Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I grew up, and currently live, in the part of Denmark that is said to have inspired parts of Middle Earth.

Today, I hiked around Tookland

Official signs and explanation:

Text is OCR'ed from the English part of the sign

quote:

J.R.R. Tolkien

Did you know that J.R.R. Tolkien immortalised a number of local myths and place names from Syddjurs in his literary masterpieces The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion?

Tolkien was a linguist at Oxford University and studied Jutland's oldest history through his passion for languages, cartography and Old Norse texts, which he also translated into English.

In his search for the origins of the English folk, Tolkien spent much of his professional life researching the history and language of the oldest Jutes. He became so fascinated by Jutland's history that he ended up learning Danish, just so he could read the old writings by Saxo and Aggersen among others.

Tolkien regarded Jutland as a lost mythical kingdom which history had disappeared throughout the time. His lifelong research led him to conclude that the original Jutes emigrated to the British Isles, where they established a new Jutlandic region in Kent.

Toggerbo

You are now on the outskirts of the abandoned village of Toggerbo, which is mentioned for the first time in the 1.400s. A tokke denotes a piece of land outside the village's measured land, which is why many believe that the name Toggerbo can be freely translated into the place outside the country's law and order.

When the agricultural land became too poor during the 19th century, the villagers left after which Toggerbo stood empty for many years. Only in recent times have people moved back to the area again. The actual landscape around the village has been sacred since the Bronze Age, as both the Bronze Age tombs Trehoje not far from here and the sacred springs in the area testify.

The name Toggerbo may have helped inspire Tolkien with the name Tookland, home of the Took clan.

The Tooks

In Tolkiens Middle-earth the Took clan is among the more dominant of the Hobbit clans, known to be more adventurous, foolhardy and irreverent than the rest of the Hobbits. Which correlates well with the fact that a tokke is also an older Danish friendly insult used about a person who behaves in a silly or foolish manner.

Bilbo Baggin's mother was of the Took clan and Peregrin "Pippin" Took, who participates in Frodo's epic journey in The Lord of the Rings, is a full-blooded Took.

Pippin is described in the trilogy as slightly immature, silly and unlucky, and as an ongoing annoyance to Gandalf, who amongst other things calls Pippin "a fool of a Took".

Tolkien described Tookland and The Shire as picturesque and scenic with its hilly landscape, rippling streams and small villages inhabited by the hobbits. Tolkien never visited Syddjurs, which can seem strange, when you walk through the hills at Toggerbo, where you will witness a landscape reminiscent of Tookland in The Shire in Tolkien's books.

Landscapes, nooks and crannies in Tookland:

Bonus - A view from the highest point in the area, Agri Bavnehøj. This is said to be the inspiration for the Beacons of Gondor ("Bavnehøj" means "beacon hill"). Helm's Deep is juuuust on the other side of the peninsula in the background.

I spend a lot of time hiking, hunting and fishing in the area. I even fished Helm's Deep all the time with my dad as a kid - so if there is interest I'll post as I pass by points of interest. Isengard has some pretty good sea trout fishing :)

Mzuri fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The kids Im reading to would love to see this stuff if you've more to share.

At Turin Turambar and its wild cause its now non stop conjecture of "how does anyone stop Morgoth???"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
https://youtu.be/bKHOrLqVn-o

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what's the name for that syntax Tolkien uses in battle/dramatic scenes where he puts the descriptor before the described, ie "fey, he seemed" or "swift was Fingolfin"

I remember reading he did it cause it was a common feature in old English battle poetry

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

indigi posted:

what's the name for that syntax Tolkien uses in battle/dramatic scenes where he puts the descriptor before the described, ie "fey, he seemed" or "swift was Fingolfin"

I remember reading he did it cause it was a common feature in old English battle poetry

It might be because old english used the German thing where the verb comes first?

My latest tolkien kick has me wanting to order an oe textbook just as a hobby

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It might be because old english used the German thing where the verb comes first?

My latest tolkien kick has me wanting to order an oe textbook just as a hobby

The German thing is the verb comes last isn't it?

But yeah it could just be a poetic thing. Messing with word order to emphasise different things in that context is a well known, well, thing.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah but there's a specific term for it that I forget

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Just 'free word order' or maybe 'inverted order'? Works a lot better in highly inflected languages where the order doesn't have as much semantic meaning (crops up in Latin poetry a lot for eg).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

feedmegin posted:

The German thing is the verb comes last isn't it?

But yeah it could just be a poetic thing. Messing with word order to emphasise different things in that context is a well known, well, thing.

What I was taught is that in a basic sentence, it’s svo if the subject is the first sourd in the sentence, but other wise the v comes before the s, eg In Mittelerde ist Fëanor ein Idiot vs Fëanor ist ein Idiot. Old english also does this. But don’t quote me cuz all my german is in denglish.

Old english poetry also muddles word order for funzies too, though. Three genders and far more declensions and conjugations mean you can mess with it a lot more than modern english without turning it into gibberish.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 30, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

indigi posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_copular_constructions maybe? Closest thing I could find, still doesn't seem quite right

I know what you mean though. Tolkien uses it, so does William Morris' fantasy stuff (Sigurd the Volsung, House of the Wolfings/Roots of the Mountains) which Tolkien had definitely read, and which were consciously trying to translate/supplement the archaic Germanic epic. I'm not sure if there was any specific inspiration for Morris' diction.

It does sound vaguely OE but I can't think of an example off the top of my head either. The "normal" word order seems more common to me. Like in "Battle of Maldon"

quote:

Hige sceal þē heardra, heorte þē cēnre,
mōd sceal þē māre, þē ūre mægen lytlað.
All noun (verb) descriptive phrase.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

And he did, that’s why he’s the king.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

And he did, that’s why he’s the king.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Just keeping up the family tradition of ill-advised "1v1 me bro"s.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/hangsawoman/status/1658808464091521027
This game gonna suck.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Untitled Gollum Game.

It's a lovely day in the village and you are a horrible Gollum, finding out secrets and taking bairns from their cribs.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

About This Content
The Sindarin VO DLC adds even more authenticity to the game experience by having the Elves speak in Sindarin, the Elvish language created by J. R. R Tolkien.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Passed by a 700 year-old place called Kalø earlier and found out why Frodo is called Frodo(probably):

quote:

J.R.R. Tolkien
Did you know that J.R.R. Tolkien immortalised a number of local myths and place names from Syddjurs in his literary masterpieces The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion?
Tolkien was a linguist at Oxford University and studied Jutland's oldest history through his passion for cartography, the Scandinavian languages and Old Norse texts, which he also translated into English. Tolkien regarded Jutland as a lost mythical kingdom which history had disappeared throughout the time.

His lifelong research led him to conclude that the original Jutes emigrated to the British Isles, where they established a new Jutlandic region in Kent.
In Tolkien's own mythology, Middle-earth is divided by the River Aros. The sea which separates Syddjurs from Samso and Tune in the East, and the East Jutland Coast to the West, is called Aarhus Bay today, but the viking name for Aarhus is Aros.

Frodo
Here by the shores of Kalø Vig stands one of Denmark's most beautiful castle ruins. Built by the Danish king Erik Menved after his victory in the Jutland Peasant Uprising in 1313. For centuries, the castle has been a symbol of the monarchy's presence in Jutland.
The Danish monarchy has had a great influence on all of Scandinavia and Northern
Europe. The line of Danish kings dates even further back than Gorm the Old and the Jellinge Dynasty. The Beowulf poem tells of Danish kings in the 5th century AD, who at this time ruled Denmark from the Royal Hall in Lejre. This story caught Tolkien's atten-tion.

As part of his research, Tolkien studied Denmark's earliest royal families. His extensive knowledge of the Danish Iron Age and Viking families eventually formed the framework for Tolkien's own tales. One of the ancient legendary Danish kings in the mythical Scyldingas family line is Frode Fredegod. In the Anglo-Saxon sources Frode is called Frodo. He may possibly have been the name-sake for Tolkien's hobbit Frodo Baggings.

The letter from the Crown Princess
J.R.R. Tolkien's relationship with the Danish Royals suddenly became more close and contemporary in 1969, when he received a letter from none other than Crown Princess Magrethe I of Denmark. The Crown Princess wrote about her great fascination with his works, whic she first read in her youth. She explained that she too had always loved fairy tales, sagas and legends, and believed that Tolkien had written a series of new fairy tales that were at least as good as the classics. The letter also contained the princess's own drawings of the Lord of the Rings.
Tolkien replied telling the princess that she drew his characters with just the right childlike wisdom. He highlighted the illustrations to his own son as some of the best depictions of his work. At the new release of The Lord of the Rings in 1977, the now Danish queen was therefore asked if she would like to illustrate the trilogy. Queen Margrethe said yes, provided she was credited as Ingahild Grathmer. A pseudonym which contains letters from the queen's full name: Margrethe Alexandrine Pórhildur Ingrid.

Queen Magrethe is today an honorary member of The Tolkien Society and has repeatedly exhibited her collection of personal illustrations of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. She has also created plays for the performance of Tolkien's stories in theatres across Denmark.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Never bet against Tolkien knowing about Scyldings. John Rateliff in History of the Hobbit agrees with this source for the name of Frodo, citing the following fun passage about King Frodo’s mythical reign:

quote:

Norsemen called it the Peace of Froði. No man injured another, even although he was confronted with the slayer of his father or brother, free or in bonds. Neither were there any thieves or robbers, so that a gold ring lay untouched for a long time on the Heath of Jelling.

He also mentions that there is another legendary character by this name: Elgfrothi, or Moose-Frodo, an outlaw and bandit cursed to be a moose from the waist down because his mother conceived him with a werebear whose meat she was then forced to eat!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
And despite all this research he also back-translated them consistently into the « actual » western too

Prof. Tolkien posted:

Bilbo. The actual H. name was Bilba, as explained above.

Frodo. On the other hand the H. name was Maura. This was not a common name in the Shire, but I think it probably once had a meaning, even if that had long been forgotten. No word maur- can be found in the contemporary C.S., but again recourse to comparison with the language of Rohan is enlightening. In that language there was an adjective maur-, no longer current at this time, but familiar in verse or higher styles of speech; it meant 'wise, experienced'. I have, there- fore, rendered Maura by Frodo, an old Germanic name, that appears to contain the word frod which in ancient English corresponded closely in meaning to Rohan maur.

Baggins. H. Labingi. It is by no means certain that this name is really connected with C.S. labin 'a bag'; but it was believed to be so, and one may compare Labin-nec 'Bag End' as the name of the residence of Bungo Baggins (Bunga Labingi). I have accordingly rendered the name Labingi by Baggins, which gives, I think, a very close equivalent in readily appreciable modern terms.

Merriadoc’s name Kalimac conveniently is shortened to mean the westron for happy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/GollumGame/status/1662124108614717448

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Who could have guessed

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Do game developers just shovel poo poo out the door without bothering to test it these days?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

keep punching joe posted:

Do game developers just shovel poo poo out the door without bothering to test it these days?

it wasn't that it was buggy or broken, it was just a bad game. it happens.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
To be fair, they mainly just did mediocre incredibly german point-and-click adventures until getting Gollum Game

Point-and-click Gollum adventure would legit be fun, come to think of it

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

keep punching joe posted:

These days?

Yes, this is a thing. It's a very expensive thing to do, making a game. And if it's not coming together as good as you had hoped, you generally don't have the option of continuing development forever or hanging onto it for a bit.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Anyone could have told them, though, that this character that is repulsive in all ways, would make a bad central character for a game. And that a company that has no experience in this would be a bad choice.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Zesty posted:

Anyone could have told them, though, that this character that is repulsive in all ways, would make a bad central character for a game. And that a company that has no experience in this would be a bad choice.

neither of these things are good advice! plenty of games have protagonists that are weird monsters, antiheroes, or both. the developers are experienced, and even if they weren't, there's only one way to start becoming experienced. most of the reasons people say a game was "obviously" doomed in hindsight are things devs routinely overcome, or don't even really matter.

games just don't come together sometimes! it happens.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Sorry you and your coworkers made a ill-conceived and expectedly bad game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Come on.

Cease to Hope posted:

plenty of games have protagonists that are weird monsters, antiheroes, or both.

:psyduck: They're just out of frame! Nevermind they did their damndest to try and cutesy him up compared to every other adaptation because they know it's a problem.

Cease to Hope posted:

the developers are experienced, and even if they weren't, there's only one way to start becoming experienced.

:psyduck: What do you even say to this? Just bananas. Yes, it was completely ill-conceived to hire this company without any experience for this job for a major franchise that has put out quality games before.

Also holy poo poo it's the Deponia folks? The game series where you can sell a black woman into slavery because it's convenient to the protagonist to progress? Who gets dressed up in skimpy clothing and then called a monkey. And it treats it all as just kind of fun and silly. That whole series just has the worst writing in general. loving christ.

Cease to Hope posted:

it wasn't that it was buggy or broken, it was just a bad game. it happens.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-lord-of-the-rings-gollum-review-we-dont-wants-it-we-dont-needs-it/1900-6418070/

"In my roughly 11 hours of playtime on 'Performance' mode on a PlayStation 5, the game crashed over 120 times, averaging about one crash every five minutes."

https://twitter.com/MarioPrime/status/1661709572447391745?s=20

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 27, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Zesty posted:

Come on.

Oh there are monstrous heroes in games. They're just out of frame over here. :psyduck: Nevermind they did their damndest to try and cutesy him up compared to every other adaptation.

Actually, this company was experienced. And even if they weren't, how are they supposed to get experienced? :psyduck:

Also holy poo poo it's the Deponia folks? The game series where you can sell a black woman into slavery because it's convenient to the protagonist? With the awful writing in general? loving christ.

Gollum looks exactly like he did in the LOTR movies except with hair. And repeating the correct replies to you saying dumb poo poo about game dev in italics doesn't make what you said any more correct. Stop getting weird about video games!

People aren't mad because the protagonist is ugly or monstrous. The game is named after Gollum, after all. People are mad because the game is crammed with inane tasks, ugly and janky UI and controls, and tries to be this weird tragic melodrama despite the fact that you already know what happens. It's not like this is an experience problem, because Dadaelic's (also-mostly-bad) previous games are basically nothing but UI and story, they should be good at this by now. (And, again, plenty of fine games are made by development teams who haven't shipped a game under that name before.)

They just didn't have an interesting idea for a game or an interesting idea for a story, or else whatever idea they had didn't survive the development process. The only way it was "obviously" doomed is that Dadaelic's games almost always end up feeling half-baked and off-putting. It's just a regular old bad game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yes, I'm the one being weird about this mess. :jerkbag:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Zesty posted:

i pointed out you were wrong while agreeing that the game was bad and you accused me of working for them lmao

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Buddy, everything you write has been objectively wrong here. From your claims that the game isn't a buggy mess to claiming the company has any experience outside of point and clicks. You're embarrassing defense of it against all reason is rightly mocked and you can't read that as anything other than "They think I actually work for them."

:brainworms:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

skasion posted:

Never bet against Tolkien knowing about Scyldings. John Rateliff in History of the Hobbit agrees with this source for the name of Frodo, citing the following fun passage about King Frodo’s mythical reign:

He also mentions that there is another legendary character by this name: Elgfrothi, or Moose-Frodo, an outlaw and bandit cursed to be a moose from the waist down because his mother conceived him with a werebear whose meat she was then forced to eat!

gonna rewrite lotr to star moose-frodo instead

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What exactly was the plot of the game anyways? Does Gollum make out with Shelob?

Zesty posted:

They had some kind of success doing that with the Deponia games though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Zesty posted:

You're embarrassing defense of it against all reason

I went back and read this whole interaction because you seem to be coming at me incredibly aggro and I legit do not get where you came up with this. I guess I didn't know the console version was a crash fest? It's really quite a bad game, obviously, and I'm not really sure how I could have made that clearer. This has gone from funny to just baffling.

I still do not get the degree of anger about Gollum, though, just in general. It sounds like a crappy licensed cash-in. Most LOTR games have been! It's wild that there are as many actually good ones as there are, especially since the devs of Shadow of Mordor were just coming off of making a generic and wholly unnecessary LOTR MOBA.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Zesty posted:

correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
we're watchin this dude on stream play Gollum

the camera angle in this mission looks awful but Shelob is not a hot lady, so I'm ranking this mid tier. Better than BFME2, better than the Fellowship game, worse than the Hobbit platformer, the Gauntlet clones, or LEGO LotR