Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Don't need SI for updated rosters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

I'd emptyquote this, but you just know how that developer meeting was the Monday after Miles played Skyrim. Money's on tradeable hats and suits (+ micro-payments!!!) in FM17.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Only ever buy odd-numbered FMs.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Speaking of rosters what databases do you all use? I tend to stick with the ones done by Pro since afaik they're the most extensive.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Don't need SI for updated rosters.

Do the ones you download update all the attributes, CA and PA values for players, or do they just do the transfers?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yup attributes CA and PA too, seems really comprehensive in an autistic way.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
http://t.co/SDgHUJZDhg

Design your own son mode.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

sassassin posted:

http://t.co/SDgHUJZDhg

Design your own son mode.

God drat. Genetic engineering, like Gattaca.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I just discovered the treasure trove (as an MLS manager) that is the Colombian league. Like, dozens of young regens that are 4+ stars, all of whom are currently being paid less than $200/week. I just signed three new attacking midfielders for the cost of AJ Delagarza. :cheatmode:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
FM16 is available for preorder.

Do not preorder. New tactics screen looks like poo poo. Whole UI looks designed for tiny touch screens.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I wish there was a cross between fm's autism spreadsheet simulator and fifas match engine. I like actually playing the soccer sometimes and fifas manager mode is super shallow

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
All they have to do is sort out the ridiculous defensive calamities and I'll be happy. The amount of goals that happen due to defenders jumping for and completely missing routine headers, or miscontrolling a simple dribble straight to the feet of a striker, or slide tackling the ball directly to an unmarked player on the far post, is not reasonable.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 15, 2015

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

FM16 is available for preorder.

Do not preorder. New tactics screen looks like poo poo. Whole UI looks designed for tiny touch screens.

Yeah wtf I really expected the 14 tactics screen to one of this year's new features.

Waroduce posted:

I wish there was a cross between fm's autism spreadsheet simulator and fifas match engine. I like actually playing the soccer sometimes and fifas manager mode is super shallow

Yeah great buy all the pacey shitlords and then run them around with your gamepad doing their "decision making". Just play FIFA, there's no point in making the management really deep and then undermining it by letting you play.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 15, 2015

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Adrianics posted:

All they have to do is sort out the ridiculous defensive calamities and I'll be happy. The amount of goals that happens due to defenders jumping for and completely missing routine headers, or miscontrolling a simple dribble straight to the feet of a striker, or slide tackling the ball directly to an unmarked player on the far post, is not reasonable.

For a moment, I thought you were talking about my FIFA skill.

At the top of the game (EPL/CL), I don't really see these mistakes in the match engine.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Adrianics posted:

All they have to do is sort out the ridiculous defensive calamities and I'll be happy. The amount of goals that happen due to defenders jumping for and completely missing routine headers, or miscontrolling a simple dribble straight to the feet of a striker, or slide tackling the ball directly to an unmarked player on the far post, is not reasonable.

I want to make a Brendan Rodgers joke here but with the poster of the same name around I think it would be confusing.

Stop playing Lovren, though.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah wtf I really expected the 14 tactics screen to one of this year's new features.

Yeah great buy all the pacey shitlords and then run them around with your gamepad doing their "decision making". Just play FIFA, there's no point in making the management really deep and then undermining it by letting you play.

If their decision making is terrible it should make them do different things to what you're telling them to do.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Making a lot of mistakes sounds like low mentals especially Composure, Concentration, and Decisions. Mental attributes are the most important thing for defenders. Whenever I've had that problem in 15 (after the beta stuff was fixed) it's been when I'm giving youth a chance, or The Lovren Factor, as it should be.

Also some defenders you can't let them be the last man to rely on to save you from the poo poo, you need to have them be a Stopper and push forward and deal with things proactively otherwise it's gonna be mistake city when they're backing off into their box making rolls on their mental stats. Or you have the smarter guy on Cover which is similar but for deeper play. (Don't use both you get a huge gap inbetween them)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
When ridiculous things happen in the match engine it's usually just the game struggling to visually represent a more normal piece of bad defending. Happens a lot in attacking, high line systems that leave defenders exposed.

You can stop your centrebacks from kicking it out for a corner when under no pressure, it's just not easy to figure out how sometimes, as the why isn't obvious. It does get better every year.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I find the games pretty good for that thing at the moment though there have been some dark times in FM version history. The way "strength" is represented in this game with everyone falling on the floor does my head in sometimes.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
15 was one of the better games so I guess that means 16 has to be a step back... right?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I'm gonna buy it either way because I'm a massive retard and at some point an advert is going to come up on Steam about how the beta has started. But I'm gonna have a very angry expression on my face while I put in my credit card number.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
I hope they've worked on player interaction AI.

I'm in one save where I played my third game of the year and players are already complaining about their playing time. Dude relax we've got 50+ games to play this year.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths

Faltese Malkin posted:

I hope they've worked on player interaction AI.
That's wishful thinking friend.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Waroduce posted:

PES is meant to have a really good manager mode this year, I think I might check it out but tbh everyone else is right, the fun of FM is the joy of having your little players do what you said beforehand tactically, being able to bail them out by playing as them would remove some of the fun

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Faltese Malkin posted:

I'm in one save where I played my third game of the year and players are already complaining about their playing time. Dude relax we've got 50+ games to play this year.

I don't know. I think that's "realistic" enough. A player expecting to be in the starting 11, would get worried after 3 matches.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I just want them to add some more zingers. "Perhaps you need a trip to the opticians?" "My tackling stats were exemplary, are you mad?"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Adrianics posted:

"My tackling stats were exemplary, are you mad?"
"Have you seen my stats in FIFA?"

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Does anyone ever give their players the painkillers so they can play with an injury?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

jyrka posted:

Does anyone ever give their players the painkillers so they can play with an injury?
Fun fact: when you're managing a Spanish club, they put "painkillers" in speech marks and add a winky smilie after

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jyrka posted:

Tried to once when it was the last game of a season and Fabianski said no so I had to play an u18s keeper instead.

Still won iirc.

sassassin posted:

Last game of the season, playing for a champions league spot, and Fabianski refuses to take a painkilling injection.

18 year old starts in goal, then.

sassassin posted:

Came back from 1-0 down at half time to win 2-1. Finished 3rd. Nathan Dyer is English Footballer of the year. He and Gylfi make team of the year (Bony on bench).

Game is easy.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 16, 2015

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I find whoever is my AP is guaranteed to be footballer of the year, even kids like Ward-Prowse and Will Hughes.

A little bit of the rating system and a little how I design my tactic to wank my AP off constantly.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 16, 2015

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
What I would like to see is a few fixes to the leagues outside the top five in Europe.

When playing with my Norwegian team my players will turn angry when I reject bids from similar or smaller reputation clubs. E.g. not accepting a bid from Young Boys or something like that. All of my players wants to leave after one season. This has been an on and off issue from the beginning. They had it fixed in FM14, but hosed it up in FM15...

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

azathosk posted:

What I would like to see is a few fixes to the leagues outside the top five in Europe.

When playing with my Norwegian team my players will turn angry when I reject bids from similar or smaller reputation clubs. E.g. not accepting a bid from Young Boys or something like that. All of my players wants to leave after one season. This has been an on and off issue from the beginning. They had it fixed in FM14, but hosed it up in FM15...

This is something to do with the reputation setting for players, clubs, and managers, and it causes more than this problem, you're right it's an on and off thing. They need to spend a few years between releases with transfer updates inbetween, instead of scrambling to give us new features like loving up the tactics screen forever.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

My lovely Ligue 2 team played against Lille in some French cup tournament. I equalized 1-1 in the 88th minute and then survived until the PKs. (5-2-3, contain, retain possession, shoot on sight. Did I do that right?)

It seemed the PKs would never loving end. My 10th shooter missed by a mile and then miraculously my keeper made a diving save and resurrected me.

At least this game accurately captures that player's shame at being the fucker to finally lose the shootout. If it wasn't for Fallout 4 I'm not sure I'd be able to resist the urge to buy FM 16.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Brendan Rodgers posted:

This is something to do with the reputation setting for players, clubs, and managers, and it causes more than this problem, you're right it's an on and off thing. They need to spend a few years between releases with transfer updates inbetween, instead of scrambling to give us new features like loving up the tactics screen forever.

I wonder how long games like FM and FIFA will persist with yearly incremental updates now. A lot of titles, like Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis or Euro Truck Sim 2 have very long lifespans, supported by mix of paid and free addons, and when a new version comes along, you know it's going to be meaningfully different. Things like your touchline avatar is free update poo poo these days, not a key feature on a game asking you drop £25 and abandon your old saves. The game has over 20 years of development behind it, there's only so much you can add in a year.

But they do sell like gently caress sooo...

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

At least they should have the ability to take your saves to the new versions.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It's purely a data issue, though. The guys who do the ui work and that junk have no involvement in the transfers, ratings etc.

It's the transfer updates (and giving teams, nations, leagues etc. new reputation values) that causes the problem.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jyrka posted:

At least they should have the ability to take your saves to the new versions.

Never going to happen unless they do decide to stop working on the base game and just make every annual release a data update.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

The changes from year- to-year don't seem that extreme that with some effort they couldn't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jyrka posted:

The changes from year- to-year don't seem that extreme that with some effort they couldn't do it.

Well from last year to this all the coaching staff would be missing visual data for appearing on the sidelines, all your set-pieces would need to be done from scratch, new rivalries data would likely cause problems etc.

CA/PA weighting changes year on year so all your player attributes would change, too.

• Locked thread