Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuck. marry. t-rex

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck. marry. t-rex

As far as "what's on hand" I did have to go out of my way to oil my pan, but it's basically part of the cost imo

treasure bear

i figured it would be best to just stick to what I cook with

fuck. marry. t-rex

I cooked some stuff recently bUT my real excitement is im getting a 10" chef knife soon and it's gonna be my child and I'm gonna name it

fuck. marry. t-rex

For thanksgiving I made a mushroom gravy with some sherry I deglazed the sautee pan with

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
I just wanted to post to say I still love you all, and owe you an effort post regarding my life as a professional cook. That post, unfortunately, will not come today.

I'd like to make a reccomendetion for a high end, but reasonalbly priced chef knife, with all of the knives chat : this one MAC used an incredibly high end steel, a co-worker has one and after sharpening it the other day I was able to get a razor edge with ease, and sharpened in a a similar manner to my misono ux10, which I paid $250 for. Lifetime warranty as well, it is really a great knife. I have the 8.5" gyoto linked which is the type of knife I use. My misono is my backed at the moment, I use a takeda for my workhorse, which is well above the price point for anyone using a casual knife. The MAC has a sturdy chef knife for pro use, buy one for home and take care of it, and you will have a knife for life. Henkels can suck a dick compared to high end knives like these.

I secondly, want to mention that i love you all, and I am glad to see this thread alive and well. I don't know if I've mentioned it, but I've received a promotion at work, I am the executive sous chef now, with a crew of 50 some line cooks and 30 or so expediters and food runners working for me. 12 hour days are the average, but working 10am to midnight isn't unheard of. I am very, very busy and would love to participate, in this thread more, but putting the time in for,true effort posts get put to the wayside at this time in my life.

Tldr; I love you all, keep doing what your doing, this is a great thread, keep it alive

joke_explainer

We appreciate you too om nom nom!! I broke down a raw turkey for the first time ever last night. It went surprisingly well. I've done plenty of chickens and turkeys are basically just super mutant chickens. Here is the menu I am cooking tomorrow for delayed thanksgiving:

Rolled Turkey Breast "Turchetta" (like porchetta) sous vide, deep fried after sous vide to crisp crust (already got the turchetta tied up and in a vacuum bag)

Sorry for the hideous photo. It was very tiring, I'm glad I got it in roughly the right configuration. But that's two complete turkey breasts, butterflied and laid out like one flat layer then wrapped up in the intact skin of the chicken breast. I gave up any notion of fancy butchers ties with one long piece of string and just started tying where I could.

Red wine braised turkey legs / wings that are going to braise in the smoker outside (hopefully it puts out the heat we need, really need two ovens for this poo poo)

Green beans, pearl onions and mushrooms (wish I had cippiloni onions but they were out)

Hasselback Potato Gratin

Smoky Jalapeno & Cranberry sauce

and

Classic Sage and Sausage stuffing

Cooking starts tomorrow: a good amount of the prep is already done. We also already made the pie:

Apple pecan bourbon caramel pie

I'll get photos of it tomorrow. But yeah. Accountability post. I will post however our renditions of these things end up. Hopefully they don't humiliate me and I'm shunned from the culinary circles of this storied thread forever.

joke_explainer

I burnt the heck out of the potatoes. I am very sad because they looked amazing until I neglected them for like the final 5 minutes. gently caress. They were still very tasty, barely burnt at the top, but it just ruined my mood. Everything else turned out well. I did not have enough time between all the different dishes to take nice RAW pictures with the good camera, but I do have phone pictures I'll upload tomorrow.

joke_explainer

The full spread:

The potatoes before they went into the oven when anything was possible and the day was beautiful:

They looked great up until the final step, where you put them under the broiler and are supposed to babysit them. I got distracted for 5 drat minutes.

gently caress

Turns out putting more cheese on it did not make it less burnt. I'm very embarrassed by those drat potatoes. They were close to being perfect and took a lot of effort.

The turkey breast rollade / turkey turchetta thing came out amazing:

Very easy to carve as there's no bones. Skin was nice and crispy. One problem was it had a bit too much sage. :ohdear: The guests didn't complain and loved it, but next time I would put probably 1/4th as much sage and maybe some thyme too.

Internal temp was 140 °F, which is fine because it set at that temp for like 4 hours. The interior was juicy and great.

The legs / wings turned out great too, the braising worked great despite using my smoker as an aux oven.

This leg did not turn out as deep mahogany as the other, but yeah, super tender and delicious.

Green beans / onion thing. One vegetable dish I did not gently caress up in any way, these ended up very tasty. The onions kind of just disintegrated as they cooked down unfortunately.

Stuffing, which was like a big sausage, celery, onion, garlic, shallot bread pudding.

Plate of food including burnt up hasselback potatoes:

Pie:

Pie was amazing.

joke_explainer

We also had gravy of course, made from the red wine / homemade stock braising liquid and a brown roux. We also had cranberry sauce... that we forgot about and left in the fridge. C'est la vie.

treasure bear

looks delicious

alnilam

I'd still enjoy the h*ck out of those potatoes i bet

Robot Made of Meat

That looks tasty, and I'd eat the h*ck out of it.

A while back, HyVee's magazine had a recipe for those potatoes, and I suggested to my roommate that he make them. He's usually a very good cook, but they ended up burned.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i tried the hyvee hasselbeck recipe, too, and also burned them. no shame in a burnt tater chip roast. everyone does it at least once or twice, especially during holidays. looks good! especially the pie. please fax the pie.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I've never heard of these hasslehoff potatoes in my life until this year and now they are everywhere. What the hell.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bo-Pepper posted:

I've never heard of these hasslehoff potatoes in my life until this year and now they are everywhere. What the hell.

they've been wildly popular in germany for the last 20 years but virtually unheard of stateside

treasure bear

roast dinner roast dinner roast dinner

Robot Made of Meat

treasure bear posted:

roast dinner roast dinner roast dinner

This dinner looks delicious, yet suspiciously round.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Fanky Malloons

Is your social worker inside that horse?

Robot Made of Meat posted:

This dinner looks delicious, yet suspiciously round.

I'd still eat it.

Here's a question for goons who are good at food: I find cooking and meal planning super overwhelming (because I'm p sure I have raging ADHD, LOL), and I am distressed because I'm starting a full time job soon and I honestly don't know how I'm supposed to figure out what to make-and-eat for breakfast, lunch AND dinner every single day, and when I'm supposed to make these things (because I'll be at work!!). How do you do this????

:krad: sig brought to you by the amazing & beautiful vanisher, feat. Helle Woods, artisinally designed by Death Sext !!!

alnilam

Fanky Malloons posted:

I'd still eat it.

Here's a question for goons who are good at food: I find cooking and meal planning super overwhelming (because I'm p sure I have raging ADHD, LOL), and I am distressed because I'm starting a full time job soon and I honestly don't know how I'm supposed to figure out what to make-and-eat for breakfast, lunch AND dinner every single day, and when I'm supposed to make these things (because I'll be at work!!). How do you do this????

For dinner learn 4-5 standbys that you like and that are easy to keep most of the ingredients around for, you can also vary a lot on a theme like if you have asparagus in the fridge and you often make broccoli pasta try throwing steamedasparagus in there instead that time
Food "formats" that are useful to learn and easy to vary and fairly quick to put together:
pasta with sauce and whatever the hell veggies you feel like
stir fry with whatever veggies
burrito night / burrito bowl night - rice beans spices veggies
thai curry with whatever veggies
Get the idea? Stock up on rice, beans, cans of crushed tomato, coconut milk, Asian sauce ingredients, and you're most of the way ready to make any of these any night depending on what you feel like. all you have to do is grab some veggies and maybe tofu'u every few days. I don't eat meat so if you do then I guess you also grab some meat too idk

Breakfast idk granola and oatmeal are pretty brainless easy breakfasts, eggs on toast also a classic if I'm feeling a little more effortful

"Making food for lunch" isn't even a thing in my world because you just deliberately make extra dinner and have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow

This may be the fine dining effort funhouse and i highly encourage occasionally putting effort into a fun new thing you've never cooked before, but most of the time cooking a good meal does not have to be hard or stressful!

joke_explainer

I solve this buy not cooking my own breakfast and getting a $2.50 bagel for breakfast. Then I work downtown in a city, so I generally eat a food cart for $7. Those are some big meals, so I generally finish half of it, then heat it up for dinner later in the day. That's $11.50 a day with $1 tips, which adds up to $230 dollars a month, which is quite cheap for one person's food expenses. Then on the weekends I generally make a big meal that will have a bunch of leftovers, save some in the fridge, and vacuum pack the rest (marking date and contents with a marker on the bag) so if I do not feel like cooking I can just heat something up from the freezer.

I cooked more when more people lived with me, but I live alone now, so it doesn't make good sense. But if you are dedicated to cooking for yourself, slow cooker meals are good for creating a lot of leftovers and keeping it all simple and low effort.

I know people who do 'meal prep sunday', where they set up an entire week's worth of meals on sunday and box everything up too, maybe that'd work for you? If you lack adequate food storage containers, these guys will do great for you: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007V2K94C/

joke_explainer

alnilam posted:

This may be the fine dining effort funhouse and i highly encourage occasionally putting effort into a fun new thing you've never cooked before, but most of the time cooking a good meal does not have to be hard or stressful!

Yeah, there's a huge difference between pulling out all the stops and going crazy on a dish to try to really push your limits and just like an every day chicken dinner or spaghetti or something. There's also things like a big pot of beans, pasta sauce, etc, where you can do some prep on those and then use them in meals all week long with almost no effort. (Cook some rice, mix in your beans you prepped earlier for a nutritionally complete dinner.)

Rushi

by Smythe

joke_explainer posted:

I know people who do 'meal prep sunday', where they set up an entire week's worth of meals on sunday and box everything up too, maybe that'd work for you? If you lack adequate food storage containers, these guys will do great for you: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007V2K94C/

This is a crazy awesome method if you want to heal actual meals thoughout each week and have it stay on budget and not eat garbage and noodles at "the end of the month." And between each time you cook, you have a whole week to decide what to make.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

i'mma provoke you by saying i sharpen my knives no more than once a month

not even every other use

and one of them... is from ikea

when you say sharpen do you mean use a honing steel? or do you mean actually sharpening your knives?

because sharpening once a month is way too often and using a honing steel once a month is way too seldom

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
honing

i am way too lazy to figure out where the honing rod went more than once a month. for reasons beyond my understanding, it's never where i last left it

:tinfoil:

i am triply too lazy to break out the stones and oil more than maybe twice a year

e: what precipitated onionpost was this: http://www.nolacuisine.com/2006/11/30/turkey-bone-gumbo-recipe/

this is my favorite post-turkey day recipe. it's super good served over cornbread dressing, but buttered rice is fine too

my onions were a little old and also, like someone else mentioned, they're drought onions (i used a sharp knife tho, promise, i don't mess around with mashed onions)

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 5, 2016

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i hone almost every time i use my knives

an edge strays away from straight very easily especially if you have a softer knife

i sharpen maybe maybe once a year

but my dirty secret? i have never been able to get a consistent edge using the manual stone grind method

i use this that i got at an estate sale for $15

yes i know it takes off more metal than is preferable but it does leave a great edge

maybe someday i'll be better

POOL IS CLOSED

those aren't bad, and if you're using it just once a year, the rate of metal-eating is probably not worth ever worrying about

i like doing the manual sharpening around new year's and my birthday though, it's kind of like a ritual at this point. also i have many knifes so some get sharpened at one point and the rest at another etc. somehow i ended up with way more knives than anyone needs, it's not like i even bought most of them. though i did buy a new cleaver recently because it was cheap and part of a project by a friend of a friend. it's pretty and i will probably still not use it half as much as i use the crappy ikea cleaver

i can hack up bones with that thing plus a mallet and not feel any remorse

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

no one should spend real money on a cleaver

I have a Chinatown cleaver that has served me well the few times I've needed one

POOL IS CLOSED

alas, my chinatown cleaver is too soft for bones. i hecked it up on some chicken wings and had to do some real work to fix the edge. ever since it has been a vegetable destroyer.

i've seen some pricey cleavers that look like real works of art that i'd love to own, but i'd never use them for their intended purpose so it just seems wrong. if i have a tool, it should be appreciated and used for its intended function, not just kept for aesthetic reasons

that's my feeling tho

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

the gws knife thread people seem to love this cleaver for everything except heavy bone hacking

POOL IS CLOSED

oh, that looks like one i was ogling recently, except with a curve instead of a hard angle. i was watching this guy make soba noodles and that knife looks perfect. but i will probably never make soba noodles from scratch no matter how nice it was to watch it done.

joke_explainer

did everybody make stock with their turkey carcass and such after thanksgiving? I hope so. I got 4 big mason jars of rich as hell high-gelatin stock out of the whole thing last week, just curious if anybody else is on the home-made stock thing.

POOL IS CLOSED

joke_explainer posted:

did everybody make stock with their turkey carcass and such after thanksgiving? I hope so. I got 4 big mason jars of rich as hell high-gelatin stock out of the whole thing last week, just curious if anybody else is on the home-made stock thing.

half of the carcass (back, thigh bones, neck, gizzard, heart) went to gravy stock, and the other half (ribs, breast bone, wings, etc) are turning into a nice dark bone stock for the turkey bone gumbo i linked before

it smells so good in this house right now :3:

do you actually process the cans of stock or do you freeze/refrigerate?

Manifisto

joke_explainer posted:

yes! three tupperware tubs are in the freezer, waiting to be turned into soup on the first convenient cold-rear end day.

ty nesamdoom!

joke_explainer

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

half of the carcass (back, thigh bones, neck, gizzard, heart) went to gravy stock, and the other half (ribs, breast bone, wings, etc) are turning into a nice dark bone stock for the turkey bone gumbo i linked before

it smells so good in this house right now :3:

do you actually process the cans of stock or do you freeze/refrigerate?

I just freeze it. Though it's so cold today I'm seriously considering making some soup...

POOL IS CLOSED

btw this is a seriously awesome recipe and i alternate between it and turkey bone gumbo: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/11/turkey-paitain-ramen-crispy-turkey-soft-cooked-egg-recipe.html the marinated soft boiled egg recipe is fantastic on its own too

Slugnoid

hmm. im sitting here at my table with a plate of bacon and eggs in front of me a big flake of sunburn skin just fell off my forehead and landed in the yolk.

im in the privacy of my own home. do I keep eating?

joke_explainer

eh, its pretty gross... bunch of dead skin. i would suggest at the least removing it. at worst just toss the egg yolk and cook up another egg? depends on your own level of being grossed out. definitely do not eat it, as it may make you become an insane cannibal. i hope you have not been sitting at the table waiting for a reply though

Urodov

hmm with the way it's phrased i thought it was more likely an ethical hypothetical

or possibly... an adventure game?? what happen next?

Ãèáåëü â ìîðñêîé âîëíå,                                                                                                спасибо, Слагнойд-кун!
èëè ñâîáîäó

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugnoid

sorry I actually ate it. w/e