Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Does your OC go super at the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Skeletome posted:

Does your OC go super at the end?

Nobody goes Super apparently (making this the first mainline 3D game I believe to have no transformed state at all), in fact the Chaos Emeralds don't seem to be seen or mentioned at all in this game.

Though there do seem to be some optional missions you can do so it's possible that Super Sonic in normal levels could still be an unlockable feature for completing everything.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 29, 2017

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I dunno, Sonic seems particularly sarcastic to say that they're not being self-aware. Or he's there to lift anything that's on the verge of being grim.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Pants Donkey posted:

Honestly Forces would have had a good plot if it was self-aware and throwing in the overly dramatic poo poo as a nod to the series' past. Overly edgy poo poo like Infinite with self-aware humor would have made for a simple, solid story.

Corny poo poo like, Sonic has been taken prisoner and is being tortured, but the torture is the drowning countdown music being played over and over in his cell. I honestly thought that was the direction we were going given the Twitter account, the ability to make OC, and so forth...but I dunno. I'm more curious in the tone of Forces than where Mania fits in the Zelda timeline.

The game pretty much is what you said in the first two sentences. It's written pretty much exactly like Colors and Lost World. There are a couple more cutscenes that lack humor and are more focused on being dramatic, but it's still mostly comical throughout. Sonic doesn't even show any signs of being tortured so it's probably just a dumb word they threw in to make it sound more dramatic than it actually is.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
About the final boss battle:

When I talked about them reusing assets for the game I didn't know that extended to literally doing the last boss routine from Colors and Lost World again. I'm specifically referring to the final form section from 8:30 onward.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Viewtiful Jew posted:

About the final boss battle:

When I talked about them reusing assets for the game I didn't know that extended to literally doing the last boss routine from Colors and Lost World again. I'm specifically referring to the final form section from 8:30 onward.

Yeah, I just saw that. Visually it looks good, and with the great music and team-up mechanic it's pretty cool in its own right, but the this is the second rehash of a concept in as many games. Whoever is designing the gameplay content of these games is seriously letting the team down.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 29, 2017

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DnWhEYihvk&t=9s

nice reference to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN-SPfgTaCU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

probably not

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
What was that one music track from Sonic 06 that was used for side missions and was seemingly unconsciously taken from one of the NES Mega Man games?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Viewtiful Jew posted:

What was that one music track from Sonic 06 that was used for side missions and was seemingly unconsciously taken from one of the NES Mega Man games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEHzaHO7U9Y&t=26s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-A_f7FV4ss&t=32s

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq6iAGEOYpw

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Man Sonic 06 was an odd game.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
So I just watched the 1hour leak video. Game looks cool dunno why are you hating it. Also god drat how can someone be so bad at a videogame.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Looking forward to going fast sometime next month.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Looking forward to going fast sometime next month.

Same. I might run through Sonic Mania again once I'm burned out on Mario.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm still probably going to decide in a week or so if I want to buy Forces; I cancelled my preorder so I can let the release pass me by if I'm still unsure, but lord help me I am just in the mood to enjoy some Sonic come hell or high-water.

I've been replaying Sonic Adventure with the Better SADX mod, and god drat if that hasn't helped get me in the mood for more Sonic. I don't know if it's because the mod smooths out a few things, but I'm having tons of fun. Adventure is great.

Also, despite some disappointing footage from the leak, there have been a couple of cool levels with some seriously kickass music. Egg Gate is exactly the kind of level I've been missing from Sonic for a while now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvL5rvRUrJk

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/DanStapleton/status/925096312046960640

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Lol. Extremely limited demo, no reviews before release. Boring as gently caress bland gameplay videos. This is going to be the worst sonic game since 06 isn't it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Frankston posted:

Lol. Extremely limited demo, no reviews before release. Boring as gently caress bland gameplay videos. This is going to be the worst sonic game since 06 isn't it.

No that'll still be boom. It's a fine game, it's a solid... 7? The worst parts are the Classic Sonic stuff, the best stuff are the Modern Sonic bits but they last like... a minute and a bit? It's lovely that rings like... don't do anything anymore? Because you don't have lives, so they're just hit points you have to pick up. The most awkward bits are probably the Avatar because his gameplay is a bit slower than Modern but he's still very quick? So he has awkward acceleration. Some levels are narrow, some are kinda open, It's an interesting game and has a lot of potential it's not reaching.

We really do need to end the 2d-in-3d and speed booster spam though. There's no need for it now.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 31, 2017

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Frankston posted:

jesus christ relax

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i am perfectly fine with 2d in 3d because you still retain a lot of the mobility from modern sonic in a 2d camera setup where you can judge routes easily.

Oh im digging that egg gate track. not sure about that eurobeat synth being used this much but still
runnin in the 90s as seen thru sonic

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I have no issue with the propensity of side-view sections in the boost games or 2.5D Sonic in general, I just think it's lame that they keep trying to pass it off as "classic" gameplay because they don't play alike and it's extremely easy to make unfavourable comparisons between a "classic" level from a 3D game and something like Mania, or even Generations 3DS or Sonic 4 ep.2 which aren't fun but still feel somewhat authentic due to ballpark-classic physics.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's the worst Sonic game since 06 not counting Boom

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Augus posted:

It's the worst Sonic game since 06 not counting Boom

No, lost world is still worse, Also the Rivals games, Black Knight, Dark Brotherhood, Way more lovely games. This is weird but it isn't bad. It plays like... honestly like a prototype of Colors. The problem with Forces is it has potential it's not reaching. Like if you want to say "It's the least good of the boost games" That'd probably be closer to correct? It's definitely no Generations, it's no colors, and I'd say the day-unleashed levels are better. Like... again it's weird, they removed the drift, but clearly had parts where you're intended to drift, and it's most likely so the avatar can drift instead with his cable weapon.

But it's not bad. It's not buggy, the level design is... of varying quality, the Classic stuff is awful. Let's be clear, Classic Sonic feels awful to control and has no reason to be in this game. Even IF Mania hadn't come out to show us "exactly as we remember Classic, if not better" controls, this'd be worse than Generations. But the Avatar is a legitimate good attempt at a mix between Sonic's speed and the grapple, if there was more to be done with the grapple, and the Wispon's movement abilities are really quite fun and if you could like... combo them the game would be so much fun. Being able to combo Burst to Lightning to Drill etc. would be really neat. And Modern plays... fun. His levels can be more boring but he's still super fun. Honestly I'd say the best levels are the Tag Team ones because there's no enforced 2D, you get the benefit of Modern's Speed and the Avatar's movement options, and they tend to branch more? The Tag Team levels feel like a way better Heroes

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 31, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Honestly Lost World was fairly inoffensive. It wasn't a particularly great game and I have zero desire to replay it but there was at least actual level design beyond what 90% of Forces has. In terms of overall polish it's also worlds above Forces, where you can see the rough edges and recycled content. I might prefer the gameplay style in Forces to Lost World's but nothing I've seen makes it look like a better game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lost World at least tried to have some interesting level design and varied level mechanics. You have minute-long stages where 40 seconds of it is running on an empty path covered with boost pads. This is just pathetic, it's beyond the barest minimum for being considered a video game, it re-uses everything wholesale from the other boost games in blander ways, there is no attempt whatsoever at giving the stages a sense of flow or challenge or even coherent visual design, the 2D sections could pass for Mario Maker stages while the 3D sections are as barren as they've ever been, and it actually has even more janky and inconsistent physics than Lost World did, Sonic's acceleration makes no sense whatsoever. The avatar gameplay is the most embarrassingly bad thing I've seen from this franchise in a while.

We all want Sonic games to be good but have some standards. It shouldn't get a free pass at "decent" just from superficially resembling better games

Augus fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 31, 2017

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i just think its ridiculous to put a functioning game bad as it may be with the likes of 06 or boom thats just dumb hyperbole.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

sonic forces is gonna be mediocre to garbage but let's save the "who is king of garbage island" fight for after the games release.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TailsChannel/status/925317342355181568

Day 1 DLC Super Sonic

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Onmi posted:

No, lost world is still worse, Also the Rivals games, Black Knight, Dark Brotherhood, Way more lovely games. This is weird but it isn't bad. It plays like... honestly like a prototype of Colors. The problem with Forces is it has potential it's not reaching. Like if you want to say "It's the least good of the boost games" That'd probably be closer to correct? It's definitely no Generations, it's no colors, and I'd say the day-unleashed levels are better. Like... again it's weird, they removed the drift, but clearly had parts where you're intended to drift, and it's most likely so the avatar can drift instead with his cable weapon.

But it's not bad. It's not buggy, the level design is... of varying quality, the Classic stuff is awful. Let's be clear, Classic Sonic feels awful to control and has no reason to be in this game. Even IF Mania hadn't come out to show us "exactly as we remember Classic, if not better" controls, this'd be worse than Generations. But the Avatar is a legitimate good attempt at a mix between Sonic's speed and the grapple, if there was more to be done with the grapple, and the Wispon's movement abilities are really quite fun and if you could like... combo them the game would be so much fun. Being able to combo Burst to Lightning to Drill etc. would be really neat. And Modern plays... fun. His levels can be more boring but he's still super fun. Honestly I'd say the best levels are the Tag Team ones because there's no enforced 2D, you get the benefit of Modern's Speed and the Avatar's movement options, and they tend to branch more? The Tag Team levels feel like a way better Heroes

Though I will say "worst of the boost games + worse classic sections than generations" is hella damning. It might just be the overwhelming quality of games released this year, but I'm willing to file a game that falls to improve on even a (good but flawed) 9 year old predecessor as "solidly bad".

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
What are we talking about when we say 2D-in-3D, are we talking about Classic Sonic gameplay or the Modern sonic pacing that switches between 2D and 3D? I agree with removing the former, but the latter is actually very good and cool and should stay.

No reviews before release is becoming increasingly common and not just in games, I don't get why people are still trying to bring it up like it's a thing.

Onmi posted:

The worst parts are the Classic Sonic stuff

Seeing the game from the leaks, I don't agree. Modern stages are way too drat short to be satisfying, and the Classic stages are fairly decent outside of Green Hill.

Augus posted:

We all want Sonic games to be good but have some standards. It shouldn't get a free pass at "decent" just from superficially resembling better games

Just because people have different standards than you doesn't necessarily mean they have lower standards. Don't be a dick

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ventana posted:

Just because people have different standards than you doesn't necessarily mean they have lower standards. Don't be a dick

If the bar for a game to be good or decent is lower for someone how does it not mean they have lower standards?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ventana posted:

No reviews before release is becoming increasingly common and not just in games, I don't get why people are still trying to bring it up like it's a thing.

While this is becoming more and more common, it's telling this time because Sega was shelling out review codes for Sonic Mania to anyone with any sort of online presence barely a couple months ago.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
They saw that one Cuphead reviewer failing to make the tutorial jump and that was enough to drat all reviewers

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Ventana posted:

What? Yes it does. It doesn't excuse him being rude but what you said makes no sense

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

TheKingofSprings posted:

If the bar for a game to be good or decent is lower for someone how does it not mean they have lower standards?

Zelder posted:

What? Yes it does. It doesn't excuse him being rude but what you said makes no sense

I'm not talking about the sliding scale of quality acceptance (which, admittedly, is a part of the arguments above), I meant in terms of other standards if you apply that argument to any other opinionated discussion. For example, Augus in particular has already posted a bunch about how he found Generations shallow, which prompted a disagreement in the thread that some people liked the Boost gameplay of Modern Sonics and found it deep. Neither side was particularly wrong, but it shows a difference in standards from both sides on various details.

People value different things in video games, which is what leads to differing opinions. This isn't surprising new information.

This is what's coming up in the Lost World vs Forces comparisons going on, where some people think Forces isn't that bad, or maybe that Lost World's originality actually made it better. This is where I find Augus's statement hurtful, because while he's free to think Lost World is better, the statement implies that his own view of originality is a more objective as a standard of quality.

I can agree that people need to internally acknowledge their own standards and not give games free passes. And I can see where Augus is coming from in the originality/execution comparisons. But I don't think it's fair to assume that anyone who happens to like a game that borrows elements from a better one has lower standards, because maybe the other game in the comparison is really bad for different reasons.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Detective No. 27 posted:

While this is becoming more and more common, it's telling this time because Sega was shelling out review codes for Sonic Mania to anyone with any sort of online presence barely a couple months ago.

Yeah that is fair. I can't say I understand the standards going on in these companies when they make decisions like that. It's just sorta a thing that always pops up and somehow ALWAYS means something fishy is going on, despite there being examples where the game/show turned out alright. I've just tuned out anything about this topic when it comes up as a result.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

How is that going to work if the game doesn't have any emerald collection?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Unlockable extra, I guess. Lost World just had the emeralds lying around on the overworld, they weren't an actual part of the story there either. Just set it as an unlockable option and call it a day.

I'm mostly interested in the game balancing; I wonder if the enemies that currently stand around doing nothing even if you walk up to them will at least be animated now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't really get why people want the enemies to do things besides stand around and wait to be killed in this kind of game. Have you ever actually had an enemy on screen for more than one or two seconds? Would you really want to have to slow down and kill them?