Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Omerta posted:

Both

I guess I could sue the school that I got the PHD in history for being useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Incitatus posted:

I guess I could sue the school that I got the PHD in history for being useless.

It's been tried already.

I recommend a doctorate in homeopathic medicine instead.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Incitatus posted:

If I was a true glutton for punishment would I go for a PHD in History or go to Law School?

But what of your career in investigative journalism for NFL players dicks?

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Petey posted:

But what of your career in investigative journalism for NFL players dicks?

Hey if someone would pay me for this, I'd be a working stiff for their company.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Incitatus posted:

Hey if someone would pay me for this, I'd be a working stiff for their company.

Seems like a hard job, but potentially deeply fulfilling.

Kissy Suzuki
Mar 27, 2011

No honeymoon. This is business.

Incitatus posted:

If I was a true glutton for punishment would I go for a PHD in History or go to Law School?
History and either/or choices are both for pussies

Try on a joint JD/PhD Econ for size

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

No more overtime

I wish I could've gotten some of that OT.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

evilweasel posted:

Vault 100, 30% higher 2L placement than last year, since it's 2Ls it's summer associate positions. Harvard does not need to lie about their job placement.

Yeah, I know we're used to a high level of skepticism/criticism of official job numbers and all that jazz, but even at the bottom of the top (Northwestern) biglaw placements are substantially better than the year before. Maybe it's a blip or a temporary bump before the market crashes again, but even the bottom of the t14 seems to be ok.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Petey posted:

Seems like a hard job, but potentially deeply fulfilling.

Heh

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER
Any goons here currently attending Harvard? My property class uses Singer's book and I need some fodder for exam practice. I would really appreciate it if you could snag any old exams + answer keys for his class. If so you can contact me at csling AT ucdavis DOT edu

flog montresor
May 10, 2008
Can any Columbia lawgoons comment on any first- or second-hand knowledge about the Lawyering in the Digital Age clinic? I applied and enrolled without really giving too much thought to it, and now that I've actually talked to some people about it, the clinic sounds disturbingly like a seminar on e-discovery (which is pretty much what I did full time prior to coming to law school).

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

flog montresor posted:

Can any Columbia lawgoons comment on any first- or second-hand knowledge about the Lawyering in the Digital Age clinic? I applied and enrolled without really giving too much thought to it, and now that I've actually talked to some people about it, the clinic sounds disturbingly like a seminar on e-discovery (which is pretty much what I did full time prior to coming to law school).

The one person I spoke to who did this clinic (and I actually don't even remember who this was, crazily enough) told me that it involved very little actual "clinical" work and that for some of the students basically all they did was work on a website.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

flog montresor posted:

From what I've heard, basically only Stanford and the Berkman Center at HLS, and maybe the Information Society Project at Yale, are really focused on big gay internet law - everyone else is pretty much just piggybacking off the big two.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

The Warszawa posted:

From what I've heard, basically only Stanford and the Berkman Center at HLS, and maybe the Information Society Project at Yale, are really focused on big gay internet law - everyone else is pretty much just piggybacking off the big two.

Yeah, and honestly since Lessig left stanford and benkler left Yale berkman is where the game is at. My thesis adviser was a YLS grad and he said there was no contest for someone focused in gay bullshit.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blar posted:

Alright everyone I need some advice on whether to take the bar or not. I accepted a non-legal government job in the full-time competitive service in a self-funded agency that likely won't get cut. I plan on grinding it out for 10 years so my astronomical loans are forgiven in IBR.

However, I have been pressured by friends, family, TT law students, and shitlaw attorneys to take the bar now because I won't do it in the future. Is there any benefit to having an inactive license? Every federal attorney position I see posted demands 3 years of post-bar experience which I have no opportunity to obtain. What do you guys think?

Personally, I want to get out of this bullshit profession and enjoy job security and pension at some point.
Yes, take the bar. Even as poorly as law school preps you for the bar, it is better than 10 years later when you change your mind.
One major difference is that you get a bar admission date of 2011 as opposed to 2021. That just looks less weird.
That said, take an easy bar and just use books rather than paying for barbri and don't stress about it.
Also, it is much, much quicker to activate an inactive bar membership than to sign up for the bar in may and eventually pass in october or november. And there will be no "if I pass the bar," having a bar card rather than pending the bar is much better for employers.
So I say take it, but don't overwork yourself passing it.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Petey posted:

Yeah, and honestly since Lessig left stanford and benkler left Yale berkman is where the game is at. My thesis adviser was a YLS grad and he said there was no contest for someone focused in gay bullshit.

Addendum: no one gives a gently caress about Stanford. It's the Pierson v. Post of law schools - no one gives a gently caress about it and if you do, well, then the joke is on you.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

Yes, take the bar. Even as poorly as law school preps you for the bar, it is better than 10 years later when you change your mind.
One major difference is that you get a bar admission date of 2011 as opposed to 2021. That just looks less weird.
That said, take an easy bar and just use books rather than paying for barbri and don't stress about it.
Also, it is much, much quicker to activate an inactive bar membership than to sign up for the bar in may and eventually pass in october or november. And there will be no "if I pass the bar," having a bar card rather than pending the bar is much better for employers.
So I say take it, but don't overwork yourself passing it.

Seconding. Which bar was it that had a ninety some odd percent pass rate? Take that one.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BigHead posted:

Seconding. Which bar was it that had a ninety some odd percent pass rate? Take that one.

MA has that. There's also no CLE requirement. I'm techinically still a lawyer even though I've never practiced or done a CLE since I passed in 2009. All you have to do is pay your dues at the beginning of the year and you're qualified to handle peoples legal problems

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

The Minnesota bar is supposedly laughably easy. Hell, I'm a member of the bar and didn't even have to take a test.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

flog montresor posted:

I've heard that some people worked on creating stuff like searchable databases for nonprofits which is worthwhile but something that an IT person could do better than a law student. Overall, I heard that it's not terribly worthwhile but at least it's not incredibly time-consuming.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

The Virginia Army National Guard is seeking motivated, patriotic attorneys to join its ranks. The positions are one weekend a month and two weeks during the summer with a potential for overseas deployment. No previous military experience is required. Great pay and benefits. Duty locations in Northern Virginia, Richmond and Hampton Roads.

Lawyer and Law School Megathread #13: Started Out Solicitor, Ended Up Soldier.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

entris posted:

Lawyer and Law School Megathread #13: Started Out Solicitor, Ended Up Soldier.

This is not anywhere close to as bad as barista though.

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010

quote:

New Mexico is two days long, has something like a 94% pass rate, and they got their results back a full month earlier than we did in Texas.

I've also heard Wisconsin's is really easy.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

blar posted:

Alright everyone I need some advice on whether to take the bar or not. I accepted a non-legal government job in the full-time competitive service in a self-funded agency that likely won't get cut. I plan on grinding it out for 10 years so my astronomical loans are forgiven in IBR.

However, I have been pressured by friends, family, TT law students, and shitlaw attorneys to take the bar now because I won't do it in the future. Is there any benefit to having an inactive license? Every federal attorney position I see posted demands 3 years of post-bar experience which I have no opportunity to obtain. What do you guys think?

Personally, I want to get out of this bullshit profession and enjoy job security and pension at some point.

Yes, take the bar. No, do not just take any random bar. You really don't want to be forced into paying (a lot of) money for CLEs and bar dues when you don't have to. Find a state you could conceivably be interested in whose bar admission standards are lenient a la MA's, and then take that bar instead of your own.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

The context of the 30% increase is that 2L summer jobs in the top 100 firms went from about 9000 positions in 2007 to about 3000 in 2010. HLS' OCS purported to observed a 30% increase, so 3900 positions, for 2011.

Just FYI this translates as "the legal market was fully killed off in 2010 and is now a zombie scouring the United States for brains".

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Cortina posted:

New Mexico is two days long, has something like a 94% pass rate, and they got their results back a full month earlier than we did in Texas.

A lot of Texas lawyers also practice in New Mexico; ABSURDLY awesome plaintiff-friendly laws.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

entris posted:

Lawyer and Law School Megathread #13: Started Out Solicitor, Ended Up Charged With Soliciting.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sigmachiev posted:

Baristas don't get sent overseas to die, though.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I knew it was only a matter of time before someone made that argument.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Alaemon posted:

Lawyer and Law School Megathread #13: Started Out Solicitor, Ended Up Charged With Soliciting.

Lawyer and Law School Megathread #13: Started Out Solicitor, Ended Up Soliciting.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Lawyer and Law School Megathread #13: Market up 30% this year (to 43% of 2007 levels)

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

billion dollar bitch posted:

Lawyer and Law School Megathread #13: Started Out Solicitor, Ended Up Soliciting.

I like that wording a little more (and considered it), but I felt like it softened the "now I'm a hooker" aspect of the punchline.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
You could also do, "Started Out Solicitor, Ended Up Solicitee." Of course "Solicitee" isn't really a word, but neither is half of the legal vocabulary so I think it balances out.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

entris posted:

Baristas don't get sent overseas to die, though.

Yeah but to be fair if you paid a grad his debt to take a non headshot, hmmmm..

PatrickKilpatrick
Jul 11, 2007
Does anybody here go to Loyola Los Angeles? My Conlaw professor taught there before this semester. Wondering if anybody could get me some of his old exams. If anybody can help me out send me a PM. Thanks!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sigmachiev posted:

Yeah, people are actually hiring soldiers

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Cortina posted:

I don't have anything to compare it to, but I thought it wasn't too bad. I think there is a high 80% pass rate. It's also easy to become inactive. You still have to pay bar dues, but don't have to take CLEs for any 2-year period in which you don't practice.

You get your results back pretty quickly in Wisconsin too, probably because WI and Marquette grads don't have to take the bar, so there are much fewer people taking it. I think we got our results back in early September.

Kissy Suzuki
Mar 27, 2011

No honeymoon. This is business.
My study habit have always been lovely but my god 2nd semester 3L is awful, I cannot bring myself to care about any of this poo poo and I have a closed book final on friday (gently caress Transnat forever)

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Kissy Suzuki posted:

My study habit have always been lovely but my god 2nd semester 3L is awful, I cannot bring myself to care about any of this poo poo and I have a closed book final on friday (gently caress Transnat forever)

I just got an e-mail notifying me my diploma is in the mail. My level of giving fucks for finals couldn't be lower.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Kissy Suzuki posted:

Couple years ago, the managing editor of MLR took transnat in his final semester, pass/failed it, and booked the class anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Some thoughts about the legendary Jay-Z and some of his lyrics from "99 Problems". It seems to me that Jay-Z is wrong in his analysis but maybe you crimlawgoons can provide better insight.

quote:

The year is '94 and in my trunk is raw
In my rear view mirror is the mother loving law
I got two choices yall pull over the car or
bounce on the double put the pedal to the floor
Now I ain't trying to see no highway chase with jake
Plus I got a few dollars I can fight the case
So I...pull over to the side of the road
And I heard "Son do you know why I'm stopping you for?"
Cause I'm young and I'm black and my hats real low
Do I look like a mind reader sir, I don't know
Am I under arrest or should I guess some mo?
"Well you was doing fifty five in a fifty four"

Doing fifty-five in a fifty-four? Is there any jurisdiction in the US that has a speed limit ending in a number other than 0 or 5? I've never seen or even heard of a speed limit ending in a four.

But, assuming that Jay-Z is over the speed limit, the initial stop seems legal.

quote:

"License and registration and step out of the car"
"Are you carrying a weapon on you I know alot of you are"
I ain't stepping out of poo poo all my papers legit

"99 Problems" was released in 2004, and Terry v. Ohio was decided in 1968, and Maryland v. Wilson (1997) confirmed the principle that cops can order passengers out of the car during a traffic stop. So Jay-Z can't simply say "I'm not getting out of the car", right?

quote:

"Do you mind if I look round the car a little bit?"
Well my glove compartment is locked so is the trunk and the back
And I know my rights so you gon' need a warrant for that

It seems to me that the cop can do a "protective search" of the passenger compartment. Since Jay-Z hasn't been cited yet, the rule in Knowles v. Iowa doesn't prevent the cop from trying to do a search of the passenger compartment. It seems to me that Michigan v. Long would support the position that the cop could do a warrantless search of Jay-Z's trunk, but I am unclear on a search of the locked glove compartment. Thoughts?

quote:

"Aren't you sharp as a tack are some type of lawyer or something?"
"Or somebody important or something?"
Nah I ain't pass the bar but I know a little bit
Enough that you won't illegally search my poo poo
"Well see how smart you are when the K-9's come"
I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one

At first I thought that calling in the K-9 squad would raise several issues of improper seizure and probable cause, but it looks like Jay-Z's fact pattern (a traffic stop where the K-9 is called) is covered almost exactly by Illinois v. Caballes (2005). So in a post-Caballes world, Jay-Z would be screwed because he'd have to wait for the K-9 unit to show up and then he'd be caught. (And dog sniffing isn't a Fourth Amendment search, so once the dog is there, he's screwed.)

Is that right?

Final question: Since Caballes came down in 2005, but was decided in Illinois state court in 2003, did Jay-Z crib this fact-pattern from the state court decision? He hadn't passed the bar at that point but, admittedly, he knew a little bit.

entris fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 24, 2011