Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
On my stock 08 sti with stock tune I get 18-20 depending on the mix of city vs highway. If I grandma it I hit 23.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

On my stock 08 sti with stock tune I get 18-20 depending on the mix of city vs highway. If I grandma it I hit 23.

I was actually getting the same mileage with my stock tune as I am now with Stage 2. It must have something to do with my commute, because I used to get phenomenal fuel economy out of my 350hp Cobalt SS as well, and I am not hypermiling or even super-eco-driving.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
If I stay out of the boost, my 05 STi can make it from Brooklyn to Rochester on one tank of gas. This took ~14 gallons of fuel (apparently, the tank is larger but the fuel idiot light was on and I decided against running out of gas), that's 24 mpg highway with some city cycle over 338 miles. This is with turbo-back exhaust and a protune.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
Yea, once my extended warranty runs out in April of '13 I'm going stage one, I see alot of people on the internet say they get better or the same mileage with stage one and two.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

Yea, once my extended warranty runs out in April of '13 I'm going stage one, I see alot of people on the internet say they get better or the same mileage with stage one and two.

Why wait? You can just flash back to stock if you need to bring it in.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
Well, I probably should go ahead and do that. I just haven't even done much research yet. What's the best stage one flash? Do I need to purchase an accessport? I am basically a noob.I guess I'll go check on nasioc and iwsti.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Open source flashing is cheaper and more flexible, but an Accessport is easy as heck and well supported.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

Well, I probably should go ahead and do that. I just haven't even done much research yet. What's the best stage one flash? Do I need to purchase an accessport? I am basically a noob.I guess I'll go check on nasioc and iwsti.

If you want simplicity, get the accessport and flash their stage 1 map. If you have a laptop you can use, you can go opensource and get a tactrix cable (for cheaper) and likely find a good stage 1 tune somewhere (I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction, I use the accessport so sadly I'm not up to speed on where the cool kids hang out.)

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Not necessarily Subaru specific but:

I need some window tint on my DGM STi hatch now that I DD it. I'm doing this for the preservation of my interior and trying to keep it a bit cooler in there while I'm working.

A Denver are shop that got good reviews uses Madico products. Does anyone know how this film compares to 3M or whatever is good?

Also, I was thinking of going with the legal limit here in Colorado of 27%. The film would be 30 or 35 but the owner said one installed the thirty is 27% transmission. I have no concept, is that stupidly dark? I don't want extra police attention nor do I want to look like a tool with overly dark windows and dark colored car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How are the cops supposed to determine exactly what grade of tint you're running at a roadside stop? I'd say you'd still get hassled getting close to the maximum.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How are the cops supposed to determine exactly what grade of tint you're running at a roadside stop? I'd say you'd still get hassled getting close to the maximum.

I don't know how prevalent they are, but there are handheld light transmission measuring devices I know they use.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Dang, I barely get 26mpg hwy in my WRX.

When I datalogged I was getting between 30 and 25 on the highway with cruise control at 60 so figure about 26mpg average here too.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Around here you can get a tint certificate when you get it put on.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Yea that's a good call. I have no intention of not complying with the laws. I'm worried that the 27% will look too dark. I might just go lighter because I generally think it will look more "factory" than some sicktor limo tintz.

I'm also weirded out by Madico. Never heard of them till today (although I've never given a poo poo about window tinting before, so..).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Quick question about the rear caliper brackets on an '02 WRX.

I know the front ones mount into the knuckle which makes snapping the bolt off really bad news. As far as I can tell from diagrams (it's been so long since I had them off, the rears are just threaded into the bracket right?

So, if I snapped off one of these bolts, the worse that happens is I'm out a caliper bracket but that's all, right?

I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the effort to replace the rear rotors. The pads need to be replaced and they are the original rotors on the car, but it's also not my every day driver anymore and I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble to try to replace them. I just don't want to snap off a bolt that's going to make the car un-driveable until it's extracted.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yes, and it's the same thing in the front. The bolt goes through the upright into the bracket.

That is a pretty unlikely thing to happen though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

jamal posted:

That is a pretty unlikely thing to happen though.

Eh, the one bolt I was working on was starting to get the tell-tale "I'm going to start moving to make you think everything is ok but just snap the gently caress off instead" feeling with a breaker bar. Looking around online, it doesn't look terribly uncommon to snap these bolts off trying to get the bracket off.

Keep in mind, 10 western PA winters and it's probably been 8 years since I last removed the bracket.

I'm just going to leave it be for now though. I just need the car to pass inspection, not look pretty. I'm a bit disappointed in the Akebono pads I had on there though. I can see from my order history that I put them on the car March of 2010 and they are shot already. If I was daily driving the car that would be bad enough since the first set of pads lasted me for 60k miles, but I got the new '11 just 6 months after I put those on. So, the car didn't get driven much.

I know I turned over 100k miles in December of 2009 and I only have about 117k on the car now. So, I only put about 12k or so on those pads and they are toast.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

Imperador do Brasil posted:

What kind of fuel economy do you see in your STi? I normally get about 24mpg mixed, and this weekend I put 300 miles on it mostly highway with 2 other dudes and my son in the car, with the a/c blasting, and I got 26mpg.

I've seen as high as 26 doing 65 on the freeway for extended periods but according the the car computer I usually get about 18 mixed since around here everyone goes 80 on the freeway. That's with a Cobb stage 1 ACN91 tune on crap CA 91 octane gas so you can probably do better if you can feed it the 93 it wants.

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

:allears:
Potentially new to Subaru and looking for "pro-tips."

The SITUATION: My girlfriend is looking at getting herself a new/used 2011 Subaru. Specifically, she's torn between the Forester or Legacy. She asked me to help her decide because I'm more mechanically inclined than her. Great... except I know very little about Subaru. To the internet I go. Currently I'm digesting a lot of material, but I though I'd go to "the" source and get opinions of actual owners, past and current.

What she's looking for: In a nutshell, what she desires will serve as a day-to-day commuter that is occasionally used for road trips. Wants include automatic trans, great gas mileage and an aux/ipod audio port. Currently she drives a 2003 Civic - a car she loves, it's just getting up there in miles and... she's getting the new car fever.

Specific questions:
1) Which model is superior in head/leg room? (She's tall... taller than me).
-Forester appears to have a little more room, albeit a lot more in cargo room, though the legacy is nothing to be ashamed of, especially coming from a Civic.

2) What engine configuration/model will get her closest to the Civic gas-milage she is used to?
-According to cars.com, one can expect 19/27 with the Legacy; 21/27 with the Forester, both non-turbo models.

3) Engine configurations - do the N/A models (especially in the Legacy) have "enough" power?
-I'm kinda concerned that the 2.5L H-4 in the Legacy is a SOHC whereas it's DOHC in the Forester. Wold it be more recommendable to get the turbo? I don't notice much of a difference in gas mileage...

4) Is there a difference in ease/cost of maintenance over time between the two?

5) When looking at gently used Foresters/Legacys, what should I be on the lookout for, both visually and in terms of miles?

6) According to NHTSA crash test data, the Forester does considerably poorer than the Legacy with regard to the "Side - Pole Barrier combined (REAR) and Side, Rear Seat impact." (Cars.com) Do I care?

Bottom line: for this application, Legacy or Forester?

As always, I truly appreciate goon input and, poo poo why lie, I can't wait to drive the hell out of her Subaru. :)

Edit: Spelling words :coal:

Nafix fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 27, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Safety Dance posted:

I don't know how prevalent they are, but there are handheld light transmission measuring devices I know they use.

More than you'd think in traffic and small towns that need money.

Remember that your window already has tint in it, and the limit is all the way through. Too many people get exactly the limit tint and are burned by that little extra tint in the window.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Nafix posted:

Potentially new to Subaru and looking for "pro-tips."

The SITUATION: ... she's torn between the Forester or Legacy. ...

What she's looking for: In a nutshell, what she desires will serve as a day-to-day commuter that is occasionally used for road trips. Wants include automatic trans, great gas mileage and an aux/ipod audio port. Currently she drives a 2003 Civic - a car she loves, it's just getting up there in miles and... she's getting the new car fever.

Neither. Look at the new Impreza. 27 mpg is nothing near civic like mileage, whereas the 36mpg of the Impreza is very much like civic mileage. You can get it with a CVT (if you really want to...) and it actually has more interior room (headroom, legroom, hiproom) than the civic she's driving now (although a small amount less than the forester or legacy). The Impreza will also be cheaper than the Forester or the Legacy and I think looks really cool with the new refresh. If she's happy with the trunk space of the Civic, the 4-door Impreza has .5 cf more than the civic and the 5-door can literally fit the world inside of it (49.7 cf with the rear seats folded down).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Nafix posted:

Specific questions:
1) Which model is superior in head/leg room? (She's tall... taller than me).
-Forester appears to have a little more room, albeit a lot more in cargo room, though the legacy is nothing to be ashamed of, especially coming from a Civic.
This is something you'll probably have to do a test-drive or at least head to the dealership and sit in their show cars to really ascertain. I'd guess the Legacy, but it seems like you're finding the opposite.

quote:

2) What engine configuration/model will get her closest to the Civic gas-milage she is used to?
-According to cars.com, one can expect 19/27 with the Legacy; 21/27 with the Forester, both non-turbo models.
The 2011 Forester has an all-new motor (the first truly new Subaru motor since '89) which should get much better fuel economy from lowered internal losses, better design, etc.

That said, the 2013 Legacy will have the same motor, and as Amandyke says, so does the 2012 Impreza (which manages to get 36mpg highway out of it).

quote:

3) Engine configurations - do the N/A models (especially in the Legacy) have "enough" power?
-I'm kinda concerned that the 2.5L H-4 in the Legacy is a SOHC whereas it's DOHC in the Forester. Wold it be more recommendable to get the turbo? I don't notice much of a difference in gas mileage...
It's not a big deal. Subarus are torquey down low where it counts so the naturally aspirated should be enough for city driving. If you really want to go fast all the time, you'd have answered this question already. :)

Note that a turbo will carry increased maintenance costs (shorter oil change interval, a requirement for premium fuel). A decent middle ground might be the 6-cylinder Legacy 3.0R if you really want more power.

quote:

4) Is there a difference in ease/cost of maintenance over time between the two?
Not really, but as I mentioned the Forester has a pretty new engine. So far it looks like it's somewhat cheaper to maintain and I haven't heard of any horror stories.

Subarus are pretty similar to one another - they generally have the same engine family, similar mounts, suspension parts, etc with some differences. They're roughly equivalent for maintenance unless you pick up something oddball like a Tribeca or SVX.

quote:

5) When looking at gently used Foresters/Legacys, what should I be on the lookout for, both visually and in terms of miles?
Look out for rust (from sloppy body repairs) and previous accident damage.

If you're buying private party I'd try to get as much maintenance history as you can out of Subaru of America - both cars should be well in their warranty period so they should be getting almost all of their work done at the dealer.

quote:

6) According to NHTSA crash test data, the Forester does considerably poorer than the Legacy with regard to the "Side - Pole Barrier combined (REAR) and Side, Rear Seat impact." (Cars.com) Do I care?
Are you planning on sliding the rear end of the car into a pole while the back seat is packed with people? If not, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I still wouldn't worry about it too much as the current generation of Forester has received really good crash test ratings otherwise since its introduction in '08.

The Forester chassis itself is somewhat outdated - they're supposed to be announcing the successor within the next few years.

quote:

Bottom line: for this application, Legacy or Forester?
I'd get the Forester for entirely subjective reasons. I feel that the Legacy has gotten too big and the styling in general doesn't work for me.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 27, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

While you're looking at cars, check out the Outback. It's got all the car-y-ness of a Legacy, with the ground clearance of a Forester.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

bull3964 posted:

Eh, the one bolt I was working on was starting to get the tell-tale "I'm going to start moving to make you think everything is ok but just snap the gently caress off instead" feeling with a breaker bar.

It might be worth it to you to pick up the cheap HF impact for something like this if you don't already have an impact. In my experience the "many-little-blows" approach of an impact goes a long way towards preventing rusty-fastener snapping compared to the continuous high-torque load of a breaker bar.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Jared592 posted:

It might be worth it to you to pick up the cheap HF impact for something like this if you don't already have an impact. In my experience the "many-little-blows" approach of an impact goes a long way towards preventing rusty-fastener snapping compared to the continuous high-torque load of a breaker bar.
It's a lot of work to keep a breaker bar from imparting some sideways force onto the fastener as well; an impact prevents that from happening.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I tried an impact on it first, didn't budge.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Heat, remove, and replace. Answer for most rusty bolts.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Alright so my N/A Impreza wagon is still making a knocking sounds from the driver side rear. Yesterday I noticed that it wasn't doing it anymore, but it was raining. This morning the rain is gone and it's a dry day and it's doing it again.

Any ideas now?

Checked bushings, firewalls, rockers and brackets. Anyone ever have this problem? What else should I look for.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sockington posted:

Heat, remove, and replace. Answer for most rusty bolts.

Eh, i'm not to worried about busting them off since the brackets are only like $25 a pop. I'm just annoyed as I would have liked to replace the rotors now instead of later.

But, inspection runs out at the end of the month and I only need to replace the pads to pass inspection so that's what is going to be done now.

Another annoyance is the stuck bleeder on the driver's side rear, rounded off. I suspect that's never being fixed outside of replacing the caliper. drat rust.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kolta posted:

Alright so my N/A Impreza wagon is still making a knocking sounds from the driver side rear. Yesterday I noticed that it wasn't doing it anymore, but it was raining. This morning the rain is gone and it's a dry day and it's doing it again.

Any ideas now?

Checked bushings, firewalls, rockers and brackets. Anyone ever have this problem? What else should I look for.

Shocks, sway bar links? Everything properly tight?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I think there is something wrong with this Forester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4MR9cAMHqE

So I'm gonna buy it, not sure the former owner was a big fan of maintenance.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Spun Rod bearing?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I think its all of them, every bearing.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Sometime this weekend I'm gonna bring it over to a buddy of mine and get it lifted so I can properly check everything. The knock only happens at slow speeds over small bumps but not at high speeds.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

bull3964 posted:

Another annoyance is the stuck bleeder on the driver's side rear, rounded off. I suspect that's never being fixed outside of replacing the caliper. drat rust.

Couldn't you file down 2 sides of the bleeder and use some vise-grips to back it off, then replace the bleeder?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Amandyke posted:

Couldn't you file down 2 sides of the bleeder and use some vise-grips to back it off, then replace the bleeder?

That's what I'm going to attempt to do eventually. I'm just not going to screw with it until after I get the car inspected.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Not necessarily Subaru specific but:

I need some window tint on my DGM STi hatch now that I DD it. I'm doing this for the preservation of my interior and trying to keep it a bit cooler in there while I'm working.

A Denver are shop that got good reviews uses Madico products. Does anyone know how this film compares to 3M or whatever is good?

Also, I was thinking of going with the legal limit here in Colorado of 27%. The film would be 30 or 35 but the owner said one installed the thirty is 27% transmission. I have no concept, is that stupidly dark? I don't want extra police attention nor do I want to look like a tool with overly dark windows and dark colored car.

NASIOC has a thread with a bunch of different color schemes and tint levels posted if you want to browse that.

With that said I have 35% VLT on my car and it's honestly the highest VLT I would go because any higher and I don't even see a point to getting tint. I can still see fine at night with the windows up too. I would guess that 27% wouldn't be overly dark or make you "look like a tool", the install place probably has some tinted windows sitting about to give you an idea of how it would look also.

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

:allears:

...Note that a turbo will carry increased maintenance costs (shorter oil change interval, a requirement for premium fuel)...

So do all Subaru turbo models, say 2010 to present, require premium fuel? What specific octane is required?

Also: thanks so much for the detail in the rest of your post... it has helped me refine what I'm looking at and give me a better idea of what would work for her. :coal:

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Nafix posted:

So do all Subaru turbo models, say 2010 to present, require premium fuel? What specific octane is required?

Also: thanks so much for the detail in the rest of your post... it has helped me refine what I'm looking at and give me a better idea of what would work for her. :coal:

All subaru turbocharged vehicles require 91 octane minimum, 93 as a preference if available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

Safety Dance posted:

While you're looking at cars, check out the Outback. It's got all the car-y-ness of a Legacy, with the ground clearance of a Forester.

Seconding this. Sit in the Forester, then sit in the Outback. You'll have your answer immediately as to which one you'll want to drive.

Lazor posted:

For any auto enthusiast that can only have one car the STI is the perfect choice. I use mine for autocross, rallycross, mountain road runs, commuting, and carrying the family around. It's not the best on gas but it's safe, comfortable, and roomy. I fit my wife and I, our two dogs, and my son plus our stuff for a weekend trip all in the car with no problem. If you need more space for stuff, it's a Subaru, throw a roof box on it!

Thanks, yeah I think for the criteria I desire, I may just need to tell my wife to deal with the cramped interior. I can't imagine going out and getting into a car I loathe everyday (wait, I do that now).

We went down to the dealership a few days ago, so she could see the SUV offerings. This is in Columbia SC, btw. They haven't had a WRX on the lot any time that I've stopped by, and still didn't. They also didn't have a Legacy GT, but amazingly had a BRZ sitting there. I sat in it briefly, and I think my 240 lbs is about 30-40 too much to be comfortable in that thing. The interior wraps around you like OJ's isotoners. The Legacy I sat in was nice but I don't think the interior size is noticeable enough to go that route. (upgrading for space)

I've never really paid attention to the larger Subaru cars. The Forester was pretty bland, but the Outback is super nice. My wife really liked it, but neither one of us like the way it looks on the outside. That leaves the Tribeca. I admit I walked past this thing like three times and didn't even notice it. I thought it was a Forester. It seems to have a third row of seats in the very back that absolutely kills any kind of roominess. Very cramped interior. Also, on the dash is this like 5" screen that I thought was a navi, but ended up just being a readout of the radio and gas mileage. I'm sure you can option a navi in, but on a car that was "on sale" for $30k, that's pretty loving chintzy.

Overall, I don't think any of Subaru's offerings will be her new car. She's pretty hooked on getting a new 4Runner, which I definitely have no problem with. I really wanted to choke the salesman when he kept shilling the CVT and fuel mileage, even after we told him that MPG isn't really a big selling point for us. I would be rich now if I had a nickel for every time he mentioned "CVT," "gas mileage," "safety," and the biggie "Symmetrical All Wheel Drive."

War Bunny fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 28, 2012