Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What is SV on this context?

Oh FFS not again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Josef bugman posted:

What is SV on this context?

Oh FFS not again.

Silicon Valley I assume?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Cowslips Warren posted:

Thanksgiving is the holiday to make or break your "women do this" poo poo.

AITAH for telling my girlfriend she's wrong about my family after she met them for Thanksgiving?

If she can't stand the heat, she should get back in the kitchen where she belongs

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The beauty of the legal profession is there is someone who will take a bunch of your money to argue that you cannot be banned from your video game group on the grounds because "Nick is a bitch and just jealous, actually, and needs to get good."

The beauty of fandom is that there's like a 60% chance that some Nes main also ran at the edge of the community is a bloodless corporate lawyer by day (or closely related to one) who is happy to power bomb the complaining party out of the courts in hilarious and permanently binding ways.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Your honor, I submit in the evidence league tables which will prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the defendant was not motivated by enforcement of tournament rules, but instead by petty jealousy!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

spookykid posted:

Ehh it's an interview you can throw on in the background and just kinda listen to while you make dinner or whatever. The gist of the carder thing is they would get massive lists of stolen credit card numbers (some would even harvest them themselves through a bunch of different methods), and some of them evolved to the point where they'd get the numbers, get a proper magnetic encoder, and the software to write the nitty-gritty of the track-2 data to the cards. Then they'd either run a bunch of cards themselves at high-limit ATM's, or send out a crew around a city to do it, sometimes netting hundreds of thousands or millions in 24-48 hours.

Nobody is going to loving watch a random 'explainer' youtube video that's over 3 minutes max

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’ve watched it three times.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's because you're hosed up

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Come on, we went to different schools together.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Yeah, you'd have to be a real loser to have that much time on your hands!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Just for that I’m going to watch it again.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The beauty of fandom is that there's like a 60% chance that some Nes main also ran at the edge of the community is a bloodless corporate lawyer by day (or closely related to one) who is happy to power bomb the complaining party out of the courts in hilarious and permanently binding ways.

Around 15 years ago I ran an online gaming tournament and one guy who lost a game got so pissed he not only threatened to doxx me but actually made a website claiming I was an Islamic terrorist and a kiddy diddler. 'Gamers' are insane.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I had rage issues at fighting game locals and was told by staff to take a two week break. I decided "hey, they're right, actually" and never did that poo poo again. Turned my life around, no joke.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Do you ever wonder what your life would be like if you decided to make the rage your whole thing?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Do you ever wonder what your life would be like if you decided to make the rage your whole thing?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think I was raised right, and had the right friends, in order to reflect in that moment and grow past it. But you see ragers all over the place who can't get over themselves. Not all of it escalates to spurious legal action but it's always sad.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

The first thing that comes to mind when I see someone raging in public is "how pathetic". Which is, presumably, the exact opposite of their intention when behaving that way.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

When I was raging I was absolutely searching for sympathy. I thought my losses weren't my own fault, that some diabolical circumstances had cheated me, etc. It was a selfish cry for attention that instead disturbed and alienated everyone around me.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

My date wouldn’t stop talking about stew and told me I was boring

r/relationships: “oh sorry i was thinking about my stew again”
[/quote]

Dudes rock.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Now think about your stew (Do Dah Doo Doo) 15-hr loop remix

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

When I was raging I was absolutely searching for sympathy. I thought my losses weren't my own fault, that some diabolical circumstances had cheated me, etc. It was a selfish cry for attention that instead disturbed and alienated everyone around me.

Unironically I'm glad you got past that. Also that last bit would be a great thread title.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for leaving the church even though they can't run service without me?

quote:

I (21F) recently left the church I grew up in. It was a very hard decision and long journey for me, but I've worked through some of the fear and guilt that was keeping me there.

While I was attending church, I was a very integral part of the service. I was the only person in the church who could play music and sing. Every week I would work with the pastor to pick worship music based on his sermon that week, and then on Saturday I would essentially run a one man worship concert. I did this for about six years, since I was fifteen.

Another important thing to mention is that I'm gay. I've known since high school, and so have my parents. They're surprisingly supportive, considering the conservative church we have been attending for as long as I can remember. I've never been in the closet, but I've also never publicly come out on social media or anything. The one time I brought my girlfriend to church everyone thought she was just a friend I was trying to convert.

Two weeks ago was my breaking point. Our pastor's sermon was about how the world is becoming more inclusive. It was a long (and frankly awful) sermon, but the part that finally got me to leave was when he mentioned how "all the kids are gay now" and how our whole generation needed to "either repent or burn in hell eternally". Before this happened I knew that our denomination wasn't exactly welcoming of the LGBTQ+ community, but to hear it so bluntly stated in front of everyone was something else and I couldn't keep living in blissful ignorance. I decided that after the service I would no longer take part in a church who didn't like people like me.

The next week when he called me to arrange to meet about the church service for that week, I politely explained that I would no longer be taking part or attending his church anymore. I tried to keep it civil, just telling him that our views and theologies didn't align anymore and for both of our sake I was leaving. He freaked out, telling me it wasn't fair to him or the rest of the congregation that I would leave so abruptly without making alternate arrangements to replace music. He tried to demand I come back until he could find someone else, but I declined and then hung up the phone.

Since then I have had countless church members telling me how disappointed they are that church has been canceled and how I should make things right with God and come back to the church. I have also had the pastor reach back out asking if I would teach guitar to his son if I was really going to leave forever. I have declined. My parents have mentioned that it was rude to leave as abruptly as I did without giving anyone a chance to try and find a replacement.

So, am I the rear end in a top hat for leaving the church with nobody to replace me, essentially making it so that church is cancelled until they find a replacement?

I seem to remember a lot of religious people saying that God will provide, so it's kind of funny. He always seems to think that when it comes to people not being able to have food, or medication, or how they can afford a sick kid, when it comes to something like this, why it's impossible for Him to provide for the church?

AITA for making him watch the baby while I was drinking?

quote:

Been with my husband for 8 years and we just had our first (and last) baby 4.5 months ago. He has hung out with his friends several times since she was born (because his buddy lives literally right beside us). He's a drat good day and an excellent provider for us. I didn't feel slighted when he would leave for a few hours to see his friends and he often told me that "when the time came" that he could watch the baby himself (she's strictly breastfed) that I could go and do whatever I wanted for a night because I "deserved it". I don't know how important that info is.

Anyways, this year none of our family did anything for Thanksgiving and we knew well in advance. But my friend was having a FriendsGiving and we opted to go to that. I knew drinking would be involved so for 2 weeks straight I was pumping and getting baby girl used to a bottle so I could let loose. I had pumped at least enough for 8 feedings. I ended up having my girl friend over after dinner and I let my hair down. I had a bottle of wine between me and her. I was definitely feeling it. My husband had the baby the whole time basically but I was right there too. However, come the end of the night he was acting really irritated. I thought it was because I was too loud (I was pretty loving loud, not gonna lie, but the baby has zero issues sleeping through big noise so she slept fine). I kept asking what was wrong and was met with an irritated "nothing".

Anyways, yesterday he finally made comments about it saying "yeah we aren't having a repeat of that any time soon" and I asked what he meant and he said "it's way too loving soon for you to be acting like that". Now I feel like an idiot.

We seriously need to start Daddy boot camp and make it part of sex ed.

AITA for forcing my nieces and nephews to stay on their cots for 1.5 hours?

quote:

I am a stay at home mom to Elizabeth (4) and I have 2 nieces (2 and 3) and 2 nephews (3 and 4) from my 3 siblings, they all live close to us.

My siblings were having a hard time finding childcare for my nieces and nephews and the topic came up of me watching them. I have all 4 of them from 8:30 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon. They each pay me $200 per kid per week and they bring their own food. Elizabeth goes to preschool in the mornings.

We play at the house in the mornings, walk to Elizabeth’s school at 11, play in the park next to the school for a half hour, come home and eat lunch, then everyone naps from 12:30-2. We have 5 nap mats in the play area. Everyone has a mat and everyone has a sleeping bag. We read a story, I torn off the lights and shut the blinds, turn on the lullaby music, and use that time to start cleaning up.

Now, I have a rule: if you do not want to nap, you don’t have to but you don’t get to get up and play. You either sleep, read, or play quietly on your mat until 2.

My older nephew has really been pushing back on this. He gets up every time I turn around and tries to be as loud as possible while on his mat. I told my brother and SIL about this and they said he doesn’t like naps and to let him play. I refused because if they think they can choose between napping and playing, none of them will nap plus he’ll wake up the other kids.

They’re saying I’m being unfair by forcing him to stay on his mat for the entire 1.5 hours and that it’s not developmentally appropriate. I’m considering telling them to find someone else to watch him because of this. Aita for making them stay on their mats

Pretty sure this is standard operating procedure for all child care. But no, your kid is so special and smart he shouldn't ever have to nap or do what he doesn't want to.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 26, 2023

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for leaving the church even though they can't run service without me?

I seem to remember a lot of religious people saying that God will provide, so it's kind of funny. He always seems to think that when it comes to people not being able to have food, or medication, or how they can afford a sick kid, when it comes to something like this, why it's impossible for Him to provide for the church?

the bitch of it is that you can argue that he did provide, but the loving pastor demonized and alienated who was provided. for more sane people, the argument should be "don't lynch your lynchpin" in general

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Kid doesn’t know how good he’s got it. 34 years old and I’d kill for a midday nap in a little sleeping bag and mat.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

dervival posted:

the bitch of it is that you can argue that he did provide, but the loving pastor demonized and alienated who was provided. for more sane people, the argument should be "don't lynch your lynchpin" in general

people need to be more specific, like with dating apps.

Dear God, please send us someone who is straight, white, Christian, able to "work" for free, never complains, has a great singing voice, will clean up after the service, might be open to private confession, has a thing for married men.

AITA? I may have ruined a marriage

quote:

So I'm 34M. Great friends with a married couple. I'm a little bit Bi when I drink, mostly str8.

The Husband of this couple expressed interest in me sexually for a threesome. The Hubby is Bi and def wanted something with me physically, but he wanted me to be super into his wife. Loved the thought of me thirsting after her. Over the course of several months of spending time with him he kept hyping this up to me and telling me his wife is super into it, it'll happen soon.

I've never gotten sexual vibes toward me from the wife.. only a great friend I love and respect. She's definitely super attractive and my type but I never thought about her that way previously. That's my friend's wife! After numberous convos about this I started to view her the way he wanted me to and was definitely flirty and into her sexually while hubby encouraged me this 3sum would happen and was normal for them.

This led to me feeling more and more awkward spending time with them together, seeing hubby try to facilitate. One night we were drinking.. I decided to text her when we all got home to talk about something she said that hurt my feelings. I ended up telling her the whole ordeal with her husband assuming she knew and just wanted to clear the air/get on the same page.

Apparently the wife had no idea about any of it. Completely blindsided me and said her hubby's lying his butt off, she never had a clue, and he had done stuff like this before. Hubby made me believe it was 100% real, then wifey never had a clue. She got furious and asked me a million questions..

I respect her as a friend and couldn't lie to her. I told her every detail while reiterating that I felt terrible I started drama and that I love them together. I truly have no interest in breaking up that marriage, they are soulmates.

My friend the hubby is so furious with me and it's basically friendship over. Keeps telling me he can't believe Id break bro code and tell her all the fantasy he wasn't serious about. I truly had no idea she didn't know, or that it was something he'd never act on. I was 100% convinced he was serious.

So AITA for telling wifey even when I didn't know she was clueless?

Years ago when looking over dating apps, I was, and should not have been, shocked by how many W4W profiles were posted by the husband. Who was always totally fine with watching (unless I want to let him join, hubba hubba) his wife with another woman. How many of those wives had no loving clue they had ads out there with their names and faces on it.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I'll bow to people with any actual experience at all raising children, but 1 and a half hours seems like a long time to expect a 4-year-old to sit still if they've outgrown naps.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Cowslips Warren posted:

We seriously need to start Daddy boot camp and make it part of sex ed.

Can we make it like an actual bootcamp? I would pay money to get to scream at dipshit guys that can't change a diaper or make a bottle

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 26, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Evil Willow posted:

This has to have been posted before but omg LOL!!!

[MA] BANNED FROM SMASH BROS

update to smash situation

ORIGINAL

EDITED POST

picturing a gentle giant rumbling "aw, fiddlesticks" in a deep bassy voice as he is KO'd. in the corner, the jealous tourney organizer twirls his well-waxed moustache as he plots to get rid of the one player that's too good for him to beat.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cowslips Warren posted:

he said "it's way too loving soon for you to be acting like that".

Yeah, she is a mother now! Doesn't she realize rhat she can never cut loose or act silly again? Its illegal for mothers to have fun!

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go get drunk with my friend at his house and act silly. Fathers are expected to get drunk and act silly. Sorry honey, I don't make the rules.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I'll bow to people with any actual experience at all raising children, but 1 and a half hours seems like a long time to expect a 4-year-old to sit still if they've outgrown naps.

I cannot imagine making my 4 year old do that lol. It would be a disaster. She hasn't napped during the day since like 2.5 at the latest.

Also daycares may have enforced nap times but it can be a massive point of contention for people.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
As a person with ADHD who had to go to a daycare with enforced nap time it was absolute hell for me as a kid and all it lead to was getting reports home where I’d get punished

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

leftist heap posted:

I cannot imagine making my 4 year old do that lol. It would be a disaster. She hasn't napped during the day since like 2.5 at the latest.

Also daycares may have enforced nap times but it can be a massive point of contention for people.

My two girls both stopped napping at home when they were around one but they still nap at daycare. Never been an issue, occasionally they couldn't stay down and would just get tablet time but that was apparently pretty rare

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Quiet time is pretty common practice but an hour and a half seems pretty long for a 4 year old.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I don't have any kids, but whenever I've babysat and a kid doesn't want to go down for a nap or for bedtime I let them quietly play in a dark room, so aren't there options that don't just involve having to lay down and close your eyes or getting to run around doing full active play?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
We observe quiet time in our house, and the older kid usually reads or plays on his tablet while the younger one naps.

Dad and Mom are known to partake in nap time.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

leftist heap posted:

My son has daycare 3x a week and naps those days and then won't go to sleep til like 9-9:30pm it's terrible. But also they can't force him to stay awake either so it's a bit of a lovely situation but better than any of the alternatives.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
drat the protestant work ethic. We should have imported the siesta.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Much too long. I can understand her wanting to have a routine and I can understand the parents going for this cheap version of child care. But for a child that age, it's just not appropriate and if this arrangement is going to keep working she needs to understand that you do have to treat children in different ways depending on all sorts of factors. Four year old can play in another room, so can 3 year old come to that. The others, maybe enforce 1/2 hour rest- after that they can get up or continue sleeping.

Otherwise, the parents will have to pay for trained childcare.

Edit: This is my profession irl and I am very cross and sorry for those kids. Imagine them thinking they have a choice between playing and napping! The nerve of that four year old, leading his rebellion!

Peg Sliderskew fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 26, 2023

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

MajorBonnet posted:

drat the protestant work ethic. We should have imported the siesta.

give it a couple decades and we'll need to reinvent it for most of the south

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The daycare post says the kids doesn't have to nap, they can read or play quietly. Just not do stuff that disturbs the other kids. Seems reasonable.