Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Xiahou Dun posted:

Couldn't you make a bunch of spells that conditionally required some mental action? (I am so rusty on this poo poo and it's hard since I prefer nWoD's response of going "No, that's bad game design so it's also the rules of magic. Basta.")

I wish I hadn't thrown out all my oWoD books in my last move, but yeah that right there I think was the loophole. You couldn't use speed or turn enhancers to reduce cast time but you could do conditional casting stuff like that. I think the only check against it (and one encouraged in the book) was rear end in a top hat GM fiat. Like 'Oh the paradox backlash from doing that is it summons the time paradox spirit who corrects things by making sure you were never born,' and all backlash fires off on the trigger instead of allowing a slow bleed like if you'd had those 50 spells you cast over the past few months fire off when you cast them'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm talking to a friend about a game he's gearing up to run, probably in the next year or so, and got this doozy:

If I didn't already have three amazing full campaigns from this guy I'd be afraid, but his games have always had more heart than mechanical sense.

oh and in the time it's come out that we're going to be using Scion character sheets, and "all of them" means all White Wolf systems. Yes, including Exalted, and probably 2e Exalted at that. This game's going to be a wonderful clusterfuck.

Play as a Street Fighter character and demand that everyone respect your hex maps.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

theironjef posted:

Play as a Street Fighter character and demand that everyone respect your hex maps.

World of Darkness: Combat rules apply.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

If you show up to the table with a full on Blanka I don't think anyone's gonna be anything less than impressed.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Coolness Averted posted:

I wish I hadn't thrown out all my oWoD books in my last move, but yeah that right there I think was the loophole. You couldn't use speed or turn enhancers to reduce cast time but you could do conditional casting stuff like that. I think the only check against it (and one encouraged in the book) was rear end in a top hat GM fiat. Like 'Oh the paradox backlash from doing that is it summons the time paradox spirit who corrects things by making sure you were never born,' and all backlash fires off on the trigger instead of allowing a slow bleed like if you'd had those 50 spells you cast over the past few months fire off when you cast them'

I haven't played with an rear end in a top hat GM for decades, but my immediate response is to just cast more spells with the conditional trigger of [when Paradox happens] that burn everything around me/turn everything into penises made out of bees/rewrite time so I was always Abraham Lincoln/whatever bullshit oMage would let me do, plus another that'd make a bunch of fireworks spell out "K33P 1T W4VY 420 BL4Z3 1T LOL" as large as possible. Cause gently caress that guy.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
oWoD was extremely dumb about saying 'We know your players will be attracted to a concept. But that's dumb and childish. This is the mature game for smart people, so we're going to mechanically penalize that, and encourage you to use ST fiat to punish players for wanting to play a vampire werewolf, or a Ronin or <whatever>.'

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

theironjef posted:

Well I guess I'm throwing out my Werewolf character I have half-made for a fighter. :v:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yes but they were also really bad at actually stopping it mechanically, so whatevers. Yeah the GM can always just make poo poo up, but that's outside the system and I always have the option of telling Todd to get the gently caress out of my apartment we're just gonna play Tzolk'in cause you're a dick. loving Todd.

We're RAW dogging it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Coolness Averted posted:

oWoD was extremely dumb about saying 'We know your players will be attracted to a concept. But that's dumb and childish. This is the mature game for smart people, so we're going to mechanically penalize that, and encourage you to use ST fiat to punish players for wanting to play a vampire werewolf, or a Ronin or <whatever>.'

Exalted 1e was also terrible for this. "Hey, here are a ton of weird flavorful character options! Almost all of them are either ineligible for exaltation, which means they'll never be mechanically equivalent to even the lowest-tier PC Exalt, or they can exalt and have insane mechanical penalties for it barring a few really boring edge cases. Have fun ignoring these rules and building a generic Solar so you can actually do something!"

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Years ago a friend of mine worked out how you could roll 168 damage dice as a werebear.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kestral posted:

Kid character backstories get buck wild, keep us apprised of their delightful weirdness and see if you can spot which elements of their media diet are showing up. My kidgroup is played troupe style, with every player running a small stable of 2-4 characters that rotate in and out of play, and it's always amusing to watch them try to slip something in from whatever game or book they're super in to at the moment.
I still mostly run my games like that

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I still mostly run my games like that

Hell, the Mage game I'm planning right now features such Original NPCs Do Not Steal as "Captain Raymond Holt," "Elliott Spencer" (the Leverage one), "Elliott Spencer" (the Hellraiser one), and "literally the entire cast of the Glitch Mob's We Can Make the World Stop video."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Have the two Elliotts make-out and I think you got a hell of a pitch for a graphic novel.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Xiahou Dun posted:

Have the two Elliotts make-out and I think you got a hell of a pitch for a graphic novel.
Elliott would never cheat on Hardison and Parker.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Elliott would never cheat on Hardison and Parker.

This 1000%.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

DoctorWhat posted:

Does anyone else on these forums ever play KLASK? Just got a personal copy after playing a friend's and it's a blast.

Googled it after seeing this and it looks rad. Is there an online version? Seems a great candidate.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

theironjef posted:

If you show up to the table with a full on Blanka I don't think anyone's gonna be anything less than impressed.

No, pick Zangief so he can throw a 20-die spinning pile driver and obliterate a 4th gen in a single glorious instant.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kestral posted:

Kid character backstories get buck wild, keep us apprised of their delightful weirdness and see if you can spot which elements of their media diet are showing up. My kidgroup is played troupe style, with every player running a small stable of 2-4 characters that rotate in and out of play, and it's always amusing to watch them try to slip something in from whatever game or book they're super in to at the moment.
He's in 2nd grade, so it's basically "I used to be a bad guy, but then I saw the good guys and decided I want to be good" - but the fact that he just spontaneously came up with it was really adorable.

The second session was kinda rockier than the first, with the kids getting really easily distracted. But they had a fantastic time talking to a pair of dwarves from the adventure, including one who insisted they split the dead rat they picked up 'fifty-fifty.'

The biggest surprise of the night to me? When they emerged from the dungeon/excavation site, there were some orcs who decided that the excavation was their new house. They were just like, "Oh, okay, sounds good." When the dwarves protested, they gave them an ultimatum of "come back to town with us or we're gonna leave you with the orcs." So unlike most D&D groups who would have just gone straight at the orcs swords drawn, they had no interest in extra fights.

Everyone leveled up to 2nd. I just handed out the 2nd level pregens. I'm not even gonna go into leveling up yet with this particular group. :)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"I used to be a bad guy, then realized this was wrong because I saw people who weren't terrible." is a classic backstory for a reason, that's a great starting place.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Night10194 posted:

"I used to be a bad guy, then realized this was wrong because I saw people who weren't terrible." is a classic backstory for a reason, that's a great starting place.
Yep. :)

And as far as the 'other pop culture references' thing - it's all very immediate and surface-level. :) My older son has decided his druid is literally Hagrid, and went off on a 'Do you know Dumbledore?" conversation with a shopkeeper last week. My younger (the one with the backstory) is calling his character Zuko, though spelled differently. The barbarian is Pumpkin McGee, which is new to me, dunno where she got that one from. And the 2nd grade girl named her fighter TIGER SORD but thought about changing it yesterday to FOX SORD (The 4th grade girl tried to correct her spelling, but she was having none of it.)

I have also discovered that my 2nd grader is surprisingly quick and accurate on HP subtraction math.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

dwarf74 posted:

Yep. :)

And as far as the 'other pop culture references' thing - it's all very immediate and surface-level. :) My older son has decided his druid is literally Hagrid, and went off on a 'Do you know Dumbledore?" conversation with a shopkeeper last week. My younger (the one with the backstory) is calling his character Zuko, though spelled differently. The barbarian is Pumpkin McGee, which is new to me, dunno where she got that one from. And the 2nd grade girl named her fighter TIGER SORD but thought about changing it yesterday to FOX SORD (The 4th grade girl tried to correct her spelling, but she was having none of it.)

I'm getting your children to name all of my future characters, these are great.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
D&D will legit improve kids' math and reading scores, and it happens fast. When they start rolling a bunch of dice, like Fireballs or what-have-you, show them the trick of "counting by tens" - making 10 by combining two 5s, or 6 + 4, or 2 + 2 + 6 etc., then adding up all the 10s plus the remainder. Suddenly they're doing math homework and not even realizing it, it's great.

Also, the adventures of TIGER SORD and FOX SORD need fanart in the vein of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
FOX SORD's going to grow up into KITSUNE KATANA if you're not careful.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

TIGER SORD and FOX SORD would be perfect concepts for WoD or CoD changelings. A pair of beast seeming buddies, fighting hobgoblins!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Aww, thanks for the comments, folks. :) I've been having a blast with the game. And my wife is a saint for patiently playing the party leader and letting them do their thing.

Now that everyone is back in town, my younger son has told me that his dark elf needs sunglasses, so next time we'll do that I'm sure. The girls decided they wanted to buy cats instead of pooling their money for a horse and I uh ... I am going to roll with it, of course, but also I don't want the game to become The Cat Herder Hour. They get distracted with my actual cat plenty already, and I think an in-game cat would be... like... too much cat? We will see what happens!

My older son is the druid and has said he wants an in-game snake to match his real actual pet snake. I can't for him to find out that he can now turn into a snake himself.

I expect, upon finding this out, everyone else will be jealous and will want to turn their characters into druids.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kestral posted:

D&D will legit improve kids' math and reading scores, and it happens fast. When they start rolling a bunch of dice, like Fireballs or what-have-you, show them the trick of "counting by tens" - making 10 by combining two 5s, or 6 + 4, or 2 + 2 + 6 etc., then adding up all the 10s plus the remainder. Suddenly they're doing math homework and not even realizing it, it's great.

Also, the adventures of TIGER SORD and FOX SORD need fanart in the vein of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.

Yup magic also got me into math far better than most lessons when I was in the 3rd grade. Card games also got me actually understanding probability before it came up in middleschool.
Unfortunately since I was a product of the US public school system there was nothing to bridge that whole 'this thing you understand is actually directly the math we're talking about' before college.
I really hope getting kids to play and understand 'the guts' of some boardgames takes off more. I've seen a bunch of 7-10 year olds from geeky families learn to understand numbers far better thanks to them.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah - dice taught me probability, and I'm using that in my job these days. The 1e DMG introduced me to bell curves at an early age.

And I forgot to share this! While I am not posting pictures of my children (and especially their friends who are not my own children) I'll gladly share their artwork. Here's TIGER SORD by the 2nd grade girl.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Cat beard!?

:kimchi:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
omg i didn't even notice that.

e: Her dad sent it to me earlier this week. I also think the tiger has horns instead of ears, if I am looking at it right, which is great.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

FOX SORD's going to grow up into KITSUNE KATANA if you're not careful.

On the one hand, this reads like it's supposed to be a cautionary tale.

On the other hand, KITSUNE KATANA sounds gently caress awesome.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
:toot:

Free League launches Community Content Program

quote:

Free League Publishing today launched the Free League Workshop – the official community content program for Free League tabletop roleplaying games, in collaboration with OneBookShelf. In the Free League workshop, gamers can publish their own adventures set in the worlds of the acclaimed RPGs Tales from the Loop, Mutant: Year Zero, Coriolis, Forbidden Lands, and Symbaroum.

https://www.mynewsdesk.com/us/free-league/pressreleases/free-league-launches-community-content-program-2969398

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
That may be the least offensive content program license I've read.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
We don't seem to have a Fate Core thread anymore so I'll post this here.

I have a Fate Condensed Hack that is ready for feedback.

Let me just say that this is a game that will require the X Card

Let me explain some backstory. Somehow, when I saw this scene in Persona 5 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OeO1g8iWvs ), I got the idea for a game where you played teenagers with transforming superpowers fighting society. It was a vague idea but it just kind of came out from this one scene. You can see lingering influence of it in the document.

Then this developed oddly in my head. See, I kind of view Persona 5 as a superhero property. And I love superheroes so that mixed together. I was also rediscovering World of Darkness for a tick, until I learned how abusive the parent company is So, World of Darkness was on my mind. That's why the in progress document is called The Lost. I needed a name and just went with The Lost from Changeling The Lost with no greater thought. Everything kind of just started as weird anti-establishment teenage superheroes. It started to mix with WoD. But then, at some point, it basically started to get very LGBT+. Probably because I'm trans but everything shifted to LGBT+ superheroes at some point, specially trans, non-binary, agender, gender fluid superheroes fighting against oppression literally. It's honestly a little muddy

As a result, like with some microgames I made in the past, it started to touch on some real life issues and beliefs that I have So, kind of why I think its unsellable, even if I cut out the placeholder GIS art, did layout, etc. This is just a design doc.

Anyhoo, without further ado, the game: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-xqWge25Ii-SeaED8rETur3A7uqKxpARCgEKbxVB3VE/edit?usp=sharing

Any commentary is appreciated!

I'm really worried this game might be offensive, honestly.

Oh also, I haven't touched Fate in forever. And I lucked out that Fate Condensed came out mid development. So I think I may have hosed some things up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Fate Core thread is literally on page 1 right now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Fate Core thread is literally on page 1 right now.

It wasn't at the time of posting though, it was super buried

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I am sure it comes as a surprise to nobody that Robert Bledsaw II of Judges' Guild is of a chud nature, but it seems like he's letting his whole rear end show.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

"O this looks really bad."

*scrolls down*

*sees JEWSMEDIA*

:stare:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's not his fault. His account was hacked by a swarthy Antillian.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah, apparently the alt-right are just incredibly hackable.

(By waiting a small amount of time for them to out themselves as enormous racists. Their passwords must all be "imperceptible amount of patience".)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah - dice taught me probability, and I'm using that in my job these days. The 1e DMG introduced me to bell curves at an early age.

I was taught negative numbers by an angry 6th grader during a game of Vector 3 - a space combat game using vector in three dimension. He slapped me with a tractor beam and I did the vector addition wrong, sending my ship careening in a wildly wrong direction.