Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The idea that Yakuza 4 would even have player characters other than Kiryu seemed insane at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I guess that is good cause I haven't spoiled too much for myself. Yakuza 3 and 4 share the exact same engine, right? I'm really excited to get to 3 and see how it compares to 4 since I assume it is more like the first two and sticks to Kiryu's story.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Housh posted:

I guess that is good cause I haven't spoiled too much for myself. Yakuza 3 and 4 share the exact same engine, right? I'm really excited to get to 3 and see how it compares to 4 since I assume it is more like the first two and sticks to Kiryu's story.
I think they all basically have the same engine, 1 all the way through 5, just prettied up a bit along the way.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Really? I thought Binary Domain was using their new engine that they also used in Y5. I thought the demo for 5 felt less clunky than 4 but maybe that was the pretty graphics playing tricks on me.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sega spoke a bunch about how they were making a new engine for Yakuza 5, although I don't know if that was legit or if that was just them cribbing from the Call of Duty marketing.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Honestly the only thing that ever bothered me was the loading time between fights and roaming. I guess if you played a lot of JRPGs with random battles you would be more used to that and it wouldn't cause a disconnect.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Sega spoke a bunch about how they were making a new engine for Yakuza 5, although I don't know if that was legit or if that was just them cribbing from the Call of Duty marketing.
I think they did in the same sense that Bethesda made a new engine for Skyrim. Shockingly, it looks and feels almost identical to the old ones except for more polygons and fancier effects!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yakuza 5 fixes the loading for fights and I think that's it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm nearing the end of Yakuza 2 and I'm getting scared that I'll be out of Yakuza soon. I just have Y3 left...how bad was Dead Souls? I think I might as well pick it up since I'm in this deep already. $20 new sound right?

Kenzan! looks amazing specially after learning about the Tojo past in Y2. The PSP brawler Shinshō looks really cool too which I never heard of until recently. Has anyone played it?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Dead Souls was amusing, 20 dollars is certainly a good price. Just keep in mind that it isnt so much a shooter as it is a beat-em-up with guns.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's worth the price of entry just for being able to play as Majima. Not to mention that you can go do some karaoke as him which is amazing.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Do you really miss out on anything if you play the games out of order? I ask because I was planning to pick up Yakuza 4, as the consensus seems to be that it's the best jumping-on point. However, is there any determent with going back to the older games in terms of gameplay, or concerning spoilers with the digests in Y4?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Max Wilco posted:

Do you really miss out on anything if you play the games out of order? I ask because I was planning to pick up Yakuza 4, as the consensus seems to be that it's the best jumping-on point. However, is there any determent with going back to the older games in terms of gameplay, or concerning spoilers with the digests in Y4?
1 is a little rough, but the combat system is more or less mature (as it's going to get, anyway) as of 2. I don't think there is that much in terms of spoilers, since Kiryu's situation hardly changes from game to game (he wants to get away from the life but it keeps sucking him back in), and the other characters are all new.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The games come with recaps of the past games so jumping into a later game isn't a problem story wise. However like most games, jumping to an older game will make you miss the gameplay improvements the newer versions have. So it depends on how much you care about such a thing. Yakuza 2's fighting system and moving around the city feels different enough from Yakuza 3 and 4s that I think it's not that big of a problem to go back to and it won't feel as such a downgrade. Yakuza 1 is really clunky though.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I played Yakuza 4 first and now am going through all the old ones. I'm having a great time and I'm glad I played Yakuza 4 first to ease me into the series. Pretty much the same sequence of events happen in every game. The only thing they did different with the formula in 4 was have new characters that did the sequences instead of just Kiryu. Going back I didn't find Yakuza 1 to play that clunky. It wasn't like playing Assassin's Creed 1 after playing through 2. Also the first two games seem very short compared to 4 so you can fly through them if you were to revisit.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

One nice thing about playing them in order is getting to see the city increase in fidelity with each successive iteration while still remaining familiar and instantly recognizable as "the same place". Can't think of any other games that try anything similar. It's really neat.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah I agree. I had trouble navigating Kamurocho when I started Yakuza 4 and was super frustrated by the map but now playing 1 & 2 I just know all the streets and where everything is. It's a really awesome series.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

tooooooo bad posted:

One nice thing about playing them in order is getting to see the city increase in fidelity with each successive iteration while still remaining familiar and instantly recognizable as "the same place". Can't think of any other games that try anything similar. It's really neat.

I just wish they would add more places than they do. I mean it is cool and all that I can go into the same store for like 4 straight games, but at this point half the buildings on the map should be enterable.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Housh posted:

I played Yakuza 4 first and now am going through all the old ones. I'm having a great time and I'm glad I played Yakuza 4 first to ease me into the series. Pretty much the same sequence of events happen in every game. The only thing they did different with the formula in 4 was have new characters that did the sequences instead of just Kiryu. Going back I didn't find Yakuza 1 to play that clunky. It wasn't like playing Assassin's Creed 1 after playing through 2. Also the first two games seem very short compared to 4 so you can fly through them if you were to revisit.
Thank you. That makes me a lot more motivated on picking up Y4, and the rest of the series.

Additionally, should I hold my breath on the Yakuza HD Collection coming to the US? I ask because copies of Y2 on Amazon are far more expensive than any of the other games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Max Wilco posted:

Thank you. That makes me a lot more motivated on picking up Y4, and the rest of the series.

Additionally, should I hold my breath on the Yakuza HD Collection coming to the US? I ask because copies of Y2 on Amazon are far more expensive than any of the other games.
It's okay since if you hold your breath long enough you'll just pass out and your breathing will return to normal, no harm done.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

See if you can hold your breath until the end of September in case they announce the HD remakes at Tokyo Game Show. A friend gave me their PS2 and I'm bored as poo poo this summer so I picked up 1&2. I got them from eBay used $30 for both shipped. I just sent a best offer to the guy who was asking $40.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Sorry, but I have another question: When Yakuza 4 shipped in the US, it came packaged with DLC codes for bonus modes, like the Fighting Arena, and Survival Mode. Looking on the PSN store, I found a free DLC pack, but it seems to list different content. If you're buying the game used, is there no other way to get that content?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 21, 2013

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm pretty sure it's the same poo poo. I have the retail North American copy and the code slip says: Bonus dlc featuring unlockable costumes for the characters, new game modes "endless survival tag" "battle king" and "speed king."

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Housh posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the same poo poo. I have the retail North American copy and the code slip says: Bonus dlc featuring unlockable costumes for the characters, new game modes "endless survival tag" "battle king" and "speed king."
I'm not so sure. The description for the DLC on PSN only lists costumes, level boosts, and new karaoke songs. There’s nothing about the items listed on the code slip, but maybe that’s an error on Sony’s part. It isn't a big deal, I was just wondering if I'd be losing out on something if I wasn't able to play any of the DLC content.

SlippyFists
Jul 16, 2007

To The Flowers of Time!

I went and picked up Yakuza 3 & 4 yesterday to finish up all the side-quests and mini-games that I didn't play on my first run through of the game. When I installed both games and went to load my saves, my PS3 said that I didn't have any saved games, even though I looked in my save folder and cloud folder, and they were there. Is there some kind of trick to get these save files to load, or am I screwed?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wild guess but did you use any DLC? If so then maybe you have to redownload them.

SlippyFists
Jul 16, 2007

To The Flowers of Time!

Yeah, I did download the DLC when I played both games, I'll go see if that's the problem.

Edit: Didn't work. That sucks because I beat both games on the hardest difficulty so I had two nice save files :(

SlippyFists fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 21, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Did you happen to play the games on a different profile than you're using now?

SlippyFists
Jul 16, 2007

To The Flowers of Time!

Nope, using the same profile as before. I'll just have to beat both games again.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

I ask because copies of Y2 on Amazon are far more expensive than any of the other games.

If you're lucky, you might find it at a local GameStop for $17. That was how I found my copy.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess people who are ignorant of that, ignorant of how bad VC3 is, and ignorant of how awesome Yakuza 5 is, are the people who are voting.

Yakuza 5 is just such a high bar I'm dying to see how they'll improve upon it. I mean it's really head and shoulders above the other games.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The WiiU demo of Yakuza 1 & 2 HD will be up today in the Japanese eShop.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Does anyone remember what Tanimura's throw move is before you unlock the armbar takedown thing? Is it just a normal shoulder throw? It's been a while and the armbar takedown was one of the first moves I unlocked so I spent very little time without it so I can't remember what it was at all.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just finished Yakuza 2 and I think I enjoyed it more than 4. I really hope we get the HD versions cause I would love to have an excuse to play it again. I'm gonna take a short break before I start 3.

I got Dead Souls in the mail and was looking at the back of the box when I noticed it actually supports 1080P. Does 5 run in full 1080 too?

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

Housh posted:

The PSP brawler Shinshō looks really cool too which I never heard of until recently. Has anyone played it?
I think I'm the only one who will recommend playing it. It's a neat spin-off of Yakuza's formula, that plays a lot more like a Fight Night kind of game or a fighting game. It has more directional input than a traditional Yakuza game.

It's worth a look if you're really into the Yakuza series. I wouldn't recommend playing it all the way through if you don't know Japanese though. I tried to without a guide and ended up lost and confused thirty minutes in and spent four hours utterly destroying street punks with MMA finishers.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Finished Y3. I think it was my least favourite of the series but I still have Dead Souls to go. I'm actually really curious to see what Dead Souls is like after marathoning the series. I hope it's all comedic relief.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Housh posted:

Finished Y3. I think it was my least favourite of the series but I still have Dead Souls to go.

Definitely. There's a lot of good along the way, with one of the manliest events in the entire series, but ultimate antagonist is the least badass so far.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Housh posted:

Finished Y3. I think it was my least favourite of the series but I still have Dead Souls to go. I'm actually really curious to see what Dead Souls is like after marathoning the series. I hope it's all comedic relief.

This is an unpopular opinion but it's one of my absolute favorites. Y5 is definitely the tops though.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Ok so I finished part 1 in dead souls and goddamn is the camera and aiming a nightmare. It's pure torture as the cutscenes and story are great. Even though it's been super easy playing on normal so far I am thinking of putting down to Easy so I can fly through it. I don't get it...the shooting in Binary Domain was fine. How did they botch this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Well, Binary Domain was made afterwards; Dead Souls is really sort of a trial run for that game and it shows.

• Locked thread