like Rhino pilots have the highest amount of jabronies. Though admittedly my Growler roomate and his buddies (pilots and nfos) act like they're back in a college frat.

Ceric posted:

Congrats!