Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Started playing this again to check out the new updates, and it's been a fun experience. Antiquarian is a great addition to help generate funds for upgrades / hero management. Also the town events are quite a welcome addition to the game as well. Maybe this time I'll stick with it long enough to beat all the challenges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

PotatoManJack posted:

Maybe this time I'll stick with it long enough to beat all the challenges

You know there's an actual win condition now right?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

You know there's an actual win condition now right?

Really? I did not in fact know this.

That's even better!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah the Darkest Dungeon itself is now unlocked, beat all four missions in there and you win. But after a successful mission into it, the heroes you sent will refuse to go back (but will no longer count towards your roster cap), so you need at least 16 leveled-up heroes to finish the game. Also if you abandon a DD mission one of your heroes will be killed at random. You may or may not wish to spoil yourself before going in, there are some tough fights if you're not prepared for them properly.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah the Darkest Dungeon itself is now unlocked, beat all four missions in there and you win. But after a successful mission into it, the heroes you sent will refuse to go back (but will no longer count towards your roster cap), so you need at least 16 leveled-up heroes to finish the game. Also if you abandon a DD mission one of your heroes will be killed at random. You may or may not wish to spoil yourself before going in, there are some tough fights if you're not prepared for them properly.

Sounds pretty cool. I'll definitely use a spoiler as I've got limited gaming time as it is, and last thing I want to do is throw a ton of game time away to an unknown battle mechanic.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Jesus christ, the Brigand Vvulf is a superfucker. And the quest can come back?! I lost two of my Darkest Dungeon crew to this nerd. Auto-riposting bomb barrel + resummoning it / brigands is rude as gently caress. Hellion died to a heart attack so at the end when there was only one brigand left, leaving my Vestal and my Grave Robber with only Illumination capable of dealing damage. Finished it just in time, but next time I'll probably just let him bomb a building.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Victory, a hollow and ridiculous notion.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

RoboCicero posted:

Jesus christ, the Brigand Vvulf is a superfucker. And the quest can come back?! I lost two of my Darkest Dungeon crew to this nerd. Auto-riposting bomb barrel + resummoning it / brigands is rude as gently caress. Hellion died to a heart attack so at the end when there was only one brigand left, leaving my Vestal and my Grave Robber with only Illumination capable of dealing damage. Finished it just in time, but next time I'll probably just let him bomb a building.

The Vvulf killing party is Man at arms, GR, Jester, Vestal. The MaA should have a tough ring and the rampart shield. His job is to tank, stun fools, and guard people hit by the bomb. The Grave robbery has pick to the face, both daggers, and toxin trickery. Her job is to dodge tank and kill people in slot 4. Jester bleeds and party buffs, stress heals when necessary. Vestal should have 2 heal trinkets and is just a stun bot.

I can consistently and easily beat Vvulf with this set up.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"hmm, i've got a boss fight coming up, better buff up the hellion"

:q:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

"hmm, i've got a boss fight coming up, better buff up the hellion"

:q:

Should've used the holy water too! (Unless you did and she got her anyway)

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I'm about to do the champion 16 pounder. I've never done it before. Any party recommendations? I have a full roster with all classes and almost every trinket.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

Should've used the holy water too! (Unless you did and she got her anyway)

yeah i specially stocked up and then totally forgot about it, like i do each time, ever

see also: fighting the hag with only a vestal and graverobber able to hit row 3

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Happylisk posted:

I'm about to do the champion 16 pounder. I've never done it before. Any party recommendations? I have a full roster with all classes and almost every trinket.

I did it with Hellion/Leper/Grave Robber/Vestal. Accuracy trinkets on everyone so they don't miss clutch kills or stuns, then healing book on the Vestal and the best damage trinkets I could scrounge up for everyone else. Grave Robber daggers Matchman, Vestal finishes him if daggers don't crit (Hellion finishes if Vestal needs to heal), Leper hews cannon and whoever else is up front, Hellion thins out bandits and pounds on the Pounder whenever she can.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Tried the new update, now my game crashes at random :smith:

Also, town events are fun, but is it me, or is stress damage a greater danger now? I seem to have more afflicted characters per quest, and I haven't changed my style up.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Does anyone know how the final dungeon functions with regards to light-sensitive trinkets? Do Moon Rings and Sun Rings even work? Do they both work?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Time_pants posted:

Does anyone know how the final dungeon functions with regards to light-sensitive trinkets? Do Moon Rings and Sun Rings even work? Do they both work?

I dunno if it's changed but when the DD went live I had a sun ring on for the final mission and got the full bonus.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Finally beat the Siren, Prophet, and Swine God in their Champion dungeons. Feels good man. But you know, it wasn't without some major losses..

The Siren rocked my world the first time I encountered her. She stole my Grave Robber, who critically struck my Vestal into Death's Door with one shot. Then, the Siren immediately used her AOE attack, which triggered my healer's death blow. No healing for the rest of the fight, and my positioning was permanently screwed up. This occurred in the first few rounds of the fight, and I (stupidly) tried to stay and battle it out. Yep, that didn't work out. Overconfidence and all that, right?

I still haven't attempted to do the Darkest Dungeon, despite having plenty of decked out level 6 heroes. I want to go into it "blind" without researching it beforehand, just for the challenge, but I'm a bit fearful some kind of similar disaster will occur. I'm probably preparing more than I need to, but you never know with this game. I'm gonna grind every drat trinket and erase every negative quirk before heading in there, even if I'm on Week 200.

RoboCicero posted:

Jesus christ, the Brigand Vvulf is a superfucker. And the quest can come back?! I lost two of my Darkest Dungeon crew to this nerd.

I definitely understand your pain on this one! I was so happy when I finally killed Vvulf, and then he immediately returned only a few weeks later. What an rear end in a top hat. I ended up just sacrificing one of my lower leveled guys, and abandoned the mission once I was in there. I didn't want to lose my town upgrades, especially when I've already killed the bastard. I found his level to be super annoying, with all the constant bleeding and snipers spamming their Blanket Fire. Half the battle is just getting to Vvulf without getting messed up by his minions.

Apparently, there's a way to edit an .ini file so he doesn't show up as frequently, but honestly, should that be necessary? They should just patch the game so that he dies permanently and doesn't return. I believe there's a mod to remove him, too. I don't get why he comes back, it's just a chore and feels like the game is punishing you for no reason. The end game is already hard enough as it is.

Now I'm keeping 4 slots open so I can recruit a bunch of newbies from the stage coach and sacrifice them to Vvulf. Not the best solution, but it saves your town.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 10, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Jedah posted:

I still haven't attempted to do the Darkest Dungeon, despite having plenty of decked out level 6 heroes. I want to go into it "blind" without researching it beforehand, just for the challenge, but I'm a bit fearful some kind of similar disaster will occur. I'm probably preparing more than I need to, but you never know with this game. I'm gonna grind every drat trinket and erase every negative quirk before heading in there, even if I'm on Week 200.

Do as you will, but all the Darkest Dungeon missions are really really difficult without the correct approach, so unless you luck into viable builds first try, expect to fail runs and lose heroes.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Mzbundifund posted:

Do as you will, but all the Darkest Dungeon missions are really really difficult without the correct approach, so unless you luck into viable builds first try, expect to fail runs and lose heroes.

I appreciate the heads up, I'm sure it will humble me, and I'll get my rear end kicked. I was going to try running it with Vestal, Jester, Bounty Hunter, Hellion. Am I nuts? Probably.

Vestal for (consistent) single target and group heals. Normally, I'd bring the Occultist, but I'd be pissed if he healed somebody for 0 health during a critical moment... Unfortunately, that's happened to me before. On the other hand, Weakening Curse is incredibly good, and the Occultist does bonus damage to Eldritch, so you could make the argument he's a better choice.

Jester for stress heals, speed boosts, and bleeds. Jester is almost always a great addition, especially for longer dungeon runs. I suppose you could substitute him for a Grave Robber or another high damage dealer, but I want his stress heal. I'm sure stress will pile up quickly.

Hellion for Iron Swan, Bleed, Breakthrough, and her front row AOE Stun. She's very good at clearing trash minions, but I may substitute her for the Man-At-Arms. Bolster is incredibly useful for longer fights, especially if you stack it a few times. Plus, Riposte is amazing in general and defending the healer might be totally necessary, especially if she reaches Death's Door. I'll have to consider this one carefully.

Bounty Hunter is easily my favorite character and happens to be extremely versatile. Hound Master is probably a solid choice as well, but there's no way I wouldn't bring the Bounty Hunter! Ranged stun, marked for death, collect bounty. He's just so damned useful. Called your bluff, friend.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 11, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Each Darkest Dungeon quest has its own set of enemies and encounters so you can't use the same setup for all of them.

I can't really answer whether you're nuts without giving away some form of spoilers, so if you're interested in preserving your ignorance, ignore this.

For the first run you're going to want to build a party out of characters that can function in any position. Expect to get shuffled a LOT. You're also going to get hit with a ton of high-intensity bleed attacks, so buy 100% of the bandages, 100% of the food, and use bleed resist trinkets if you have them. For the boss, kill the boss FIRST and his minion LAST. Hellions are good at killing, but make a pretty squishy front line- you may run into hp problems. I'd recommend a Crusader with Smite and Holy Lance - he can hit the boss with a full-damage attack no matter what position he gets shuffled to. And he's got the 2nd highest hit points of any class. Bounty Hunter is a fine choice.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I put this game down for a couple months after I lost about six champion characters to Lighting the Way in the Darkest Dungeon and that Wvulf Guy. I read what people said a bit ago on this thread about Wvuf, any tips on Lighting the Way? Squad recommendations? I want to go back and build a good team.

It's the level where you have to carry the 3 special trinkets shaped like torches.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

BBQ Dave posted:

I put this game down for a couple months after I lost about six champion characters to Lighting the Way in the Darkest Dungeon and that Wvulf Guy. I read what people said a bit ago on this thread about Wvuf, any tips on Lighting the Way? Squad recommendations? I want to go back and build a good team.

It's the level where you have to carry the 3 special trinkets shaped like torches.

That's the hardest dungeon in the game. These two teams are good for it...

Arbalest / Occultist / Houndmaster / Man-at-Arms
...or...
Occultist / Bounty Hunter / Houndmaster / Man-at-Arms

The Man-at-Arms especially is a must-have. He can bodyguard whoever doesn't have a protective trinket. The minibosses all have whole party attacks that they use pretty often, so his counterattack outputs tons of damage on them. He has great camp buffs for fighting, which you will need to face off against those miniboss encounters. Playing 'Lighting the Way' without this class is playing it with a handicap.

I use an Occultist rather than a Vestal for healing because 1) this is a marking team, and 2) no amount of healing can keep up with the damage in those templar fights; I'd rather he spend most of his moves contributing to offense. His mark, artillery, stab, and grab are all better moves than the Vestal's non-healer skills. Er, but you do want to keep Wyrd Reconstruction on his skill tab, in case that isn't clear.

Houndmaster does bonus damage against marked targets, and actually hits very hard if you use a Dog Treat and mark at the same time. He's also in the party to soothe stress while camping, something the other classes on this team have no aptitude for.

And finally there's an Arbalest or Bounty Hunter to lay down big damage. They're pretty equivalent; the Bounty Hunter has great stun moves to go along with his damage, while the Arbalest can shoot back rows and has a higher crit chance against marked targets (i.e. kills those wretched minibosses faster). I recommend giving two attack-boosting trinkets to this character (the BH benefits from some more ACC, while the ARB just needs damage), and having the MaA guard them during the boss fights.

Lighting the Way has a boss fight where you face two templars at once. It's pretty awful! I haven't tried it, but they say if you pull or push one of those guys to make the two bosses switch positions, both bosses fight less effectively. So the Occultist's pull move or one of the Bounty Hunter's various rearrange attacks would be decisive in that fight. You might need a Move Amulet to have good odds of shifting one of those templars. I'm not really sure.

One thing that's really helpful: After you clear out a miniboss area, walk back to the entrance of the dungeon and take one of the other forks in the road. This means fewer enemy encounters than if you go around the dungeon in a circuit. Things are much easier this way.

And it should go without saying that you want maxed out skills, equipment, supplies as well as the best trinkets you can find.

Snow Job fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 14, 2016

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Thanks! That's exactly what I need. I need more men at arms, gotta keep bringing them up (or losing them). Marking seems to be the way to go. The permadeath drives me crazy. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want it any other way. :black101:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

As a counterpoint to the above advice, my party was Hellion/Houndmaster/Grave Robber/Vestal and at no point was I even close to death. I left the Grave Robber without the torch and had the Houndmaster on dedicated guard duty. Hellions and Grave Robbers put out an obscene amount of damage and if you can get the turn order right, your Vestal can stun the Templar for his variable action and leave him impotently Revelationing you.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Hmm. Wouldn't have to train up men at arms . . . thanks that's worth considering.

Edit: got squashed. Training up eyepatch grandpas.

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 14, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I actually used an Antiquarian/Highwayman combo for my run at Lighting the Way. It worked out pretty well.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Any tips for the Brigand 16 pounder? Seems like the Matchman must go every turn he's summoned, or else :psyboom: Thankfully, I didn't wipe my heroes while fighting him, I was able to retreat twice. The difficulty seemed like it was much more severe than other Champion bosses.
I was going to try running Vestal, Plague Doctor, Bounty Hunter, Hellion. Here's my thought process:

1) Vestal's group heal is great for long duration fights, and I just like her consistency. One good group heal can counter the damage from a Blanket Fire shot, which helps a ton. And while her offensive skills are way less appealing than the Occultist, it seems like this is a longer fight that requires healing. I could be wrong here. But isn't this boss basically immune to Weakening Curse and other debuffs?

2) Plague Doctor can cure Bleed, which is constantly being applied by the cannon's reinforcements, like the Cutthroat and Bloodletter. She could also stun the back row, making Blanket Fire much less of an issue. My thought was that I could Blight/Stun the Matchman, assuming her spells don't get resisted or dodged. In that case, I would clean up the Matchman with the BH or the Hellion.

3) Bounty Hunter has Planned Takedown as a camping ability, which deals bonus damage against the boss. Between Planned Takedown and Marked for Death, I feel like Collect Bounty should do quite a lot of damage. I should probably just have him focus on the cannon the whole time, right? He's also excellent at stunning targets and laying down massive damage in general, so in a pinch he could kill the Matchman or finish off one of the boss summons. I suppose you could substitute him for a Hound Master, who could fulfill a very similar role.

4) Hellion's Bleed and Iron Swan are ideal for dealing with the cannon's reinforcements, and her Bleed reaches 3 positions back, giving her a nice amount of range. I feel like using her AOE Stun is risky in this fight, since the debuff is a huge penalty. Plus, Adrenaline Rush would help buff her damage against the boss and accuracy against the Matchmen.

Mzbundifund posted:

I can't really answer whether you're nuts without giving away some form of spoilers, so if you're interested in preserving your ignorance, ignore this.
Especially after struggling with the Champion cannon boss, I'll absolutely use your advice, and save myself a bunch of casualties. Thanks for this.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's boring as hell, but I prefer to focus on the bandits and only chip away at the cannon when everything is dead. Hellion and BH are both fantastic in general for this fight, but I prefer a slightly more aggressive backline for that purpose (I like Arbalest a lot, since she can do emergency heals, snipe, and help rack up mark damage when it's time to focus the cannon.)

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What is antiquarian supposed to be good at, exactly

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

Lining your pockets with loot and not much else. The closest she comes to competency in combat is playing reverse tank by spamming Protect Me (preferably on a highwayman or at least man-at-arms for riposte shenanigans.)

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

Making stacks on stacks on stacks on stacks. It's a fun challenge (not to hard) to have a strong 3 person team and her dodge ability can give everyone +20 dodge if she keeps doing it.

Okay, going with Snow Job's Arbalest / Occultist / Houndmaster / Man-at-Arms squad for lighting the way. I plan on camping, then doing the big boss battle with two templars, then the one on the left of the dungeon, then the one north. I'm going to use the houndmaster's sanity heal at camp if we need it, and the rest will be damage Buffs.

After we take out the first boss well be in it for the long haul, so I'll bring extra snacks and such. We'll have to lug around the anti revelation charms, but what other trinkets should I use? Anti-Eldrich and damage buffing or more survivability?

Any help appreciated.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Just started playing this game the other day. It seems like Arbalest is just a worse Highwayman, and I can't figure out what the Grave Robber is supposed to be good for. Also, I have managed to get a decent roster of level 1 and basically-equipped level 2 guys, but getting them there (and curing their serious diseases) has left me in a money crunch and doing short easy dungeon runs seems like a gamble rather than an income generator.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Arbalest is much better at dealing damage from the back rows when compared to Highwayman, while Highwayman is more flexible and can adapt to a couple of different situations.

Grave Robbers have very high speed/dodge, and rock some serious face their 2nd/3rd rank skills. Thrown Dagger, Poison Dart, and Flashing Daggers are all awesome.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

BBQ Dave posted:

Okay, going with Snow Job's Arbalest / Occultist / Houndmaster / Man-at-Arms squad for lighting the way. I plan on camping, then doing the big boss battle with two templars, then the one on the left of the dungeon, then the one north. I'm going to use the houndmaster's sanity heal at camp if we need it, and the rest will be damage Buffs.

After we take out the first boss well be in it for the long haul, so I'll bring extra snacks and such. We'll have to lug around the anti revelation charms, but what other trinkets should I use? Anti-Eldrich and damage buffing or more survivability?

Any help appreciated.

Arbalest: Vvulf's Tassel, Eldritch Slayer Ring. This yields maximum boss destruction.

Man-at-Arms: Cleansing Crystal. This will minimize how much your tank suffers from bleed and blight DoTs. The Flesh's Heart is also decent, but doesn't increase blight resistance (which you do want; the templars have blight).

Houndmaster: Fuseman's Matchstick. it boosts offense in several small ways with no penalty. Thankfully, his stun doesn't need any buffs to be reliable on regular enemies.

Occultist: Don't know! If you want to pull the Templar Sniper around, maybe try Cursed Incense. I haven't tried that tactic, so I don't know how good it is, or if it needs any buffs. Otherwise maybe Junia's Head (high healing boost, serious stress penalty) or Chirurgeon's Charm (lowish healing boost but no defects). You could also give him a Camoflague Cloak if he has the Evasive perk and hope he dodges a few things.

Snow Job fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 16, 2016

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I haven't played this game since right after it released, can I still use a party of 4 Grave Robbers and zero torches to play easy-mode because that party was fun as hell :cool:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
arbalest has great damage from the backrow that can hit the enemy backrow and has a decent heal. they can clear marks and stuns off allies which makes certain bosses and enemies much less painful. they have a strong heal skill and team buff skill in camp. they're very different from the highwayman

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Snow Job posted:

Arbalest: Vvulf's Tassel, Eldritch Slayer Ring. This yields maximum boss destruction.

Man-at-Arms: Cleansing Crystal. This will minimize how much your tank suffers from bleed and blight DoTs. The Flesh's Heart is also decent, but doesn't increase blight resistance (which you do want; the templars have blight).

Houndmaster: Fuseman's Matchstick. it boosts offense in several small ways with no penalty. Thankfully, his stun doesn't need any buffs to be reliable on regular enemies.

Occultist: Don't know! If you want to pull the Templar Sniper around, maybe try Cursed Incense. I haven't tried that tactic, so I don't know how good it is, or if it needs any buffs. Otherwise maybe Junia's Head (high healing boost, serious stress penalty) or Chirurgeon's Charm (lowish healing boost but no defects). You could also give him a Camoflague Cloak if he has the Evasive perk and hope he dodges a few things.

Cleansing Crystal isn't a bad trinket for an Occultist either, since on top of the resistances it basically eliminates the bleed risk from their heal. I dunno if I'd take it over a +healing trinket but it's an option.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Thuryl posted:

Cleansing Crystal isn't a bad trinket for an Occultist either, since on top of the resistances it basically eliminates the bleed risk from their heal. I dunno if I'd take it over a +healing trinket but it's an option.

IMO it's #1 Occultist trinket, I prioritise getting it and give it to my Occultist every time.

e: Also unless the target has debuffed bleed resist, it doesn't "basically" eliminate the bleed risk, it does eliminate it. The bleed literally cannot proc.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 17, 2016

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Wafflecopper posted:

IMO it's #1 Occultist trinket, I prioritise getting it and give it to my Occultist every time.

e: Also unless the target has debuffed bleed resist, it doesn't "basically" eliminate the bleed risk, it does eliminate it. The bleed literally cannot proc.

I think it's also still possible for them to proc it against a Leper even with the trinket, on account of how their bleed resist sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Ah yisss, no trinket warning implemented

Also, I just now started doing medium difficulty dungeons, and am getting completely creamed. Is there anything I should know that helps?