Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I technically went to the same university as Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Honky Tonk Man and I went to the same high school.

Not at the same time, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm watching WCW Uncensored 2000 for some reason and wow I forgot WCW tried turning Miss Elizabeth heel. Great idea.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I'm watching WCW Uncensored 2000 for some reason and wow I forgot WCW tried turning Miss Elizabeth heel. Great idea.

Liz was a heel longer before then. The Fingerpoke of Doom episode featured her falsely accusing Goldberg of raping stalking(?) her.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Liz was a heel for vast majority of her WCW run.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Speaking of rape, who came up with the DDP/Steiner thing? Because it looked like they closed a Nitro or Thunder on the idea that Kimberly was gonna get raped before the broadcast got cut off.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Great White Hope posted:

Liz was a heel longer before then. The Fingerpoke of Doom episode featured her falsely accusing Goldberg of raping stalking(?) her.
It was supposed to be a rape accusation, but Goldberg refused to go that route, so they changed it to stalking at the last minute.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

It was supposed to be a rape accusation, but Goldberg refused to go that route, so they changed it to stalking at the last minute.

That's why I scratched out rape. I knew that was the original plan before Goldberg went "gently caress off". I just couldn't recall if it was stalking or something else that they changed it to.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well it was actually "aggravated stalking" which is a real crime, although it sounds funny.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I'm working my way through Nitro from the start and Liz was heel even in 96.It never really worked and she never looked comfortable.

Also, the entire angle of her giving Savage's money to Ric Flair was dumb.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

They still had Hogan call him a "sexual deviant" and enough innuendos were dropped by wrestlers and commentators that they really didn't have to say "rape" or "sexual assault" for the audience to get the idea that Goldberg apparently tried to rape Miss Elizabeth.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
WCW Fall Brawl 2000 might be the stupidest opening hype promo I've ever seen. Any other contenders?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

triplexpac posted:

WCW Fall Brawl 2000 might be the stupidest opening hype promo I've ever seen. Any other contenders?

Great American Bash '91

The PN News variant.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
P N News was Mantaur's cousin. Funny that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

triplexpac posted:

Halloween Havoc 1993.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
TONIGHT! The build towards Uncensored 98 continues! Last week Raven and the Flock invaded a Stuck Mojo music video, what will happen this week? Macho Man and Sting teamed as they continue their feud with the nWo and THE GIANT returned to send a message to Big Sexy The Giant Killer (and big Depeche Mode Fan) Kevin Nash! Chris Jericho and Dean Malenko are seeing their feud heat up and Scott Steiner is evolving into Big Poppa Pump. Check it all out tonight in 10 minutes!

Then following Nitro: UWF FIRST BLOOD!!!!!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
oh WCW

quote:

In addition, they are going to take the mask off Rey Misterio Jr. in a mask vs. title match against Eddie Guerrero at Halloween Havoc. The Mexicans had been strongly against Misterio Jr. losing his mask. There had been office sentiment that the mask was keeping him from fully getting over in the U.S., and because he's got a good look, it would help him, although many feel he looks so young without the mask on that he'll look like a teenager and nobody will take him seriously. Either way, it's probably 18 months to two years too early to remove his mask because it could be built into something incredible if it's done correctly over time but nobody has any care or patience unless it's the top of the card.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rey didnt lose his mask against Eddie. That was Halloween Havoc '97

Rey lost it at Superbrawl IX in '99, which was about a year and a half later, during which WCW never really built up significance of a mask*.

Dave was double right.

*- Iron Mike Tenay's weekly Nitro spots about luchadores were only in the build to HH '97.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Didn't Eddie flat out refuse to win that match at HH97 because he was so opposed to Rey being unmasked? I seem to remember reading that being the only reason it didn't go ahead at that time.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mark Madden, former WCW commentator and horrible person, has been on tear making friend and influencing enemies:
http://hockeywithoutpropriety.com/2014/actually-its-about-ethics-in-hockey-reporting.html

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ayn rand hand job posted:

Rey didnt lose his mask against Eddie. That was Halloween Havoc '97

Rey lost it at Superbrawl IX in '99, which was about a year and a half later, during which WCW never really built up significance of a mask*.

Dave was double right.
Any trace of dignity in the unmasking was ruined by Kevin Nash and company goofing around with it afterwards.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

coconono posted:

Mark Madden, former WCW commentator and horrible person, has been on tear making friend and influencing enemies:
http://hockeywithoutpropriety.com/2014/actually-its-about-ethics-in-hockey-reporting.html

Mark Madden thought Jay and Silent Bob were so cool that he abused the poo poo out of a drug bum's catch phrase.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He would also regularly bring up CRZ on commentary to let the viewing audience know how much he doesn't give a poo poo about him.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

coconono posted:

What the gently caress is this

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

This is the least accessible article I've ever read on any topic. I don't know who any of these people are, what anything means or is related to, or even what the article is about. I now know less about hockey and journalism than i did previously

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I now know I can look forward to a podcast about intersectionality in hockey fandom but I wish I didn't

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Perdido posted:

What the gently caress is this

Actually, it's about ethics in wrestling journalism.
Is that the joke? Did I do this right?

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

I made it a goal to watch WCW, WWF, and ECW from 1993 to 2001. I just got done watching all PPVs, Clashes, and Saturday Nights from WCW in 1993.

The vast majority of it is not good. As far as television goes, on WCW Saturday Night, the highlights were the dopey WCW Amateur Challenge where people sent in home video promos. Every single one is hilarious.

2 Cold Scorpio had a cheesy dance video, Big Van Vader had Sting come to his White Castle of Pain in this Twin Peaks-esque promo video for their strap match. Big Van Vader and Sid Vicious also planted a bomb on Sting and the British Bulldog's boat in their promo video before Beach Blast. There is no way that 1993 WCW is not peak wrestling corniness.

2 Cold Scorpio and Chris Benoit are great wrestlers and I'm surprised 2 Cold didn't get a bigger push. He was over with the crowd, very talented, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does in 1994 and whenever he gets to ECW. Very good wrestler.

Rick Rude and Paul Orndorff are great heels. Dustin Rhodes is lucky he got out of WCW eventually because his character is a boring Dusty Rhodes-lite.

The entire year had 4 matches that I thought were legit great matches. Jushin Liger and Ultimo Dragon had a really good match at the WCW/NJPW show early in the year, Sting and Vader had a really good 4 corners/strap match at some PPV, Cactus Jack and Vader had a Texas Death Match at Halloween Havoc that was brutal and had a long, strange build, and Flair/Vader at Starrcade to end the year was very good. The promos Flair did leading up to the match were amazing.

Vader is the man.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
How did you not mention The Wheel and The Deal :colbert:

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

How did you not mention The Wheel and The Deal :colbert:

I wasn't sure if it was gimmicked or not. If it wasn't that was risky but it ended up producing an awesome match between Vader/Cactus Jack so kudos to WCW.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Burt Buckle posted:

I wasn't sure if it was gimmicked or not. If it wasn't that was risky but it ended up producing an awesome match between Vader/Cactus Jack so kudos to WCW.

WCW was bad at gimmicking these things. The first time, the wheel was not gimmicked. That's how we got the Coal Miner's Glove match. For Vader/Cactus it was gimmicked. Battle Bowl's random tag teams weren't gimmicked either I believe and they all ended up disastrous.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
The lethal lotteries were actually great because you ended up with insane odd couple pairings (Jushin Liger and useless strongman Bill Kazmaier), friend vs. Friend (Jimmy Jam and PS of the Freebirds on opposite sides) and really nuts poo poo like guys currently feuding (Sting and iirc Abdullah). It was interesting and exciting and lead to some refreshing mixups and cool solutions.

Also the matches themselves were largely hideous garbage. This is what happens when El Gigante, Van Hammer, 90s Freebirds, and young pre-buff Bagwell are all in the draw. To say nothing of running out of time and having round 2 be a battle royale.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Burt Buckle posted:

2 Cold Scorpio had a cheesy dance video

Was it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hml0Nu3X0s

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

LvK posted:

The lethal lotteries were actually great because you ended up with insane odd couple pairings (Jushin Liger and useless strongman Bill Kazmaier), friend vs. Friend (Jimmy Jam and PS of the Freebirds on opposite sides) and really nuts poo poo like guys currently feuding (Sting and iirc Abdullah). It was interesting and exciting and lead to some refreshing mixups and cool solutions.

Also the matches themselves were largely hideous garbage. This is what happens when El Gigante, Van Hammer, 90s Freebirds, and young pre-buff Bagwell are all in the draw. To say nothing of running out of time and having round 2 be a battle royale.

Thing is, you could still gimmick something like the Lethal Lottery and still end up with all that crazy poo poo. At least so you can make sure they can all work together or at least plan something out ahead of time. I honestly think the Lethal Lottery was a brilliant idea that really could work with some tweaking. Two guys feuding that are paired together and it leads to them losing. Or that they find some mutual respect for one another and become an antagonistic tag team. It could also be used as a way to start the split of a long-running tag team by having them on opposing teams. Etc, etc

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Burt Buckle posted:

2 Cold Scorpio and Chris Benoit are great wrestlers and I'm surprised 2 Cold didn't get a bigger push. He was over with the crowd, very talented, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does in 1994 and whenever he gets to ECW. Very good wrestler.

Rick Rude and Paul Orndorff are great heels. Dustin Rhodes is lucky he got out of WCW eventually because his character is a boring Dusty Rhodes-lite.

The entire year had 4 matches that I thought were legit great matches. Jushin Liger and Ultimo Dragon had a really good match at the WCW/NJPW show early in the year, Sting and Vader had a really good 4 corners/strap match at some PPV, Cactus Jack and Vader had a Texas Death Match at Halloween Havoc that was brutal and had a long, strange build, and Flair/Vader at Starrcade to end the year was very good. The promos Flair did leading up to the match were amazing.

Vader is the man.

Keep all this in mind once you start watching 1994 WCW and how quickly it all goes down the drain once Hogan shows up.
Nothing beats the Beach Blast and White Castle of Fear in terms of corniness but the Dungeon of Doom gives it a run for the loving money all the way through.

Also all the Lethal Lotteries were gimmicked by Dusty Rhodes.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Burt Buckle posted:

Luck didn't have much to do with it. Dustin got himself fired for blading.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Thing is, you could still gimmick something like the Lethal Lottery and still end up with all that crazy poo poo. At least so you can make sure they can all work together or at least plan something out ahead of time. I honestly think the Lethal Lottery was a brilliant idea that really could work with some tweaking. Two guys feuding that are paired together and it leads to them losing. Or that they find some mutual respect for one another and become an antagonistic tag team. It could also be used as a way to start the split of a long-running tag team by having them on opposing teams. Etc, etc

This is to say nothing of the last Lethal Lottery they ran, at Slamboree 1996. Every match had one of three stories (at least!); Enemies Teaming Up, Tag Team Split Up, or Tag Team Kept Together. Then they did TWO rounds of tag matches, followed by an 8-man battle royal. It's one of the most dreadful WCW shows, but not the worst by a long shot.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
1993 WCW is probably top ten worst years of a major company. I think the first half of 1994 though is really good.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Yes. It's amazing that wrestling goes from that to EC-F'n-W in just a few years.

Mean Gene namedrops Hogan right before Starrcade. I know the Hulkster will eventually lead to the legendary New World Order angle but right now I'm just upset that Hogan will be cutting into Vader time in 1994. : (

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's still bizarre to me that before WCW brought him back onboard, it seems that Hogan really was interested in leaving wrestling behind to become a bigger star in other media. And then he was "Hollywood Hogan" after a proven record of being box office poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

It's still bizarre to me that before WCW brought him back onboard, it seems that Hogan really was interested in leaving wrestling behind to become a bigger star in other media. And then he was "Hollywood Hogan" after a proven record of being box office poison.

Watching old Raws, Nitros and PPVs in the 90s is really funny if you pay attention to all the movies and TV shows Hogan mentions he's going to be in that either never materialized or failed spectacularly.