Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Joe Don Baker posted:

I'm not being serious here, but what task requires you to burn 10 discs a week in the year 2013?

Listening to CDs in my car? It doesn't have a tape deck so adapters are out, and my FM transmitter doesn't work well since it's overpowered on every frequency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

wheez the roux posted:

Listening to CDs in my car? It doesn't have a tape deck so adapters are out, and my FM transmitter doesn't work well since it's overpowered on every frequency

I want to see a picture of this stack of over 520 audio CDs :colbert:

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Legdiian posted:

I want to see a picture of this stack of over 520 audio CDs :colbert:

I just keep them on spindles, I'll usually pick out 10 or so when I fill up and set them aside for easy access. I do road trips ranging from 600 to 6000 miles on a fairly regular basis. They're also useful and make good mementos to give out when I'm in remote 3rd world regions where there are tons of old CD players but nothing that could play MP3s.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

japtor posted:

Turn off your screen :v:

(It's the screen backlight that lights up the logo)

Well, poo poo. It shines through the sticker I tried to cover it up with. Shucks darn.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
You know a new deck with a aux port would have cost leas than the CDs by now.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

I didn't pay for any of the blank CDs so I really doubt it! And either way I don't really give a poo poo since I have plenty to listen to and can always burn more, maybe eventually I'll get around to it but it's not a priority. I replaced the head gasket and two pistons in the fall before a 6500 mile drive, I don't really care to tinker around with it anymore right now, but thanks for telling me what to do with my car I guess

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Joe Don Baker posted:

I'm not being serious here, but what task requires you to burn 10 discs a week in the year 2013?

I don't use Apple hardware for it, or any sort of thin or external burner, but one of my tasks at my job (Software Company) is to make master discs of all the software we publish to send to a reproduction facility. Of course that is all done with .isos and other proprietary disc image formats between me and the replicator, but I'll be damned if high level managers and executives don't want a physical copy to sign off on before giving their approval to ship.

Just saying that there are some workflows that involve spindle after spindle of plastic discs in 2013.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

I (e:used to) do seasonal work at a camp too, and at the end of each 2 week session we would send every kid home with a CD full of photos, songs, videos, etc. There are still plenty of uses for disks.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a good desktop stand for my Macbook Air. All I know about is this HiRise thing. Any better options?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looks so complicated. I prefer the Griffin Elevator.

Actually everything from Twelve South look over-engineered.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bummey posted:

Well, poo poo. It shines through the sticker I tried to cover it up with. Shucks darn.
I'm guessing it'd be too much of a pain in the rear end to try, but I remember people opening up their screens and doing stuff from the inside.

As far as blocking it out, I guess try electrical or duct tape if you don't mind the residue it'll eventually leave behind.

wheez the roux posted:

I (e:used to) do seasonal work at a camp too, and at the end of each 2 week session we would send every kid home with a CD full of photos, songs, videos, etc. There are still plenty of uses for disks.
"But my Mac at home doesn't have a CD drive :confused:"

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

You vastly overestimate both the market share of Macs and the modernity of most home computers. Which I'm sure you knew, so is there a point you're making?

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 17, 2013

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really don't know why so many of you are dedicated to telling this guy to stop using CDs. Who gives a poo poo?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

fleshweasel posted:

I really don't know why so many of you are dedicated to telling this guy to stop using CDs. Who gives a poo poo?

It was one of the reasons I got a cmbp instead of the retina.

I am a dinosaur too. D:

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Mu Zeta posted:

Looks so complicated. I prefer the Griffin Elevator.

I use a Griffin Elevator and it does a decent job. But it's kind of cool that you can adjust the height of the Hi Rise thing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wheez the roux posted:

You vastly overestimate both the market share of Macs and the modernity of most home computers. Which I'm sure you knew, so is there a point you're making?
No, it was a joke :effort:

(...and as for myself, I have an external BD drive for occasionally ripping movies and yes, even burning CDs!)

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I just picked up the refreshed Retina MBP 15" and drat does it look good. I could tell a difference in store, but once sit down and get to using it, it really starts to shine.

I have a ton of games in steam library that are Steam Play compatible, but I never got to try any of them out on my MBA. Will the 650M run about anything, or is there a limit? I thinking about putting The Witcher 2 on here, but even my newish (windows) desktop had some issues with it.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ephori posted:

Ugh. I was hoping just the topcase and maybe a panel or something. Not looking forward to that, but what are you gonna do. Is this normally something where I'd have to wait for parts to be ordered?

If they want $1300 then I think you should do is consider selling it and buying a new one. They only cost 2k new and I'm sure if it works except for the trackpad someone would be happy to pay over $700 if nothing else as Mac Mini.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I just picked up the refreshed Retina MBP 15" and drat does it look good. I could tell a difference in store, but once sit down and get to using it, it really starts to shine.

I have a ton of games in steam library that are Steam Play compatible, but I never got to try any of them out on my MBA. Will the 650M run about anything, or is there a limit? I thinking about putting The Witcher 2 on here, but even my newish (windows) desktop had some issues with it.

The 650 is pretty strong. Install Win 7 on bootcamp and get razer game booster.

http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster

You'd guess it was hookus pookus but it doubles my FPS for most games.

I can now play Hard Reset at 1080p with good settings at 60fps. The rMBP also played Borderlands 2 with medium settings without a hiccup.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Stick100 posted:

The 650 is pretty strong. Install Win 7 on bootcamp and get razer game booster.

http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster

You'd guess it was hookus pookus but it doubles my FPS for most games.

I can now play Hard Reset at 1080p with good settings at 60fps. The rMBP also played Borderlands 2 with medium settings without a hiccup.

Man, I was hoping to avoid bootcamp this time around. Windows feels screwy on a mac to me. Are the OSX ports that bad?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I never had problems with OSX ports but I guess it depends on the game.

Some ports basically emulate some windows libraries to get them to run, but in my experience, any of the big Steam titles are fine. Starcraft/Diablo/Source games/Civ5, all perfect.

You might see problems with using a 3rd party program like CrossOver though.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Man, I was hoping to avoid bootcamp this time around. Windows feels screwy on a mac to me. Are the OSX ports that bad?
It's not that the OS X ports are bad, it's that Win versions are so good; this was the native dev platform of the project and you're shorting yourself if you don't benefit from all of that QA time. Plus your entire Steam library list lights up in Windows, mine only shows like 7% availability in OS X (which is still great).

Very curious about Game Booster, though. Thanks Stick100.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Is the spec bump the rMBPs got likely to help with the responsiveness issues that some have reported?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The issues are caused by the Intel HD4000 graphics, and that hasn't changed. I tried out the 15" Retina for about 20 minutes the other day and didn't notice any lag.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MrChupon posted:

Is the spec bump the rMBPs got likely to help with the responsiveness issues that some have reported?

No, it's just an minimal spec bump because Intel has slightly revised chips out. It's a 100MHz boost for most models, though.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Is there a goon recommended shell for the 13" air? The Moshi iGlaze and the Speck both seem fine, but I was wondering if there's a better alternative. I don't really care about how it looks (as long as it doesn't mess with the function), I just want something that will keep my $1400 purchase from exploding. Should I bother with these mousepad/keyboard covers?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

chumpchous posted:

Is there a goon recommended shell for the 13" air? The Moshi iGlaze and the Speck both seem fine, but I was wondering if there's a better alternative. I don't really care about how it looks (as long as it doesn't mess with the function), I just want something that will keep my $1400 purchase from exploding. Should I bother with these mousepad/keyboard covers?

Some people think the cases don't let the machine breathe or radiate heat and don't like the wear marks they can leave. The Speck ones have pretty bad reviews, chipping or cracking etc.

Are you okay with using a sleeve? You just have to remember to put it back in the sleeve when you're done.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bob Morales posted:

Some people think the cases don't let the machine breathe or radiate heat and don't like the wear marks they can leave. The Speck ones have pretty bad reviews, chipping or cracking etc.

Are you okay with using a sleeve? You just have to remember to put it back in the sleeve when you're done.

Yeah, if that's considered responsible use, I have no problem just using a sleeve. I've just totally abused and broken every laptop I've ever made, and I want to be responsible. I'll just go with a sleeve.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

chumpchous posted:

Yeah, if that's considered responsible use, I have no problem just using a sleeve. I've just totally abused and broken every laptop I've ever made, and I want to be responsible. I'll just go with a sleeve.

I really like Waterfield Designs, noticeably more expensive than a Ebay sleeve but nicer quality/design quality:
http://www.sfbags.com/

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Binary Badger posted:

Those 'random' places are their service depots, which are reasonably secure.

FYI, it even says in AppleCare agreements that YOU, and YOU alone are responsible for your data, Apple will take absolutely no responsibility for it.

Most Geniuses are required to ask you if you backed up your data first; somewhere along the line they may make you sign a form where you agree to them not being responsible for the data, if you ever want Apple to perform service on your machine. If, in this day and age, you do your work without having established a backup system (remember Time Machine?) Apple considers it your fault.

Apple does have a partnership with Drive Savers or some other data recovery company, should you want your work recovered if your media is shot to hell.

I get this, but with any PC laptop I can just take the disk out, put it in a usb caddy and get at the data. There's no way to do that with any modern Mac.

In the corporate world, if I had a thinkpad I could get my old drive swapped into a new laptop in about 5 minutes and be working again. A timemachine backup taken nightly will lose a days progress + require a bunch of restore time.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Joe Don Baker posted:

When you take a computer in for service, there's several points where the user has to consent to anything, which includes warning them about their data. This is done when the Apple Service Toolkit is done, which has to be done first to initiate any sort of hardware repair. The owner also is supposed to sign a waiver or whatever before it's actually taken away or sent out to a depot for repair.

If you're that paranoid, do a Time Machine backup and secure wipe the hard drive.

Why do I care that apple deny any resposibility for people's data? No-one has any choice about consenting if they don't want to just give up and buy a new Macbook. The last time I took a Macbook in I just took the drive out first.

If my Macbook stops booting, I can't backup or wipe the data, and I have no choice but to send it all to Apple and hope for the best. If I could pop out the SSD all would be well. This seems like an engineering problem that can be solved pretty easily, honestly.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Logikv9 posted:

pinky finger on shift and ring finger on z.

This is horrible typing form, you have two shift keys, use the one under your right hand.

Logikv9 posted:

Cmd+q or cmd+anything is annoying because the keys are too close. when I have to click them my fingers try to go under each other and results in a clusterfuck of tangled fingers.

SourKraut posted:

This. Ctrl+C (or V) just feels better because the spacing seems natural/right between the pinky and index fingers (at least for me). When people try to argue for Cmd+C/V being better, it reminds me of when people tried to argue that the one-buttoned mouse was better...

I seriously can't believe that you use you pinky finger to press Cmd - it's right under your thumb. Pressing Cmd with your thumb allows you to keep all your fingers on the home row.

The standard Ctrl key location is known to be awful for ergonomics (keyboards didn't have it there when most shortcuts were invented) and there's a whole ton of health problems caused by it in programmers.

I don't actually use a Mac right now, but the keyboard mapping and standard global shortcuts are clearly better than a PC - windows or linux. I now re-map all my PCs to match the Mac layout: Ctrol on the alt key, alt on the Windows key. (Plus I change capslock into an Escape key, for Vim).

The only thing that could make the Mac layout even better for me would be shortening the spacebar further and moving all the modifier keys in even more.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

wooger posted:

If my Macbook stops booting, I can't backup or wipe the data, and I have no choice but to send it all to Apple and hope for the best. If I could pop out the SSD all would be well. This seems like an engineering problem that can be solved pretty easily, honestly.
You need a $7 screwdriver but you can take the HD out of any Mac before you take it in to the store. Unless it's an iMac then you have to do that thing with a guitar pick or something...

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

The issues are caused by the Intel HD4000 graphics, and that hasn't changed. I tried out the 15" Retina for about 20 minutes the other day and didn't notice any lag.

Here's a question for those with 15" rMBPs. If you force it to always use the dedicated GPU, does this screen lagginess go away? Or is the nvidia card not up to snuff either?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

This lag you speak of on the rMPB occurs when you're not in a default res, right? Is it that OS frames have to be resized in a buffer before being displayed? I wonder if 10.9 will somehow circumvent that. I also wonder if it's any worse, or the same, on the 13" rMBP.

Baseless speculation time. According to Anand, 13" rMBP battery is 74 Wh and 13" Air is 50 Wh. Let's pretend that Haswell will use half the power as Ivy Bridge in an ULV config, and somehow retina displays are more efficient since last year. This might allow a retina Air launch in Q3 and the physical dimensions don't change. I doubt it'd be more than $1350, looking at 13" rMBP. In fact aside from 3 more (redundant) ports, feature-wise it seems like the same computer. I am betting it'll stay 2-core, and that the 13" rMBP might go quad-core? Anyway, I can't think of a better all-purpose portable computer for traditional mouse/keyboard apps, and am going to commence pinching my pennies for a retina Air. It would be so nice if they simply replaced it a la iPad 2->3 with a bold "okay, retina henceforth in this line" maneuver.

It's hard for me to imagine they'd make the Air thicker after all the manilla-envelope "thinnest" hubbub of years past, though, which means waiting.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

kuskus posted:

Very curious about Game Booster, though. Thanks Stick100.

That came from the Planetside 2 thread (in games) but it really just about doubled my frames in several different games. It must be stopping some horrid windows system services.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kuskus posted:

Baseless speculation time. According to Anand, 13" rMBP battery is 74 Wh and 13" Air is 50 Wh. Let's pretend that Haswell will use half the power as Ivy Bridge in an ULV config...

Keep in mind that the battery life of the Air never really changed as it went from a C2D to Sandy to Ivy.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Is it insane that I want to buy an 11" air refurb to travel with because I dislike the idea of lugging my 15" 2011 Pro around europe? I already have an iPad but kind of want a Mac for photos and iTunes content syncing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MrBond posted:

Is it insane that I want to buy an 11" air refurb to travel with because I dislike the idea of lugging my 15" 2011 Pro around europe? I already have an iPad but kind of want a Mac for photos and iTunes content syncing.

The 11" is awesome. Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

MrBond posted:

iTunes content syncing.

Make sure you get a 128 GB version if your iTunes library has a poo poo load of apps/music/movies like mine does.