Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The cute ones with charms are tempting but I'd be worried it gets stuck on something they're scratching around in. That's another reason I was questioning the zip tie style ones because I wouldn't want the little nub to get stuck on something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Alterian posted:

Does anyone have any experience putting leg bands on chickens? I'd like to be able to identify them a little bit better since we have three of one breed and two of another. Some of the ones on Amazon look like they're just zip ties. I only need five and it looks like most packs are 100 or more.

We have been using these clip on plastic rings ever since we started with chickens (stupidly thought we would never be able to tell thee hens apart) and they've been brilliant. Only one hen has refused to wear them (Molly) adn they're cheap and come in different colours and sizes. [Queen] Pip is wearing a larger ring as her legs are way thicker than the average hen.

I've seen people with large flocks with rings on both legs.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I’ve been using the spiral kind. My local feed store sells them but they are also on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NJ2DBN7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yOchFb4RRD4SY

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

spookygonk posted:

We have been using these clip on plastic rings ever since we started with chickens (stupidly thought we would never be able to tell thee hens apart) and they've been brilliant. Only one hen has refused to wear them (Molly) adn they're cheap and come in different colours and sizes. [Queen] Pip is wearing a larger ring as her legs are way thicker than the average hen.

I've seen people with large flocks with rings on both legs.

Those are some chonky legs :3:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/wecrowinghens/status/1285336436376399872

Enfys fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 25, 2020

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

One of our friends just painted this for us as a housewarming gift:

Apropos of everything, right there.

Two of the three young birds I was raising up to join my four established hens, died this week. The symptoms indicated 'something they ate', which overall would be something the other five chickens managed not to eat. It'll remain a mystery.

Nugget is left. I was really disappointed to lose Marley, she was still the 'well if you're sitting down outside I'ma have to sit in your lap for ever' chicken, and my favorite. But, Nugget still has a sweet disposition and absolutely perks up for people contact. I still think I've got a friendlier bird out of it.
I'm disappointed about losing Stinky too, the RIR donated from my neighbor. I was hoping she'd grow up to be the big equalizer, to keep Ella's violent tendencies in line. At this point I am getting some chicken blinders though. If Ella's capacity for violence can be managed better, it'll probably help Nugget out all the more.

As she's big enough to share the yard without problems with the four older girls, she's not big enough to muscle into the flock yet, and I feel bad for Nugget being alone right now, so I think I'm going to scout about for any farms looking to let go of a 4mo pullet. Between the size and the age, I think I can get away with getting another same-aged bird to sub-flock with Nugget.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

For my girls I just used some small multi colored zip ties. Since there were only three, it was: right leg, left leg, untagged. I put them on when they were in their awkward adolescent stage and changing so fast it was hard to keep track of who was who. I just fitted them loosely, clipped off the extra and aside from a few pecks the first day they never caused any problems. I'd worry about ones that had extra things dangling off them - I can see those being peck bait forever.

Of course, once they grew to full adulthood it was easy to tell them apart, both visually and by behavior. Kennedy was always the fat greedy guts with the biggest comb and wattles. Nugget was the small, sweet one. Cluckface was the bold midsize.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
It'll be a few weeks before my coop ships out. It's coming by Fedex so hopefully it'll make it. I'm holding off on getting chickens 'til the coop arrives, just in case there are shipping delays.

Meanwhile I've been spending a lot of time looking at adorable chicken videos on Youtube to familiarize myself with the different breeds and ugh god they're all just so damned cute :kimchi:

I wish I could keep more than 4 hens. It's going to be so hard to choose when the time comes. Probably going to end up with a rainbow flock.

How young should they be when I get them, to maximize the chance that they'll be friendly to me and to each other? One of the local feed stores has some 6 week old chickams, but they'll probably be 8+ weeks by the time my coop gets here.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I scouted craigslist and found a hit for another four-month old chicken so Nugget wouldn't be lonely, and by 7pm I scored a clean-neck. She's so loving ugly yet cute it's great. Either she's a kinda runty 4 months, or the seller didn't estimate the age well, because she's almost a little bigger than half Nugget's mass. But, they're enclosed together for the night with no issues. The new kid is a bit nervous of Nugget, and Nugget is curious, but has made no aggressive overtures and absolutely did not chase her off any of the feed I left out for them. Off to a good start.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
What's a clean-neck?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lawson posted:

What's a clean-neck?

it's a turken, 5er just forgot the breed

5er
Jun 1, 2000

This is a clean-neck (gently caress if I know other names for it) -

Basically, feathers just don't grow on her neck.

Wife kept calling her 'scrotum', but I struck a compromise and suggested the name Penny. It's close enough to sounding like 'penis' that my wife's rather juvenile sense of humor is satisfied. She still resents me for not getting a more normal looking chicken, but you get what you get when I'm paying for everything.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
:ohdear: I sure hope a fox doesn't eat your precious little scrotum.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Are questions about other 'livestock' birds welcome in this thread? I've got chickens, but I'm thinking about getting some quail also. Unfortunately most information is geared towards people who plan to slaughter as soon as they're grown, so they don't much care about quality of life and just keep their birds in big storage tubs. Finding information on how to build an outdoor quail pen with the right kinds of shelter and enrichment is harder. Some places suggest buying rabbit hutches but I don't know how legit that is, and there's practically no info on how to keep them cozy through the winter (maybe move them to a shed?)

... I also want pigeons and ducks but those can wait until I've kept a second type of bird mostly alive.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

This is a safe space for quail.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

Are questions about other 'livestock' birds welcome in this thread? I've got chickens, but I'm thinking about getting some quail also. Unfortunately most information is geared towards people who plan to slaughter as soon as they're grown, so they don't much care about quality of life and just keep their birds in big storage tubs. Finding information on how to build an outdoor quail pen with the right kinds of shelter and enrichment is harder. Some places suggest buying rabbit hutches but I don't know how legit that is, and there's practically no info on how to keep them cozy through the winter (maybe move them to a shed?)

... I also want pigeons and ducks but those can wait until I've kept a second type of bird mostly alive.

you're going to have to put quail down inevitably kfbb. if you can't handle that, I strongly suggest not getting the little murderseekers. they desire death and frequently get hurt so bad that they end up needing euthed.

however, if you can, I recommend hanging rabbit cages with 1/4-1/2 spacing on the bottom. If you want to go absolutely nuts, build a greenhouse and set them free.

and factory farms are poo poo. but quail don't care much about their quality of life, either.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Oh, I was planning to have some of them be meat birds eventually, though it's unfortunate to hear they Crave Death. We had a lot of romantic ideas about letting the chickens free-range before it turned out they love to hang out in The Coyote Zone, so it wouldn't be the first time my dreams were quashed in the name of actual safety.

I love this Quail Heaven Now setup:

... but I can see how it could be less safe than elevated cages without a fenced-in backyard. Especially considering the issue of raccoons, and their grabby little hands. A greenhouse, though... 🤔

I don't really judge the people who do the less elaborate quail setups, we just have different goals. They want a steady supply of meat, while I want to look at the cool birds and eat tiny eggs.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

This is a safe space for quail.

Sadly, it's the only one.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Chickens got their first stroll outside the coop today, and Reggie was elated that he finally had a job again. Specifically the job of making sure all the chickens on the ground stay together.

Not 15 minutes after this was taken, the chickens learned they could just walk right through the netting I had set up. I didn't bother setting it up on the energizer because, surely these birds were too big to squeeze through. Wrong.

I took the fencing back down and Reggie and I spent a few minutes herding the chickens back toward the coop. After dusk, I was elated to find that all 18 birds had gone back in the coop and posted up on their roosts. I have reached a point in life where my greatest joys are when things just work as intended.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

ynohtna posted:

:ohdear: I sure hope a fox doesn't eat your precious little scrotum.

I was going to say that Scrotum is a perfectly acceptable name but you put it in better words.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

... but I can see how it could be less safe than elevated cages without a fenced-in backyard. Especially considering the issue of raccoons, and their grabby little hands. A greenhouse, though... 🤔

1/4" hardware cloth will solve that issue! Soon as I wrapped my quail coop in the stuff, the raccoons were thwarted.

Edit: You can check my post history for my past with quail coop setups. I never did anything super fancy (although I did cover things in fake flowers for awhile), and I always kept them elevated.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
So after getting my coop down to the legally mandated 6 birds per residential lot, I decided to celebrate by having the kids help me clean the coop. I discovered that one of my new Novagens ( we got a new batch of chicks at Easter) does not like going back to the coop after being out and in fact will not stay in the back yard. I found her in the nieghbor's driveway and I think that is probably the second time for this one.Oh that I would have sold HER to the nice lady instead of the other one. But the lady wanted to put it with a Polish that was nearly bullied to death by some Rhode Island reds in her flock next door, and the lady hadn't intended to get into chickens but her neighbor convinced her because she needed a home for the polish. Anyway I wanted to make sure the two hens I gave her weren't very spirited so the Polish she has wouldn't get beat down again.

Anyway I think it's time to build a 10x10 enclosure for them around the coop so the can have a larger space to roam without being let out, since I don't want to spend every evening chasing chickens.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
did somebody say quail

you would think i'd have learnt my lesson about "unsexed chicks" by now, but no. now i'm frantically searching for some hens to keep the lads happy. luckily it's not breeding season yet, i think i have a few more weeks before they all start screeching their sweet idiot heads off 24/7

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
As a chickam newbie, I was surprised to learn that you can order fertilized chicken eggs online, and that eBay is overflowing with them.

I decided to start with pullets though, since I can't keep roosters here in the city and don't want to deal with surprise roos. Just waiting on my coop to get here.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

snake and bake posted:

As a chickam newbie, I was surprised to learn that you can order fertilized chicken eggs online, and that eBay is overflowing with them.

I decided to start with pullets though, since I can't keep roosters here in the city and don't want to deal with surprise roos. Just waiting on my coop to get here.

Our feed store (TSC) explained it as "pullets" = 90/10 it'll be a hen vs. "straight run" = 70/30 it'll be a hen. Whether that's true or not, we certainly have lost that lottery repeatedly. So, good luck but be prepared for the emergency trip to the slaughterhouse once they start crowing. On the plus side young roosters are really delicious.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

snake and bake posted:

Lawson posted:

Our feed store (TSC) explained it as "pullets" = 90/10 it'll be a hen vs. "straight run" = 70/30 it'll be a hen. Whether that's true or not, we certainly have lost that lottery repeatedly. So, good luck but be prepared for the emergency trip to the slaughterhouse once they start crowing. On the plus side young roosters are really delicious.

From my experience, that's about correct. Though I have had better luck with some hatcheries than others. Cackle Hatchery has consistently been better about sexing their birds than other hatcheries we've ordered from. They've gotten it right about 96% of the time, which is pretty good.

If you're a vegetarian, I'd strongly recommend having backup homes for any wayward roos ready to go before you order chicks. That way if it happens, you'll easily hand them off instead of losing sleep because you're in violation of an ordinance. And don't be under any illusion that they're going to "go live a long life in the country," either. Unless you've got a rare breed that needs to be saved for reproduction, all roosters are eventually bound for the stock pot.

If you eat chicken, then I recommend reading up on how to butcher. It's not hard, and it's totally possible to do it humanely. It'll give you a sense of gratitude toward your food, as well. You'll also be astounded at how much better home-raised chicken tastes compared to the factory farmed stuff at the markets.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

My wife grumped a little that clean necks aren't the most productive at eggs, so I talked again with the guy that I bought Penny from last week. He still had both the marans I passed on, and would be happy to sell me another one.
The choice between the two was difficult at first, because I was torn between the one that had splotches of coppery orange on her neck, yet the other one was a very pretty black with a metallic green sheen to her feathers. The owner said he could make one suggestion that would help resolve the split decision- the one with orange neck feathers had pretty drat big wattles growing out for just 15 weeks, and that put the bird in a pretty uncomfortable 'might be a rooster actually' zone. So, I took the goth as gently caress bird.

She's on the left, without the hosed up mutant neck. We haven't settled on a name for this one yet. We had an hour left of daylight when I got home before kenneling them for the night (as is the solution for the fact that the established girls don't accept them yet and would probably destroy them in the proper coop). The new bird immediately shadowed Penny around the deck where we were keeping them enclosed for meet & greet (and possible lovely dinosaur scuffle control), they were thick as thieves from the start. Nugget didn't give a gently caress... probably after Penny's introduction less than a week prior, her little chicken brain just went 'gently caress it, what's one more' and she dealt with it.

I messaged the guy that sold me the birds to tell him how astonishingly quick the maran gelled with the other two, and he said it wasn't very surprising to him, as that particular maran and the clean neck were an inseparable pair prior to me getting them. At this point I feel extremely lucky that I apparently reunited two besties, and should ideally give them a great free ranging life together going forward.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i've bought a total of nine "unsexed" quail chicks in my life. of these, exactly one turned out to be a hen

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

fauna posted:

i've bought a total of nine "unsexed" quail chicks in my life. of these, exactly one turned out to be a hen

Yeah I would always bet on male if you're buying 'unsexed' chicks.

So one of our hens always seems to have a dirty bum now, we thought it was vent gleek originally and started bathing her but she seemed fine. I'm putting it down to the fact she sleeps in the nest box instead of perching now, not sure how to encourage her to perch as she just doesn't want to.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

...actually now i come to think of it, of the eleven adult "confirmed" hens i recall buying, only seven were actually hens

quail people are brigands

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

As far as I know, I'm the only ethical person who actually does not sex quail chicks when selling them unsexed. My folks usually got 50/50 or so.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

We bought 10 "straight run" chicks in early March. So far there were 2 definite roosters (sadly one was a completely beautiful silver Marans) and 8 hens. None have started laying yet but we got rid of the 2 roosters 2 weeks ago and no one is crowing or have big combs otherwise and are seemingly completely mature. By the breeds they should start laying in another 2 weeks or so.

Most of the birds left are buff Orps, silver or gold wyandottes, black Marans or cream crested legbars.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
My March Buff Orpingtons have just started laying. My one Buff rooster is really lovely and I plan to keep him. My two Ameraucana (Easter egger) roosters are really pretty but are absolutely infested with poultry lice... I don’t know what it is about them but my previous Am. rooster also had a bad infestation. Maybe they don’t bathe. We will be culling them tomorrow.

The hens and remaining rooster are getting a weekly spray down with Poultry Protector. :homebrew:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

As far as I know, I'm the only ethical person who actually does not sex quail chicks when selling them unsexed. My folks usually got 50/50 or so.
palming off roosters as unsexed is a lovely thing to do to the purchaser, but imo it's an even worse thing to do to the birds. people get vindictive when they're swindled, i couldn't bear the thought of them taking it out on the quail.

speaking of quail mistreatment, and poo poo, check out what i had to deal with today!

sorry for the blurry shot. those are blobs of bird crumble, feather dander and crap, all mixed together and coagulated over what appears to have been months to years into a kind of disgusting biological glue. i bought four newbies for a low low price this morning, and they all had what were basically rocks attached to their toes. they couldn't walk properly, and as you can see, the other toes that were previously encrusted have been just left until the lump caught in something and ripped away, taking the claw or the whole joint with it.

as previously mentioned i'm so weird about claws and nails and feathers that i can't even trim my dog's nails myself and it took like twenty lost birds for me to learn how to clip my quail's wings, so it was a nightmare. there were two injured claws in the process, because that poo poo is unbelievably hard and sticky. after two hours i finally got the four birds de-lumped, with lots of trial and error and trauma for us all. i had to soak their feet in half hot water half vinegar until the lumps softened (which they barely did), and then very carefully shave them off with the edge of a pair of scissors. it was not an easy task, especially not with quail that have never been handled. i was expecting them to drop dead from shock; but they didn't, so hopefully they have a long and happy life ahead of them. photos will come later, they're very handsome, but i think i've upset them more than enough for one day.

the person i bought them from had an amazing set-up and multiple species of birds. all the other birds were well cared-for and in excellent health. so what the gently caress! :gonk:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the most :psyduck: part of the whole exchange, in retrospect, was when they said they don't like breeding for size because "the birds end up with leg problems"

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Weltlich posted:

If you eat chicken, then I recommend reading up on how to butcher. It's not hard, and it's totally possible to do it humanely. It'll give you a sense of gratitude toward your food, as well. You'll also be astounded at how much better home-raised chicken tastes compared to the factory farmed stuff at the markets.

This is a million percent right. The chickens I raised are fattier, more tender and more delicious then anything I have bought at the store.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

here they come! introducing

ursula

rickie

nina

and oberon. i've been looking for a silver quail ever since i lost my last one years ago (rest in peace emmy-lou, slain by the goshawk that managed to trap itself inside her cage) so i'm especially happy about oberon. they're all lovely, walking much more easily without all that poo poo on their toes and enjoying what i think, from their level of squintiness, may be their first day in direct sunshine. i put moose in with them because he is submissive with his brothers and i still wasn't entirely sure he's a rooster, but he immediately challenged oberon to a duel, so that cleared that up. now friday is their friend and mentor

bonus powerful quimmiii

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is a million percent right. The chickens I raised are fattier, more tender and more delicious then anything I have bought at the store.

Speaking of surprise roosters in particular, I think it’s better for the bird to just be raised in one home and meet a dignified end at 18-20 weeks, rather than have the stress of going to a brand new place (or multiple places) to end up meeting the same fate. Unless he is a rare breed, most roosters don’t get a long life.

And if you have to slaughter any extra roosters yourself, YOU get to determine the how and when. I give them extra treats on the last day and then wait until dark to avoid any sort of stress from having to catch them.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Joburg posted:

Speaking of surprise roosters in particular, I think it’s better for the bird to just be raised in one home and meet a dignified end at 18-20 weeks, rather than have the stress of going to a brand new place (or multiple places) to end up meeting the same fate. Unless he is a rare breed, most roosters don’t get a long life.

And if you have to slaughter any extra roosters yourself, YOU get to determine the how and when. I give them extra treats on the last day and then wait until dark to avoid any sort of stress from having to catch them.

I call them names and insult their mothers.

For real though, I don't even eat meat and the best meat I get to work with is stuff we raise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

:swoon:

They're beautiful!