Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

codyclarke posted:

These probably aren't it, but just to eliminate some ubiquitous 90s 'she' usage:

Matchbox 20 - 3AM?
Ben Folds Five - Brick?

Too poppy, not slow and noodly enough. This is more heroin grunge type stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

IMJack posted:

Throwing some ideas out there based on what you're describing

Bush - Glycerine
Live - Lightning Crashes

Are either of these in the neighborhood? Faster/slower?

Closer to glycerine but the guitar in live is also close. Slower on both counts.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I know you mentioned Pearl Jam in your post so it's probably not them, but it's not Better Man is it?

You also mentioned STP, but Sour Girl sort of fits?

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 24, 2023

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

I've had a power metal track stuck in the back of my head for over a week now and I can't remember the drat song for the life of me. It's something along the lines of Brainstorm or Gamma Ray and all I remember is them singing about seeking "shelter from the storm." I can also vaguely remember the main riff if there's some way of sharing that.

REO Speedwagon's Ridin' the Storm Out?

It doesn't have anything about shelter from the storm, but maybe along those lines?

Hawkwind's Brainstorm is about escaping the planet.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

misguided rage posted:

I know you mentioned Pearl Jam in your post so it's probably not them, but it's not Better Man is it?

You also mentioned STP, but Sour Girl sort of fits?

better man is too tinny, the guitar was more muted. it also blasts into a crescendo. this tune was mellow for at least the first maybe 2min, i didn't catch the rest after that. too much percussion and speed in sour girl. both bands were definitely in whatever playlist they were on.

all the songs it reminds me of just aren't quite right. i'm gonna be up there again tomorrow. i might ask what they use for their music. today it was classic rock instead.

EDIT: the tone of the guitar was a lot like that of opening water's edge by seven mary three but the notes/speed/etc was off and it didn't pick up like that song did. i also think spotify's results are getting muddy because i keep looking up all these 90s alt/grunge bands i remember and the "radio" playlists are just coalescing to those bands. like all these suggestions are squarely in the genre but the song was just kinda different.

knuthgrush fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 24, 2023

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

knuthgrush posted:

better man is too tinny, the guitar was more muted. it also blasts into a crescendo. this tune was mellow for at least the first maybe 2min, i didn't catch the rest after that. too much percussion and speed in sour girl. both bands were definitely in whatever playlist they were on.

all the songs it reminds me of just aren't quite right. i'm gonna be up there again tomorrow. i might ask what they use for their music. today it was classic rock instead.

EDIT: the tone of the guitar was a lot like that of opening water's edge by seven mary three but the notes/speed/etc was off and it didn't pick up like that song did. i also think spotify's results are getting muddy because i keep looking up all these 90s alt/grunge bands i remember and the "radio" playlists are just coalescing to those bands. like all these suggestions are squarely in the genre but the song was just kinda different.

The Verve Pipe - The Freshmen?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

REO Speedwagon's Ridin' the Storm Out?

It doesn't have anything about shelter from the storm, but maybe along those lines?

Hawkwind's Brainstorm is about escaping the planet.

Nah I distinctly remember the line being "shelter from the storm" I think as the last line from the chorus.

Aha, out of desperation I just searched for power metal in my old foobar playlist and went band by band until the vocalist sounded familiar and finally found it it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHC6VVZjR9k

Apologies for wasting time.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

knuthgrush posted:

Candlebox - Cover Me?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

There's a song called Julia but it's not by the Beatles, and it has an extended instrumental intro. Google only gets me the Beatles one. Any ideas?

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

knuthgrush posted:

The guitar tone sounds like the Staind song It's Been Awhile, and the song structure sounds like the Staind song Outside, so maybe this is some third song by Staind.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

There's a song called Julia but it's not by the Beatles, and it has an extended instrumental intro. Google only gets me the Beatles one. Any ideas?

Gonna ask for a little more detail about what kind of song it is

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

IMJack posted:

Gonna ask for a little more detail about what kind of song it is

Hmm uh... Begins with a long instrumental passage, i think centered around an acoustic guitar, probably 70s?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

alnilam posted:

Hmm uh... Begins with a long instrumental passage, i think centered around an acoustic guitar, probably 70s?

Julia Dream?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFhIl3D_2o0

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello

alnilam posted:

Is it definitely Julia, not Jessica by Allman Brothers Band? Although that's entirely instrumental, not just an intro.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Nope although that rules

SebAndSeb posted:

Is it definitely Julia, not Jessica by Allman Brothers Band? Although that's entirely instrumental, not just an intro.

Not Jessica, although I could be convinced that it's another classically feminine J name

Not as jammy as Allman Bros either

e: I wanna say the instrumental part is stylistically similar to Classical Gas though I might be wrong

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 28, 2023

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

wild guess: "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes", Crosby Stills & Nash?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
You just said it is not Jessica but at this point I am absolutely convinced you are describing Seals & Crofts' "Jessica" between the intro and the actually kind of accurate suggestion it has an instrumental break vaguely akin to Classical Gas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB71pbYtA3Q

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

alnilam posted:

Maggie May?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlFPDi1B-jM

e: or Ooh La La, which I could see sounding like "julia" to someone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg3dF02FQVM

rollick fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 28, 2023

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

knuthgrush posted:

this is gonna be hella vague and i'm so sorry but i was under duress when i heard it and now it's driving me nuts.

i was in a harley dealership bathroom nearly falling over from heat exhaustion and i heard the riff. clean guitar (maybe bass), no distortion. even time, no percussion. if i had to do the sound it'd be like "dun dun dun dundundun dundundun dundundun" where the note progression was "down up down upupup downdowndown downdowndown". clean vocals, i only recall the word "she" as the opening word for one of the lines, which isn't super helpful. was a slower song for sure. i don't remember any crescendo to the song where they kicked in distortion or maybe not even percussion but i maybe only heard half the song so that might not be accurate. it was mellow at least.

would've been probably mid-90s grunge/alternative/rock. probably lumped in the same pile as sound garden, stp, alice in chains, and all that stuff. i'm almost certain the voice wasn't chris cornell or anything whiny. it was on some station that was also playing our lady peace and pearl jam.

terrible description, i know. it's all i can remember from the terrible moment. i've been combing alternative playlists on spotify. please send help.

EDIT: thinking back to it, maybe it's more in the lane of fuel and days of the new? that kinda post-grunge thing? i'm probably making it more murky. bottom line no overdrive/compression/distortion that i recall, minimal percussion if any. clean singing. still hella 90s sounding.

Could it be Carol by slint?

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

knuthgrush posted:

this is gonna be hella vague and i'm so sorry but i was under duress when i heard it and now it's driving me nuts.

i was in a harley dealership bathroom nearly falling over from heat exhaustion and i heard the riff. clean guitar (maybe bass), no distortion. even time, no percussion. if i had to do the sound it'd be like "dun dun dun dundundun dundundun dundundun" where the note progression was "down up down upupup downdowndown downdowndown". clean vocals, i only recall the word "she" as the opening word for one of the lines, which isn't super helpful. was a slower song for sure. i don't remember any crescendo to the song where they kicked in distortion or maybe not even percussion but i maybe only heard half the song so that might not be accurate. it was mellow at least.

would've been probably mid-90s grunge/alternative/rock. probably lumped in the same pile as sound garden, stp, alice in chains, and all that stuff. i'm almost certain the voice wasn't chris cornell or anything whiny. it was on some station that was also playing our lady peace and pearl jam.

terrible description, i know. it's all i can remember from the terrible moment. i've been combing alternative playlists on spotify. please send help.

EDIT: thinking back to it, maybe it's more in the lane of fuel and days of the new? that kinda post-grunge thing? i'm probably making it more murky. bottom line no overdrive/compression/distortion that i recall, minimal percussion if any. clean singing. still hella 90s sounding.

Teenage Fanclub - The Concept?

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

alnilam posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3KSpeiRPTc

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Nope and nope to all the others but thanks for trying!

I caved and asked my wife - it's an old fav of hers and I had been wanting to surprise her by learning it on guitar. Surprise is broken but oh well. Anyway I was slightly wrong on title, it's Song for Juli by Jesse Colin Young

https://youtu.be/csdMA8M2bLU

Very pretty song that I had never heard of before

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

rollick posted:

The guitar tone sounds like the Staind song It's Been Awhile, and the song structure sounds like the Staind song Outside, so maybe this is some third song by Staind.

God drat, it's outside. The lyric was "see" not "she". I dunno how the hell you figured this out from terrible heat stroke description but I can't thank you enough for freeing me from that drat earwig.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Very good chance it’s the amazing live version too, given the lack of percussion you heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc3Za3jfvJg

I’ll assume the heat stroke is why you don’t remember Fred Durst telling us how much he loves lighters

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Omnikin posted:

Very good chance it’s the amazing live version too, given the lack of percussion you heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc3Za3jfvJg

I’ll assume the heat stroke is why you don’t remember Fred Durst telling us how much he loves lighters

yeah this is definitely it. you goons are incredible, thanks!

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Biloxi!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm looking for a song that Shaggy made or was featured in.

You'd think by knowing who was in it, I'd be able to find it, but no luck so far. Maybe it was someone who sounded like Shaggy.

Anyway, here's my very poor rendition of the parts that I remember. (Google drive MP3 link).

Please help, this is driving me nuts.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Please help, this is driving me nuts.

Reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B9t9dLoLMQ

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, I know, that one pops up every time I try to think of what song this is, but that's not it, other than sort of sharing a bit from the chorus.

Edit: a friend of mine got it. My rendition was shockingly close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMMuxKk4itM

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 4, 2023

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello
Is there another hip hop/rap song apart from Busdriver - New Aquarium that samples this dialogue from Repo Man? I just watched the movie for the first time but have heard that sample in the background on Spotify several times recently, though I thought it was more integrated into a longer song with other actual lyrics. Thought it might have been on Billy Woods' new album or a Black Thought song as I've had them on a bit lately, but doesn't seem to be, so probably on a daily playlist of similar artists.

If not it's probably the Busdriver one and I just wasn't paying attention.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE3kJeBr9QI

saw this Ghost video Jesus He Knows Me

I know I saw another mv by a different artist that had more or less the same premise. Preacher who secretly does coke and hookers outside of their gig but British iirc. Might have been a jerry springer style talk show host? Wanna say came out within the last 5 years

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE3kJeBr9QI

saw this Ghost video Jesus He Knows Me

I know I saw another mv by a different artist that had more or less the same premise. Preacher who secretly does coke and hookers outside of their gig but British iirc. Might have been a jerry springer style talk show host? Wanna say came out within the last 5 years

If it wasn't within the last 5 years I'd mention that this is a Genesis cover and you could be thinking of the original

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

well it's less the song and more the video

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

well it's less the song and more the video

Yeah, the genesis video follows the same themes.

But you probably already looked lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

well the video im thinking of is shot indie movie style and guy is driving around at night too

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

well the video im thinking of is shot indie movie style and guy is driving around at night too

Not 'Chase & Status - Let You Go' by any chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBFEBeOTGXc

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Wrath of Mordark posted:

Not 'Chase & Status - Let You Go' by any chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBFEBeOTGXc

yup, thanks

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

genuine question, what is the chiptune that plays during the slideshow at the beginning and end of this video

sounds like demoscene music maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap5mXteespg

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
As a resident Demoscene expert I immediately recognize that is not Demoscene music. Or at least it is MIDI which rarely qualified. Probably from some terrible game he reviewed on a stream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

it sounds more like an FM synth with PCM drum samples (so, tracker/chiptune) than general MIDI to me but idk

anyway it's a nice little tune and i'd like to find a version of it that doesn't have an about-to-die lowtax slurring his speech over it. kinda ruins the vibe.