Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hat Thoughts posted:

"a commentary on body image" or "The appearance and weight of the average American" is immaterial to my point which is that casting (skinny) Zach Galifanaikis and especially Isla Fisher kills the physical gag. It is significantly less funny than it could be because, for example in that changing room scene where you have Gal Gadot towering over her& then Isla Fisher makes a joke about how the most excitement she has is a terrible sex life (that her character doesn't realize is a joke[?]) none of it reads as funny as it could because Isla Fisher is still very good looking. This isn't something new or unexpected, I mean it's a big budget movie of course they're not going to actually cast someone normal looking, it's like every bad rom-com ever where you have the attractive "unattractive" girl/guy & then the conventionally attractive conceited girl/guy (who's all wrong for the protagonist, duhh).
But it bugs me that they rely so centrally on the contrast as a joke since it doesn't really work but they're so close with Gal Gadot who is so totally insane looking.

I think it's less "ugly girl vs hot girl" and more "working busy as poo poo mom and dad vs exotic playboy spy family who get to do fun poo poo."

The joke you mention has nothing to do with looks but the freedom their relationships offer them (or doesn't because of kids) in regards to sex. Nothing to do with looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonoMan posted:

I think it's less "ugly girl vs hot girl" and more "working busy as poo poo mom and dad vs exotic playboy spy family who get to do fun poo poo."

The joke you mention has nothing to do with looks but the freedom their relationships offer them (or doesn't because of kids) in regards to sex. Nothing to do with looks.
Yeah, I have to agree. The main difference between the two couples is that one has accrued a decade of rather mundane responsibilities, while the other lives an exotic playboy spy lifestyle as you say. Which also means that Fisher's character might not have been that different from Gadot's (at least the front she puts up) a decade earlier, and the whole spying on them is caused by a mix of nostalgia and envy. In that case, having her played by an older but still attractive actress makes perfect sense, whereas an actress which had clearly never been anywhere near the same league as Gadot would make the joke much more about simple envy of her being so much hotter and not the fact that Fisher's character misses being able to just go out and have fun.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yep, was just about to post that. The joke is about being a parent and settled down, not being fat and ugly.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Zzulu posted:

Tom Cruise movies are great and he's a good and charismatic actor who brings a lot of energy to scenes

who cares if he's nuts, most of hollywood is nuts

I understand people making fun of Scientology, it is legitimately weird, but from everything I've read Tom Cruise is unfailingly polite to everyone. I think about when that comedian squirted him with a water gun at a premier, and instead of having him hauled out by security or engaging him physically he engages him in a conversation about how rude it was.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH2BD49sEZI

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shillary posted:

I understand people making fun of Scientology, it is legitimately weird, but from everything I've read Tom Cruise is unfailingly polite to everyone. I think about when that comedian squirted him with a water gun at a premier, and instead of having him hauled out by security or engaging him physically he engages him in a conversation about how rude it was.

Adam Carolla has a story where Tom Cruise was invited to Jimmy Kimmel's annual Superbowl party.

He arrived with his mum and a bunch of cupcakes for everyone.

Tom Cruise basically is the nicest guy in all of Hollywood.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Vintersorg posted:

Adam Carolla has a story where Tom Cruise was invited to Jimmy Kimmel's annual Superbowl party.

He arrived with his mum and a bunch of cupcakes for everyone.

Tom Cruise basically is the nicest guy in all of Hollywood.

Except for the slave thing

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

morestuff posted:

Except for the slave thing

And the Scientology thing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
In case you guys don't know it, the version of Scientology that celebs get is completely different from what the rank-and-file get. If you've ever been pitched on Scientology, you know it starts out very nice. For celebs, that part basically never ends.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Slave?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

http://gawker.com/5757217/tom-cruises-favorite-toys-were-built-for-free-by-scientology-slaves

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

In case you guys don't know it, the version of Scientology that celebs get is completely different from what the rank-and-file get. If you've ever been pitched on Scientology, you know it starts out very nice. For celebs, that part basically never ends.

While that may be true for most the fact is Cruise is like top 5 in the Scientology hierarchy and turns a blind eye to what he absolutely is aware of in regards to basically human rights abuses. That being said I've met him and he's great and I love his films. You can't excuse the Scientology thing though with oh it's a wacky religion all Hollywood people are weird or say all religions are bad or some sort of slavery. The things happening in Scientology are unique and completely unacceptable in 2016. /soapbox

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Do really think he's aware of that stuff though? I know a thing or two about wacky religions, and when you get that deep in it, you don't see any problems at all.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Leah Remini would disagree on that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
John Travolta too. Apparently he wanted out years ago but they have so much poo poo on him they would completely ruin him. So now he just shuts up and puts on a happy face.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do really think he's aware of that stuff though? I know a thing or two about wacky religions, and when you get that deep in it, you don't see any problems at all.

Considering the coverage and exposure given to the many issues of Scientology I'd say, yes he is well aware.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

On the topic of Scientology, yeah, I would definitely suggest that everybody try to watch that HBO documentary about it. The "Celebrities don't see the full awfulness of the church" thing isn't quite the case.

Just ask Paul Haggis and some of his pals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixgd38EZIR0

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

On the topic of Scientology, yeah, I would definitely suggest that everybody try to watch that HBO documentary about it. The "Celebrities don't see the full awfulness of the church" thing isn't quite the case.

Just ask Paul Haggis and some of his pals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixgd38EZIR0

Well, there are "celebrities" and there is Tom Cruise.

In other news
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-P3f_wDXvs
Mechanic Resurrection trailer. Watching this I just don't understand why it was made. It completely loses the whole angle that made the first movie kind of unique (Statham showing Ben Foster the ropes) and is just another Statham face puncher.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Starring Jason Statham as......Jason Statham.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Oh I'm totally in for this. Loved the first one and found it fairly humorous with how Reacher is in it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tom cruise is like michael jackson in that they both are/were terrible people but really good at producing entertaining media.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The prequel to Ouija by the director of Oculus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJIcZGEjjwo

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They need to stop using the song Mad World in trailer . This looks intersting but this song is terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAAqiO_Z9Vs

American Pastoral

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I think most people would assume the original is a cover at this point

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Hollismason posted:

They need to stop using the song Mad World in trailer . This looks intersting but this song is terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAAqiO_Z9Vs

American Pastoral

Agreed. Twee/overwrought covers of 80s standards is beyond insipid at his point.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Automatic Slim posted:

Agreed. Twee/overwrought covers of 80s standards is beyond insipid at his point.

yeah, its really going nowhere, going nowhere

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Automatic Slim posted:

That's a cover of a 2000 song >:)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They filmed American Pastoral? I hope they include the story about the kid who tried to make his crush a fur coat by killing guinea pigs and drying them out over the boiler.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

That's a cover of a 2000 song >:)

Indeed.

https://youtu.be/SFsHSHE-iJQ

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Ya all the covers are in the style of the Gary Jules version, its like Tainted Love or That's What Friends Are For or Girls Just Wanna Have Fun etc at this point.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Timby posted:

It's not surprising that as he's matured and gotten older, his innate ... weirdness has faded away and he's now having to fake it because it doesn't come naturally anymore.

So he's basically the Marilyn Manson of directors, without the anti-religious edge?

I wouldn't say he's gotten bad at telling the same story, but he's certainly been guilty of adding his own "faux goth" style to every drat movie he makes. Plus having Depp and Carter in every-loving-thing gets pretty old too - nothing against them but Burton needs to step out of his little wanna-be dark and brooding Hot Topic plastic coffin and expand his range.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The poster thread and the trailer thread are talking about cues. I wonder if we should have a music in film thread.

I feel like some goons notice music in film way more than I do. Like some people will have movies ruined for them based on the score. I don't even notice usually.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Since I know how goons love their Beksinski, here's a teaser for the movie about the tumultuous life of Zdzislaw Beksinski (the painter) and Tomasz Beksinski (his son and all around renaissance man), both now tragically dead, which the movie tells about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJtMpZFVQ2w

I can provide some translation if needed, but basically in the beginning Zdzislaw says to Tomasz off screen: "Nobody ever told you that life in a family is a fairy tale. As much as people can love each other in a family, they can also hate each other."

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

kiimo posted:

The poster thread and the trailer thread are talking about cues. I wonder if we should have a music in film thread.

I feel like some goons notice music in film way more than I do. Like some people will have movies ruined for them based on the score. I don't even notice usually.

A good score will elevate the poo poo out of a film but I'm with you, I don't really notice most scores unless they are really bad, and at that point the movie is probably just as bad so it's hard to ruin.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

kiimo posted:

btw, is there a good resources for finding out if a particular song has been used in a film, and if so, what film?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Spatula City posted:

btw, is there a good resources for finding out if a particular song has been used in a film, and if so, what film?

http://www.tunefind.com/
It's not good for anything non-recent tho

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Spatula City posted:

There are definitely a couple places where the music guys at vendors and studios find that stuff out. However, I have never asked them. I should probably do that some time and would if I was at my last job. I haven't met the guy at Fox yet.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

kiimo posted:

I would like such a thread.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Spatula City posted:

You can possibly contact whoever owns the rights and ask, but they probably won't tell you if you're just a random dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spatula City posted:

YouTube is good for it. Probably the only time a comment section is worth a drat is during any scene of a movie where a song is playing and or trailer music.

• Locked thread