Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

They did meet, in the Holiday issue. Phone posting, so no panels from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
All their interaction is pretty much on the one page

Gwenpool Holiday Special #1

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
How old is Gwenpool supposed to be, anyway?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

anywhere between 15-18 would be my guess.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Everyone looks fifteen in that art style.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I can't help but feel a superhero party is a lot like an office party. A lot of standing around chatting with the forced joviality of seeing people all night who you see all day anyway and goddammit just let me go home and change and get some sleep

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I can't help but feel a superhero party is a lot like an office party. A lot of standing around chatting with the forced joviality of seeing people all night who you see all day anyway and goddammit just let me go home and change and get some sleep

Funny you say that, cuz the thing was literally just an office party that had to (impossibly) go great and last until morning to defeat an evil plot.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

"Security, this is Frank at check-in, there's a lady wearing a ripped sports bra and a sock on her head yelling for tickets!"

"Sorority hazing or superhero?"

"I thought hazing at first but frankly as cool as she was about the talking tree and the raccoon I think she's just one of those D-listers."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CzarChasm posted:

No, that's Kamala's deal.

No more than DC could get sued if they came out with "Infinite Secret" or "Final Wars" or "Identity Secret" major events. I'm not sure, because IANAL, but I think DC could publish a book called "Secret Wars" and still be OK. It would be a dick move, but I don't think the term is copyrighted. Though if Marvel could prove that DC did it specifically to confuse people and steal sales, maybe.
I imagine the context would matter too. Like a Batman story arc called "Secret Wars" about crime family shenanigans versus - well - you know, something more infringey.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As someone who has been very vocal about his frustration with DC's creative choices, this was really cathartic. I don't even like Hitman or Ennis' DC work that much, but even if it's little more than pandering it's pandering to me.

Six-Pack and Dogwelder: Hard-Travelin' Heroz #2

----------------
Bonus because it's loving funny

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

nerdman42 posted:

The follow-up

The one thing that really bothered me about her appearance in this issue is how highly implausible it is that Gwen wouldn't know who Rocket Raccoon and Groot are.

Calaveron posted:

Cultural osmosis and internet context clues isn't enough for me to understand Gwenpool so please explain Gwenpool to me.

Someone else already covered how she's divorced from the "Alternate Gwen Stacy" idea so I'll just sum it up.
Girl from the real world and die hard comic fan somehow gets pulled into the 616 world because of Secret Wars somehow. When she realizes this, she know full well that the way this universe works, if she doesn't put on a mask and start making herself stand out to get herself some plot/popularity armor, she'd probably going to die the next time Doom or Thanos get bored.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SilverSupernova posted:

The one thing that really bothered me about her appearance in this issue is how highly implausible it is that Gwen wouldn't know who Rocket Raccoon and Groot are.

Does the MCU exist where she comes from or only the comic books? Before the movie a lot of people who grew up and kept reading Marvel could be expected to not really know who those two were.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SilverSupernova posted:

But does the airline counter person know who Groot and Rocket are?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lobok posted:

Does the MCU exist where she comes from or only the comic books? Before the movie a lot of people who grew up and kept reading Marvel could be expected to not really know who those two were.
Both. There's a bit in one issue where Dr. Strange takes a peek into her universe and, well...

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Is she stuck in 616? Is that a plot point? Is she actively trying to get back to the real world? Is that a plot point? Does she miss friends/family whatever? Or is she just horsing around in Marvel World?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Nessus posted:

I imagine the context would matter too. Like a Batman story arc called "Secret Wars" about crime family shenanigans versus - well - you know, something more infringey.

Nope: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=73549111&caseSearchType=US_APPLICATION&caseType=DEFAULT&searchType=statusSearch "PUBLICATIONS, PARTICULARLY COMIC BOOKS AND MAGAZINES AND STORIES IN ILLUSTRATED FORM" (also, a live registrations for electronic publishing and action figures and bobbleheads -- it looks like the one for other kinds of merchandise were abandoned).

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
To go back to the original question...

mind the walrus posted:

If Marvel registers "Crisis of Infinite Gwens" can they get sued?
I don't know, but Marvel's managed to get away with this:

Calling it "Crisis" might be risky, since the brand's so closely linked with DC. But you'd have to ask a trademark expert to know for sure.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Keromaru5 posted:

To go back to the original question...

I don't know, but Marvel's managed to get away with this:

Calling it "Crisis" might be risky, since the brand's so closely linked with DC. But you'd have to ask a trademark expert to know for sure.

That's a parody, clearly doesn't count.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Ferrule posted:

Is she stuck in 616? Is that a plot point? Is she actively trying to get back to the real world? Is that a plot point? Does she miss friends/family whatever? Or is she just horsing around in Marvel World?

She's clearly from some spin on the "real" world, but has no particular desire to get back and has hinted that if she did, it wouldn't be to return to a happy situation. She was asking Strange to help set her up with a legal identity.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Wanderer posted:

She's clearly from some spin on the "real" world, but has no particular desire to get back and has hinted that if she did, it wouldn't be to return to a happy situation. She was asking Strange to help set her up with a legal identity.

Okay. Thanks. It just seems overtime someone posts a page or gives a synopsis of what she's about there's never a hint of the "(wo)man out of time" device so common in these situations. And I guess I wanted to know if was either CLEARLY used or COMPLETELY unused, in the sense that only one extreme or the other makes it worth reading. A half-assed arc of "oh, whoa, I sure miss my brother Tom" or whatever is never compelling. I get that it's a comedy book though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mind the walrus posted:

As someone who has been very vocal about his frustration with DC's creative choices, this was really cathartic. I don't even like Hitman or Ennis' DC work that much, but even if it's little more than pandering it's pandering to me.

Six-Pack and Dogwelder: Hard-Travelin' Heroz #2

Was this exaggerating for comic effect or is Constantine seriously wearing a space helmet and carrying a spacegun around nowadays?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Was this exaggerating for comic effect or is Constantine seriously wearing a space helmet and carrying a spacegun around nowadays?

It's a probably-not-canon Garth Ennis comic. What do you think?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

It's a probably-not-canon Garth Ennis comic. What do you think?

This is DC, I've given up on trying to figure out the difference between parody and their actual mainline comics. I wouldn't rule anything out.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jerusalem posted:

He also has a silver surfboard.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

prefect posted:

He also has a silver surfboard.

The last I heard, DC's entire last reboot was the work of Doctor Manhattan from Watchmen. I'm not ruling a goddamn thing out as "well that MUST be a made-up joke" until somebody explicitly tells me it was :colbert:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jerusalem posted:

The last I heard, DC's entire last reboot was the work of Doctor Manhattan from Watchmen. I'm not ruling a goddamn thing out as "well that MUST be a made-up joke" until somebody explicitly tells me it was :colbert:

Has that worked its way out yet? Did they kill Doctor Manhattan? :ohdear:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

prefect posted:

Nope.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

prefect posted:

It's literally not come up once since they revealed the connection. Unless mysterious Mr Oz turns out to be Adrian like everyone is expecting.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

purple death ray posted:

It's literally not come up once since they revealed the connection. Unless mysterious Mr Oz turns out to be Adrian like everyone is expecting.

Well, if everyone's figured it out DC will probably just make him turn out to be Hawk.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

purple death ray posted:

And even then it's basically been 'guy who's probably Adrian Veidt kidnapped Doomsday and Tim Drake for some reason'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, if everyone's figured it out DC will probably just make him turn out to be Hawk.

I unironically wish this is what would happen now.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
ManBearPig?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Putting Ox there is a stroke of minor genius.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ox being short for Oxford is one of my all-time fave Simpsons gags.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I liked Gibbon better in his original appearance, where he was basically pre-blued Beast, only instead of intelligent, he was ugly and wore a monkey costume without the mask.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The covers really hype up Gibbon's first appearance as an instant classic but he's just some rear end in a top hat in a monkey suit.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lurdiak posted:

The covers really hype up _________________'s first appearance as an instant classic but he's just some rear end in a top hat in a ____________________ suit.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lurdiak posted:

The covers really hype up Gibbon's first appearance as an instant classic but he's just some rear end in a top hat in a monkey suit.

I actually had that issue he debuted in, and when Spider-Man doubles over laughing at your gimmick, maaaaybe you might want to reconsider crime fighting as a career...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Say Nothing posted:

ManBearPig?

Yes, and also, where's Rocksteady?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

I actually had that issue he debuted in, and when Spider-Man doubles over laughing at your gimmick, maaaaybe you might want to reconsider crime fighting as a career...
PastePotPete did ok for himself