Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Is it possible to have two libraries in the same iTunes? I have my music which is in the library, but I dont want my girlfriend's music cluttering it up. I'm on Windows if it makes a difference.

Or is there a way to meta tag our music into his n hers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apps
Oct 3, 2009
Just throw "his" "hers" into the comment field and use smart playlists.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Its a shame I can't do a smart play list by directory :(

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
If she has her own computer, set up Home Sharing.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

gwar3k1 posted:

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Its a shame I can't do a smart play list by directory :(

Just tell her that if this relationship is going to last she has to like and listen to your music and she has 30 days to pick out 10 songs she is allowed to keep that you must approve before all music is deleted.

That should do the trick without having to mess with iTunes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

gwar3k1 posted:

Hold option/alt while launching the program, and you can pick a new library file. Then you can have the source files be whatever.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I upgraded my computer from Vista64 Ultimate to Win7 64 Ultimate, and then upgraded to iTunes 9.03. Before upgrading to Win7 I deauthorized my computer, then reautorized it after the upgrade. Now, about every other time when I sync my iPhone it tells me my computer is not authorized for purchases, I put in the info and it let's me know that the computer was already authorized and every thing is good. While it's no big problem, I find it annoying. Is there a semaphore file I need to delete? What is it that is changing that's telling iTunes I'm not authorized. (Oh, and my number of authorized computers doesn't change).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
e: never mind, found it

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Phillyt posted:

What's the minimum image size for album artwork so it looks fine in iTunes and obviously my iPod Nano (and iPod Touch in the future...)? I just want to make sure that it doesn't look grainy or blown up.

Also, is there a way to sort music by country or make playlists based on a country tag?

I usually aim for at least 500x500 for my album artwork. Any smaller than that, they start looking fuzzy and weird, especially if you use Front Row or AppleTV.

What I do is use the 'Groupings' field for country tagging. UK/USA/Australia/Europe/Other. It works pretty well, and makes for easy playlists.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am surprised that I haven't found the answer to this yet, but when you buy and DL a song in iTunes, can you download the song only once or can you download it repeatedly as long as the PC is authorized.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
You can download it only once, without the involvement of customer support.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am surprised that I haven't found the answer to this yet, but when you buy and DL a song in iTunes, can you download the song only once or can you download it repeatedly as long as the PC is authorized.

You can only download it once but you can freely back it up and copy it around like any file. Only authorized copies of iTunes will be able to play it.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

haveblue posted:

You can only download it once but you can freely back it up and copy it around like any file. Only authorized copies of iTunes will be able to play it.

Really? I never realized it. I just assumed that it would work as a music version of Steam. Glad someone told me. I havent downloaded much, so it wont affect me anyway I guess, still good to know.

Aurelius
Jun 19, 2002

I'm having an odd problem with the current and previous version of iTunes on Windows 7.

I've got 6 smart playlists that I commonly carry on my iPod Touch: Rank4+, Rank3+, iPod Rotation, Classical, Opera, and Bluegrass. iTunes is set to only sync checked playlists to the iPod.

When my iPod is connected to iTunes, iTunes shows that all 6 playlists are loaded on the iPod. The playlists screen on the iPod only shows 5 of them, though, plus the "Genius" and "On the Go" playlists that I don't use. The songs contained in the playlist are on the iPod, but the playlist itself doesn't show up on the playlist screen.

Lately, it's been the "Bluegrass" playlist that doesn't show up. Just as a shot in the dark, I made a copy of that playlist in iTunes (now I have a Bluegrass and a Bluegrass 2) and set both of them to be synced to the iPod. Now the Bluegrass playlist shows up, but the Bluegrass 2 playlist does not - it seems that the iPod doesn't see whatever the "last" playlist is.

I reset the iPod to factory defaults, but that had no effect.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Anyone ever have an issue like I'm having?

Whenever I'm downloading a podcast from itunes my internet connection takes a huge poo poo, it doesn't matter if it's getting a single one, or grabbing 3 at the same time. It completely fucks everything, web pages won't load, etc...

I'm guessing it's a router issue because my ISP provided 2Wire router/modem is known for being pretty terrible.

I'd like to know if there's any tcp or udp ports I could mess with to try and solve the problem.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

maniacripper posted:

Anyone ever have an issue like I'm having?

Whenever I'm downloading a podcast from itunes my internet connection takes a huge poo poo, it doesn't matter if it's getting a single one, or grabbing 3 at the same time. It completely fucks everything, web pages won't load, etc...

I'm guessing it's a router issue because my ISP provided 2Wire router/modem is known for being pretty terrible.

I'd like to know if there's any tcp or udp ports I could mess with to try and solve the problem.
It's probably your router. There is no reason to open ports or mess with your router configuration if you're downloading podcasts. Your computer initiates the connections, so most firewalls don't block any communication.

ElBob
May 16, 2004

Kaylee, what the hell's going on in the engine room? Were there monkeys?

maniacripper posted:

router/modem

I'd be willing to bet this is the problem. Those combo boxes cause all sorts of interesting poo poo.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Creature posted:

I usually aim for at least 500x500 for my album artwork. Any smaller than that, they start looking fuzzy and weird, especially if you use Front Row or AppleTV.

What I do is use the 'Groupings' field for country tagging. UK/USA/Australia/Europe/Other. It works pretty well, and makes for easy playlists.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to shoot for that or above for resolutions but it might be really hard in some cases where I don't have the art.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm out of space on my C drive and I've moved all my music to my D drive. What is the best way of updating my iTunes library without losing playcount, gapless info, artwork, ratings, etc.?

Whenever I've done this in the past I've just deleted everything from the library and loaded up the mega music folder back into iTunes.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

KingKapalone posted:

I'm out of space on my C drive and I've moved all my music to my D drive. What is the best way of updating my iTunes library without losing playcount, gapless info, artwork, ratings, etc.?

Whenever I've done this in the past I've just deleted everything from the library and loaded up the mega music folder back into iTunes.

Move everything back to the C Drive. Change the primary music location in iTunes, and then tell iTunes to organize your library. It will copy everything over to the D drive.

Or you could possibly do some kind of magic with exporting and importing your library, but that sounds hard.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

FISHMANPET posted:

Move everything back to the C Drive. Change the primary music location in iTunes, and then tell iTunes to organize your library. It will copy everything over to the D drive.

Or you could possibly do some kind of magic with exporting and importing your library, but that sounds hard.

If he's already moved the iTunes Library folder from his C drive to his D drive, all he should need to do is point iTunes to the new location. It should ask on launch once it realizes the old folder is gone.

Edit: It occurs to me now he might have left the library folder alone and just moved the song files or their enclosing folders out of it, or possibly he didn't have iTunes organizing his files in the iTunes Library folder to begin with. In that case your advice is definitely necessary.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 10, 2010

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
At this point I have two copies of my music collection and iTunes still operates using the music on the C drive. I don't use iTunes to organize everything, but I do have it pointing to my music folder where it created a folder called iTunes that stores all the artwork and I'm assuming playcount, ratings, etc.

Are you saying that if I point iTunes at the iTunes folder inside my music folder on the D drive, it should just change the location of all the tracks still in my library to point at their new location on the D drive?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

At this point I have two copies of my music collection and iTunes still operates using the music on the C drive. I don't use iTunes to organize everything, but I do have it pointing to my music folder where it created a folder called iTunes that stores all the artwork and I'm assuming playcount, ratings, etc.

Are you saying that if I point iTunes at the iTunes folder inside my music folder on the D drive, it should just change the location of all the tracks still in my library to point at their new location on the D drive?

You can move/copy your iTunes Library folder around willy-nilly and just point iTunes to the new folder each time, but unless your music is also in there that doesn't help you much.

The only way I know of that moving things will work is if you change to having iTunes organize your music. If you don't want that then hopefully there's another way to do it that someone will speak up about.

That said, delete the music and stuff you copied to D. Open iTunes, and in the advanced prefs choose a new location for your library (wherever you want it on D). At that point, your library data is on D but it's still pointing to your music files on C. To make iTunes copy your files over, go to File > Library > Organize Library... (that's where it is on my Mac anyway), check "Consolidate Files" and iTunes will copy all your music files into its library folder (which is now on D).

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

You can move/copy your iTunes Library folder around willy-nilly and just point iTunes to the new folder each time, but unless your music is also in there that doesn't help you much.

The only way I know of that moving things will work is if you change to having iTunes organize your music. If you don't want that then hopefully there's another way to do it that someone will speak up about.

That said, delete the music and stuff you copied to D. Open iTunes, and in the advanced prefs choose a new location for your library (wherever you want it on D). At that point, your library data is on D but it's still pointing to your music files on C. To make iTunes copy your files over, go to File > Library > Organize Library... (that's where it is on my Mac anyway), check "Consolidate Files" and iTunes will copy all your music files into its library folder (which is now on D).

Doesn't it then organize the folders how it wants? I don't want it to mess with my folder structure.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

Doesn't it then organize the folders how it wants? I don't want it to mess with my folder structure.

Alternatively, it's probably been brought up before so you could try digging through the thread.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I've been having extremely slow connections to the itunes store for downloading anything for the last two weeks on both my apple tv and my computer - but no impact on other websites. Apple support forums are a wasteland. Has anyone else run into this and fixed it?

Is there some router configuration issue that I should be tweaking? Is it an ISP issue?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Bozart posted:

I've been having extremely slow connections to the itunes store for downloading anything for the last two weeks on both my apple tv and my computer - but no impact on other websites. Apple support forums are a wasteland. Has anyone else run into this and fixed it?

Is there some router configuration issue that I should be tweaking? Is it an ISP issue?

The iTunes store downloads are from servers which are chosen based on your location generally using DNS or anycast IP's. Are you using custom DNS servers?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

chimz posted:

The iTunes store downloads are from servers which are chosen based on your location generally using DNS or anycast IP's. Are you using custom DNS servers?

My router is using the ones provided by Verizon: 167.206.251.129, 167.206.251.130

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Bozart posted:

My router is using the ones provided by Verizon: 167.206.251.129, 167.206.251.130

Changed it to L3's 4.2.2.2 and it is much faster. I guess verizon is screwing up the routing tables?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

KingKapalone posted:

I've maintained my own folder structure and moved my iTunes stuff to different drives before, but in folders that were named the same (driveA/mp3 -> driveB/mp3 -- my library files were always in my homefolder). I guess it would be possible to change nesting levels as well.

I basically just moved the folder and told iTunes the new location. Checked get info on a few songs and it showed the correct new location.

I wanna stop bothering, cause my own structure is starting to get to be a mess, but there's some metadata in there that would be lost, and I haven't gotten around to it.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
When you're downloading a podcast, is there a way to download all the episodes? I've just subscribed to a podcast with 100 episodes, and I want all of them. It's automatically downloaded the most recent one - am I going to have to click the other 99 individually to queue them up? I can't see a 'download all' option anywhere :(

Edit - nevermind, just worked it out :)

Bloodbath fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 11, 2010

thisisme
Dec 24, 2008
Can someone please help me get my songs from my ipod to my computer. Started to scan through this thread but I couldn't find it, though I'm sure it's in here somewhere. I've done it before where I'm able to see the hidden files but then when they are on my computer some are labeled DXCS or something like that. Is there a free software that can help me with this or a way to get the random letters unscrambled and back to the original song name?

revolther
May 27, 2008
I used to use YamiPod to get music off iPod's. I imagine it still works. I think it takes care of the naming problem too, but if not, you could use something like mp3tagger to batch convert the tags to filenames.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Carthag posted:

I've maintained my own folder structure and moved my iTunes stuff to different drives before, but in folders that were named the same (driveA/mp3 -> driveB/mp3 -- my library files were always in my homefolder). I guess it would be possible to change nesting levels as well.

I basically just moved the folder and told iTunes the new location. Checked get info on a few songs and it showed the correct new location.

I wanna stop bothering, cause my own structure is starting to get to be a mess, but there's some metadata in there that would be lost, and I haven't gotten around to it.

I haven't changed any of the folders, but I'm not sure if this will work. iTunes Media Folder Location currently points to Music/iTunes/iTunes Music which really has nothing in it. All of my music is in the first main directory of Music. That iTunes folder is just one of many folders, but the rest are all bands.

What is the purpose of File -> Library -> Export Library? Shouldn't that have something to do with all of this?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

KingKapalone posted:

I haven't changed any of the folders, but I'm not sure if this will work. iTunes Media Folder Location currently points to Music/iTunes/iTunes Music which really has nothing in it. All of my music is in the first main directory of Music. That iTunes folder is just one of many folders, but the rest are all bands.

What is the purpose of File -> Library -> Export Library? Shouldn't that have something to do with all of this?

Export Library will create a library file from the current library. It's basically just copying the iTunes Library XML file.

What I would do in your case is shut down iTunes, copy the Music folder to the other drive & rename the old one so iTunes won't see it. Then start iTunes up again with option held down (I think that's it) and select the library from the new location.

If it doesn't work, you should still be able to recover by renaming the old folder back, if it does, keep it around for a while before deleting just in case.

---

A safer way, but it will lose you your date-added info: Export your library, edit the XML to the paths you want (some careful search/replace) and copy the files to where you edited the XML to point to. Then rename the old iTunes folder (for backup as above) & start iTunes so it starts afresh. Tell it to import the playlist (XML you exported) - it will preserve playcounts / smart playlists / what have you *except* date added.

---

Another way:

Edit the paths with http://code.google.com/p/titl/ directly in the binary file.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 11, 2010

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Carthag posted:

Export Library will create a library file from the current library. It's basically just copying the iTunes Library XML file.

What I would do in your case is shut down iTunes, copy the Music folder to the other drive & rename the old one so iTunes won't see it. Then start iTunes up again with option held down (I think that's it) and select the library from the new location.

If it doesn't work, you should still be able to recover by renaming the old folder back, if it does, keep it around for a while before deleting just in case.

---

A safer way, but it will lose you your date-added info: Export your library, edit the XML to the paths you want (some careful search/replace) and copy the files to where you edited the XML to point to. Then rename the old iTunes folder (for backup as above) & start iTunes so it starts afresh. Tell it to import the playlist (XML you exported) - it will preserve playcounts / smart playlists / what have you *except* date added.

---

Another way:

Edit the paths with http://code.google.com/p/titl/ directly in the binary file.

I tried the renaming idea and it asked me to load a new library so I found the one in the iTunes folder on the D drive, but when it loaded the library, all the locations pointed to the old C drive location and everything was broken.

I ended up exporting the Library.xml file, find/replaced all the paths, pointed iTunes to my new music folder, deleted the existing iTunes Library.itl file, then imported the modified Library.xml file as a playlist. It kept everything except date added. Thanks.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Does iTunes log errors somewhere? I'm trying to add music to my library so that I can sync it with my iPhone and it seems like maybe half of all my mp3s just won't add. iTunes doesn't throw an error or otherwise complain it just sort of silently doesn't do anything. In some cases adding a particular artist will result in 1 of their albums being added just fine, while another albums silently fails.

I've tried to analyze any differences between the mp3s that work and those that don't and I can't find any common trend. All the mp3s play perfectly fine in foobar/WMP/Quicktime so it doesn't appear to be a decoder isue or problem with malformed files.

It's driving me crazy, does anybody have any ideas?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cuntpunch posted:

Does iTunes log errors somewhere? I'm trying to add music to my library so that I can sync it with my iPhone and it seems like maybe half of all my mp3s just won't add. iTunes doesn't throw an error or otherwise complain it just sort of silently doesn't do anything. In some cases adding a particular artist will result in 1 of their albums being added just fine, while another albums silently fails.

I've tried to analyze any differences between the mp3s that work and those that don't and I can't find any common trend. All the mp3s play perfectly fine in foobar/WMP/Quicktime so it doesn't appear to be a decoder isue or problem with malformed files.

Are you adding into a new emtpty playlist?If not, try that. I prefer to do that so I know exactly what gets added.

If iTunes still rejects the file either or it still cannot be opened by iTunes, the filetype is wrong.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Carthag posted:

Are you adding into a new emtpty playlist?If not, try that. I prefer to do that so I know exactly what gets added.

If iTunes still rejects the file either or it still cannot be opened by iTunes, the filetype is wrong.

Either I'm misunderstanding you or you aren't reading what I wrote. From what I can tell, right now, attempting to make sense of "adding into a new empty playlist" all music has to be in the Library before you can add it to a playlist. When I try to add music to the Library - it fails silently without any messages. The files I am trying to add open and play perfectly well in any media player including Quicktime. They're just mp3s with ID3 tags, nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Cuntpunch posted:

I had a similar problem a few years ago, and apparently it was due to corruption/errors in the mp3 files themselves which many other programs just ignore but iTunes crapped out on. I used mp3val (http://mp3val.sourceforge.net/) to scan and fix them, then had no issues adding them to iTunes.