Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

So my alert for FNMA @ $3 just went off when it was trading at $3.88 and someone made an expensive typo of 18,000 @ $2.88.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Good lord the REITs, especially ARR. So drat glad I got out of them a few months back.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Acquilae posted:

So my alert for FNMA @ $3 just went off when it was trading at $3.88 and someone made an expensive typo of 18,000 @ $2.88.

Ouch. There goes that guy's bonus. If you had an order in at $3 you could have made a cool 28% between ticks. Efficient markets, folks.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Good lord the REITs, especially ARR. So drat glad I got out of them a few months back.

Don't say the word "REIT" to me... :negative:

ghadeed
Aug 3, 2006

Is this a good opportunity to buy REIT names? AGNC is 20% yield right now.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

ghadeed posted:

Is this a good opportunity to buy REIT names? AGNC is 20% yield right now.
With the way they've been getting hammered all month it's hard to find the bottom unless you're just looking for a quick trade on a jump.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Assuming the dividend won't be cut, which is a major concern, especially for agnc.

e: I'm not really sure what to make of today, but we gapped and crapped which is not really a strong/good sign.

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 28, 2013

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Glad I got out of ARR. Not so glad I got into AGNC. :suicide:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Turkeybone posted:

Also, the demand for TSLA is nuts. I think if/when TSLA breaks 95, it'll really fly even more.

:woop:

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Shear Modulus posted:

Ouch. There goes that guy's bonus. If you had an order in at $3 you could have made a cool 28% between ticks. Efficient markets, folks.

Don't say the word "REIT" to me... :negative:

It was a deleted erroneous trade, there were actually quite a few deleted trades on FNMA today. Prints outside of the market by 10% in a tick are usually broken, and it's more or less impossible to trade through the NBBO like that. If you ever see something print way out of the money, it's usually a) broken or b) an out of sequence trade reporting late.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

drat, good call. Every time I've looked at TSLA I tell myself there's no way it can go higher. Then it does, and I drink to forget my mistakes.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Haha, yeah I definitely got lucky with the speed that which it worked out, but I'm happy that my previous thesis was correct (or at least, that TSLA went up anyway).

e: And I sold right on time at 110.7x this morning too. At least I got one thing right :negative:

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 29, 2013

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Watching FNMA's and FMCC's movements recently has made me feel like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8dKbEzKuh8

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Acquilae posted:

With the way they've been getting hammered all month it's hard to find the bottom unless you're just looking for a quick trade on a jump.

When they finally fell under 28 I jumped onto some June 22 calls. This morning they were under 25.50. I hope their pattern of decent recovery continues within the month.

And goddammit I've managed to predict the right points to buy and sell XONE so well this month and there's no option chain for them! :(

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
Pssst hey Goldman has a secret options tip for you:

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2013/05/30/apple-buy-june-450-calls-to-capture-wwdc-bounce-says-goldman/

Isn't it nice of them to share this so we can all make free money?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Goddamn it, GME, you are dead. Stay down!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
sometimes I feel so, so dumb.

I did tons of research on EXPR when they were getting a lot of media about failing and needing to turn around last fall. They were at around 11, and I had just convinced myself to buy when they went up like $.50. I was like 'yeah, I'll just wait, they'll come back down' - and then they dropped below 11. At that point I was like 'well gently caress it maybe this hasn't bottomed out and decided to wait them out.

NOW LOOK AT THEM

seriously this also happened with a local biomedical stock I was watching around $2 - same EXACT thing happened, and then they shot up to 15 and got bought out by pfizer or some poo poo.

hulk smash

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lesson learned : if you do your fundamental analysis, and think a stock is worth buying, don't then try to time the market for a few extra percentage points you loving IDIOT

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Doubling down on GME June puts goddamn it. They're Ex-div tomorrow. I can't understand why there was a 5% run up on a 1% dividend.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I bought some june fio calls yesterday :shobon:

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
When you guys are looking for stocks to buy, what do you typically consider as the minimum potential % upside you need before pulling the trigger? I should probably also ask the planned holding period since that has a big impact as well.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Dogo posted:

When you guys are looking for stocks to buy, what do you typically consider as the minimum potential % upside you need before pulling the trigger? I should probably also ask the planned holding period since that has a big impact as well.

This is mostly the trading thread, I look for .3-1% movements in either direction in order to make money. I only day trade tech stocks.

e: To be clear, I wait for the daily range to play out and scalp movements between supports and resistances that I define using magic and TA. I plan to exit trades with as low as a .3% movement- and generally set limits at approximately 1% upwards movement (potentially staggering 1/3 or 1/2 of my position to sell at various points). It's all about scalping small movements for me.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 31, 2013

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2374955

Suck it, everyone but us. :911:

e: Ugh, sorry for mobile link

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 31, 2013

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
NFLX is joining the NASDAQ-100 on June 6th. PRGO is being kicked out for it.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

The depression in europe continues unabated...

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Keep this quote around, we'll see what you say when the DOW is around 12,000

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

livingfruitvirus posted:

NFLX is joining the NASDAQ-100 on June 6th. PRGO is being kicked out for it.

Well look at me now. I finally decided that with May behind us I might as well put on some longs, COB yesterday I moved a bunch of cash into NFLX and NOV.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

The depression in europe continues unabated...

I wonder if they'll ever stop with the austerity, or if they're literally going to destroy Europe via a self-inflicted ideological wound. :allears:

I wish I could buy shares in Paul Krugman's reputation.

Moneychat: I'm so glad I closed my gold position when I did. Saved myself $2,500 and a lot of heartburn.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
What the poo poo is going on with GME? Their numbers are poo poo. Their business model is vanishing like a fart in the wind. WHY U GO UP?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

It already dropped like 30% recently. Youre late.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Fine-able Offense posted:

I wonder if they'll ever stop with the austerity, or if they're literally going to destroy Europe via a self-inflicted ideological wound. :allears:

I wish I could buy shares in Paul Krugman's reputation.

Moneychat: I'm so glad I closed my gold position when I did. Saved myself $2,500 and a lot of heartburn.

They have thrown in the towel with austerity. I read an article last night that said the EU is quietly letting countries out of their austerity agreements.

The damage is already done. You have 25+% unemployment in Spain and Greece which will destroy those economies. Youth unemployment is around 50% indicating a lost generation.

I don't think Europe can come back.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

pr0k posted:

What the poo poo is going on with GME? Their numbers are poo poo. Their business model is vanishing like a fart in the wind. WHY U GO UP?

I've been in and out of GME a bunch in the last week so I've been watching it pretty closely - after it's precipitous drop at the Xbox announcement, it was hit with a few Price Target increases so there's a bit of buying pressure.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

evilwaldo posted:

I don't think Europe can come back.

So.. what does that entail?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Turkeybone posted:

So.. what does that entail?

Low export growth worldwide, especially paired with the inevitable Chinese... slowdown-plosion-pocalypse-whatever. I'd shy away from commodities, manufacturing, that sort of thing, though if the U.S. economy keeps crawling back from the brink, you might mitigate that somewhat (especially for domestically-aimed products).

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Probably a breakup somewhere down the line. When you have unemployment numbers like we are seeing in Greece and Spain, especially with youth unemployment, there is the risk of a lost generation.

If 20 somethings are not able to get jobs after college what does that tell the teens? Why should they go? Then you begin a major brain drain and risk losing the brightest who will be leaving for jobs outside the country.

I have been playing with a theory that Europe is being held together until Merkel gets elected in September in Germany. The last thing the EU wants is her election to become a referendum on the Euro and EU. After that, Greece takes over the rotating EU presidency for the first six months of 2014 and after that it all breaks down.

As for the US, I am not sure we can climb out. It is like being the best house on the worst block. Industrial Production and Durable Goods have begun to stumble and we are not seeing enough employment growth to accept new entrants into the workforce. Bernanke is stuffing $85 billion per month into the markets to keep everything afloat and I think he realizes that there is an end game approaching.

Rumors are being floated that he will leave the Fed next year and Janet Yellen will take his place. If that happens watch out because the markets do not have a lot of confidence in her.

This is why I keep talking about risk management so much.

I am seeing a massive stampede for yield when I talk to people in the trading pits. Everyone is rushing to buy for cash flow at metrics that are just crazy. A lot of deals are being dusted off that were laughed at by the markets two years ago because there is so much liquidity in the system. People are paying crazy prices for real estate these days.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The EU blew everything on austerity. Now it will be a matter of time before those member states with the highest unemployment abandon the eurodollar. Their only option at this point is to go back to their old currency. Germany wants to hold it all together but unemployment continues to rise and there have been too many failed attempts at government. The people are going to start calling for a change and a change in leadership isn't going to be enough.

I don't think a break-up in the EU itself is imminent at the moment. It will be countries re-introducing their old currencies first. If that doesn't work and conditions don't improve you'll see the people in the more successful member states start getting antsy about all the foreigners moving from poor states in to their borders and taking their jobs. If that goes too far the eurozone will fall apart due to infighting.

So currency changes in the next few years and possible EU major issues within the decade.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 31, 2013

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Yeah the markets seem to be playing on "No News is Good News" type of deal right now. Remember how volatile the markets were when Greece and Spain were on the headlines every day? Not to say they aren't an issue, however. The company I work for reported weak earnings during those times because the Euro was so heavily impacted (and we do a quarter of our earnings in Europe). Can you imagine how US companies would be impacted if the Euro were to really take a poo poo? I mean, like more than it already has?

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

There are a lot of old currency traders that are still mad over the Euro. Overnight their books completely disappeared.

Guys that used to manage portions of corporate books for the larger European conglomerates saw their entire line wiped out overnight when the Euro came into effect. Even if you were a top trader all of your business got wiped out.

To this day they still hold a grudge over the formation of the currency.

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.

evilwaldo posted:

There are a lot of old currency traders that are still mad over the Euro. Overnight their books completely disappeared.

Guys that used to manage portions of corporate books for the larger European conglomerates saw their entire line wiped out overnight when the Euro came into effect. Even if you were a top trader all of your business got wiped out.

To this day they still hold a grudge over the formation of the currency.
awwww won't somebody please think of the real victims here - those poor imaginary currency traders still harboring an 11 year old grudge??

The euro wasn't a shocking and instantly implemented overnight announcement...

Despoiler fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 31, 2013

jayd42
Jul 19, 2004
custom title
What Europe really needs is a big war to reset everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

jayd42 posted:

What Europe really needs is a big war to reset everything.
Capitalism kind of needs wars to maintain itself. Perpetual growth is impossible and that along with increasing efficiency requires periodic population and infrastructure reductions. Fortunately for humanity but unfortunately for capitalism those kinds of large conflicts have been largely eradicated due to globalization.

In order to sustain market growth we saw expansion in to developing nations. That's why development of the consuming middle class in these countries is so important. Growth is stagnant in the first world. Once that growth tapers off we're going to have to change our system, have some wars or expand to other planets or something.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 1, 2013