Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

So i guess the imminent release of a prison ship jpeg is now off the table?

<-- taxxe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Please try crobbler in Alaska.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAJEiJJzdAg

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Gravity_Storm posted:

So i guess the imminent release of a prison ship jpeg is now off the table?

Give it some time my friend. It is being refactored.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

quote:

We are aware of the Crytek complaint having been filed in the US District Court. CIG hasn’t used the CryEngine for quite some time since we switched to Amazon’s Lumberyard. This is a meritless lawsuit that we will defend vigorously against, including recovering from Crytek any costs incurred in this matter.

:thunk:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

The white knights are knighting whitely all over the internet right now. Joe Blober is having a hell of a day.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
So I guess the Citizens waking up to the truth of being exploited and Crobbler bros being hacks & frauds is still a long way to come.

Instead it will be a boring series of lawsuits? Although, I do have a recollection of someone calling it.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Whatever happened to Cymelion? Did he just vanish?

Citizens don't simply up and vanish. They clip through floors out of a spaceship or through grounds into the mass of moons. They also maybe trapped forever into their wankpod since its doors are murderous.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

AbstractNapper posted:

So I guess the Citizens waking up to the truth of being exploited and Crobbler bros being hacks & frauds is still a long way to come.
Citizens wake up to it all the time, but their interactions tend to drive them back into line or out of the herd. The latter is silent.

The herd will keep itself going probably past Roberts driving off into the sunset though yeah.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Posting from the past so I know you will have already got props, but holy poo poo is this amazing. :five: :five: :five:

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Spermanent Record posted:

Is there any way that Roberts and co end up losing the money they paid themselves or does this just end with a bunch of smug scammers with enough cash in the bank for their next venture?

There’s a very good chance that Coutts would have insisted on a personal guarantee for their loan...

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

D_Smart posted:

I am semi-retired, remember? I just finished several online courses on day trading, so I'm going to be focusing on that after this poo poo-show. Plus I expect that I'm going to be busy with interviews, streams, my Star Citizen book (talking to Amazon Publishing and others atm) etc.

Day trading? Don't do it. Unless you don't care about the money. Seriously. I've been on the inside of the financial sector, and the risk-reward balance is not in your favor. You need luck and a very special personality to prosper as a day trader. Just do "normal" investment instead, and have sensible stop-loss and hedging strategies.

Meonekton
Oct 26, 2014
Wow I thought CIG would at least spit out some Daikatana-level trash but it doesn't even look like that's going to happen. Seeing the shitzens do all these mental gymnastics is hilarious though.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Good morning thread :)

Sadly heavyweight gaming sites like pixelemonade.com don't seem to have picked up on the lawsuit yet, so here's a reminder of their previous scoop.

http://www.pixelemonade.com/gaming/pc/star-citizen-3-0-release-date/

"If Star Citizen can stay on course as it has throughout 2016 then 2017 looks to be a promising year for not only the Star Citizen backers but PC gamers everywhere."

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Just read about the suit.

I think it's actually the best thing that could have happened to CIG, it's their Christmas miracle.

I mean, they're getting 2 legitimate reasons to delay the game for at least a couple of years while playing the victim card. First is "we need time to deal with the suit (you just don't know how the legal system works" and the second is "we need to switch everything to another engine".

You know that fans will absolutely buy this poo poo.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

D_Smart posted:

including a Goddamn Ph.D
Is a Goddamn Ph.D better or worse than a regular one?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

juggalo baby coffin posted:

why the gently caress did they go with cryengine anyway? its infamously bad for performance

unreal engine would've been a better bet

edit: i posted this in the other star citizen thread because im dumb

Because C.R. didn't have the skills, people, or money to make an attractive kickstarter video. So the dudes at Crytek made one for him with the condition of using their engine. That's it.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I read through all the last 1200 posts (an average of 100 per hour)

Thanks Derek, thanks goony friends, thanks everybody.

Early Merry Christmas.

Call your families and put cookies for Santa Crytek under the Christmas tree.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yes!!! Finally caught up with the threat. I was stuck at -15 pages from the end for hours, never managing to gain ground, but now it's done!

Thanks for the laughs, this was a magical day.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Palpek posted:

Just read about the suit.

I think it's actually the best thing that could have happened to CIG, it's their Christmas miracle.

I mean, they're getting 2 legitimate reasons to delay the game for at least a couple of years while playing the victim card. First is "we need time to deal with the suit (you just don't know how the legal system works" and the second is "we need to switch everything to another engine".

You know that fans will absolutely buy this poo poo.

They would buy ANY poo poo. If the mockery that CIG calls 'game development' went on for another 50 years and ended in CIG just disappearing with all the money, the old grandpa Star Citizens would STILL shake their walking sticks and blame some obscure 'evil developer' or poo poo like that for why it never properly released and defend the alpha as the greatest game anyway until the end of time.

This way, at least, poo poo is finally happening and it's far more entertaining.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 14, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Raskolnikov posted:

:sureboat: CIG: Too Big to Fail?

Close
CIG: too fail to be big.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Anyone want to predict the first shill to disappear once the cheques stop coming?

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

MedicineHut posted:

hosed up if true

I'm seeing a pattern here.
:thunk:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can someone post the funny meme video about SPACE COURT? I can't find it.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
What an incredible oddyssey this has been. I love you all. :glomp:

I'm not remotely qualified or nearly intelligent enough to comment on the legal wranglings, but I did notice one little thing in the complaint that I found funny: Starting in Section D with #40, it mentions how Crytek was supposed to get code improvements back from CIG, but never received a "compilable version." That wording just strikes me as humorous, because it conveys (albeit presumably unintentionally; I'm guessing they never actually received anything) the impression that CIG provided garbage code that wasn't usable. It reminded me of the time AMD or somebody at E3 asked for their new sizzle reel, got a DVD with their old trailers on it, and when they inquired were told to take it or leave it (may have been the origin of the fabled AMD letter; this trainwreck has been ongoing for so long at this point that I've forgotten 90% of CIG's fuckups).

Good stuff all around.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Beautiful!

Seems like the echo-chamber that is the SC subreddit have unanimously decided that Crytek can suck a big fat one and CIG are just too ambitious for ANYONE to understand ya know?

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

Did anybody say "Crytek just applied for a refund." yet?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

'I just cannot sympathise with that level of stupidity' - Concierge backer

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it always amazes me not only how stupid some of the remaining backers are, but how generally mean they are too

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

I woke up this morning
And the sickening truth still stand
Derek Smart was right

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S01H7NIAd4

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I remember when the fanatics were fawning over the use of Cryengine by CIG because "it's still the best looking game engine, Crytek are geniuses, a space game using it is cutting edge" and now when the lawsuit dropped Crytek is apparently just some dying company with a worthless product. Cool.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Paladinus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRsEF953n0
That one?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

There's no legal superposition here where we can't tell which one you did ergo you're innocent on both counts, you either did A and you're getting sued for it or you did B and you're getting sued for that instead

It's like schrodinger's cat but the cat is dead either way

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

I'm still many pages behind the thread but I just had to say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

empty quoting this

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Kramjacks posted:

Can't wait to read the transcript of Chris testifying, hopefully they include descriptions of his wild hand waving.

The court stenographer for this matter will be in permanent crunch time.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

So, this is how it goes out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4_NSKB8fSQ

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Laopooh posted:

My friends and I played this so much in high school that we called it Escape Reality. Then Everquest happened :sweatdrop:

Did you use the forklift?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Rugganovich posted:

The court stenographer for this matter will be in permanent crunch time.
Court Artist: Ryan Archer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Kilmers Elbow posted:

'I just cannot sympathise with that level of stupidity' - Concierge backer

CIG: Proving people wrong since 2012