Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ele/2762357715.html

How unrealistic is this guy being with the price of that 6350q? I've only seen those go for $200-$500. Even if that thing is in as good condition as he says, I don't think anyone would pay that amount other than some insane collector or something like that. And judging by the fact that I've seen this same ad go up a few times over the last two months, I don't think there are too many of those kinds of people around here. Kinda sucks, because I'd be interested in getting one of those if he could be talked down to a reasonable price. It's my understanding that there are way better turntables from that era in the $700 range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'm confused. I'd it just the turntable for $900, or the tuner, amp, tape deck, and TT? $900 doesn't really seem too out of the question for that entire set of stuff.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

minivanmegafun posted:

I'm confused. I'd it just the turntable for $900, or the tuner, amp, tape deck, and TT? $900 doesn't really seem too out of the question for that entire set of stuff.

It looks like he wants $700 for the turntable.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

That's a cool tuner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPFQxHGEMx4&feature=related

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

aricoarena posted:

It looks like he wants $700 for the turntable.

He wanted $900 for all of it and doesn't seem willing to sell items individually, which is probably why he hasn't been able to find a buyer for months.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Saw this posted a few weeks ago and didn't do anything about it

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/2784805210.html

Does anyone have an opinion on the Dual 1246? Seems like a decent table from what I've read. Probably much better than what I have now. I'd just hate for something better and more awesome in every way to pop up after I bought it because that's my luck.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Buddy of mine is looking for a new turntable. I suggested Pro-Ject 3 originally, but it looks like it's manual. Is there anything in the same price range that is semi-auto? I want to suggest vintage but I don't want to have to deal with any issues that crop up.

Funeral Pudding
Jun 20, 2006
My pal the tortoise, fast does he go?

alg posted:

Buddy of mine is looking for a new turntable. I suggested Pro-Ject 3 originally, but it looks like it's manual. Is there anything in the same price range that is semi-auto? I want to suggest vintage but I don't want to have to deal with any issues that crop up.

Denon DP-300f is the only thing that comes to mind, although it is fully automatic.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Sorry if this has been discussed already. I've been wanting to start listening to my vinyl again (girlfriend moved in a couple years ago and I lost my listening station) and I realized that there's room for a turntable on my desk. I recently got a new set of headphones as well as a soundcard/headphone amp combination (Asus Xonar DG) for my computer.

I bought a turntable with a built-in preamp (from a brand called Technosonic... yeah) off Kijiji and proceeded to hook it up to the line-in on my PC. I can play my records through the computer and I can hear them just fine, but they sound like absolute poo poo. No warmth, no separation, very poor bass response, etc.

Is this going to be a reality of trying to run a turntable through a PC rather than using a receiver, or is the shady turntable the likely culprit? I have an old Technics turntable that I could buy a pre-amp for but I don't want to go spending any more money if this set up (turntable -> PC -> headphones) just straight isn't going to work.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

prom candy posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed already. I've been wanting to start listening to my vinyl again (girlfriend moved in a couple years ago and I lost my listening station) and I realized that there's room for a turntable on my desk. I recently got a new set of headphones as well as a soundcard/headphone amp combination (Asus Xonar DG) for my computer.

I bought a turntable with a built-in preamp (from a brand called Technosonic... yeah) off Kijiji and proceeded to hook it up to the line-in on my PC. I can play my records through the computer and I can hear them just fine, but they sound like absolute poo poo. No warmth, no separation, very poor bass response, etc.

Is this going to be a reality of trying to run a turntable through a PC rather than using a receiver, or is the shady turntable the likely culprit? I have an old Technics turntable that I could buy a pre-amp for but I don't want to go spending any more money if this set up (turntable -> PC -> headphones) just straight isn't going to work.

Poor bass response sounds like your preamp isn't working or isn't turned on. Is there a switch for it somewhere on the unit? If you have a receiver, try hooking it up to that and seeing if the problem goes away.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The switch is turned on. I'll try hooking it up to my receiver and see what happens, thanks!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Retarded Pimp posted:

That's a cool tuner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPFQxHGEMx4&feature=related

this owns and I must have it

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I plugged it into my home theatre receiver and got the same thing. No warmth or depth or whatever you want to call it. I also noticed that it seems to play the record a bit fast (I was A/Bing with an MP3 of a vinyl rip of the same song) and I can't close the dust cover while it's playing without it pressing down on the needle and probably messing up my record. Gonna chalk this up to being a cheap crappy record player.

In terms of my intention of going turntable -> preamp -> computer line-in there's nothing wrong with that, is there?

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

prom candy posted:

I plugged it into my home theatre receiver and got the same thing. No warmth or depth or whatever you want to call it. I also noticed that it seems to play the record a bit fast (I was A/Bing with an MP3 of a vinyl rip of the same song) and I can't close the dust cover while it's playing without it pressing down on the needle and probably messing up my record. Gonna chalk this up to being a cheap crappy record player.

In terms of my intention of going turntable -> preamp -> computer line-in there's nothing wrong with that, is there?

I had a look on the Technosonic website and if it's anything like the turntables listed there, then yes, it is definitely the turntable. By the looks of it there is nothing on that site that even remotely qualifies as hi-fi, or even barely mid-fi. Record scrapers with ceramic cartridges and plastic tonearms.

Your idea of turntable->pre->computer is perfectly sound, in fact it is similar to my setup which has the TAPE OUTs of my amp connected to the LINE IN on the PC, then the LINE OUT on the PC connected to the TAPE IN on the amp. Listening through the TAPE IN (i.e. routed through the computer) instead of directly through PHONO shows a slight degradation in sound but nothing serious & my vinyl rips are quite tricky to tell apart from the original.

I would get your Technics up and running again. You don't mention a model number, but even the cheapest plastic P-mount Technics will be light years ahead of the Technosonic junk.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That's what I thought, thanks for confirming. The Technosonic was only $40 on Kijiji and I've listed it back up for $40 so hopefully I can just cut my losses and then drop that $40 on a preamp instead. I work across the street from a high-end audio store so I might go have a chat with the guy in there on my lunch break tomorrow. The Technics is an SL-D31. I don't know a lot about it but my dad claims it was a pretty nice piece back when he got it.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
For all it's faults, the Technosonic turntable with the stand and bonus clock plays my 72 RPM records perfectly.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I just tracked down matched pairs of finals for this Pioneer SX-1700 i've had gathering dust for a decade - one of dad's old receivers. Blows fuses on startup.
Can somebody confirm if I need mica shims between transistor and heatsink? I am assuming yes. Looks to be standard push/pull with one 2SA1263 and one 2SC3180 per channel.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
The heatsink is grounded to the chassis so more than likely you will need a mica insulator to isolate the transistor from it. The metal back of most transistors is electrically connected to the center pin. Use a small bit of silicone thermal grease on both sides of the mica insulator and be sure the legs of the transistor aren't touching the heatsink.

You also have to consider the posibility that one of the parts downstream from the output transitors caused the short in the circuit. One of the driver transistors could have gone bad causing the output transistors to run wide open thus blowing it. The output transistors may not have been the only part to go bad. There are probably several resistors around it that got really hot with so much current being dumped through the circuit.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hmm. I should probably test the power resistors and see if they're still in tolerance. Might want to just go ahead and replace them if they don't look really good electrically - they're not scorched or anything.

I pondered if maybe the fuse is blowing because of one of the MOVs on the AC in, but since my parts are coming from China I wanted to get the transistors on the way here; MOVs are far easier to come across on shorter notice.

I went ahead and ordered a 10-pack of shims and bolt sleeves, figured they'd be handy to have around anyways and they were super cheap. But again, China, so two weeks till I even attempt this fix.

The receiver's not THAT amazing, mainly sentimental value, but I'm not going to dump TOO much into it.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

prom candy posted:

That's what I thought, thanks for confirming. The Technosonic was only $40 on Kijiji and I've listed it back up for $40 so hopefully I can just cut my losses and then drop that $40 on a preamp instead. I work across the street from a high-end audio store so I might go have a chat with the guy in there on my lunch break tomorrow. The Technics is an SL-D31. I don't know a lot about it but my dad claims it was a pretty nice piece back when he got it.

That is a pretty decent turntable, a few rungs up the ladder from completely entry level. It's a direct drive too (albeit not quartz locked), so you won't have to worry about replacing the drive belt. However, I'd usually recommend replacing the cartridge on any vintage turntable for the sake of your vinyl. The SL-D31 is a P-mount unit, which makes cartridge replacement pretty simple (just remove the screw, remove the old cart and pop the new one in - you shouldn't even need to rebalance the arm although unlike many p-mount decks this one will allow you to do so). The budget Audio Technicas are pretty good - quite lively and peppy, if a little light in the bass. Loads and loads of them on eBay - just do a search for 'audio technica cartridge'. Make sure it's a p-mount (also known as T4P) though.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 12, 2012

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Gram-O-Phone posted:

That is a pretty decent turntable, a few rungs up the ladder from completely entry level. It's a direct drive too (albeit not quartz locked), so you won't have to worry about replacing the drive belt. However, I'd usually recommend replacing the cartridge on any vintage turntable for the sake of your vinyl. The SL-D31 is a P-mount unit, which makes cartridge replacement pretty simple (just remove the screw, remove the old cart and pop the new one in - you shouldn't even need to rebalance the arm although unlike many p-mount decks this one will allow you to do so). The budget Audio Technicas are pretty good - quite lively and peppy, if a little light in the bass. Loads and loads of them on eBay - just do a search for 'audio technica cartridge'. Make sure it's a p-mount (also known as T4P) though.

It's not necessary to replace the cartridge outright - if the current one is something worthwhile (say, an AT) it's likely cheaper to replace the stylus only. Replacing the conical with an elliptical helped a lot on my PS-LX430.

That said, P-mounts suck if you're a sperg for tweaking stuff, and I personally hate mine. I'm sure it's better than that Technosonic either way.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How often do these parts need replacing? I was using the Technics pretty extensively in 2007/2008 and it still sounded great. It's just been sitting in my basement since my girlfriend moved in and I had to give up my analog listening zone.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Arghh why does Gruv Glide have to cost so drat much. A can does not last me long enough to justify $40 shipped.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

revmoo posted:

Arghh why does Gruv Glide have to cost so drat much.

Because it's marketed to audiophiles?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Alright I bought a preamp and this sounds great, however I am noticing a decent amount of clicks and pops on a practically brand new record. Does that indicate that the cartridge does indeed need replacing?

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

prom candy posted:

Alright I bought a preamp and this sounds great, however I am noticing a decent amount of clicks and pops on a practically brand new record. Does that indicate that the cartridge does indeed need replacing?

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

A few pops and clicks are pretty much inevitable given the format, but there shouldn't be that many clicks on a new record. That's not to say it doesn't happen, usually through poor quality control at the pressing plant (my copy of Aerial by Kate Bush sounds like it was recorded during a rice krispy eating contest). If all records sound like that then a new stylus might be in order. It's not just the state of the diamond itself which can cause problems, but also the age of the rubber cantilever suspension. If this has perished the ability of the stylus to track the record will be compromised, and this will lead to distortion and possibly increased high frequency noise during loud passages.

Also check to make sure the tracking force isn't too light (which can lead to mistracking) and if your pre-amp has multiple settings (some have a FLAT setting for 78s and a RIAA setting for modern LPs for example) make sure it's set to the PHONO or RIAA setting to avoid excessive treble which would exacerbate surface noise.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 14, 2012

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
A dry record brush and a stylus cleaner can make a huge improvement in the amount of surface noise. If you use it religiously on each and every side, you can prevent a lot of wear and tear on your records and stylus.

The design of a phono preamp can also make a difference in how much surface noise you hear. Better designs can cut the noise from say a surface scratch and still retrieve all the musical information from the groove. All of Graham Slee's designs achieve this. I've scratch built his Genera and bought his Relex M phono preamp.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

http://lansing.craigslist.org/ele/2800471993.html

This is on my local craigslist. Please tell me how stupid I am for not having this locked up already.

I currently have a Technics QX200 which does the job. This would be a big upgrade.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I love how you can immediately tell that a person doesn't use the record player in the pictures because they take a picture with the 45 adapter on top of a 12" 33.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
And the dust cover looks in tact and there's no DJ stickers plastered all over it. Looks like a great deal.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

^^He told me that it's never been used by a DJ and it was owned by a family friend since he bought it new. I think I'm going to do it^^

I've got the guy negotiated down to 100 dollars. Before I pick this up, what does everyone think about this?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Just get him to set it up to try it out, then totally purchase it for $100.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Okay, so I've spent the last week (and like $150) trying to get my turntable back up to speed and I'm still having some issues. Here's my set up:

Technics SL-D31
Grado Black cartridge
TC-750 Phono Preamp
Into line-in on on-board Realtek sound card
Out through PCI Asus Xonar DG combination sound card/headphone amp
Listening on Audio Technica AD-700s

The problem that I'm having is that trebly sections and especially any time a vocalist sings an "S" sound I get a lot of distortion/static. This happens on old records as well as vinyl I've never listened to. The turntable has mostly been treated well for its whole life according to my dad (who had it up until I snagged it from him in 2007), but it did spend two years on a shelf in my unfinished basement (dry in the winter, humid in the summer, that kind of thing). The cartridge is brand new, as is the preamp.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening and how I can fix it? My understanding is that most of this gear is fairly mid-level, so I'm really expecting better output than this. Thanks :)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

That's sibilance. You probably have to calibrate your table with a protractor. Check vinyl engine.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Looks like this is a case of RTFM, I had the counter-weight and anti-skate set for 1.25 grams but the Grado Black wants 1.5 grams. It's not perfect, but it sounds much, much better. Thanks for sending me in the right direction.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
Was just typing a reply when I noticed you had already responded - glad you got it sorted! You could even try going about .25g above the manufacturers specified tracking force - I usually do to ensure secure tracking in the groove, and it might sound even better. It won't damage the vinyl either - remember, slightly too high a force is better than slightly too low.

Oh, and one other thing, let that Grado run in for a while - cartridges can take a few hours to loosen up and shake off their rough edges. My Ortofon sounded bloody awful when I first got it, hard and forward and not pleasant to listen to. It became the best sounding cartridge I've ever owned.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 19, 2012

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The measurements on my counter weight seem to top out at 1.5 though it looks like I can just keep going. I may have spoken too soon, I'm listening to a record right now with male and female vocalists, and the female tracks are still pretty sibilant.

My house is old and there's not a level surface in the place, I imagine that might contribute to the problem as well?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

prom candy posted:

The measurements on my counter weight seem to top out at 1.5 though it looks like I can just keep going.

My house is old and there's not a level surface in the place, I imagine that might contribute to the problem as well?

The demarcations on your counterweight are probably less than accurate, you're better off investing in a scale.

And can someone with more expertise on the topic comment on the second part? My apartment is likewise unelevel, and I'm moving into a new place that's 140 years old and won't be any better!

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

minivanmegafun posted:

The demarcations on your counterweight are probably less than accurate, you're better off investing in a scale.

And can someone with more expertise on the topic comment on the second part? My apartment is likewise unelevel, and I'm moving into a new place that's 140 years old and won't be any better!

The record player absolutely has to be level. I believe some record players have feet that can be adjusted to make them level. If yours doesn't then you just have to shim the legs on whatever the record player is resting on to level it. I don't recommend shimming the record player itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuked
Jul 5, 2011
I've decided on what turntable to purchase (Audio Technica LP60). And now I'm looking for a decent pair of speakers around $100 that have a decent amount of bass, I listen to a lot of hip-hop and bass is a must for me. I'm looking for good sound quality, but I have my ATH-M50s for backup when I'm looking to do so.