Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hi friends, is there a place to discuss the Great British Baking Show in here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

UK thread generally covers it but been quiet this year.

And be a rebel and call it by it’s real, not ‘changed for US copyright reasons’, name - The Great British Bake Off. Or just Bake Off.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Making my way through Deadwood (have seen the first season before, never got around to the next two) and holy poo poo I didn't remember how loving brutal that scene was in season 1 episode 8 :stare:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

How is there no Good Place season 2 thread??? It starts tonight!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Make it then

John from Cincinnati episode 6 is holy poo poo incredible. I doubt the series is gonna top John’s cookout speech, but that was worth the 10-hour watch alone. Amazing television.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Escobarbarian posted:

Make it then

John from Cincinnati episode 6 is holy poo poo incredible. I doubt the series is gonna top John’s cookout speech, but that was worth the 10-hour watch alone. Amazing television.

If no one has once I'm done with work I will!!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Arist posted:

Atlanta is totally a comedy.

Yeah but it's also completely different from straight up sitcoms like B99 or The Mick and it's dumb that these things end up in the same category but awards shows are stupid trash so who really cares?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

Make it then

I didn't remember the episode number, but I knew exactly what episode you was talking about when you said 'holy poo poo incredible'. After that episode aired, for that one moment in time I thought JFC was the best show on television.

But yeah that is the peak.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Hi friends, is there a place to discuss the Great British Baking Show in here?

You might want to also check out Grand Design. It is a British show about house building and renovations. It is not like it's American counterparts at all.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 20, 2017

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

nate fisher posted:

You might want to also check out Grand Design. It is a British show about house building and renovations the schadenfreude of the upper middle class idiots who think that making a list and an approximate budget is more than enough project management for building their dream home.
:britain:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Looks like Lindelof is in fact working on a Watchman show for HBO.

And here's a bunch of Twitter reactions to the Discovery premiere, you can decide for yourself how much is marketing bullshit and how much is real.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 20, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Twitter is 100% marketing especially if it's early

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also punisher trailer yes I just finished looking at r/television

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIY6zFL95hE

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The Hulu app on Roku finally updated. It's ok. I kinda like it but not really? At least it has profiles now so I can get all of my daughter's anime off my drat watchlist.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Also, hire an architect then disagree with pretty much everything he says and do things so differently that the build takes an extra couple of years and an extra 50k at least to finish.

And it still won't be finished anyway when the crew from the show come to visit you to see the end product.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

The Hulu app on Roku finally updated. It's ok. I kinda like it but not really? At least it has profiles now so I can get all of my daughter's anime off my drat watchlist.

Hulu profiles don't even work right. They might have independent watchlists, but they share watch progress, so...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Netflix/Hulu recommendations are like that Scottish Bridge Builder joke. "But you watch ONE anime and..."

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

spudsbuckley posted:

Also, hire an architect then disagree with pretty much everything he says and do things so differently that the build takes an extra couple of years and an extra 50k at least to finish.

And it still won't be finished anyway when the crew from the show come to visit you to see the end product.

Yep, and down your drink if they've only got a couple of weeks left before the weather turns nasty and the foundations ain't started yet.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

DivisionPost posted:

Brett Gelman is the weird bearded guy from Eagleheart and several Adult Swim specials. (He actually cut ties with AS after they greenlit that show made by neo-Nazis.)

Chris Evans was also pissed off because of course Captain America would be pissed off.

When he showed up in Fleabag, I was completely flummoxed.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Snak posted:

Hulu profiles don't even work right. They might have independent watchlists, but they share watch progress, so...

Well it never really did a good job of that anyway. It'd always say I have 1 or 2 episodes left of a season but when I go in, they're all marked as viewed.

Now they've got this weird browsing thing that makes the show you're hovering over clear while all the others go into some colored hue but I just wanna see what's on the screen dammit, not hazy green poo poo. ARGH!

Still, I really hate anime so I'm overall pleased that's gone.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Not to alarm anyone, but early word of mouth is that STAR TREK: DISCOVERY is actually really good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Too bad it's on CBS All Access

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Brett Gelman is the weird bearded guy from Eagleheart and several Adult Swim specials. (He actually cut ties with AS after they greenlit that show made by neo-Nazis.)

That and also they announced a new slate of shows without a single woman created/EP'ed program.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GreenNight posted:

I saw that in a few articles as well. Waiting to hear which book series they buy the rights to.

c'mon big-budget Berserk show

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Make it then

My dude. I knew you'd dig it.

Kinda impossible to replicate now, but the experience of sitting down to watch THE NEW SHOW BY THE CREATOR OF DEADWOOD and getting JfC was amazing. At the time, I'm pretty sure the only other person I knew who liked it was my crazy bandmate.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Too bad it's on CBS All Access

To bad for CBS. We all know that it's going to get pirated harder than anything this side of Game of Thrones regardless of quality. In the US at least.

DrVenkman posted:

Not to alarm anyone, but early word of mouth is that STAR TREK: DISCOVERY is actually really good.

I don't trust early word of mouth in the age of social media personalities or youtubers or brand sirens or whatever you want to call them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

I don't trust early word of mouth in the age of social media personalities or youtubers or brand sirens or whatever you want to call them.

Not to mention they're all going to be hardcore trekkies, who would love the poo poo out of anything with the Trek name.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Not to mention they're all going to be hardcore trekkies, who would love the poo poo out of anything with the Trek name.

I refuse to trust a review of anyone who enjoyed Enterprise, so those reactions are useless to me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Putting a streaming show not on Netflix is just incredibly annoying. Most people have no idea what the hell Handmaid's tale or Transparent are.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There are a few Amazon shows I'd enjoy watching. But since they refuse to allow streaming on a Chromecast I guess I'm just out of luck, because gently caress having to buy their proprietary stick. Maybe I'll just break down and get a Roku when I upgrade my TV.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, people liked (or convinced themselves of it) The Phantom Menace early on too. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Mu Zeta posted:

Putting a streaming show not on Netflix is just incredibly annoying. Most people have no idea what the hell Handmaid's tale or Transparent are.

It's on Netflix outside of the US, which makes it extra annoying. Handmaid's Tale did a lot for making people aware of Hulu though, to be fair.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DrVenkman posted:

lol, fat chance!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I can't wait to watch Start Trucks Discoveries on a scratched-up gas pump TV screen in Des Moines, Iowa.

Way to go, CBS.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mu Zeta posted:

I like the direction AppleTV is going with the ability to put a lot of your streaming library under one app (TV App). That said it sucks that it doesn't access Netflix (and I don't think it ever will). Still having the ability to browse stuff like HBO, Showtime, Hulu, and others in one place is cool. I wonder if the new Amazon app will work with the their TV library app?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OK but what if it is good

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

Yeah, people liked (or convinced themselves of it) The Phantom Menace early on too.

I was there man, opening night, I had to. We all had to.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

nate fisher posted:

I like the direction AppleTV is going with the ability to put a lot of your streaming library under one app (TV App). That said it sucks that it doesn't access Netflix (and I don't think it ever will). Still having the ability to browse stuff like HBO, Showtime, Hulu, and others in one place is cool. I wonder if the new Amazon app will work with the their TV library app?

Roku has done that forever and AndroidTV also has universal search for many services (including Netflix.)

My TiVo bolt also allows me to create One Passes that include streaming services so streaming episodes show up side by side with recodings.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

Yeah, people liked (or convinced themselves of it) The Phantom Menace early on too. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

I maintain that TPM is the best of the prequels. Certainly the best looking, at least, the other two look like straight-to-DVD garbage on the complete saga Blu-Rays I have.

Honestly the only Star Wars films I'd actually say are good are ANH and ESB. The Force Awakens was certainly awesome to see (and I saw it twice) but I haven't wanted to watch it since. I bought it digitally the day it came out, started it up, and changed it to something else halfway through.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834903 Good Place S2 thread is a go.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lelandjs posted:

I maintain that TPM is the best of the prequels. Certainly the best looking, at least, the other two look like straight-to-DVD garbage on the complete saga Blu-Rays I have.

Liam Neeson gives the best performance in the prequels (although Ian McDiarmid in ROTS is the most entertaining).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

Just pretend I posted the entire Mr. Plinkett video here.

e: in a weird sort of way, TPM being responsible for the Mr. Plinkett review somewhat redeems it.

• Locked thread