Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sorry about your bike slidebite, but good on you taking it easy on the old lady. I hope things work out to where you are made whole again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
If they total it maybe buy it back and make it a naked/frankenbike.

Maybe buy a ZX4RR or gsx8r or some flavor of aprilia

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A naked Concourse would sure be something :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Shame, was a nice bike. Enjoy bike shopping!

Nice on you for staying cool during it all.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm not giving up in it yet, still might be able to save it. The shop can't get it in until the 22nd for even the estimate, so I guess 2 more weeks until I have an idea.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

A naked Concourse would sure be something :v:
Interestingly enough, about 10 years ago I was doing some work on it and took a photo with much of the front plastics off

Yeah, it's pretty much :can:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

FWIW, spoke to my insurance company today and it sounds like the old lady was good to her word and her insurance has accepted 100% liability. I basically just now have to get it to the dealer for an estimate.

I give it a 50/50 it's a write off. Basically all the plastics on one side of the bike plus the front fender are damaged plus the bag on the other side. The bags going to be about $1000+ ea alone.

Happier times :smith:

I am happy you're happy with the insurance company's telling of the story but in 100.01% of cases where someone operates their vehicle into a parked vehicle they don't even bother asking "I understand you were 46 when 9/11 happened. Much has changed since then. Did the stationary object... surprise you?"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ether Frenzy posted:

I am happy you're happy with the insurance company's telling of the story but in 100.01% of cases where someone operates their vehicle into a parked vehicle they don't even bother asking "I understand you were 46 when 9/11 happened. Much has changed since then. Did the stationary object... surprise you?"

:agreed:

I'm genuinely surprised insurance companies don't blacklist people more often for not looking where they're going.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 8, 2024

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Ether Frenzy posted:

It was a funny angle.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ether Frenzy posted:

It came out of nowhere!

Seriously though, I don't really care what her insurance company does to them. All I cared about is I'm not having to fight her/them on the liability front.

Her insurance company is one of those companies that cater to seniors so they probably get this poo poo all the time.

FWIW, The bike was perpendicular, so parked at a 90 to the curb. There is zero chance it wouldn't be visible in the rear view mirror. It's obviously a pretty big bike, probably more visible than my 996 would have been parked behind her. So yeah, she just didn't look, or even notice it when walking up so there is definitely a :psyduck: when stuff like this happens.

e: INTERESTING. I just googled her insurance company, Bel-Air direct.
It's owned by Intact insurance.

Which is *my* insurance company.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 8, 2024

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
A few years ago I literally had someone just back up out of their driveway across the street directly into the corner of my parked, running truck that I was actively shoveling gravel out of to fix the craters in our dirt road.

They literally just didn't even look. I just watched them do it because I wasn't expecting or ready for that degree of stupidity at that moment in time. It was broad loving daylight and they had every opportunity to miss it, I just didn't expect them to back up straight into it. They kept apologizing and I'm just like look, IDGAF, the sun already popped the dent out. LOOK WHERE THE gently caress YOU'RE GOING. It could be the neighbors kid or your kid next time. I don't care if you're sorry or not, I'm not claiming poo poo on my insurance, LOOK WHERE THE gently caress YOU'RE GOING. flat schoolchildren don't care how sorry you are.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wasn’t able to get a picture but saw a purple Civic Ute at Canadian Tire (where else).

Love to see how rigid that thing is.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elviscat posted:

By that logic, I'm already dead.

cursedshitbox posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha how the gently caress am I even alive.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Yeah I think I died in 2010. I’m baseline angry, never mind the levels of ire induced by a stuck bolt or dropping a tiny screw inside the dashboard. Or, god forbid, a socket falling in the engine bay and not hitting the ground below.

Hell I might be death himself based on anger alone.

Are you me?
This is honestly one of the reasons I wish they would legalize weed. I figure I could use the chill.

Powershift posted:

Fortunately for me, I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

I am making progress towards that, and just acceptance. I think I'm just getting too tired to stay angry all the time.

The Door Frame posted:

I've been on rifaximin (gut antibiotics) to try to help my IBS for about a week now. I thought I was tolerating it really well until last night when I pooped so bad that I almost passed out, but had to keep on pooping. I was in an awful cycle of laying on the bathroom floor to avoid blacking out and jumping back on the toilet for half an hour

You know, I was looking at the bathrooms yesterday and thinking that I should clean them, but figured that I could do it today instead because I was tired :doh:

:stare:
....well, I shall discontinue complaining about anything for a minute. Stay well, goon.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...6bc92c729b3524&

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yeah I just connected my fan to my phone today v0v

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
im not sure i would say no if my IOT toothbrush asked permission to do a DDOS.

it should be a feature imo

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Fortunately, that didn't actually happen. It came about from an article in Aargauer Zeitung with someone from Fortinet who was talking about a hypothetical scenario and either the interviewer or interviewee didn't make the hypothetical part clear. A bunch of English sites ran with the story without any attempt to verify it. Kinda hard for toothbrushes to participate in a ddos when they aren't internet connected.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I'm having the most stupid problem right now.

In Oct 2023 I got a vanity plate. Its just "NO U". It makes me laugh. So far I've been pulled over 3 times because when the automatic license plate scanners pull up my plate info it still brings up the previous owner, a jeep compass which I definitely do not drive. After the 2nd time it happened I called the DMV to check their records, and their records state I am the current owner, and mr. jeep was a previous owner. They suggested I pay $10 for a registration abstract record, so I did and I drive around with a little sheet that says the plate is mine.

I just got pulled over again May 15. I don't know what to do. I haven't received a ticket yet, but my windows don't roll down so its a huge hassle every time. The DMV says their system is correct, the cops say the info provided by the DMV isn't correct. :confused:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cage posted:

I'm having the most stupid problem right now.

In Oct 2023 I got a vanity plate. Its just "NO U". It makes me laugh. So far I've been pulled over 3 times because when the automatic license plate scanners pull up my plate info it still brings up the previous owner, a jeep compass which I definitely do not drive. After the 2nd time it happened I called the DMV to check their records, and their records state I am the current owner, and mr. jeep was a previous owner. They suggested I pay $10 for a registration abstract record, so I did and I drive around with a little sheet that says the plate is mine.

I just got pulled over again May 15. I don't know what to do. I haven't received a ticket yet, but my windows don't roll down so its a huge hassle every time. The DMV says their system is correct, the cops say the info provided by the DMV isn't correct. :confused:

The only thing you can control is the plate. Keep it and keep getting hassled, or get a different one and be left alone.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I know how to fix it.

I just shouldn't have to, and its stupid.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, that's annoying. My '92 Miata got towed by the cops one morning in 2019 because despite me owning it for 3 years at that point (and it being fully registered/licensed etc and it having a new license plate number altogether from when I bought it), the previous owner was apparently delinquent in paying registration in 2015 due to dying and the idiot meter maid didn't scroll down 1 line to see the 3 registration listings I'd done since owning it. The car was legally parked too! So why was this rear end in a top hat even looking up the VIN?

Always fun when you have to make that "Is it stolen, or just stolen by morons" phone call to the city.

I had to go to the police station, have the car's record reversed/the fees waived, then uber 30 minutes north of there to their impound lot to get the car and when I get there the impound company was very upset I wasn't going to be paying them anything and made me wait for an hour before they bothered to go get it out of the lot. Then it won't start (no idea what the hell they did to it) and I didn't bring my jumper pack because it was running the day before, the tow yard refused to help start it so I had to call AAA to flatbed the car back to where it was parked that morning.

Absolute waste of an entire day and it cost me $50 for the uber ride. :thumbsup:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tow yards should all burn in hell

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cage posted:

my windows don't roll down

Armored car?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Remote starter install from years ago was letting water in and fried something, somewhere.

Worst part is the window died 98% of the way up so I've been driving with a whistling in my ear for months.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
When I drove Uber Eats to make ends meet I was once told to park in a specific spot to make an in-person delivery at a condo (btw gently caress you if you do this and you’re not, like, taking care of kids or nursing an injury or handicapped or whatever. Like go down to the loving lobby and receive your food, don’t make somebody park and hunt around the building for an entrance and figure out the layout of your housing development and take a five floor elevator ride and walk around for 20 minutes so that you can make them leave it outside your unit door and tip them the bare minimum).

Anyway when I came out a tow truck operator was putting the clamps on my car to take it away. I ask him to stop, that I’m literally about to get in the car and leave (I have other deliveries in there too) and without missing a beat this guy goes “there’s an ATM in the lobby over there. You go get me $50 right now and I won’t impound it”. And I loving did it. This happened in Revere, MA.

The car was parked for like literally four minutes, not illegally but in a “non-tenants will be towed” spot. This was a somewhat off-the-beaten path housing development, there simply couldn’t have been enough time for a call and for a truck to make it down. Dude must’ve lived there, been on his way out, and seen an opportunity to extract revenue.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You might even say they’re…

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Pollyanna posted:

Both ugly?

I agree

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pollyanna posted:

Ketchup and Mustard?
Though my wife and daughter would call them Rage and Cowardice. Since they’re Souls, they’ve been naming them the sin associated with the color. Black = Wrath, green = Envy, etc.
Works for me.

wesleywillis posted:

Both ugly?

I agree

Nah. The later generations suffer a bit in appearance from the first generation, but they’re still fine. Wife wants one, which is also fine. It’s not a CUV, exactly, but it’s tall enough to ease her back issues getting in or out.
But, since we can’t afford a new used car, I’ll probably drop $1K on a lifted suspension for the Outback. Because, why not.

The only things I don’t like on the Outback is it’s a 2003 with the lazy-but-wants-to-be-in-high-gear 4-speed auto, which just kills acceleration unless you came it into delaying shifts, and the drivers seating position is too high in the car for me. Fine for her, though. I like the H6. Pity the transmission sucks. Wouldn’t mind an ‘05-‘07 with the much better 5-speed auto and slightly better looks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

One of my friends works at a birds of prey rehab and sanctuary. She sent me a pic of this gang of miscreants that are keeping her busy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

slidebite posted:

One of my friends works at a birds of prey rehab and sanctuary. She sent me a pic of this gang of miscreants that are keeping her busy

Oh my god, that is too sweet. Maybe Great Horned? Are they destined for re-release or will the handling make them sanctuary birds forever?

Since I started trail running I started appreciating weird things like trees and flowers and birds. I think I got old.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Muppets!

Owls are the best, we have two that love hooting back and forth at each other in our yard all night.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Pollyanna posted:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

slidebite posted:

Are they s(h)hitting on a book about owls

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

meltie posted:

Oh my god, that is too sweet. Maybe Great Horned? Are they destined for re-release or will the handling make them sanctuary birds forever?

Since I started trail running I started appreciating weird things like trees and flowers and birds. I think I got old.
Yep good call, great horned.

They always try to release them if they can, especially if they're brought in as injured/rehab but I think these might have been an accidental breeding from a captive pair so they might keep them for educational purposes. I'll ask her.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Are they s(h)hitting on a book about owls
Pretty sure yeah, lol. They poo poo on everything so probably not the best place for a hard cover book.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

:unsmith: holy poo poo, cars with actual paint colors!*

*rust does not count

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

slidebite posted:

Nice hooters.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

redgubbinz posted:

:unsmith: holy poo poo, cars with actual paint colors!*

Everyone I talk to says they'd never own a red car

They go faster... :smith:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got some pics of last weekend’s autocross event

The boy:

Me:

I ended up besting the STR class but it wasn’t exactly a big class. I’ll take it!

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

slidebite posted:

The one in back looks pissed, give it a mouse to eat.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
There was a mini car show on Santa Monica Pier today. I didn't take any pictures cuz it was just a bunch of old bel airs and impalas and stuff. There were a couple of donk monte carlos which were probably the most interesting things there but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

fridge corn posted:

There was a mini car show on Santa Monica Pier today. I didn't take any pictures cuz it was just a bunch of old bel airs and impalas and stuff. There were a couple of donk monte carlos which were probably the most interesting things there but whatever

I’ve been saying to the missus the past few years that I’m pretty tired of the same old 50’s/60’s/70’s Americana at the car shows, so I tend not to go to as many. Cars and coffee events definitely bring out more interesting stuff.

It’s not that I dislike classic American cars, but my brain can’t be interested in yet another ‘70 Nova or tri-five Chevy.