Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Eat The Rich posted:

Tomorrow is my turn for Boris! My body is ready.
Your ears aren't! Trust me

WEAR EARPLUGS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

One time I saw Boris and their volume way exceeded what etymotics were suited for. The other times were fine but be ready for shockingly loud volume. I’d bring foam plugs too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Foam plugs don't do poo poo

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Eat The Rich posted:

Tomorrow is my turn for Boris! My body is ready.

Enjoy! Last time I saw them I wound just laughing giddily because I was mentally overloaded. That's just with a few beers in me too because I'm a poser stoner metal fan.

Boris are one of my all-time favorites and I'm planning on catching them two nights in a row, Tampa and Gainesville. Second night should be extra fun because it's looking like my sister's going to drive down and join me. I can't wait to get her post-show take of it all.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Foam plugs don't do poo poo

That’s extremely wrong. They usually have a significantly higher dB reduction :shrug:

The standard 3m foam plugs have a 33db rating and etymotics are 20. Big difference.

E- they don’t sound as good but are way better as far as protection goes

Snowy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 19, 2019

Chola
Nov 10, 2013

Weaponized Cum posted:

So I'm Peruvian and I was just in Lima and passed by Drone Monterrico and saw a couple of grind bands. Unfortunately no stoner/doom for me on this visit. Moments like these make me love SA!

Peruvian rock is cool: https://doomedandstoned.bandcamp.com/album/doomed-stoned-in-peru

Really? I practically live there lol (it's really close to my house). It's by far the best rock bar in Lima, along with Hensley Barranco. What bands did you see there?

And yeah, peruvian heavy rock is pretty awesome, Reino Ermitaño, Ancestro, Cuarzo, Satánicos Marihuanos, Cholo Visceral, etc. All good.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Saw them twice in a week last time around including a semi secret/impromptu show at a tiny venue and that's gotta be an all-timer. They really can't be skipped, hell those two shows were entirely different sets and everything

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Boris was really loud! They were incredible and even did an encore. They played a cut-down version of Feedbacker. So loving good.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Chola posted:

Really? I practically live there lol (it's really close to my house). It's by far the best rock bar in Lima, along with Hensley Barranco. What bands did you see there?

And yeah, peruvian heavy rock is pretty awesome, Reino Ermitaño, Ancestro, Cuarzo, Satánicos Marihuanos, Cholo Visceral, etc. All good.

I saw these: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0lZPpxhmEZ/ - basically all grindcore.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The new Elder is pretty enjoyable. Nothing special, just a nice spacey EP. Good and stony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayCcCD_OrNM

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just saw that they announced the first bit of stuff for Roadburn and if nothing else that Julie Christmas set with Johannes Persson and Laura Pleasants is going to need to see the light of day. I know there's no way I'll be able to go but good lord that sounds amazing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Revolution Oktoberfest just announced its lineup for this year. I can't recall any heavy bands playing it before but this year the Friday bill is YOB, Pallbearer, Bongripper and REZN :getin:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Henchman of Santa posted:

Revolution Oktoberfest just announced its lineup for this year. I can't recall any heavy bands playing it before but this year the Friday bill is YOB, Pallbearer, Bongripper and REZN :getin:

Well I should REALLY loving go to this

ill be in mpls. gently caress

nerve fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 21, 2019

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Seeing Graveyard this weekend. Probably fringe interest by S/D/S standards but should be a good show all the same.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Graveyard rules. I'm glad they resurrected themselves, they're the type of music that I can play for other people who aren't into metal and they won't complain about it.. unlike most of my collection.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Henchman of Santa posted:

Oh hell yeah

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Author & Punisher has a new single out:

https://authorandpunisher.bandcamp.com/album/a-crude-sectioning-single

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
New Merlin albuuuuuuuuuuum

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yep, that’s a Dark Souls boss alright.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Just found out Thou is gonna be here at the end of next month, missed them last time around so definitely gonna have to see them this time

I admit I have not spent a lot of time listening to Thou, and they have a shitload of music, what should I make sure I listen to other than Magus?

The openers are Big Brave and blackwater holylight, never heard of either of them but I'll be checking them out too

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I liked Big Brave when they opened for Daughters. I don’t listen to them much at all but it’s worth checking out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kumba posted:

I admit I have not spent a lot of time listening to Thou, and they have a shitload of music, what should I make sure I listen to other than Magus?

Heathen, Peasant, The House Primordial, Inconsolable

Released from Love with The Body

all good

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I saw Big Brave open for Sunn O))). They're p good live. Worth checking out for sure.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I feel like all I've been listening to lately is Big Brave

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

kumba posted:

Just found out Thou is gonna be here at the end of next month, missed them last time around so definitely gonna have to see them this time

The openers are Big Brave and blackwater holylight, never heard of either of them but I'll be checking them out too

My opinion:

Heathen is the best sludge record of the last decade. They so fully defined and dominated the genre with that record that the only place to go from there was a record like Magus where they stepped out from norms.

The opening of this song sorta blows my mind every time I hear it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3cTlBpUO44

When I saw them play at Austin Terror Fest they did this song, which is my favorite off that record (mostly due to the riff at the end):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN5069UWmCk

If you work backwards from Heathen you can hear them building up to that record (it's all pretty good).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Correct post. Heathen fuckin slays

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I only saw Thou once but I liked what a nice bunch of wholesome folks they seemed to be. I’m used to sludge bands seeming like they’ll either kill themselves, me, or both.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Snowy posted:

I only saw Thou once but I liked what a nice bunch of wholesome folks they seemed to be. I’m used to sludge bands seeming like they’ll either kill themselves, me, or both.

They’re basically nice anarcho punks who happen to play in a super heavy metal band.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Love my Fripp doom

e: ohoho its the fucken crimson king

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Thou rules. Like Yob and Inter Arma, they're one of those bands I make every effort I can to see whenever they come around. Heathen rules, and their earlier punkish stuff is great, too. I like what they did with Magus, branching out within their own sound. And they just finished recording their collab with Emma Ruth Rundle. I saw them do a collab set when that tour came around here, and I've been waiting for them to get it recorded ever since.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

i'm also deeply concerned that he's wearing a shirt

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

chunkles posted:

What sort of lizard skin is he hiding ?!? :tinfoil:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

chunkles posted:

Marriage changes a man.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Shakenbaker posted:

Marriage changes a man.

lmao i didn't know he got married

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

King gizzards latest album probably fits here. I mean most of there stuff does too, but that one especially.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Their last album was my AOTY and this one cemented them as my favorite band rn. I AM THE WIZARD, I AM THE WIZARD :black101: <- can we get this guy except he's a fuken wizard

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This thread title is my favourite in years

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This thread title is my favourite in years

It managed to leak irl with me and I feel I’ve unleashed something too powerful into the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post

Laserface posted:

King gizzards latest album probably fits here. I mean most of there stuff does too, but that one especially.

Boosting this opinion. Back to front stoner thrash. Cannot wait for a physical release I've just been jamming it for the past few days. Haven't been obsessed with a record like that in a while.

https://kinggizzard.bandcamp.com/album/infest-the-rats-nest-2