Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Yanmar 4lh ste. Yeah, i run it full throttle quite a bit. The exaust upstream of the turbo just has a nice thin satin coat. I think the problem is the rust build up and the elbow. The mixing point is only about 8-10cm from the turbine wheel by design. $1000 every few years feels rather stiff for a poorly designed elbow but that's the boat life I guess :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

It's just boat money, not real money.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Thanks Neslepaks. Krogsrud replaced the turbo for my dad the last time about 6 years ago, so I'm not sure I'm keen to use them again. Charged new turbo price for a rebuild too. I think it was about 40K nok. I didn't do any mechanical work back then. They have done some other work I founds somewhat shoddy too. I might give Vestfold a call.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I highly doubt the turbo is damaged, so long as you use it regularly, the rust is pretty soft. I'd just clean it out with a wire brush, and maybe think about spraying some oil into there when you winterize. Do the turbine blades have any wear where they're touching the housing?

Barring that, maybe have the housing and elbow ceramic-coated on the inside? I've never heard of it, but maybe it'll help.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 24, 2019

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Hard to say how worn they are since they are completely flush with the housing. Can't see without taking the turbo apart. There are no bent or chipped blades though. The boat did work fine, so you might well be right that its all right.

I'm not sure if there is anyone doing ceramic coating in a reasonable distance from me. I have seen some people welding in a stainless sleeve in the exhaust outlet. Might be worth looking into.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
For some engines there's aftermarket exhaust elbows made of stainless steel - I know I've seen them for Volvo Pentas at least. Not sure if it's different for turbo engines though.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Generally the hot side of the turbo is just held on with a V band and can be knocked off and cleaned out. I’d find out how much it would be to get that housing beaded and ceramic coated before replacing the whole turbo if it hasn’t damaged the turbine wheel and it doesn’t have excessive shaft play

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Ferremit posted:

Generally the hot side of the turbo is just held on with a V band and can be knocked off and cleaned out. I’d find out how much it would be to get that housing beaded and ceramic coated before replacing the whole turbo if it hasn’t damaged the turbine wheel and it doesn’t have excessive shaft play

Seriously. If the turbine is good and the seals/bearings are good, there's no reason to replace a turbo.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvI9F5Zrbxs

Probably the most nautical insanity I have seen in a while. Reminds me of chasing the little cruise ships around to jump their wake in my dad's old ex-coast guard hurricane, but even less safe.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

slurry_curry posted:

Probably the most nautical insanity I have seen in a while. Reminds me of chasing the little cruise ships around to jump their wake in my dad's old ex-coast guard hurricane, but even less safe.

That looks like so much fun!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’m not sure if it’s a factory recommendation, but we generally recommend customers replace their mixing elbows every five years on Yanmars. They just like to eat them up, they are impossible to inspect, and the alternative of it fails is worse (like your rusty, maybe soon to be dead turbo).

That said, just clean the rust up and run the fucker hard. People nursing their diesels like grandma driving to church are responsible for more 2000-hour rebuilds than the guys who run them at WOT all day.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

slurry_curry posted:

That looks amazingly fun

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Damnit they're not starting on it till January. Might as well own up then. This is what I've ordered:

https://marex.no/boats/320-aft-cabin-cruiser/

Here's an old review from MBY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jrlbfSslfA

My new luxurious life begins late April. :c00l:

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Congrats dude. Thats a nice looking craft.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Wow! That is beautiful. Congrats. You have to be chomping at the bit to get her.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Neslepaks posted:

Damnit they're not starting on it till January. Might as well own up then. This is what I've ordered:

Oh, wow. That's a really well done boat. That's a lot of luxury in 32'.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
That looks more spacious in 32' than what I have in 41'... then again, narrow beam and low freeboard on my end. I chose this life. :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

What engine option did you go for? Those Yanmar diesels are actually just marine versions of toyotas diesels- the 8LV series is based off the 4.5L 1VD-FTV in the 70 and 200 series landcruisers and their 6LP engines were based off the 4.2L 1HD-FTV engine

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Yep 8LV-370. Should be good for 28 flat out and >20 cruise. Not yet heard anything negative about these engines and they've been out for about a decade now I think? It's also quieter than the VPs.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

TheFluff posted:

That looks more spacious in 32' than what I have in 41'... then again, narrow beam and low freeboard on my end. I chose this life. :v:

It's not exactly sleek and elegant like yours, no. It's all about family vacation comfort. Everything else comes second really.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
So me and dad did a small 700 mile roundtrip to buy another old old Solo inboard engine for his collection. Of course it lacked some parts and wouldn't start despite the ad and the seller on the phone describing it as "ready to drop in the boat". Still bought it. My dad was grumpy all the way home about it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
is it a sleeve valve single?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Regular two-stroke, made for starting on gasoline and then switching to kerosene but runs ok on just gasoline (since kerosene isn't as easy to come by anymore).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
:downs: dur yeah, i was doing all kinds of mental gymnastics to make it a four stroke which was very stupid!

kind of cool. it's pretty easy to get kerosene where I live in the US, but i think it burns quite smoky.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Neslepaks posted:

https://marex.no/boats/320-aft-cabin-cruiser/

Here's an old review from MBY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jrlbfSslfA

Lovely.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Visited the dealer today to hammer out the last details. Of course, sunk cost fallacy sets in and you order all the electronics stuff, because why not. :sweatdrop:

e: Contender for worst financial decision in AI history?

Neslepaks fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 7, 2019

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The guy blowing the insurance settlement from losing his arm in a motorcycle crash on a stickshift lambo is probably the forever winner there but you're definitely in the top ten :v:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Regular two-stroke, made for starting on gasoline and then switching to kerosene but runs ok on just gasoline (since kerosene isn't as easy to come by anymore).

Jet fuel is basically kerosene, but why you’d want to use that instead of gasoline...

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Also lamp oil is kerosene. Could it burn diesel, that’s not too different from kerosene?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I really like that series of Scandi dudes refloating their fishing boat and I look forward to more fun videos from them. I've also been enjoying Acorn to Arabella this year.

I'd also like to bring your attention to the following, non- Nautical related news

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:AI Secret Santa 2019:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Please come and join us for a rollercoaster ride of emotion that make Alaskan Crab Fishing look easy.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3903165&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#pti18

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I was considering getting a RIB as a starter boat for some river/estuary boating.
Did some research, been reading this thread for the past year.
Went to look at the cost of a second hand RIB. 5-7m length. :yikes: €14000
Cheaper badly maintained ones with no engine that requires considerable work €5000-7000

Not sure what else I expected

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

The Real Amethyst posted:

I was considering getting a RIB as a starter boat for some river/estuary boating.
Cheaper badly maintained ones with no engine that requires considerable work €5000-7000

RIBs hold their value very well, much better than straight FRP hulls. Here in New England, zodiacs are spendy, especially rigids.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Mom and dad in our first boat, a Selco 18, late '70s. I went on vacation in that thing only weeks old.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

The Real Amethyst posted:

14000€ is more than what I paid for my 12.5m/41' sailboat :v:
I mean, sure, it's 40 years old and the original owner paid something like the equivalent of 80000€ in 2019 money for it new in 1979, but still. It's a huge boat in quite good shape and everything works. I know sailing isn't for everyone, but at least in Scandinavia you can get an amazing amount of sailboat for very little money. I've seen very well maintained IF-boats and other small but seaworthy sailboats go for like 2000€, sometimes with like 3-4000€ invested in them (new engine or new sails) like 5 years ago. Big marine engines are crazy expensive.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
One thing I've wondered with inflatable boats like that, is how long does the rubber/whatever polymer last? I know a lot of them have covers over the inflatable part for abrasion and UV protection, but does the rubber eventually degrade?
If you have a RIB from the 80's, how likely is it to need new rubber even if it's been cared for well? Or average?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Guy leaves his boat in too long. Now it's frozen in the St. Croix river for the winter.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/11/15/sailboat-frozen-in-st-croix-river-may-stay-out-all-winter-owner-unable-to-free-it-friday/

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Houseboat goon needs this story.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

From the Raspberry Pi thread. It's nautical and there is certain degrees of insanity involved so I though of this thread.

Hadlock posted:

Mildly interesting. This guy lives on his boat and programs his raspberry pi to display charts and weather data, and also drive his boat in a straight line even in ocean waves. Reads like a character from a Neil Stephenson novel:

https://towndock.net/shippingnews/sean-d-epagnier-and-alexandra?viewport=980,1686,0

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You can also use a raspberry Pi to feed AIS data to MarineTraffic.com

...I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
....That's definitely some nautical insanity.