Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Can 2 people who have HIV have unprotected sex? Or do they both have to be taking drugs?

Why doesn't anyone who makes maps for public places rotate the maps to face what direction you are facing? It seems so easy and would help people get to their place faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

b0nes posted:

Why doesn't anyone who makes maps for public places rotate the maps to face what direction you are facing? It seems so easy and would help people get to their place faster.

It's more expensive to print/make each map at a different angle.

nesbit37 posted:

I am pretty sure all easy bake ovens are nothing more than a metal box with an incandescent light bulb as a heating element that makes things slightly larger than a cupcake. Just how big is this office they will be occasionally baking for?

The new ones have real heating coils which is more reliable / devoid of character, depending on how you want to look at it. The last 3 generations don't look like toys at all, which I guess was the idea here.
I'm sure no one would be pissed if the batch of tiny muffins or whatever only served 3 or 4 peope.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

b0nes posted:

Can 2 people who have HIV have unprotected sex? Or do they both have to be taking drugs?

I think it's not recommended because there's so many minor variations of HIV that there's a risk of the person acquiring another strain of it and making things worse.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Based on my buddy's advice, I am looking into possibly going to school for a Master in Public Administration. I'm just trying to figure out which thread I should be checking into for this. There's a federal government job thread, but I was wondering if there's one for more local government? The MBA thread is too far for what I'm looking for I'd imagine

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

b0nes posted:

This is a bad question. Assuming you mean "should" instead of "can" and/or "have to be"-the only legal requirements for people with HIV are to disclose their status to health care workers and partners. People with HIV are not legally required to take their medications.

Anyone and everyone with an HIV infection should be taking medications. People who are HIV positive should have protected sex to prevent coinfection with multiple strains which may be resistant/confer resistance to their HAART.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

b0nes posted:

Also doing this would probably confuse a far greater number of people, because while some people may find maps hard to read, the convention that North is Up is so strongly reinforced in every other way that maps are used.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Is there a way to set my youtube frontpage to display descriptions like it used to before the update? I have a lot of subscriptions that I do not read on a daily basis so it was nice that they were in rows by uploader. So why are they all now just dumped into a single column, how is this better youtube i mean seriously :mad:

also it used to let me click an [x] on recommendations to make them go away and let me only look at them when I wanted to. I'll google for this later, but since the update was yesterday... god, this is infuriating, why would they take away control of my own content and display it in a less coherent manner.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 3, 2011

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

ineptmule posted:

Also doing this would probably confuse a far greater number of people, because while some people may find maps hard to read, the convention that North is Up is so strongly reinforced in every other way that maps are used.

The Cycle Hire maps in London are rotated so forward is up - and these are the vast majority of public maps at ground level.

Small question: when does term end at Aberdeen?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I'm going through the "tell me about being a woman" thread, which is locked now unfortunately, but maybe it's answered later on in the thread, but I haven't reached that part yet. I am wondering if the motion of men having to take charge in the courting process is in the same boat as "women should be homemakers"? It's pretty much expected that men initiate, but is this a societal norm that should be countered, or do the reasons for this go deeper than it just being a societal construct?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

b0nes posted:

FYI this is called orienting a map. We were taught to do this when I was in Boy Scouts, and I'm sure other other groups do it as well when teaching people how to use maps.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Dudebro posted:

I'm going through the "tell me about being a woman" thread, which is locked now unfortunately, but maybe it's answered later on in the thread, but I haven't reached that part yet. I am wondering if the motion of men having to take charge in the courting process is in the same boat as "women should be homemakers"? It's pretty much expected that men initiate, but is this a societal norm that should be countered, or do the reasons for this go deeper than it just being a societal construct?

It is just another societal expectation stemming from the idea that the genders need to have segregated roles. It's not so much a social norm that "should be countered," as it is a social norm that shouldn't be enforced. If a guy wants to initiate, that's fine, and if a gal wants to initiate, that should also be fine, since it's not like there's any difference in the outcome of either anyway.

edit: segregated rolls :downs:

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
A

slow crow fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 12, 2013

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

aunaturale posted:

There was an episode on some show from a Commonwealth country where a kid pokes his penis head out in group pictures and explaining that's it's called _____ing.

Soon there were media reports worrying that middle schoolers the world over will be whipping it out for class photos. Anyone know the name of the show or at least the practice?
This sounds a lot like either We Can Be Heroes or Angry Boys by an Australian Comedian called Chris Lilley. They both feature the characters of twins (can't remember their names) and one of them (I think he's deaf?) gets his balls out in photos.

Can't find the exact clip, but is it this show?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LivQYAASojg&feature=related

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

SlightButSteady posted:

Does anybody know where I can get refills for a Spacetec pen by Diplomat?

(in centimetres)

I've used Google, GIS, and Ebay and see different looking refills than the one I have so I don't know if they fit.

Assuming you're in the US, just send their US distributor an e-mail. Contact Info.

I did this a couple of years ago looking for parts for a 20-year-old fountain pen, and they just happened to have what I needed, even though they're almost certainly not in production anymore. And they were quick and helpful.

If you're not in the US, here is a list of "International Partners."

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Underflow posted:

It's actually a hard front-of-mouth rolling German 'R', although pronouncing it like that in English c/would sound pretty pedantic, just like with other loan words. 'Oooorrr' is probably the best compromise between staying intelligible and showing them you actually know what it means :)

The prefix doesn't necessarily have to indicate the very first version of something, but most of the time it does; it's basically 'seminal'/'source'/'the one from which sprang all others - or took their cue'. Like Lowtax is the Ur-goon, but the Ur-text of something might just be the one that everybody agreed to be the best.

Thanks for clearing that up. It's always a bit awkward when you have to say words that you've only read up till then.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

Zenostein posted:

Assuming you're in the US, just send their US distributor an e-mail. Contact Info.

I did this a couple of years ago looking for parts for a 20-year-old fountain pen, and they just happened to have what I needed, even though they're almost certainly not in production anymore. And they were quick and helpful.

If you're not in the US, here is a list of "International Partners."

Holy crap that's awesome. Thanks very much for this.

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
B

slow crow fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 12, 2013

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
What do you call it when you twist up a damp towel into a whip and snap it against your target's thigh/ butt? My boyfriend just called it a rattail but I know that to be the redneck hairstyle in which a kid with a buzzcut has a thin long strand of hair in the back. Please give the region you heard the term growing up, he may have gotten this term from Florida or Texas. Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

PopRocks posted:

What do you call it when you twist up a damp towel into a whip and snap it against your target's thigh/ butt? My boyfriend just called it a rattail but I know that to be the redneck hairstyle in which a kid with a buzzcut has a thin long strand of hair in the back. Please give the region you heard the term growing up, he may have gotten this term from Florida or Texas. Thanks!

Ok know both the towel snap and the haircut as a rattail. Midwest here, mostly Michigan.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
"Rattail" is probably what I would call it in the UK. If it was a large, wet towel like you'd take swimming we used to call it an "elephant's cock" but we were teenagers in P.E.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

PopRocks posted:

We called them rattails in school in Florida. Same name as the ridiculous hairstyle thing.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
How does one tip at a nightclub? I don't drink often, but when I do, I usually drink booze that I buy from a liquor store and later consume at a friends place or something and rarely ever go out to bars or nightclubs. I'm going to a work function this week that takes place at a nice nightclub downtown and I'm not sure what the custom for tipping bartenders is. How much is customary, and do I tip after each drink?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

randyest posted:

We called them rattails in school in Florida. Same name as the ridiculous hairstyle thing.

I grew up in Florida, and I vaguely remember that being called a rattail as well.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
At bars, if you're paying with a card, you'll often "open a tab." This means that you give them your card when you first get there, and then tell them your name every time you get a drink. They'll keep track of what you order, and then before you leave, you have to "close your tab." They add up everything you had, ring it up, and give you your card/receipt back. At this point, you'll tip for everything you had over the course of the night. A good rule of thumb is $1/drink, but this might change depending on how fancy the place is, how expensive/complicated your drinks are, etc.

If you're paying cash as you buy drinks, you tip as you pay, either by putting the money into the jar (if there is one), or by leaving it on the bar (if there's not).

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Gravity Pike posted:

If you're paying cash as you buy drinks, you tip as you pay, either by putting the money into the jar (if there is one), or by leaving it on the bar (if there's not).

Does this apply at really busy/crowded clubs as well? I've only been to a few, but they've all been insanely crowded and chaotic and you pretty much have to take/pay for your drink and get the hell out of the way. Do bartenders split tips or should I give it directly to him/her?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Does anyone have a link to (what I think was) the original "issues in gaming" thread? It's not the currently active "Minority Perspectives on Gaming: Nothing a nice bath can't handle" thread.

IIRC it came off the back of the Duke Nukem Forever thread. Can't find it in the archives.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

OilSlick posted:

Does this apply at really busy/crowded clubs as well? I've only been to a few, but they've all been insanely crowded and chaotic and you pretty much have to take/pay for your drink and get the hell out of the way. Do bartenders split tips or should I give it directly to him/her?

Do you pay with exact change for your drinks? Just throw them an extra dollar, they know what they're doing.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Popcorn posted:

Does anyone have a link to (what I think was) the original "issues in gaming" thread? It's not the currently active "Minority Perspectives on Gaming: Nothing a nice bath can't handle" thread.

IIRC it came off the back of the Duke Nukem Forever thread. Can't find it in the archives.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3403990&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

Dudebro posted:

It's a form of societal control rooted in the idea that women don't have any independent sexuality but only start to feel sexual feelings when exposed to male sexuality. So women can't start courtship, because women are incapable of deciding that they are interested in a mate; they can only respond when the man initiates. In its 'purest' High Victorian form, the woman was supposed to remain completely unaware until the man made her a proposal, at which time she either responded (and accepted him) or remained uninterested and politely rejected him. Reality, of course, was enormously different, and class had a lot to do with the script, but this was (one of) the ideals.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
^^^^^
Thanks for that answer.

I was wondering if Marc Emery has anything to do with the United States besides being in a US prison? Is he American? Has he crossed the border and sold anything within the US? If not, then I am utterly confused about why he's in an American prison and why Vancouver police raided his business at the request of American authorities.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Dudebro posted:

^^^^^
Thanks for that answer.

I was wondering if Marc Emery has anything to do with the United States besides being in a US prison? Is he American? Has he crossed the border and sold anything within the US? If not, then I am utterly confused about why he's in an American prison and why Vancouver police raided his business at the request of American authorities.
He ran a business that sold marijuana seeds (legal to sell/buy in Canada) to people in the US (not legal to sell/buy in the US). He did this through mail order/internet order, so never actually left Canada. As for why he was extradited and whatnot, political pressure.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Does anyone know of any good sites like ancestry.com that are free?

Edit: Also does anybody have that photoshop of Obama with that comb mustache?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 5, 2011

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Trapick posted:

He ran a business that sold marijuana seeds (legal to sell/buy in Canada) to people in the US (not legal to sell/buy in the US). He did this through mail order/internet order, so never actually left Canada. As for why he was extradited and whatnot, political pressure.

That's mindboggling that a country would extradite its own citizen to another basically on a demand. Can someone please explain the logic or justification behind this?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Farecoal posted:

Does anyone know of any good sites like ancestry.com that are free?

Depending on how involved your research needs are, you could look for a local historical society, genealogical society or librart and see what databases they offer. The Historical Society of Pennsylvania, for example, has onsite access to ancestry for anyone using the research library. You have to either be a member or pay the daily fee to access the resources of the institution, but if you are not doing a lot of research that is a lot less expensive than paying for an ancestry membership and you have the reference staff available to you to boot.

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

Dudebro posted:

That's mindboggling that a country would extradite its own citizen to another basically on a demand. Can someone please explain the logic or justification behind this?

There really isn't any logic, it is seriously that loving stupid. It was the DEA that requested Canadian police to raid his office. He's there for five years because part of his plea with the US was he that would do time if the charges against his two friends were dropped.
Also, Steven Harper is serious hard rear end about marijuana because he's conservative.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Thanks, but I'm looking for the thread before this one.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm trying to figure out a rental agreement should say about splitting the rent in a share house, assuming three people were sharing a house and two of them were intending to share a room. Should it be "bedrooms are worth X each, it's your business how many people are in there" or "rent is split evenly regardless of how many people per bedroom"? Something in between?

I've only ever split rent evenly, but people tell me other ways are "standard" or "usual", but it just sounds like they're saying "Us two pay half, and you pay half" which sounds like a loving ripoff for the single person. There are people who think it's even more complicated, and want systems where bedrooms are worth X, including "spare" bedrooms, and you can have a couple in a bedroom paying X, a single person in a second bedroom also paying X, and everyone pays .33X for the third (spare) bedroom.

This doesn't affect me personally, I just want to know how people do it, since I've only ever split it evenly between everyone living in a place and other people think that's weird and unfair.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I mean, there's no one way to do it. I've seen a lot of people suggest splitting up the square footage, so they would pay more due to the common areas being split but less than double due to the bedroom being shared. I think that sounds fair but complicated, and if I were in a couple getting an apartment with someone else I guess around 1.5 as much as the other person would sound about fair. Utilities should probably be per person though, since 2 people do use twice as much water/electricity/whatever. Cable/Internet can kind of go either way.

An andectdote, though: when I was in college I was in a four bedroom apartment, but everyone had separate leases. Three of us had girlfriends who were over a good bit (probably stayed over ~2 nights a week) and the one that didn't whined that we should have to pay more. Normally I'd be someone inclined to be fair and maybe throw in a bit extra but he had friends stay over on our couch at least once a week, often more, which was a lot more of a hassle than us having our girlfriends in our rooms. He said that wasn't the same and we used the law of "there's more us than you" to tell him to gently caress off. So yeah don't be that guy.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

I'm trying to figure out a rental agreement should say about splitting the rent in a share house, assuming three people were sharing a house and two of them were intending to share a room. Should it be "bedrooms are worth X each, it's your business how many people are in there" or "rent is split evenly regardless of how many people per bedroom"? Something in between?

I've only ever split rent evenly, but people tell me other ways are "standard" or "usual", but it just sounds like they're saying "Us two pay half, and you pay half" which sounds like a loving ripoff for the single person. There are people who think it's even more complicated, and want systems where bedrooms are worth X, including "spare" bedrooms, and you can have a couple in a bedroom paying X, a single person in a second bedroom also paying X, and everyone pays .33X for the third (spare) bedroom.

This doesn't affect me personally, I just want to know how people do it, since I've only ever split it evenly between everyone living in a place and other people think that's weird and unfair.

It really comes down to personal arrangement. In every house I've shared, we've paid different prices depending on who gets bigger rooms etc, but not everyone does it this way. I personally feel that in the case of couples sharing one room, they each should chip in for more than just half the rent for that one room. Otherwise, like you say, the singletons get ripped off.

You just have to negotiate your own deal based on what everyone feels is fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

AlphaDog posted:

I've only heard of one or two cases of people actually using it, but the problem of "how should a bunch of parties split rent fairly" has been solved by mathematics. You just have to spend some time (maybe an hour? maybe a half hour?) in front of a computer answering simple questions of the form "if the rent divisions were like this, which room would you take?".

For the pairs of people intending to be in the same room, they can just act as one "person" as far as the algorithm is concerned, but they'll combine their earning power in the decisions they make.