Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

logikv9 posted:

:siren: Hello DSA thread. :siren: Your lovely OP has organized a gangtag for those of you who have donated a minimum of $5 to the DSA, if you choose to have it.

If you would like it, please quote this post along side proof of a donation of sufficient quantity. Proof can be simply quoting an older post you made previously that itself contained donation proof, or if you are a new donor that wants it, quote this post alongside proof of that donation.

I can nearly guarantee that your title will be safe and sound underneath your avatars within five (5) business days, or whenever I check this thread, really. :hai:

So far I've only been to the December meeting of the DC chapter, but I'll try to be more active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Let me try that again then. We need a $15/min. wage because the American worker is getting crushed. Why is it my mother gets a 1% pay raise annually and a lot of her coworkers get 0%? And Jamie Dimon gets another $10 million? My great-grandfather was a member of the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America for 40 years. Paid his union dues and retired with his pension and Social Security for 30 years. My great-grandmother didn't have to work. You can't do that now. It's not enough to bring jobs back or keep jobs if they offer poo poo pay and no benefits. More and more wealth is getting concentrated into fewer and fewer hands. We need to fight for workers, fight for unions, and the first step is $15/min. wage. Get that money into the hands of those who need it to live and not billionaires and millionaires counting their stock options.

New Hampshire has no minimum wage laws btw. We default to the Federal minimum of $7.25.

:ussr:

Also sorry about your lovely state (I'm from FL, I understand lovely states, though even we have a minimum wage law).

SomeMathGuy posted:

Do you have a source on that? My loose impression of Republicans is they tend to oppose minimum wage increases because something something job creators something something but I might be woefully misguided.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/minimum-wage-poll_us_570ead92e4b08a2d32b8e671

The majority isn't on board yet with $15, but rank and file Republicans are not against minimum wage laws in concept.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

unbutthurtable posted:

which of you is responsible for this

It was in Sacramento, apparently

DSA Sac is, I believe, goon-free right now.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

DSA Sac is, I believe, goon-free right now.

After, what looks like, multiple goons bailed on that meeting after getting the agenda,

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Sac's one of the older DSAs in the state so I dunno how they got it so wrong

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Ronald McReagan posted:

FL here, add to OP, etc.

Iridium posted:

just joined in GA

getting out and participating much may be a challenge for my epic laziness crippling social anxiety, but sitting on my rear end won't help with solving a drat thing.

teacher_man posted:

Houston, TX

added

qtp if i missed you

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

the road to hell is paved with good intentions

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Ace of Baes posted:

added

qtp if i missed you
I've been ignored, much like the ruling elite have ignored the struggle of the working class (DC area)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the proposed schedule reads eerily like a school curriculum

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is anyone else going crazy waiting for their Slack RocketChat invite? It's incredible to me that not only do you have to apply for it, as opposed to just being sent out to all members, but that you have to wait weeks to get an invite. So dumb. :(

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Is anyone else going crazy waiting for their Slack RocketChat invite? It's incredible to me that not only do you have to apply for it, as opposed to just being sent out to all members, but that you have to wait weeks to get an invite. So dumb. :(

gotta make sure you arent a cop

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I got one in literally 5 minutes, it's supposed to be an automated process. Make sure you're using the email address you're registered with and try again

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I would like to give a hell yeah bitch to whoever decided to have Marxist reading group at the place with drive through frozen whiskey cokes and a plate of nachos that weighs 15 pounds.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fullhouse posted:

I got one in literally 5 minutes, it's supposed to be an automated process. Make sure you're using the email address you're registered with and try again

Well, apparently 3rd times a charm. Not sure how it didn't work before. I tried before they sent out their whole "moving to RocketChat" memo out, so maybe it wasn't quite ready yet. Now to find out how well it handles "family" memberships, because I am pretty sure my wife's email address wasn't asked for in the registration process.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I've been reading this thread since the OP and I still don't know what the deal is with rocketchat? Is there some kind of regular DSA thing going on through it, and if so where do I apply to get a url to paste? Sorry to ask, but for the longest time I thought people were talking about it and slack as tools to help local groups get started.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Bushiz posted:

I would like to give a hell yeah bitch to whoever decided to have Marxist reading group at the place with drive through frozen whiskey cokes and a plate of nachos that weighs 15 pounds.
/

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Jack Gladney posted:

I've been reading this thread since the OP and I still don't know what the deal is with rocketchat? Is there some kind of regular DSA thing going on through it, and if so where do I apply to get a url to paste? Sorry to ask, but for the longest time I thought people were talking about it and slack as tools to help local groups get started.

Yeah, it's a national platform set up by the Tech Committee.

edit: PM me and I'll get you the sign up link

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

It's just kind of a discussion platform -- I don't see a whole lot of organizing going on but it's a way to connect with DSA members all over the country. Notably some of the larger chapters have channels for their working groups on it, but I think a lot of the direct action stuff happens elsewhere.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

It's where we have the pineapple arguments.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Bushiz posted:

houston reading group is at 7pm today btw, don't know if this is the group you're talking about but hopeful;ly because whiskey sounds like a very good idea to me

anyone pm me if you need the location

teacher_man
Feb 11, 2017

Bushiz posted:

holy poo poo you can order the drinks in the drive-thru? don't gently caress with me, man. i can't make it tonight but I pass there on the way home from work and I need this information

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

skipping DSA houston marxism/alcoholism hour is extremely bad praxis fyi

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

thing

ChickenOfTomorrow has issued a correction as of 22:07 on Sep 28, 2021

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

lol i keep hearing about things in this thread that I have otherwise heard little to nothing about from the orig itself

I know about the whole rocket.chat/slack thing (slack too expensive) from overhearing other members at events, and the whole card thing from this thread

their tech team communication must be drowning hard right now; even the swag stuff is screwed up

teacher_man
Feb 11, 2017

jarofpiss posted:

houston reading group is at 7pm today btw, don't know if this is the group you're talking about but hopeful;ly because whiskey sounds like a very good idea to me

anyone pm me if you need the location

"girls shut up and sit over there with your coloring books while dad gets drunk and tries to figure out what 'praxis' means!"

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

teacher_man posted:

holy poo poo you can order the drinks in the drive-thru? don't gently caress with me, man. i can't make it tonight but I pass there on the way home from work and I need this information

The man kinda goes back and forth on what's legal but they'll do the tape over the straw hole thing to call it a sealed container sometimes. They used to at least.

teacher_man
Feb 11, 2017

i go to my first meeting and this is what's waiting outside. what the gently caress, guys??

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

teacher_man posted:

i go to my first meeting and this is what's waiting outside. what the gently caress, guys??

The union hall hosting?

PBA Local 1488.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

unbutthurtable posted:

PBA Local 1488.

I see what you did there

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

teacher_man posted:

sorry i forgot to put acab on the agenda, it';s usually item 1

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

see, this is where STL DSA did it right:

meeting opens with a "thought for the day"
basic intro, what we're about, the Org Com talks about themselves, what they want, where they're coming from
open floor: what should we be focusing on?
breakout session: mid-sized groups based around a few common topics
breakout groups report back with findings, we all agree on certain things
close, announce next meeting time/date/location (though we're still working on the next location, as we're trying to broaden the horizons), we invite people to meet up and where to go for drinks afterwards
...and the only real issue we had was getting the projector/computer to work right to put up slides/documents (problem was: we had a bad cable)

that, and our Twitter posted a picture of the Little Red Book with Matt Carpenter replacing Chairman Mao (because we're not Maoists, we're Marpists, and if anyone tries that LOLOLOL DEADSPIN BFIBS poo poo on us you'll regret it). plus I'm working on getting a classic Lenin picture posted with Vladimir Tarasenko's face replacing V.I. Ulianov's, because we don't have an NBA team and thus are down the pecking order.

Troy Queef has issued a correction as of 07:06 on Feb 28, 2017

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
its peasants, soldiers and workers unite

the :mrapig: :cop: are always left out because they are the lowest of the low and no one wants them

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Top City Homo posted:

its peasants, soldiers and workers unite

the :mrapig: :cop: are always left out because they are the lowest of the low and no one wants them

As much as I don't like those people for having a tendency for beating up non whites and poor people. Its a good idea to have influence within the societal watchmen.

teacher_man
Feb 11, 2017

jarofpiss posted:

sorry i forgot to put acab on the agenda, it';s usually item 1

i would've missed it anyway dropping the girls off. had to leave early to put them to bed which just demonstrates the uselessness of breeders and normies

had a good time thanks for whatever it is you did, whoever it is you are!

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

lancemantis posted:

I see what you did there

but did you like it

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Crowsbeak posted:

As much as I don't like those people for having a tendency for beating up non whites and poor people. Its a good idea to have influence within the societal watchmen.

I mean they all overwhelmingly voted trump for some reason I can't exactly put my finger on

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

I mean they all overwhelmingly voted trump for some reason I can't exactly put my finger on

I mean if someone offers your decent healthcare and wages or bigger guns and the right to shoot minorities at will, always choose the latter.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Oh wait, your talking about cops. gently caress them. They're just an extralegal white supremacy organization at this point.

MizPiz has issued a correction as of 15:35 on Feb 28, 2017

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

acab forever dsa thread please dont lib this up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacher_man
Feb 11, 2017
i cried for young michael brown
tears ran down my spine
i howled when they raped louima
as if that man's b-hole was mine