Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ofecks posted:

There's the aforementioned Centi/Milli-pedes, but nothing else to my knowledge. At least not retro. One exception is the X68000 port of Kyukyoku Tiger.

There's a Japanese arcade game series that has you controlling a dragon with the a trackball in a psuedo-shooter environment as well. It had some home ports to the PS1, IIRC, as part of the Simple series, though obviously without trackball support.

Also, some of us just bought surplus laptops at auction and instantly installed Ubuntu on them so they wouldn't have to deal with the Windows headache (and instead deal with the Linux headache :v:). It does limit the gaming aspect of things, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

I have a gaming laptop that has windows 10 because it came with 8 and gently caress that, and I only use it once every couple months. Most of the time when I turn it on it completely locks up and is unresponsive for about 5 minutes, then performance is dogshit while it auto-downloads a ton of updates and then if you dare try to turn it off or restart it, it'll be stuck "updating windows" for over an hour.

I don't own my own laptop anymore. I have to wait for Microsoft's permission to use it.

Friend comes over: hey lets play some LAN games *laptop stuck updating for 2 hours* welp that was fun buddy, see you again next week. :(

I have fast internet too, and this is a pretty powerful gaming laptop. It has a slow platter drive though, and I don't use it very often. That shouldn't be that outrageous. But I gotta install windows 7 so I can manually choose when to update!

Did you ever think of getting the laptop ready before your friend comes over?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BattleMaster posted:

Did you ever think of getting the laptop ready before your friend comes over?

Yeah I did and it was still stuck updating when he showed up. Guess I should have gotten it ready the day before :sigh:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zaphod my friend I think you need to learn to take what people say on the forums less personally/seriously. It's just video games

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Caitlin:

When you crush the poo poo out of Splatterhouse, are you doing so whilst sitting on a barstool, or are you standing the whole time? Is it even a factor for you?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So what would you guys say is the worst game you've ever personally played, for me it's probably a tie between Superman 64 and that Shrek fighting game for the GBC(only good thing that ever came out of owning that turd was that Gamestop gave me 20 bucks for it when I traded it in, since I guess it was on the rare side of things)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Caitlin:

When you crush the poo poo out of Splatterhouse, are you doing so whilst sitting on a barstool, or are you standing the whole time? Is it even a factor for you?

I am usually sitting on a bar stool but I have in fact done it standing. Whether or not this is an issue depends on your own knees, back and feet. But I prefer the stool because towards the end of that 45 to 60 minutes it can get exhausting and I have bad feet. :sigh: A lot of the people I know at the arcade play standing though, but most of their runs are shorter.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

drrockso20 posted:

So what would you guys say is the worst game you've ever personally played, for me it's probably a tie between Superman 64 and that Shrek fighting game for the GBC(only good thing that ever came out of owning that turd was that Gamestop gave me 20 bucks for it when I traded it in, since I guess it was on the rare side of things)

The worst game I've ever played is probably one of the like 20 XBLIG titles that I downloaded the demo of and then couldn't be bothered to buy later. The worst one of those was definitely this one, but that one advertised itself as more of a book straight up https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Oxadania-An-E-book/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550913 Incidentally, the "book" part is like a few dozen still frames put into a video file, with no way to skip backwards or forwards, and the only "game" part is a barely working garden rearrangement thing.

If we restrict it to games we actually paid money for, then probably Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Cloudy Mountain for the Intellivision, but a lot of the ColecoVision and Atari 2600 games I bought were also real bad.

Also just another reminder: Xbox Live Indie Games titles for the Xbox 360 will stop being purchasable after September this year, which will include downloading the demos. So any of them you might want to have without piracy, get them now.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

drrockso20 posted:

Probably my attempts to play Earnest Evans on Genesis, which I still have for whatever reason. Oh and that Godzilla the Series game on GBC, you know the one. A lot of doggy games in the GBC library.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Caitlin posted:

I am usually sitting on a bar stool but I have in fact done it standing. Whether or not this is an issue depends on your own knees, back and feet. But I prefer the stool because towards the end of that 45 to 60 minutes it can get exhausting and I have bad feet. :sigh: A lot of the people I know at the arcade play standing though, but most of their runs are shorter.

Do you have your runs up on YouTube at all?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Turbinosamente posted:

Probably my attempts to play Earnest Evans on Genesis, which I still have for whatever reason. Oh and that Godzilla the Series game on GBC, you know the one. A lot of doggy games in the GBC library.

Of the systems I've owned I'd say the Game Boy Color had to have had the worst library of games of all

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got my SCART cable in the mail for my new Atari Jaguar.

That sure is a video game console.

I'm looking forward to trying AvP, and I've got Doom coming in the mail because I'm a Doom fanboy and I like trying out the different ports. Cybermorph is actually pretty neat, I like the Star Fox-esque polygon graphics.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

drrockso20 posted:

Of the systems I've owned I'd say the Game Boy Color had to have had the worst library of games of all

Probably, and yet for its failings we can still put Wario Land 3, Kirby's Tilt n Tumble, Pokémon Crystal, the Oracles games, and a surprisingly decent port of SMB1 solely to its credit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Turbinosamente posted:

Probably my attempts to play Earnest Evans on Genesis, which I still have for whatever reason.

Here's the reason: it's real good.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The Grand Theft Auto and Grand Theft Auto 2 ports for the GBC are massively underrated. You get the whole cities and missions, all the cars, the only thing that's really missing is the music has to be reduced to chiptunes.

The buildings of course aren't 3D anymore, but that barely mattered in GTA 1 or 2 for the gameplay.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I'm a pretty huge fan of Dreamcast 2 (OG Xbox) so was stoked to find a Dakota, the prototype Duke controller.

What's mildly interesting is how the Japanese control pad (before it was brought here as the Controller S) uses the same jewel design as the Dakota prototype

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

There's a Japanese arcade game series that has you controlling a dragon with the a trackball in a psuedo-shooter environment as well. It had some home ports to the PS1, IIRC, as part of the Simple series, though obviously without trackball support.

Do you remember the name of this game, by any chance? I have no idea what it might be and I'm intrigued.

EDIT: you're not thinking of Taito's Syvalion, are you?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

I got my SCART cable in the mail for my new Atari Jaguar.

That sure is a video game console.

I'm looking forward to trying AvP, and I've got Doom coming in the mail because I'm a Doom fanboy and I like trying out the different ports. Cybermorph is actually pretty neat, I like the Star Fox-esque polygon graphics.

When I had a Jaguar the only games I had we're cybermorph, tempest 2000, and club drive. I honestly enjoyed all of them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

I have played a lot of poo poo. I mean a lot of poo poo. There are games that are unplayable disasters (Super Monkey Adventures), games that are offensive on every level (Tashiro Masashi Has So Many Princesses), and games that just should not be (Carmaggedon 64). Among those games there are two that I hold a grudge against that continues to this day: X-Men for the NES and Daggerfall.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

EDIT: you're not thinking of Taito's Syvalion, are you?

That's the one. I haven't played it myself; I just noticed that it looked kind of weird.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

drrockso20 posted:

either South Park 64, Shaq-Fu which I not only beat but bought on loving Game Gear. what a mark, or Sonic 06

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

That's the one. I haven't played it myself; I just noticed that it looked kind of weird.

Fair enough! That was just the one game and it's way older than the PSX era but it did get a few ports: a very good X68000 version, a mediocre SNES version and an inclusion on one of the Taito Memories compilations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

drrockso20 posted:

Dual Heroes.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Probably, and yet for its failings we can still put Wario Land 3, Kirby's Tilt n Tumble, Pokémon Crystal, the Oracles games, and a surprisingly decent port of SMB1 solely to its credit.

:agreed:

Weren't the Dragon Quest ports pretty good too?

Also we so very close to getting Resident Evil on the go! :v:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's the reason: it's real good.

Here's the real real reason: it looks nice next to El Viento on the shelf.

I don't have a PC Engine thus I am not cool enough to have the third game.

I'm rapidly running out of games that are genuinely bad and not just things I personally didn't like, such as Stretch Panic, Ranger X, or Xenophobe.

And then there's the Wii shovelware which feels like cheating in a way.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TheHoosier posted:

either South Park 64, Shaq-Fu which I not only beat but bought on loving Game Gear. what a mark, or Sonic 06

I remember the PC version of the South Park game to be pretty decent, is the N64 version really that bad?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

drrockso20 posted:

I remember the PC version of the South Park game to be pretty decent, is the N64 version really that bad?

N64 version was horrid.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What are some cool romhacks of N64 games that will run on real hardware? My ED64 came in the mail and I'm itching to check out some weird stuff.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

drrockso20 posted:

I don't know what Iguana did to the Turok engine between Dinosaur Hunter and Seeds of Evil but South Park was rife with collision bugs and pretty unstable. It also had denser fog despite being what is probably the lowest poly count 3D game on the entire console.

I still loved the game despite all that though. In a way it played more like an arena shooter than it did like Turok. The multiplayer was great too and the weapons were a ton of fun to play around with.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What are some cool romhacks of N64 games that will run on real hardware? My ED64 came in the mail and I'm itching to check out some weird stuff.

Most of the hacks that run on real hardware are straightforward translation patches of games like Sin & Punishment, or are extra weapons/levels/etc for Perfect Dark and Goldeneye (since there was such a community for building those things using very long GameShark code lists put on the gameshark over the PC port connection).

One of the most impressive ones is "Goldeneye X" which brings in every official GoldenEye multiplayer map and all the weapons from that game to the Perfect Dark engine, essentially so that you can play them with the better framerates of Perfect Dark.

There's also a couple of Ocarina Of Time mods that change the map/add new quests and run properly on a real console, I forget the names.

One big set of mods that definitely don't work: nearly every Mario 64 hack. Because the common tools to hack Mario 64 were never tested against anything close to an accurate emulator. So most of them crash very quickly. Among the ones that do work are "Mario 74" and "Mario Sky Stories" though older versions of them do not work.

The Mario situation is funny because Super Mario World romhacks had the exact same problem for a long time.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

One big set of mods that definitely don't work: nearly every Mario 64 hack. Because the common tools to hack Mario 64 were never tested against anything close to an accurate emulator. So most of them crash very quickly. Among the ones that do work are "Mario 74" and "Mario Sky Stories" though older versions of them do not work.

The Mario situation is funny because Super Mario World romhacks had the exact same problem for a long time.

Yeah it's just a repeat of the age old ZSNES ROMhacks problem.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Caitlin posted:

For my part, when I started doing runs with the intention of breaking my personal record, I thought "I should grab a stool. I will be here for a while." However, maybe due to the style of game Gyruss is (maybe), I'm better at playing it standing up.

This would make four-year-old WFYG very sad, as his first Gyruss experience was a cocktail cab.

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

Dr. Dos posted:

https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/866285758428176385

This ad made me wonder if there's ever been a shmup that uses a trackball to maneuver.

Late, but I got great mileage out of playing Galaxian using the 5200 trackball since its the only controller that works worth a drat for the thing.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Only Shallow posted:

I'm a pretty huge fan of Dreamcast 2 (OG Xbox)

I've heard this a few times now and I'm wondering what about the Xbox makes people feel like it's the spiritual successor to the dreamcast. I'm not doubting or saying that's a bad description or anything, just wondering what makes something dreamcasty I guess. I can think of a few reasons:

- The controllers are similar to the point of plagarism
- There are four controller ports
- There are several great Sega games on it, and some followups to their dreamcast stuff like JSRF and Sega GT
- The dreamcast has a microsoft logo on it, though Windows CE was only used by a few games and the console didn't run a MS OS (AFAIK)

Personally (and this is just me) I don't feel like they have much in common because for me what made the Dreamcast great and unique was that it's basically a consolized Naomi arcade system so it has a shitload of direct un-emulated arcade games that could barely be called ports, they're just the real game running on a home system like a more modern Neo-Geo. But with the Xbox the majority of the games are very PC or console-like experience/story games so it doesn't give me the same feeling as the Dreamcast, library wise. Personally the 360 feels more like an "arcade at home" system than the OG did, especially when it comes to the Japanese library. The OG Xbox just didn't have the same attention from great Japanese arcade game developers that the Dreamcast had so it just feels dreamcast-like to me on a design level, they were obviously cribbing from Sega (or didn't some DC people work on the OG design, I think I heard something like that). Putting arcade games aside I feel like it also lacks the experimental feeling of a lot of DC stuff, there was some really weird stuff on that system while aside from Sega a lot of Xbox games felt very by the numbers and focus grouped.

I really wish that there could be a DC 2 but I don't think that would ever happen because people kinda stopped making the sort of games (for consoles) that made the dreamcast so ridiculously exceptional, at just around the time the DC died. Again I'm not saying YOU'RE WRONG THATS RIDICULOUS, just interested in what you and other people define as dreamcast-ness because for me it's really specific and nothing else has elicited that feeling in me (I wish it would)

e: also want to mention that I don't think the OG XB is a bad system, I actually like it a lot and think it gets way more flak than it deserves. there are some awesome games on that system.

d0s fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 23, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

d0s posted:

- There are several great Sega games on it, and some followups to their dreamcast stuff like JSRF and Sega GT
There's this, the fact that Sega adapted the Xbox hardware for the Chihiro arcade hardware, and the allegations of serious discussion between Sega and Microsoft about the possibility of the original Xbox having Dreamcast backwards compatibility...

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The Kins posted:

Sega adapted the Xbox hardware for the Chihiro arcade hardware,

Yeah I forgot about this, though they didn't really get much use out of it :( I feel like the Xbox could have and should have been Dreamcast 2 but games/tastes were already starting to change too much

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
The controller is an obvious part yeah. IMO the Dreamcast controller was a downgrade from the Saturn 3D Pad because of the much worse stick and two fewer face buttons. Microsoft tried to give us six with the black and white buttons but they were small and awkward and nobody liked them so they got moved and then turned into bumpers.

It almost had a VMU: https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/status/747165550418157574

The sega games are a big part. It's got Crazy Taxi 3, Gunvalkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future, Otogi 1 and 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Phantasy Star Online (now dead), Puyo, Sega GT, the only NA version of Shenmue II, Sonic Heroes / Mega Collection / Riders, HOTD 3, ToeJam & Earl 3, Outrun 2 and 2006. It's basically everything up until the Sammy merger when Sega died. It has a bunch of ports and sequels from big PC games of the time and it can be a lot easier to play things on Xbox than games of that age on like a Windows 10 PC.

Chihiro was a thing in the arcade though nowhere near as popular as NAOMI. It had Crazy Taxi 3, HOTD 3, Virtua Cop 3, Outrun 2, Ollie King, and some other stuff. Ollie King is kind of like JSRF + SSX with a cool soundtrack by the same composer. There's one at the Round 1 nearest me and I like to play it at least once when I'm there. You can run a few Chihiro games on an Xbox with a hacked BIOS and two more RAM chips soldered on for 128mb total. XBMC and other homebrew can use that too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIgRcVY3tow

The homebrew and hackability was a big part. XBMC was the best thing ever for your DivX AVIs in the early 2000s. I remember playing with a few media players on DC that really weren't good at all. It has Linux and FreeBSD like DC had NetBSD. It had a ton of emulators which was something great about Dreamcast but that always felt like a proof of concept and not 100% there. Did you ever use DreamSnes? Do you remember when SegaGen leaked from Sega Smash Pack with developer instructions on how to add ROMs? Xbox had way more of that. Playing Sonic 2 Beta on SegaGen on your Dreamcast in 2001 :2bong:

Xbox homebrew still blew it all away, even to the point of having full games, like how a $20 Xbox was my main way of playing dance games about exactly a decade ago.

I never had Xbox Live due to the subscription fee but it definitely fulfilled DC's online promise. I used to take my DC to my Dad's house in a backpack every weekend because it was my only way to get online there with Planetweb, but I can't really say it was great at playing games online like Xbox eventually was.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Only Shallow posted:

IMO the Dreamcast controller was a downgrade from the Saturn 3D Pad because of the much worse stick and two fewer face buttons.

Agreed, but thankfully the DC had the green stick and a good saturn style 6-button pad by ASCII. I don't notice the DC pads terribleness in games like sonic or driving games, it's actually pretty decent for that sort of thing (though saturn 3D pad is so much better in like every way). I kinda feel the same way about the XB pads as I do about the DC's, they never felt quite right to me, on the XB it's the button shape and d-pad.

Only Shallow posted:

The sega games are a big part. It's got Crazy Taxi 3, Gunvalkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future, Otogi 1 and 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Phantasy Star Online (now dead), Puyo, Sega GT, the only NA version of Shenmue II, Sonic Heroes / Mega Collection / Riders, HOTD 3, ToeJam & Earl 3, Outrun 2 and 2006. It's basically everything up until the Sammy merger when Sega died

Yeah this is the most dreamcast-like part of the system for me, though Sega also had some good exclusives on PS2 and Cube the majority are on the XB

Only Shallow posted:

The homebrew and hackability

I also heavily used my Xbox as a media center/emulation box and yeah I did the same stuff on the DC (poorly) so I get this too, it's just that what you could do on the XB was on such another level that it didn't really feel similar at all. It's a good thing but I never made that connection for whatever reason.

Also personally I feel like the ~aesthetic~ of the xbox is the total antithesis of the dreamcast's and that always divided them in my mind, it's kind of a dumb reason but I really hated everything about the xbox's industrial design while liking the DCs a whole lot (talking about colors, UI, case design, etc). When I first got a DC it seemed like a device from some future utopia, XB's design turned that on it's head so perfectly it felt like it came from the inverted "bad future"

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

d0s posted:

Also personally I feel like the ~aesthetic~ of the xbox is the total antithesis of the dreamcast's and that always divided them in my mind, it's kind of a dumb reason but I really hated everything about the xbox's industrial design while liking the DCs a whole lot (talking about colors, UI, case design, etc). When I first got a DC it seemed like a device from some future utopia, XB's design turned that on it's head so perfectly it felt like it came from the inverted "bad future"

On the other hand, with all it's black plastic, ridges and chunky size it does sort of evoke the original Mega Drive/Genesis.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

God forbid anyone play the NES version of X-Men, but if for some reason you feel like you have to, Nightcrawler is the only acceptable computer-controlled partner. He's the only one who won't get stuck on walls because he'll teleport right through.

Kind of wondering now what is the worst game I own. Off the top of my head, It's probably MUSCLE for the NES.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Turbinosamente posted:

Here's the real real reason: it looks nice next to El Viento on the shelf.

I don't have a PC Engine thus I am not cool enough to have the third game.

Good news! The third game, Annet Futatabi (aka Annet Again), is on the Mega/Sega CD, so no PC Engine is needed.

It's not very good, but it's better than Earnest Evans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I understand that, empirically, the worst game I own is probably Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, but I've got kind of a soft spot for it. Worst I've ever played could very well go to the SNES version of Last Action Hero.

• Locked thread