Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

n8r posted:

Why not just have the bolt properly drilled out / threaded by someone w/ proper tools. It'd take a machine shop probably <15 minutes.

I did get it drilled out, but while drilling I damaged the area the bolt seats on, causing oil to leak past. I got it sort of fixed with epoxy stuff, but obviously not good enough. What I need to do short term is just help the hole seal against the axle. It will be terrible, but I should get it tight. I just hope I saved some fork oil from last time I was in them. But hey, 10 weight fork oil and 10w40 motor oil isn't much different right? :v:

Long term, my forks are ugly and I suspect one is tweaked. Used forks are cheap and when I do the modding to make the cartridge emulator work, I want to have an undo option, which I'll have with a 2nd pair of damper rods.

I won't go on a Eurotour with a leaking fork, but I will go on a Eurotour with a patched, poo poo fork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Ola posted:

I did get it drilled out, but while drilling I damaged the area the bolt seats on, causing oil to leak past. I got it sort of fixed with epoxy stuff, but obviously not good enough. What I need to do short term is just help the hole seal against the axle. It will be terrible, but I should get it tight. I just hope I saved some fork oil from last time I was in them. But hey, 10 weight fork oil and 10w40 motor oil isn't much different right? :v:

You could put an appropriately-sized fiber washer or two underneath the bolt head and see if that fills the gap. Or maybe a smear of liquid gasket?

10W "fork oil" and 10W motor oil literally are the same thing, but 10W40 is different. How different I don't know.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It behaves like a 10 oil when cold and behaves like a 40 oil when hot, i.e. it doesn't thin out as fast as a 10 oil would do as temps go up. So (with the additional confirmation of your post) I will definitely use motor oil in a pinch.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Ola posted:

10wt fork oil and 10w30 are virtually the same thing. Fork oil will perform better because it's made for the job but 10w30 works fine. You need to simply drill a larger hole and not damage anything. Probably having a drill press and a vise would make it easy.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Would teflon seal it?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I thought I'd try to get the front wheel off the ground for the first time. I did and then almost high sided because I didn't think to keep it straight. Won't be doing that again.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This picture should tell enough words to describe my plan.

You can see the gap below the bolt head, that's where the leak is. My plan is to fill the bolt's hole with gasket goo and put it back together. The cylinder bit (which the axle passes through) will tighten against it, hopefully sealing tight enough for 7-8000 km.

Funny thing when I opened the fork. Here's the disk which sits on top of the spring.

It looks like some material from the preload adjuster has been scraped off and caused some caking and corrosion. This caused it to stick in the tube. So when I unscrewed the top, the bits didn't jump up as normal. It just sat there. Then, while I looked at it thinking "hmmm, why doesn't it..." PHOOOMP! it flew out, very close to my puzzled face.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

MotoMind posted:

Pretty sure I need to make it so my KLR doesn't sound like a Huey, not sure what to do about the rest. It seems like if the CHP wants to be a pile of shits then they can do it.

Well I can just go ahead and shut the gently caress up. I opened up the KLR exhaust expecting a cloud of fiberglass, but instead I found a handful of what could be described as solidified "puddles" of carbon and glass. The can was otherwise empty. Repacked it and it sounds better.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Just spent a half hour taking my Blast up on a rural school sidewalk and jumping off a 6" curb. I need a supermoto.

Or a cinderblock and piece of plywood.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

astrollinthepork posted:

Or a cinderblock and piece of plywood.
How many HP does that have?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
A cinderblock would be a pretty solid ride but I'm not sure how plywood would fair in poor weather.

How do yall adjust your clutch levers? I usually set mine with a decent pull to release the clutch (maybe an inch) but the way I set mine now it releases instantly, right at the end. It feels weird as hell to me but I think if I got used to it I'd be better off, one-finger shifting and all.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

A cinderblock would be a pretty solid ride but I'm not sure how plywood would fair in poor weather.

How do yall adjust your clutch levers? I usually set mine with a decent pull to release the clutch (maybe an inch) but the way I set mine now it releases instantly, right at the end. It feels weird as hell to me but I think if I got used to it I'd be better off, one-finger shifting and all.

Mine are set to engage nearly at the end of travel, but the levers are adjusted such that they are still in comfortable reach at that point. I like the controls being responsive.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Doesn't that mean if you're in the dirt or doing something where you're feathering the clutch you end up having it pulled in halfway the whole time to be ready? Don't think I could get used to that.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Gnaghi posted:

I'm not sure how plywood would fair in poor weather.

Norwegian wood. According to some, it's good.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

Doesn't that mean if you're in the dirt or doing something where you're feathering the clutch you end up having it pulled in halfway the whole time to be ready? Don't think I could get used to that.

Sorry, just realized there were 2 ways to interpret "end of travel"...mine engage when they are as far away from the bars as possible. So if I'm running up a hillclimb or something and I need to slip the clutch, minimal travel of the lever starts the clutch slipping.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Was riding to work yesterday, nice weather, got stuck behind some lady riding around with her arm hanging out holding a lit cigarette. She didn't seem to be actively smoking, just holding the cig, and as she drove little burning bits kept flying off and hitting me in the visor (wear your full face!) She also rolled through pretty much every stop sign, got stuck behind another car at one and dropped her still burning cig on the street, I was half tempted to pull up alongside, pick it up, go "hey you dropped this" and just flick it into her passenger seat and peel off.

Ashing out window, flicking butts into street, blowing through stop signs, burnt out tail lights - she was checking off plenty of my pet peeves. I'm tempted to make a "bitch about cagers" thread just to collect all the stupid / inconsiderate poo poo I see people doing.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Was riding to work yesterday, nice weather, got stuck behind some lady riding around with her arm hanging out holding a lit cigarette. She didn't seem to be actively smoking, just holding the cig, and as she drove little burning bits kept flying off and hitting me in the visor (wear your full face!) She also rolled through pretty much every stop sign, got stuck behind another car at one and dropped her still burning cig on the street, I was half tempted to pull up alongside, pick it up, go "hey you dropped this" and just flick it into her passenger seat and peel off.

Ashing out window, flicking butts into street, blowing through stop signs, burnt out tail lights - she was checking off plenty of my pet peeves. I'm tempted to make a "bitch about cagers" thread just to collect all the stupid / inconsiderate poo poo I see people doing.

That would work well if someone started a "Bitch About Cyclists" thread in AI . . . just to be fair! :iamafag: In all seriousness the cross talk about it may prove interesting . . . or incendiary.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

Mine are set to engage nearly at the end of travel, but the levers are adjusted such that they are still in comfortable reach at that point. I like the controls being responsive.
This is going to sound pedantic and snotty, but I recently went through BMW mechanic class and learned that on certain ones of their bikes you can adjust the lever to what "feels" right to you and easily throw off the whole system in such a way that you'll halve or third your clutch life. So I'd suggest just doing what the manual says, excepting for known types of bikes where you can dick around with the adjustment without harm.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This is going to sound pedantic and snotty, but I recently went through BMW mechanic class and learned that on certain ones of their bikes you can adjust the lever to what "feels" right to you and easily throw off the whole system in such a way that you'll halve or third your clutch life. So I'd suggest just doing what the manual says, excepting for known types of bikes where you can dick around with the adjustment without harm.

Nah, pedantic and snotty is our favorite.

What causes that? Or is this the usual "Hey, don't be a fucktard and overtighten your clutch cable until it's constantly slipping the clutch"?

If you could use the adjustment on a hydraulic clutch to burn out a BMW clutch, that'd be some loving :psyduck: poo poo.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm tempted to make a "bitch about cagers" thread just to collect all the stupid / inconsiderate poo poo I see people doing.

The worst is getting tailgated by some rear end in a top hat in a giant SUV when you're already doing 10mph over the speed limit on a single-lane road.

Actually, no, the worst is when someone like that is tailgating you and doesn't back off when you give the "please back the gently caress off" hand signal. I hate that poo poo.

You SHOULD make a thread.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Boru posted:

That would work well if someone started a "Bitch About Cyclists" thread in AI . . . just to be fair! :iamafag: In all seriousness the cross talk about it may prove interesting . . . or incendiary.

Nah, no one in AI is going to do or tolerate this sort of crap I'm bitching about, and the cyclists they'd gripe about are all in W&W

Here's another example. I'm waiting at a red light. Dedicated left turn lane onto a four lane road that becomes two lane about 50 feet away. Two crappy old SUVs in front of me, probably can't get past both before the merge. Light turns green, the front car turns RIGHT from the left turn lane (using a right turn blinker, surprisingly). The other car loafs into the intersection turning into the inside left lane, I decide they're plenty slow enough to pass, so I make my left into the outside right lane and gun it. At which point, that car tries to make a right turn into a gas station, without signalling, from the left lane. I watch her wheels, make the call and go past anyway, she ends up stopped crooked blocking both lanes.

Every day, poo poo like this.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
These are the times when I really appreciate having a quicker bike. I really don't mind breaking the speed limit for a second to get 100 feet or more ahead of idiots like this. Barring that I don't mind braking as much as needed to put a buffer between a car that is impossible to pass and myself. People are idiots so I tend to think the worst of them at all times to keep my bike and I safe.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

What causes that?
On the last model boxer engined bikes to have cable clutches, the clutch had an adjustment procedure that was backwards from normal practice. You set the handlebar lever to a fixed setting, fairly loose, and then you adjust the throwout arm on the back of the tranny (which is absurdly hard to get to) until it's just barely tight or something. They had an issue common with police bikes where the owners (cops, and therefore obnoxious know-it-alls, according to the BMW class teacher) would adjust the lever to where they thought it ought to be, which was like 1/16" play or something similar to Harleys, and this would cause the clutches to burn out. And then they would blame BMW and demand their beloved Road Kings back.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

On the last model boxer engined bikes to have cable clutches, the clutch had an adjustment procedure that was backwards from normal practice. You set the handlebar lever to a fixed setting, fairly loose, and then you adjust the throwout arm on the back of the tranny (which is absurdly hard to get to) until it's just barely tight or something. They had an issue common with police bikes where the owners (cops, and therefore obnoxious know-it-alls, according to the BMW class teacher) would adjust the lever to where they thought it ought to be, which was like 1/16" play or something similar to Harleys, and this would cause the clutches to burn out. And then they would blame BMW and demand their beloved Road Kings back.

Interesting, it's good to know that in case I ever buy one of those things.

Also because I am a smug know it all who would adjust the clutch wrong and then blame BMW.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
My '04 Multistrada is having idling issues. It'll start up, but won't idle right, and it'll stall. Usually it'll start up properly within 2-3 tries, and run fine thereafter until the next time. The problem seems to present itself more when the engine is warm, but that could be my imagination.

Being a modernish Duc, it's got a fancy computer running everything, so there's not much I can adjust myself. The previous owner did put a Remus exhaust on, and I don't know that he had the ECU reprogrammed afterwards. I'm thinking this is the likely culprit, and plan on riding out to the nearest dealer on Saturday, but I'm open to suggestions I can try myself beforehand. It's also running a PowerCard for the exhaust but I know exactly nothing about Cards/Commanders.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

like 1/16" play or something similar to Harleys

That's it? The clutch cable must be really loose or something to prevent it from slipping while you move the handlebars lock-to-lock. The shop manual for my CL recommends 3/4" of free play at the bars, with the friction point appearing almost immediately once you start pulling the cable.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

orthod0ks posted:

My '04 Multistrada is having idling issues. It'll start up, but won't idle right, and it'll stall. Usually it'll start up properly within 2-3 tries, and run fine thereafter until the next time. The problem seems to present itself more when the engine is warm, but that could be my imagination.

Being a modernish Duc, it's got a fancy computer running everything, so there's not much I can adjust myself. The previous owner did put a Remus exhaust on, and I don't know that he had the ECU reprogrammed afterwards. I'm thinking this is the likely culprit, and plan on riding out to the nearest dealer on Saturday, but I'm open to suggestions I can try myself beforehand. It's also running a PowerCard for the exhaust but I know exactly nothing about Cards/Commanders.

Have the valves been checked?

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Z3n posted:

Have the valves been checked?

I haven't checked them. I think the interval is 7500, and it's only been about 4k since the last time. I've never done a valve adjustment... is it time to learn?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's a potential thing. I'd also pull and check the plugs, although I'd probably start it all off by giving it some fresh gas, running some seafoam through the tank and giving it an italian tuneup and seeing if the problems go away.

Also:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/zero-motorcycles-msf-motorcycle-safety-foundation/

Am I the only one who'd feel ripped off if I got an electric bike to learn to ride on? That's great until you need to learn to use the clutch or shift gears.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Serious question, what's an italion tune-up?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

front wing flexing posted:

Flog it mercilessly.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Z3n posted:

It's a potential thing. I'd also pull and check the plugs, although I'd probably start it all off by giving it some fresh gas, running some seafoam through the tank and giving it an italian tuneup and seeing if the problems go away.

It's been through plenty of gas (the problem has gone on for a few weeks), but I'll throw some seafoam in next time I take it out. Plugs are a good idea too. Thanks.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/zero-motorcycles-msf-motorcycle-safety-foundation/

Am I the only one who'd feel ripped off if I got an electric bike to learn to ride on? That's great until you need to learn to use the clutch or shift gears.

My first thought was "Sweet I should go take the MSF again and play on an electric bike" followed very quickly by "wow that's stupid". No clutch, gears and most likely different start/stop procedure and kill switch setup. Teach people on a bike similar to what they are going to ride not some fancy bike that makes no sense for real world use.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

front wing flexing posted:

I met an old local petrolhead who, back in the day (70s-80s), made beer money by tuning up exotic sports cars for rich bankers and tax exiles. He confided that the bulk of his work was revving the tits off them and racing up and down a private road he had access to.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, I'd say that that most important stuff I learned in the MSF pertained to low-speed control, target fixation, etc, all of which applies mostly equally to an electric motorcycle. Given that effectively 100% of the motorcycles on the road today have a manual clutch and gearbox, though, yeah I'd also feel kind of ripped off if I didn't get to practice on a bike with those features.

Maybe they're just banking on electric motorcycles suddenly becoming ridiculously popular? Or maybe it's targeted at scooter riders?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Driving in a thunderstorn, heavy rain and wind is a good learning experience.
Also scariest loving thing I have ever done. :stonk:

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

ElMaligno posted:

It's scary the first time. Then you stop getting scared of rain in the forecast.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ElMaligno posted:

Scary at first, awesome after that. I love riding in thunderstorms...hail stings a bit though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nothing validates bulky leather like a good hail shower.

I'm trying to find myself, ergonomically.

It's not a pretty process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe they're just banking on electric motorcycles suddenly becoming ridiculously popular? Or maybe it's targeted at scooter riders?

The MSF is sponsored by the U.S. manufacturers and distributors of BMW, Ducati, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Piaggio/Vespa, Suzuki, Triumph, Victory and Yamaha motorcycles.

Unless this is outdated, there might be a few funding review meetings in the near future. Also, haven't ridden one, but is the power delivery even in the same ballpark?