Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Well, I finished Lilly, and then everything worth doing on Cif, at which point I decided to just start reading everything. I'm happy I managed to solve as much as I did mostly on my own/with minimal hints, but from here on out I'll get to the Dis runs of Gray and Lilly when I feel like diving back in.

I liked everything in the story up until it started to feel less like a crafted character piece and more like a lore dump, after which point I still enjoyed it, but, I don't know it just feel like goes in too many directions at some point. I'll see if I feel more or less like that after Dis.

Still, great game will recommend to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I picked up cave noire and everyone who liked void stranger should play cave noire. it's an interesting game on its own merits and it's cool to see where a lot of the stuff from void stranger came from. it's a 1991 game boy game about going through randomized dungeons, but the grid, snappy movement, predictable enemies (usually better avoided than killed) and so forth made it to void stranger pretty much intact. clearly a huge influence on the game. the art has a lot of character too.

very funny seeing that void stranger took the simple hp mechanic from cave noire, put it in the UI, but excised it entirely from the actual game

plus it has a really cute manual:
https://annarchive.com/files4/CaveNoire_InstructionBooklet.pdf

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
now i'm just wondering how long until some enterprising goofball tries to make a ROM hack adding VS's graphics

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Apologies if this is discussed somewhere in the thread - i have a question about level B029.

I am on my second run through the game having finished the dungeon once as VOID gray. I have the memory cube thing and can read mural inscriptions and talk to the boulders / eggs. I am on this level, and got up to the broken mural, and bashed into it a few times and broke through to what looks like a computer screen attached to some cables, or tentacles, or veins or something. But I can't get it to do anything - the dialogue just says "The mural crumbled away revealing a small niche full of .. what is this?" is this something i have to revisit later?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
It's nothing you can deal with now.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I picked ZeroRanger up again since setting it aside after 2 hours back in October because I was not happy with having to farm points across multiple runs to stack up my continues to clear the final stage. It took me 12 more hours of playing to finally beat it and I'm not entirely sure it was worth the struggle.

Venting time!!! I'm very annoyed by the same thing it seems everybody is: having it wipe your save file if you fail the ending. What were they smoking? I get the theme but that is not at all fun and you have to grind up your continues again and again every time you screw up with no way to actually practice the damned thing. It also sucked having to retry the entire stage if you ate a few cheapshots and lost more than a couple of your continues because there is no point proceeding with less than five. Despair was hard enough, there was no need for this layer of absolute bullshit on top of it. And the ending you get is super underwhelming for the effort involved, ugh. The game peaked when Erasure stuffs you in a dream world with the gameboy parodies (which I'm sad weren't a little bit more fleshed out) and failed to recover.

I do have some questions though.
I'm now in NG+ or something. Is Great Oppressor any different or more interesting?
I see a list of challenges and a gallery of unlocks for completing them. Is there lore in here or just art of the characters and ships?
Was there any point to white vanilla other than practice and score attack? It looks to have been replaced with something else now but I never finished it.
Is there anything special for being able to 1CC the game without triggering the cycle of life and death? I was able to get to 2' on a fresh save before R-Type finally punted me into reincarnating; posted a cool 230k high score from that run.
Any other secrets the game is hiding no normal human would ever stumble across?

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Swilo posted:

I picked ZeroRanger up again since setting it aside after 2 hours back in October because I was not happy with having to farm points across multiple runs to stack up my continues to clear the final stage. It took me 12 more hours of playing to finally beat it and I'm not entirely sure it was worth the struggle.

Venting time!!! I'm very annoyed by the same thing it seems everybody is: having it wipe your save file if you fail the ending. What were they smoking? I get the theme but that is not at all fun and you have to grind up your continues again and again every time you screw up with no way to actually practice the damned thing. It also sucked having to retry the entire stage if you ate a few cheapshots and lost more than a couple of your continues because there is no point proceeding with less than five. Despair was hard enough, there was no need for this layer of absolute bullshit on top of it. And the ending you get is super underwhelming for the effort involved, ugh. The game peaked when Erasure stuffs you in a dream world with the gameboy parodies (which I'm sad weren't a little bit more fleshed out) and failed to recover.

I do have some questions though.
I'm now in NG+ or something. Is Great Oppressor any different or more interesting?
all Buddhism and Sanskrit is removed from the game, the sleeping monk in 1-4 is changed and when you finish 2-4 the ending is changed

I see a list of challenges and a gallery of unlocks for completing them. Is there lore in here or just art of the characters and ships?
Just those, I think, but I never unlocked them all.

Was there any point to white vanilla other than practice and score attack? It looks to have been replaced with something else now but I never finished it.
After you beat the orb Spewer, you get a bonus stage if you shoot the congratulations box. Pre-True Ending, I think you catch a glimpse of Erasure in there.
And pre-True Ending, you'd get a cinematic if you got a high enough score; post-True Ending, Gofer Operator congratulates you.

Is there anything special for being able to 1CC the game without triggering the cycle of life and death? I was able to get to 2' on a fresh save before R-Type finally punted me into reincarnating; posted a cool 230k high score from that run.
The music changes on the escape sequence after beating Despair

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I think thematically your save being wiped is extremely cool. The first time it happened to me I was floored because I was expecting it, but it really sold the tone of the final mission. Any attempts after that, I figure you can always get to the final ending and back up your save with a good number of continues and try it that way.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Zero Ranger: imo wiping your save is fine; thematically it fits because they straight up tell you at the start that getting attached to trivial things is bad, the game is breezy enough where you get back there in like an hour, and shmups are a genre where one of the major goal driven challenges are beating the game on a single credit/set of lives which is effectively the same thing. It’s cool, and I’m saying that as someone who didn’t succeed for a good half dozen attempts. But that’s probably a discussion for the shmups thread

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think ZeroRanger works better if you want the 1cc, even if you don't wind up getting it in the end. If the 1cc is something you want, erasing your continues is of course not a big deal. It just forces you to start from the beginning, which is something you're interested in doing anyway. And you can then get the rest of your continues by practicing more, which again, is already something you want to do.

I actually super owned myself by thinking the way to get past 2-3 was to get there on one credit. It turns out: No.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
This is heresy but for zero ranger I dont really enjoy the gameplay that much outside of the funky/dynamic levels (1-4, 2-3 boss, and 2-4). Not that it's badly done I just dont enjoy the spawn memorization/routing style of shmup. I ended up doing the save copy scum method and it was still pretty hype for me because getting past 2-4 alone still put a lot on the line for me. The levels I do like though are probably the best game I've ever played.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 20, 2024

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Hi thread, i stumbled into this game by chance and then played it basically nonstop all week

Paladin posted:

Well, I finished Lilly, and then everything worth doing on Cif, at which point I decided to just start reading everything. I'm happy I managed to solve as much as I did mostly on my own/with minimal hints, but from here on out I'll get to the Dis runs of Gray and Lilly when I feel like diving back in.

I liked everything in the story up until it started to feel less like a crafted character piece and more like a lore dump, after which point I still enjoyed it, but, I don't know it just feel like goes in too many directions at some point. I'll see if I feel more or less like that after Dis.

Still, great game will recommend to everyone.

The lore dumps tie back into the character piece. Spoilers for the full game: So much of the game is about Gray and why she makes the choices she does, especially with regards to taking Lillie. As more or less a successor to Add, understanding Add's story, her obsession with creation, and how much she hosed up and hurt people because of it gives you a window into Gray's own choices, desires, and regrets. What exactly those are can be interpreted in a few ways, I think, but Add adds a lot of layers to it.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

re:zeroranger ending

i actually love the save deletion, yeah. thematically it's brilliant. the only annoyance is having to grind points runs to get enough continues to realistically have a shot at the TLB.... i know i'm not good enough to get through it without a bunch of HP, which means that despite getting back to the end relatively quickly i still have to grind out 2-3 a bunch of times to get up to 6 or 7 continues if i want any kind of a real chance at beating it

....i still haven't beaten it, i've gambled my save and lost dozens of times at this point probably, but i don't resent it too much. it's just that having to redo the grind is tiresome

i do have one curiosity... and it's something that would only (i think) be possible prior to completing the TLB...:
what if you make it through the "escape" sequence after despair without dying? i KNOW it's possible because i've come damned close, and i know from youtube that the scene that plays after that sequence is drastically altered by going into the other "phase" of the game after beating the TLB. what if you cleared despair, then managed to make it through the escape gauntlet, without running out of HP, on a save that has not yet beaten the TLB??? would your ship not be a burning wreckage? would erasure have something unique/interesting to say about it??? i wanna know!!!

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
There's a new update!
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2121980/view/4167591962351328636

quote:

Void Stranger ver 1.1.0 is now live!

The main focus of this long overdue update is to bring the in-game music tracks up to par with the soundtrack's Steam/Bandcamp release, which had some small extra touches. Sorry about the delay.
If you listen closely, you might spot the differences!

This version also comes with a plethora of bugfixes, typo corrections and other small miscellaneous adjustments, most of which have been blissfully forgotten at the time of writing. Nevertheless, we're thankful for your continued support and bug reports!

BUGFIXES:
During certain edge cases (mostly involving lightning statues, bomb floors and Void Wings), player was able to move twice per "turn" and avoid certain doom.
Re-entering dev room at certain point would loop the music incorrectly.

MISC:
The requirements for a certain young hothead appearing during the DIS end credits have been slightly altered.

Doesn't sound like much, but unless the official discord is running a massive psy-op then there's definitely new stuff hidden away. People are posting about finding mimics in various floors under certain circumstances. There also may or may not have been April Fools content yesterday?

That MISC note is also interesting. Had anybody ever found the previous requirements? I'm assuming it refers to the young girl who shoves you down a pit. Despite there being an official wiki now https://voidstranger.miraheze.org/wiki/Void_Stranger_Wiki it's still impossible to find information because it's super barebones and everybody just congregates in the discord answering the same questions over and over :(

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
11 hours in and just discovered this thread, so I'll post impressions here instead of the puzzle games thread.

My progression: Finished the first run where the game starts singing to you and things get trippy. Now I'm doing a slow second run where I try not to skip very much and collect/talk to everything.

I've been bad about doing the mural puzzles, but the rewards from both of the ones I've done so far have been wild. Every boulder has something to say? Suddenly, Ys II! The boss fight after getting the sword took me a bit to figure out how to actually hit the fucker, but was also a cool surprise. Definitely going to be quite the speed boost on some of the more pain-in-the-rear end puzzle floors on further plays.

After I finish my second full run I'm going to focus on solving the remainder of the mural puzzles, which means at some point I'm going to have to copy that loving picross puzzle onto my tablet and work it out.

Also, the tricks I learned for escaping the cube room with the 6x bump then wait 6s and the lucky locust trick with 3x bumps and wait 3s made me want to try that kind of thing on everything, which resulted in a pretty funny easter egg on floor B030.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Thoom posted:

11 hours in and just discovered this thread, so I'll post impressions here instead of the puzzle games thread.

My progression: Finished the first run where the game starts singing to you and things get trippy. Now I'm doing a slow second run where I try not to skip very much and collect/talk to everything.

I've been bad about doing the mural puzzles, but the rewards from both of the ones I've done so far have been wild. Every boulder has something to say? Suddenly, Ys II! The boss fight after getting the sword took me a bit to figure out how to actually hit the fucker, but was also a cool surprise. Definitely going to be quite the speed boost on some of the more pain-in-the-rear end puzzle floors on further plays.

After I finish my second full run I'm going to focus on solving the remainder of the mural puzzles, which means at some point I'm going to have to copy that loving picross puzzle onto my tablet and work it out.

Also, the tricks I learned for escaping the cube room with the 6x bump then wait 6s and the lucky locust trick with 3x bumps and wait 3s made me want to try that kind of thing on everything, which resulted in a pretty funny easter egg on floor B030.

:sickos:

Reading new player's progress and experiences are the only way to relive the game. Glad you're enjoying it!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Please, please keep us apprised of your progress, living vicariously through other playthroughs is one of the best parts of the Void Stranger experience

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Will do!

Current things on my to-do list: Solve all the mural puzzles. Get to the depths without being voided. See what else I can make happen by hacking the status bar, especially while unvoided, or if there are other ways to escape the map. Grind(?) out the crystals to unlock all the memories.

Current working theory on the story: The protagonist (of whom I assume Lady Grey is one fragment) is a modern day human. The whole game takes place inside her head as a way of navigating/coping with her grief/guilt over the loss of a child. The Void Lords are either other aspects of her personality or represent people involved in whatever event cost her the child.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Banged my head against the mural "target" room on B157 before giving up and moving on, but then had the first part of an epiphany a few floors later. Several of the murals are damaged by some kind of black scarring/smudge, and the number of letters of text you get reflects the number of mural tiles that are undamaged. There's also some kind of pattern on the mural tiles where some of the dots around the edge are lit/dark. I bet there's some correspondence between tile position, letter of the alphabet, and which dots are lit up that will let me fill in the blanks for the defaced murals if I can figure out what all the messages are. Presumably all this rock dialogue I've been meticulously recording will have some clues.

I will take one small, unrelated spoiler: If the Covetous Lord (or whoever the guy is with a post-it note reading 3 on his forehead who gives shortcut tips for locusts) is based on being over a certain threshold of locusts when you reach certain floors, what is that threshold?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thoom posted:

Banged my head against the mural "target" room on B157 before giving up and moving on, but then had the first part of an epiphany a few floors later. Several of the murals are damaged by some kind of black scarring/smudge, and the number of letters of text you get reflects the number of mural tiles that are undamaged. There's also some kind of pattern on the mural tiles where some of the dots around the edge are lit/dark. I bet there's some correspondence between tile position, letter of the alphabet, and which dots are lit up that will let me fill in the blanks for the defaced murals if I can figure out what all the messages are. Presumably all this rock dialogue I've been meticulously recording will have some clues.

I will take one small, unrelated spoiler: If the Covetous Lord (or whoever the guy is with a post-it note reading 3 on his forehead who gives shortcut tips for locusts) is based on being over a certain threshold of locusts when you reach certain floors, what is that threshold?

For your question, there is something you can find in-game that will tell you. You probably just haven't found it yet.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Cool! As long as it's not a matter of guessing and checking, I'm all good.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The game is very good about not requiring you to take blind guesses about things.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The strange Mimic thing was solved by the discord maybe an hour ago. I'll rate this as a post-post-post-(etc) game spoiler just because no one knows what the contents are, but:

there's a whole set of new floors titled "E" that have been added, accessible with a brand input that was created by many players finding the odd mimics in their games (one per save) and piecing together pixels from their heads to form an EX brand.

Happy hunting

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the new floors are brutal

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Zodack posted:

The strange Mimic thing was solved by the discord maybe an hour ago. I'll rate this as a post-post-post-(etc) game spoiler just because no one knows what the contents are, but:

Here's a write-up from the pinned message in the discord's spoilers channel:

quote:

HISTORY OF THE MIMICS
So, on March 30th, someone found a portrait in the game files of a mimic. Not, like, the character portraits that mimics usually use, just a big doughy homonculus with a visor, like on the steam trading card.
This was originally seen as just a silly little bit of unused content, and it was about to get deleted. But then someone said, hold on, I've seen this in-game, and provided a screenshot from December, showing a mimic in Add's brand room, just chilling and saying dot dot dot.
The discord went nuts for a few hours, as we tried to figure out how this weirdly unseen bit of content only ever surfaced for one person, period. Funny ideas were brought together and tested. The hunt eventually died down when dataminers confirmed that, no, you're supposed to need debug mode for that.
So we all just shrugged, guess it's something meant for testing dialog or something, and relegated it to the forbidden folder of "unused content".

Then SOMEONE created a thread about how they got it to work, and started posting screenshots. It was, after all, right before April Fool's Day, and it seemed like such a funny coincidence that we'd all played a prank on ourselves.
This led to a lot of folks making stuff up, and a lot of folks falling for it, and the cycle of realizing it's a joke so adding fuel to the fire. This reached a fever pitch around noon, EDT, on April 1st.

Unbeknownst to the public, the same mysterious creature who made the thread had a plan. An evil plan. A brilliant plan. A stupid plan. All the best plans are all of these things. Favors were called in, people were sworn to a conspiracy, and over the span of twelve hours, a horrifying stream took place. The moderator team streamed a playthrough where they showed all the mimics were real, after all! No tricks! And then, at the end, the unspeakable happened.
Watch it for yourself: https://youtu.be/NbLTguj6e8Q

---

After that, all seemed calm. Thank goodness, we all shouted, it was but an April's jape! We can all relax, and go back to our serious tasks.

Then April 2nd happened. A patch dropped. Oh, how funny, it's just a coincidence. It's a big update, but it has music file updates. And typo fixes. It sure would be hilarious if we all discovered unused content right before it became--

The mimics were back. No debug, no tricks. They were there. Oh no. We really HAD pulled the wool over our own eyes. How could we even believe this was real, if we were all still giddy and lightheaded from the laughter the previous day?! Were the devs simply getting in on the fun? Surely not, they're far too highbrow for that.

And yet, there the mimics were. Strangers quickly came together, verifying with their own eyes, data files, and void rods. Our collective faith shaken, but quickly rebuilt, we came together. It seemed that each player could find one mimic somewhere in the void, based on some inscrutable factor. While that factor was eventually found, save files were swapped around as everyone scrambled to find their mimics, and share the single pixel that was lit up on their visors. Combined together, those pixels started to take shape into a new brand. Of course!

When enough pixels were collected to know that there was, at least, an E, one brave soul managed to guess at the shape, and EX MODE was discovered! Vindication for :meepy:!

The rest, of what lies inside of EX mode, and the horrors it unleashed, is a story for another time...

tl;dr: We all coincidentally found something moments before it was done, and almost tricked ourselves out of a fantastic puzzle hunt. Go, team!

Simply amazing. ZeroRanger got updates for years after release (and is still supposed to get more) so this might be another prolonged journey until Void Stranger is truly over.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

what he gently caress

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Someone is insane here. Ever it's those guys, the devs, or just me.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

cant cook creole bream posted:

Someone is insane here. Ever it's those guys, the devs, or just me.

it's all of us

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

these are not puzzle mechanics i want to see together!!!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Cleaned up another couple mural puzzles, netting myself the wings and the "how many locusts do you need to attract the Covetous Lord" chart. The latter puzzle I sort of guessed on. I got it down to two degrees of freedom by looking carefully at which parts are obscured and comparing that against how many tiles I needed in the solution, and then I just ran through the list checking. Presumably there's a smarter way to do it, but I'll take it. I tried to apply the same strategy to the B141/157 mural, but there don't appear to be enough tiles on B157 to do even the revealed part of the mural, so presumably there's something else I need to figure out.

Also discovered that if you choose to give up when dying, you get cheat codes to unlock all of the powers you've found so far on a fresh save file, plus infinite locusts, which seems like it's gonna be handy for that "don't get voided" run.

Some things on my todo list: Getting and solving the last few covetous lord hints. Picking up the last couple memory crystals I've seen lying about. Talking to a boulder on B041 that I wasn't able to reach without pushing it into the void, but now I have wiiiiiings. Figuring out where to input the three picross solutions I've found. Presumably it has something to do with the the numbers that remain when everything else fades away.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
E024 is kicking my rear end, I'm really bad at these specific puzzles. I see what I need to do but not at all how to do it

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Posted recently in the recently in the general puzzle thread, hadn't seen that there was a thread proper for this. I was fairly down on the game after having inexplicably reset my game on floor B217 (which is, it turns out, quite close to the end??), attempted to enter a mural into the brand screen and got rejected, then solved the puzzle on B023, saw the sides of the room light up and thought "huh, I guess that's neat but I don't know what to do about that" and then undid the solution and moved on to replay two-hundred-odd rooms.

The situation has improved!! :toot:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Yeah, as mentioned in the other thread that situation you ran into is bizarre and that fail state is almost exclusively reserved for dying repeatedly in quick succession while Voided as a means to escape the game. You can even mash Z I want to say to stand back up and not die. In my 70 hours of playtime and PLENTY of Void gameplay I never ran into it. Really frustrating for you. Glad you are keeping at it!

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Zodack posted:

Yeah, as mentioned in the other thread that situation you ran into is bizarre and that fail state is almost exclusively reserved for dying repeatedly in quick succession while Voided as a means to escape the game.
That makes sense - The level I was on:
* was quite small
* spawned the character on an edge
* was giving me a lot of trouble

So while I was pondering what to do, I was also impatiently throwing myself down a hole over and over.

Even so, I’m a little glad it happened! After eventually looping back around to properly solve the puzzle in B023 to get the Cube What Lets You Talk To Rocks, and the apparent reveal that every rock is a person, the perma-death transition of transforming into, as I said in the other thread, “a weird egg??” makes a lot more sense!

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

Zodack posted:

Yeah, as mentioned in the other thread that situation you ran into is bizarre and that fail state is almost exclusively reserved for dying repeatedly in quick succession while Voided as a means to escape the game. You can even mash Z I want to say to stand back up and not die. In my 70 hours of playtime and PLENTY of Void gameplay I never ran into it. Really frustrating for you. Glad you are keeping at it!

AFAIK it wasn't even in the game originally. they patched it in later, as a kind of unstuck feature.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I'm doing the newest stuff. It's been quite some time since I played. I vaguely remembered that you could step off buttons straight into stairs, but this doesn't seem to work. Either patched or just my memory being vague. Stuck on E026. There's an optional thing here. I feel the urge to reach for it but it has already happened once in DIS that I reached for an optional and it turned out to be a fakeout:argh:.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Mindblast posted:

I'm doing the newest stuff. It's been quite some time since I played. I vaguely remembered that you could step off buttons straight into stairs, but this doesn't seem to work. Either patched or just my memory being vague. Stuck on E026. There's an optional thing here. I feel the urge to reach for it but it has already happened once in DIS that I reached for an optional and it turned out to be a fakeout:argh:.

Please give me a hint for E024, I hate these disappearing tiles

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Please give me a hint for E024, I hate these disappearing tiles

Hope I'm thinking of the right one here. Is itthe puzzle with the statue that you can only move once??

the statue has to move onto an activated square so it triggers the chain reaction
You need to be on a solid block when this happens
you push the statue horizontally. No need to mess with the block above or below it.
on the far left and right the two grabby hands are adjacent to eachother on activated tiles so there's no need to activate both in front of them. Just one is enough. That gives you more leeway in how you move.
to steal an activated square you will have to plug one of the two small holes right next to the so you can loop on yourself and grab an activated tile.
A tile you could use for this is the most bottom tile, in exactly the middle of the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i've reached the second set of puzzles with sword and it's not getting any easier. very happy to get some properly difficult rooms though, i think it's a little bit of a shame that so much of the challenge of the base game's hard mode rooms can be circumvented when they're so brilliantly constructed