Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

Like I said, doable, but I'm pretty sure the reward from Silk is bugged anyway so why bother?

What's the unbugged reward? And how does this change the rest of the scenario?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Beating the dragons is also possible with that Dust that helped our party so much with the PoR final boss. We found some of it back in the first dungeon, if anybody noticed. But you will want to save that Dust. There are many harder fights than the Dragons in this game and some are mandatory. You will want the Dust for the hardest of all, if not the last.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

It's been a LONG time but I'm pretty sure you can complete Silk's little quest without killing the dragons, I think you missed a leathery pod (dragon egg)? in the tower. Same level as the trap paper and Drac's bedroom. I don't remember what you get besides XP so it probably wasn't anything important.

Victis fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 23, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Victis posted:

It's been a LONG time but I'm pretty sure you can complete Silk's little quest without killing the dragons, I think you missed an egg or something in the tower. Same level as the trap paper and Drac's bedroom.

Nope. I picked up the egg off camera and carted it back to silk's room, and there's nobody in there. I think you need both it and to beat the massive dragon fight to get a reward but I'm sure as poo poo not trying to find out.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

Technically speaking it's not sequence breaking! There's there bonds quests that are required and you can do them in any order. In theory.

The game certainly permits it, but Mr. Clue Guy at the Standing Stones tells you to go this way first.

If you don't cast preps going into the dragon fight, multiple fireballs are indeed the solution. If you do, a hasted fighter can use the attack of opportunity bug to keep the dragons from breathing until you can kill them all. They have pretty low hp so it doesn't take very many attack spells to finish them off.

According to GameBanshee, the reward is 5000 pp, 15 gems, and 10 pieces of jewelry, but the big deal is that it's a huge chunk of experience. They report receiving it with only the egg, not having beating the dragon fight.

You don't meet Silk in her room: she's supposed to appear at the bottom of the stairs from the tower into the caves, on the cave map.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Narsham posted:

You don't meet Silk in her room: she's supposed to appear at the bottom of the stairs from the tower into the caves, on the cave map.

Maybe I went to the wilderness to camp first and that cancelled it. I dunno, but she definitely didn't show up after I nabbed the egg.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I loved this update, but now I am desperately wondering what happened to our clueless horned sorcerer in Paper Sorcerer. And the rest of his bunch, all of who had more clue than he.

Really loved the writing and characters in that one. Loved the snark the crew dished out and all their personalities.

Snowball's chance in Hel that you will finish that writeup, Chokes?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Kacie posted:

Narrator The snowball is favored.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kacie posted:

I loved this update, but now I am desperately wondering what happened to our clueless horned sorcerer in Paper Sorcerer. And the rest of his bunch, all of who had more clue than he.

Really loved the writing and characters in that one. Loved the snark the crew dished out and all their personalities.

Well clearly he got shanghai'd into helping an evil force of the Forgotten Realms, duh :rolleyes:

Probably not as all my efforts are going into this one and if I get distracted we're probably not finishing. This is going to be a multi-year epic and I was inspired by whoever it was who did World of Xeen to go coast to coast on it.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
That was Thuryl, who is one of the LPers who inspired me to join the forums in the first place lo these many years ago.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Who did that early video LP of Ultima Underworld 2? I remeber it being realy good, and full of dead links in the archive. RIP Vimeo and Viddler LPs. Somehow a few that were on Daily Motion still exist lmao.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 23, 2020

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

achtungnight posted:

Towers of High Sorcery are on another D&D game world The closest thing to a Tower of High Sorcery in the Realms is the Hosttower of the Arcane, an enclave of evil wizards in the port city of Luskan far west of the Dalelands. There's another big group of evil mages in a country far to the east called Thay- they're called Red Wizards. Hmm, the resident wizard wears red robes. Is he from Thay? Possibly.

If you count Shar as a goddess of evil magic, what with the shadow weave, we actually probably do have a similar enough system to Krynn to set up some Towers of High Sorcery and start forcing wizards to wear color-coded robes for everybody's convenience. I guess the Red wizards have already done a good job associating red robes with evil, I guess we could make neutral mages wear blue?

In the module (and maybe in the game, I seem to recall one of the novel characters bringing it up later), Dracandros is specifically called out as a Red Wizard, more specifically an ex-Red Wizard since he was exiled from Thay, and is trying to leverage his control over the party into a way of getting back home, via causing mass dragon-based slaughter in the Dalelands, which his countrymen will appreciate. Interestingly, the party in the module doesn't always get all their gear back, Dracandros always steals any level 7+ arcane spell scrolls and either he or Tyranthraxus take any artifacts the party might have obtained. Dracandros is also very, very full of himself. A few brief quotes about some parts of his tower:

quote:

Hall of Triumphs. Herein is a detailed description of every important act Dracandros was ever involved in, including trophies, mounted creatures, plaques, ribbons, and certificates of recognition.
Meeting Room. This is dominated by a huge portrait of Dracandros done in black velvet.

It's no wonder Crimdrac is trying to learn from him really, they're both totally up their own asses.

More important than that though, did this whole adventure seem kind of pointless? Well, no, saved the village, broke a bond, sort of a big deal. But there are three treasures that are important in the end game, one of which Chokes just obtained, without the game mentioning it at all, nor does it appear in your inventory, it just kind of shows up out of nowhere and the game expects you to know what the gently caress it's talking about. The module is more clear about the treasures, and you very specifically either get it automatically when you escape the tower if you brought Akbar with you (he avoided the trap that took the party to the roof and ransacked the tower while the dragon encounter was going on) or when you kill Dracandros. Dracandros' plan actually can work in the module, the bonds force you to attack the dragons, subject to a save. If anybody successfully saves and attacks Dracandros instead, then they figure out the plot and bail. If you attack the dragons before Dracandros invokes the bonds, then you inadvertently just pissed off dragonkind and are responsible for countless deaths in the coming years as dragon attacks against human settlements become more frequent. Oops.

If you don't kill Dracandros here in the module, the DM has the option to either have him try to ambush you later or have him show up during the endgame.

Lastly, an amusing note, one of the fake journal entries tells you that the dragons here are being led by the five headed god of evil dragons, Tiamat. That would have been a remarkably shorter game.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Truth keeper- Ah yes, the Helm of Dragons. I had forgotten we’re supposed to get that artifact here. And no, we never learn what it does exactly other than play a role in the endgame later on. You’d think the game writers would not have missed that.

And Tiamat is no big deal. If a bunch of kids and their pet unicorn can regularly deal with her as they did back in the 80s when I first learned of D&D, Chokes’ party would have no problem.

Wait, I just remembered. Those kids always dealt with Tiamat by running away.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 24, 2020

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

achtungnight posted:

Wait, I just remembered. Those kids always dealt with Tiamat by running away.

Never underestimate the utility of a good pair of running shoes and regular cardio. For better or worse, you only need to run faster than stern.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Anias posted:

Never underestimate the utility of a good pair of running shoes and regular cardio. For better or worse, you only need to run faster than stern.

That's all well and good until he trips you.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Can't run away from FIREBALL :colbert:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

That's all well and good until he trips you.

Velcro laces my man, thief proof.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I mean, undoing your velcro whilst you aren't looking is faster and about as effective.

I always just assumed Sternn was the faster runner in the crew though. (Not having consumed the original works.)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tylana posted:

I mean, undoing your velcro whilst you aren't looking is faster and about as effective.

I always just assumed Sternn was the faster runner in the crew though. (Not having consumed the original works.)

Well, he outran Hanover, but he had the advantage of smaller passageways and also Hanover selling for him.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Every time you get those various Parlay options, it never really feels like there's any kind of hint as to what would actually work. It feels like you're left to either stick to a consistent roleplaying schema or just pick randomly.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
That's what save scumming Divination magic is for

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

achtungnight posted:

Truth keeper- Ah yes, the Helm of Dragons. I had forgotten we’re supposed to get that artifact here. And no, we never learn what it does exactly other than play a role in the endgame later on. You’d think the game writers would not have missed that.

The game writers barely remembered at the last second that the three treasures existed and were critical to the endgame of the module. Since they'd never mentioned them in the game up to that point, they probably could have gotten away with leaving them out entirely, but they tried. At that point, trying to shoehorn in exposition about what they are and what they do would have been too much to hope for.

Oddly enough, despite the name, the Helm of Dragons the party unknowingly got here is specifically an anti-Tyranthraxus weapon, being able to locate the Pool of Radiance (and thus wherever Lord T has set up shop) anywhere within 500 miles of the wearer and giving the wearer bonuses against all spells, effects, abilities of Tyranthraxus. For unclear reasons, it also allows the wearer to speak Draconic and makes him invulnerable to all attacks by living dragons (these abilities are probably how it got the name). Also, it's a crown, not a helmet. Dracandros, obviously, was more interested in its dragon-based properties than its anti-Tyranthraxus powers.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ah, I see now why the dragons listened to Llewelyn instead of just eating him. And that Helm seems a bit over powered to me- even if we don’t have to fight dragons again in this game outside a random encounter. Wonder what the other two artifacts are supposed to do besides help kill Big T (talk about em when we get em pls).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

achtungnight posted:

Ah, I see now why the dragons listened to Llewelyn instead of just eating him. And that Helm seems a bit over powered to me- even if we don’t have to fight dragons again in this game outside a random encounter. Wonder what the other two artifacts are supposed to do besides help kill Big T (talk about em when we get em pls).

Actually don't do this! Because it's actually part of the game story! The crown's understandable because it literally never gets mentioned but the other two will turn up eventually.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Yeah, the other two at least get mentioned (briefly) and are important to the plot, the helm just kinda shows up. I'll sit on those details until you finish posting this game Chojes.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Oh I forgot they both get mentioned. I only recalled the one that is most prominent getting mentioned. Yeah, let’s wait till we finish the game.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

achtungnight posted:

I've never gotten the reasons behind Owlbears either.

http://maze.icomix.com/comicpage/b.php?i=791

TitanG
May 10, 2015

I read your book Chokes, it was pretty nice. You should write more.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TitanG posted:

I read your book Chokes, it was pretty nice. You should write more.

I am working on it but I am also very lazy

Hence the lack of update so far

E: please leave a review if you're so inclined tia

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Reviewed and will recommend. Get them shekels Chokes.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TitanG posted:

Reviewed and will recommend. Get them shekels Chokes.

Hooray I can now afford half a cup of coffee

Seriously though thank you, I care more about reader count than money

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I bought your book but haven't read it yet. How do I get you to sign it so that it's worth a fortune when this LP gives you an embolism?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Randalor posted:

I bought your book but haven't read it yet. How do I get you to sign it so that it's worth a fortune when this LP gives you an embolism?

ngl this post was a wild fuckin ride for me

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Wait, Chokes wrote a book? I require a link.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PurpleXVI posted:

Wait, Chokes wrote a book? I require a link.

https://www.amazon.com/Tainted-Astin-Novel-H-C-Cavall-ebook/dp/B01KEDGXMQ

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Is H.C. Cavall a pen name?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

JustJeff88 posted:

Is H.C. Cavall a pen name?

No that's my real name, Herbert Charles Cavall

yes, it is ;)

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Chokes McGee posted:

No that's my real name, Herbert Charles Cavall

yes, it is ;)

I'm obscurely disappointed that you're not one of the 6 herbs that the KFC twitter account follows.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

ddegenha posted:

I'm obscurely disappointed that you're not one of the 6 herbs that the KFC twitter account follows.

Perfect in every way

I just reread all of the LPs of the Final Fantasy Legend series on the archives, in fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hey all! An update is currently rumbling around in my head. We should see a new chapter around Thursday or so. Thanks for your patience.