Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Oh god, so many Elites.

This battle will pivot upon if and how many headshots occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

PoptartsNinja posted:

F1 King Crab IIC
Weight: 100 tons (Assault)
Mechwarrior: Pilot 1, Gunnery 0
Mechwarrior Name: Star Colonel Grier Seidman

Holy poo poo. The penalty for a headshot with a targetting computer is what, 5? That's not too bad when you've got Gunnery 0

Definitely hoping the Clanners aren't immune to their own jamming

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 22, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

UberJew posted:

Holy poo poo. The penalty for a headshot with a targetting computer is what, 5? That's not too bad when you've got Gunnery 0

Good thing he doesn't have a targeting computer.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

PoptartsNinja posted:

Good thing he doesn't have a targeting computer.

Oh, I thought that was standard kit for clan folks (that is a very good thing)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Leaping pony clan mechs? I know who I'm rooting for in this battle!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

lilljonas posted:

I called it the Pegasus for a reason.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

I assume the Exterminator's 6/9/9 movement is a typo and that it doesn't actually have IJJs, right?

I mean it would be really awesome if it did, but I'm not holding out hope.

Also this is a very solid lineup. Clanbuster King Crab, Royal Black Knight, Nullsig Exterminator... good luck guys.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hunchback and then the "King Crab IIC" in that order should be the preferred targets. oh and with the jamming you are all basically 3 piloting/4 gunnery units save for the goddamn 1/0 effective 2.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

UberJew posted:

Definitely hoping the Clanners aren't immune to their own jamming

You can't target the head with a TC. Can only target heads if they're immobilized.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

chutche2 posted:

You can't target the head with a TC. Can only target heads if they're immobilized.

This is correct. Even if you could, the penalty including immobilization is +5 or so, so the actual penalty would end up being +9 on a non-immobile machine.

Anyways, you guys should try to close the range. You have a solid amount of long-range firepower... for the Inner Sphere.

The Clans beat you in long range fighting. You have like 20 medium lasers and 12 SRM tubes. Get in close. Kick them to death.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Recommendation: plenty of space and lots of rough terrain, most of it on your side of the map. Set up a good crossfire and draw them in, but keep at range; by the sound of things, your 'mechs have an advantage over theirs so long as you keep your distance. The Clanners probably won't turtle up if you incite them, and the Exterminator is a good 'mech to do just that if they don't advance on their own.

Make the map yours and murder them.

Drawing them out is a good idea, but there is an 0/1 "KGC-IIC" on the map, which fluff-wise is probably actually the Supernova. If this is the case then no, they don't have an advantage at range; and in fact, the KGC-001 aside, most of the Level II is really only great at medium range and closer (especially the Black Knight, Exterminator and Flashman). Closing once the Hunchback dies is almost obligatory.

Additionally, closing in is the best way to neutralize the quads. Quads cannot torso twist; they are vulnerable to flanking. Getting up close and personal into a side arc is the best way to render them impotent.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 22, 2011

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

PoptartsNinja posted:

I called it the Pegasus for a reason.

Somebody's rear end is getting Sonic Rainboomed

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Fraction Jackson posted:

Drawing them out is a good idea, but there is an 0/1 "KGC-IIC" on the map, which fluff-wise is probably actually the Supernova. If this is the case then no, they don't have an advantage at range; and in fact, the KGC-001 aside, most of the Level II is really only great at medium range and closer (especially the Black Knight, Exterminator and Flashman). Closing once the Hunchback dies is almost obligatory.

Additionally, closing in is the best way to neutralize the quads. Quads cannot torso twist; they are vulnerable to flanking. Getting up close and personal into a side arc is the best way to render them impotent.
Well, then, use all that tons of cover. And don't close with them, make them come to you. The facility has a massive region without cover in front of it, so closing with them immediately would be the worst possible decision.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Well, then, use all that tons of cover. And don't close with them, make them come to you. The facility has a massive region without cover in front of it, so closing with them immediately would be the worst possible decision.

Actually, that's not a lot cover, if you look at it. They're on a Height 6 hill. Anything but standing immediately behind a 2 or greater height cliff is going to be quite hittable.

e: And given that they need to hold the HPG until their reinforcements arrive, while we need to take it and they have superior long range firepower there's no way to get them off the hill.

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 22, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think the quad is a Thunder Stallion, which means another AC/20.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

The problem is that they have no incentive to close. They have a range advantage and they hold the objective. They also have a very nice hill from which the entire battlefield can be commanded, so there's little reason to try to move up. I suppose it's possible they may try to advance, but if they don't, then what?

And for the record, usually against clans closing with them immediately is in fact the primary tactic so I'm not really sure what your concern is. The Level II has good armor and can generate good move mods, and there are obstructions in the way to allow for LOS blocking to an extent on the way in. On the other hand, most of the force can only do significant damage in close, and in close you also have the kick advantage. As best we can tell the Hunchback is the only good enemy infighter and it can get murdered fairly easily during the closing portion of the battle. On the other hand, if it turns into a standoff (which is likely if there's no attempt by the ComGuard to close unless PTN has some mercy), the ComGuard is at a significant disadvantage trying to fight a long-range engagement. You're not going to win a long-range battle against the Clans.

The way I see it, your plan would only work if PTN decides to make the Clan OPFOR terminally inept and/or insane. This is not inconceivable, but I also don't think it's entirely likely. This scenario and map seems designed to showcase the Clans' advantage in long range and skirmishing actions and I expect he's going to act accordingly.

Defiance Industries posted:

I think the quad is a Thunder Stallion, which means another AC/20.

I was thinking this myself, although it's not guaranteed - it could be a completely new design, or one merely "based on" the Thunder Stallion rather than an actual one. However, if that is what it is, it's an easily flanked AC/20, and it's also a bunch of LRMs, which means it can dish at any range. It could also be the -2 variant with the cLPLs, which would be even more annoying at all ranges but especially long range. The best thing to do with it would be to get into the side arc and blast it while it can't return fire, but that's not possible without getting pretty up close and personal.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 22, 2011

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
If we start shooting at the HPG relay wouldn't the clanners have to come out and face us?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Affi posted:

If we start shooting at the HPG relay wouldn't the clanners have to come out and face us?

Shoot the HPG? COMGUARD DOES NOT SHOOT ITS OWN HPGS

Hope the Assault quad is a thunderstallion... hopefully.

One good thing about quads is they don't generally have space saving measures equipped due to not having a lot of free crits.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
The idea of Comstar shooting its own HPGs would be like catholics burning down the Vatican. HPGs are basically comstar cathedrals and the entire point of the comguards is to stop people from loving with them.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

chutche2 posted:

The idea of Comstar shooting its own HPGs would be like catholics burning down the Vatican. HPGs are basically comstar cathedrals and the entire point of the comguards is to stop people from loving with them.

There is another method to prevent people from loving with them. They will completely trash the HPG and then get the hell out of dodge if someone tries to take one.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Fraction Jackson posted:

The way I see it, your plan would only work if PTN decides to make the Clan OPFOR terminally inept and/or insane. This is not inconceivable, but I also don't think it's entirely likely. This scenario and map seems designed to showcase the Clans' advantage in long range and skirmishing actions and I expect he's going to act accordingly.

CLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAANS. Tactical ineptitude is part of their charm.

That said, nothing else you posted was wrong. Get in close, call your targets and have everybody in the group stick to them. If you knock the armor off a mech I want to see that thing mission killed before you go applying your sandpaper to anybody else.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I just realized: WHERE ARE THE TANKS?????

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Honestly, getting in close is what your going to have to do with this one. They clearly outrange you, really, the only thing that doesn't is most likely the Hunchback IIC. Clan tech is jsut superior, your going to have to solider through and use their zell against them. Focus fire and take them down one by one.

The King crab IIC might not even be a supernova since it is reported to be a actual 100 tonner not a 90 tonner. This might be for fluff or it might be accurate. Eitherway, most 100 tonners the clans have focus on long range hard hitting weapons. So either way, your best bet is to flank and stomp him.

As for shooting the HPG, clans can build and use HPGs, so it wouldn't anger them much.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

King Crab IIC could be a Dire Wolf. If it squats a bit it'd be superficially similar from some angles I guess.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

lilljonas posted:

Is it ever wrong to root for the Clans though? Pony mechs are just magical icing on the cake.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Axe-man posted:

Honestly, getting in close is what your going to have to do with this one. They clearly outrange you, really, the only thing that doesn't is most likely the Hunchback IIC.

You are all making a very, very big assumption that the King Crab IIC is mounting dual GRs and not UAC/LBX20s.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tempest_56 posted:

You are all making a very, very big assumption that the King Crab IIC is mounting dual GRs and not UAC/LBX20s.

Or, you know, six ER Larges.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Tempest_56 posted:

It could be anything to be honest. But looking at the 100 tonners in canon games, most likely you are going to have lrms/gauss/er larges

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Defiance Industries posted:

Or, you know, six ER Larges.

4 RAC/20s

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Let's not go there. Rotary AC 20's are just silly.

EDIT: Anyway, apart from the obvious comment that there's going to be a Crab duel in the near future, we're going to have to play the wait and see game. I wouldn't be surprised if all the medium Clan stuff goes charging down into the jaws of ER-Medium Laser range in search of glory, honour or whatever it is Clan people need to get up in the world. But if they don't then you need to close in and hope that they don't shoot off anyone's head with all their cheating weapons.

Chicken Slayer fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 22, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
Assuming it's not a mission failure mode, I think ComStar should shoot the HPG.

Whatever the Clanners are trying to transmit, ComStar doesn't want them to send it. Ergo, a good way to prevent that would be to blow the mother up.

Plus, HPGs need really, really, really powerful generators which are likely to stackpole reeeeeeaaaaaaal good.

PTN: Is shooting the HPG a mission failure mode?

Remember, unlike what the Successor States think, ComStar actually can build more HPGs. I'm sure that if the Vatican offered some kind of massive strategic advantage in a war, that they would've rather burnt it to the ground rather than let some hostile power seize it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hey, how about a Stone Rhino/Behemoth? 100 tons, looks kinda crabby. If that's the case you're looking at 2 Guass Rifles, a couple of Large Pulses and a Small Pulse that you can mostly ignore.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

jng2058 posted:

Hey, how about a Stone Rhino/Behemoth? 100 tons, looks kinda crabby. If that's the case you're looking at 2 Guass Rifles, a couple of Large Pulses and a Small Pulse that you can mostly ignore.

poptarts isn't sick enough to give a 0 gun pilot a -2 to hit gun is he... oh right poptarts :ohdear:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

PTN: Is shooting the HPG a mission failure mode?

Yes. There are things they'll need it for.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Goonlance, you are the Crab. BE the Crab. By which I mean you're ComGuards, and in this timeline their unofficial mascot is obviously the crab whether they like it or not. And by Blake's bearskin bathrobe they'd better like it. I mean, even ComStar's logo kinda looks like a horseshoe crab which if not meaningful is at least kind of funny. And so long as the phones keep ringing, the ComGuards give no fucks.

Now look at Clan Hell's Horses. While the pilot of the fake crab has a Bloodname, those quads are the real X-factor of the scenario. Because they're ponies. Also sympathies in the thread might be divided and that's understandable. Because they're ponies. But gentlemen, you pilots will have to set aside any external sentiments and grab victory for the sake of the Inner Sphere. It's been a long time since Goonlance has won a mission whose objectives didn't involve literally getting our asses handed to us. And by us I mean you guys. No, you other guys. Honestly, it's a little hard keeping track and it's a very large pilot list. But that's beside the point, and also a collection of names. So sally forth! Blow some poo poo up, and not the poo poo you're not supposed to blow up because that would be horrible and funny but still horrible.

You are the king crustaceans. Give no fucks, for you should expect none. It's high time some poor ponies caught a bad case...

...of the seafood allergy.

Runa fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 23, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

T.G. Xarbala posted:

You are the king crustaceans. Give no fucks, for you should expect none. It's high time some poor ponies caught a bad case...

...of the seafood allergy.

You mean the ponymechs are going to devour the Comguard, and only after they are dead and gone suffer some slight and shortlived consequences?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Anaphylaxis is no laughing matter! EpiPens are lostech!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

b0lt posted:

4 RAC/20s

Fortunately not plausible - a RAC20 would soak up 12 crits and 16 tons per. Still plausible, but we're also talking about generating 42 heat per gun when at full rock and roll. Any mech that could handle generating 168 heat per turn and not instantly explode scares the hell out of me no matter what it's armed with.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

You mean the ponymechs are going to devour the Comguard, and only after they are dead and gone suffer some slight and shortlived consequences?

Is it better or worse that my original idea was to imply that the Clanners would have to rub piperonyl butoxide on their no-no-places after the battle?

Also the Lyran industrialist is right! I've a friend who's deathly afraid of accidentally ingesting anything that's touched shellfish. Scary thing is, allergies in the population seem to be becoming more common as time goes on, not less. Our children are the future, and the future apparently has an immune system that is a BIG JERK.

Runa fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Is it better or worse that my original idea was to imply that the Clanners would have to rub piperonyl butoxide on their no-no-places after the battle?

Also the Lyran industrialist is right! My best friend's deathly afraid of accidentally ingesting anything that's touched shellfish. Scary thing is, allergies in the population seem to be becoming more common as time goes on, not less. Our children are the future, and the future apparently has an immune system that is a BIG JERK.

I'm just trying to raise awareness. That's why Defiance Industries has partnered with Nashan Diversified's pharmaceutical division to match every kroner pledged to research on figuring out which end of an EpiPen goes where.

Defiance Industries and Nashan Diversified: Building a 300 Vlar fusion reactor in your heart. And it runs on caring.

• Locked thread